Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? (27895 Views)

Please Kindly Adopt My Daughter / I Did Not Authorize Anybody To Adopt My Son! Pls Help!! / How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by laoludavid(m): 9:30pm On May 08, 2021
Be careful on decision to take @op, if I should advise you, I will ask you not to legally adopt him, I'm not a layer oo but I dnt think any law will support you adopting a child that still have a father whether responsible or not responsible.

Think of it in another way, don't you think the mother of the child want to deliberately allow you adopt the child so as to get back, punish and deprive him of fatherhood because of the way things ended between them?

Make your independent investigation on the reason why the father refuse to take care of his child, was it intentional or not?

You can take care of the child as your own (if you wish) but don't make the mistake of adopting him legally when his father is still alive.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by drololaaof: 9:41pm On May 08, 2021
You are the most stupid man today , love they say is blind , it is that blindness that make you think you will adopt the child . Don't mind the story of this single mum told you oh, what transpired between her and the father you don't know, when the child grew up he will demand to see his biological father or the father came looking for him , then your eyes will then widely open .

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pimper24: 9:44pm On May 08, 2021
Exodora:

Who said it won't not be granted .
There is one that happened in my community , the idiot denied be responsible for the girl's pregnancy so some couples who have been childless too care of the girl and adopted the child.
Having seen how cute and healthy the boy is cause the woman that adopts him is a nurse , the fool came back only to claim the child but then it was already late cause he got the couples arrested but they won in all the places he too them to.
The child is 8 years now all eyes is on him now.
If a DNA test gives him paternity, you can only claim the millions you spent. Thats why I said most of the time its an act of charity and service to humanity and God training the son or daughter of someone that is alive. But you know if the child reaches majority say 18, he can decide for himself and no DNA will be applicable cos whoever he says is the dad becomes the dad.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by GboyegaD(m): 9:49pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.

The choice is yours to make. You don't have to adopt him to be the dad he needs and deserves.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 08, 2021
Hear from the father first, if he'll want you to be the adopted father to his son.
insist on that first, then come back with a response from him for my own piece of advice.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 08, 2021
Telling you to adpot the child is a great concern for you ,hope she can still give birth to other children for you ,well is God that gives children.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 10:24pm On May 08, 2021
Loveknitting:

Thanks for this.

Most Nigerians, knows little or nothing about alot of important stuff, which is the cause for the horrible, judgmental and pathetic comments here.

You don't know much yourself, honestly.
Do you know the number of women that ran away with their child(ren) then later start claiming the fathers were irresponsible?
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Loveknitting: 10:39pm On May 08, 2021
Ecne:

You don't know much yourself, honestly.
Do you know the number of women that ran away with their child(ren) then later start claiming the fathers were irresponsible?

This is differen from the ignorance comments from some of the nairalanders here, the op didn't say anything about the woman being irresponsible.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by divineappo(m): 11:16pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.
I don't know you, but I have a feeling that, u might regret ur action in future

My advise is that, take care of the child with all the love in your heart, but don't adopt him legally, because his biological father is alive and will be alive (being positive), the father may someday, come for his son. In due time, the boy will look for his biological father (you can't hide the truth forever). No matter the bad stories the mother feeds the child about the father, the child will still go look for his father. Don't joke with blood oo

Don't listen to your wife-to-be, on this one, disagree with her just this once

And if she is angry with you, then she is being selfish. And the child probably means more to her

God bless your marriage
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Babinski: 11:27pm On May 08, 2021
Sonfethopia:

The law will tell the man he did not take permission from the read dad.

The dads permission is very much needed.

Parental rights can be terminated on the basis of abandonment. If the father has not seen the child in at least 6 months and doesn't fulfil obligations to the child, it can be inferred that he has abandoned the child and doesn't have parental rights. If these steps are taken and adoption then perfected, the runaway father has no rights to give any permission or consent and cannot nullify the adoption later.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by CXLVII: 11:33pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

Return another man`s son

https://www.nairaland.com/6544570/did-not-authorize-anybody-adopt#101508071
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by App222(m): 11:36pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

I did not authorize anybody to adopt my son. Never.

Pls Nigerians, what kind of wickedness is this that this evil lady wants to do with her man? Pls return my son to me.

I am the father of the boy you're talking about and I never authorized anybody to adopt my son and will never authorize or allow anyone adopt my son.

There are 2 things that made me to know from your story that I am the one you're talking about.

They are:
1. You said it's 4 years now that you've been together. This corresponds well to my story. 
2. You said the child is a boy. This also corresponds well. 

I am a very responsible man and I'm not irresponsible as you claimed. That must have been the lie you were told by the lady. She's a liar and has always been a liar.

She actually ran away with my son since then. Ran away to an unknown destination with my son and packed all my properties away with her. Properties worth a lot of money.

That was after she planned to kill me and assassinate me and I ran away from her to save my life. So she later after one year, ran away with my son and said she would give him to her new man friend, even after I had already planned to enroll the boy in school to register him in a school but she denied me access to the boy till today. I've not seen the boy till today. 

Her dad doesn't even know where she lives. She's a complete liar, a pretender, a Jezebel and a green snake under green grass. You're a dead man if you marry her, mark my word.

She now turned round and said she had registered him in school and that I should be sending school fees in order to be extorting money from me continuously, just like she was extorting money from me while we were together and she ended up wrecking me financially and collecting all the money I had.

How can you ask me to send you school fees for a school I don't know? Location I don't know. Class I don't know. 

Mr man, you want to marry a Jezebel and a manipulator, you are digging your own grave by marrying her. 

Return my son to me, I want to put my son in school so that he can be trained properly with good morals. I don't want him to be taken to club every night as she takes him to club to do evil things. This is a very wicked and evil lady. You want to marry a devil, continue.... nobody will tell you when you will begin to regret it. 

You people will never know peace until you return my son to me. He's not your son, he's my son, so you're a child thief for wanting to adopt my son when I the father I'm still alive and I've not seen my son for 4 years now. 

Return my son to me or else.....
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Belafonte(m): 11:42pm On May 08, 2021
App222:

Pls Nigerians, what kind of wickedness is this that this evil lady wants to do with her man? Pls return my son to me.

I am the father of the boy you're talking about and I never authorized anybody to adopt my son and will never authorize or allow anyone adopt my son.

There are 2 things that made me to know from your story that I am the one you're talking about.

They are:
1. You said it's 4 years now that you've been together. This corresponds well to my story. 

I am a very responsible man and I'm not irresponsible as you claimed. That must have been the lie you were told by the lady. She's a liar and has always been a liar.

She actually ran away with my son since then. Ran away to an unknown destination with my son and packed all my properties away with her. Properties worth a lot of money.

That was after she planned to kill me and assassinate me and I ran away from her to save my life. So she later after one year, ran away with my son and said she would give him to her new man friend, even after I had already planned to enroll the boy in school to register him in a school but she denied me access to the boy till today. I've not seen the boy till today. 

Her dad doesn't even know where she lives. She's a complete liar, a pretender, a Jezebel and a green snake under green grass. You're a dead man if you marry her, mark my word.

She now turned round and said she had registered him in school and that I should be sending school fees in order to be extorting money from me continuously, just like she was extorting money from me while we were together and she ended up wrecking me financially and collecting all the money I had.

How can you ask me to send you school fees for a school I don't know? Location I don't know. Class I don't know. 

Mr man, you want to marry a Jezebel and a manipulator, you are digging your own grave by marrying her. 

Return my son to me, I want to put my son in school so that he can be trained properly with good morals. I don't want him to be taken to club every night as she takes him to club to do evil things. This is a very wicked and evil lady. You want to marry a devil, continue.... nobody will tell you when you will begin to regret it. 

You people will never know peace until you return my son to me. He's not your son, he's my son, so you're a child thief for wanting to adopt my son when I the father I'm still alive and I've not seen my son for 4 years now. 

grin

Nairaland never disappoints

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by holocron: 12:50am On May 09, 2021
ABANGWABOI:

If the Sperm easy why don't yall females donate it to yourselves..
All this pained Feminist wannabe sef

...or why looking for father for the son of a donated sperm. Classic case of reaping without sowing
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by ABANGWABOI(m): 12:54am On May 09, 2021
holocron:

...or why looking for father for the son of a donated sperm. Classic case of reaping without sowing

You dey mind those idiots..

Shey a father is not important then why Dem en make this new guy become a father in a legal way to the child despite him already playing fatherly role on the child..
Feminist are the most confused lots on earth..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ogamuna(m): 1:26am On May 09, 2021
App222:

They are:

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Hangulsaram: 3:33am On May 09, 2021
Ishilove:

Pocohantas, there are fathers and there are sperm donors. A man who abandons a child at age 4 months is a sperm donor. She might as well have gone to a sperm bank to pay for artificial insemination. The only claim he has to that child is his sperm and nothing else.
Even Sperm donors are paid by some surrogate mothers. You don’t just conclude and call a man sperm donor when you don’t know what’ transpired between them. Beside the man consent will be needed too.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pimper24: 7:57am On May 09, 2021
Babinski:

Parental rights can be terminated on the basis of abandonment. If the father has not seen the child in at least 6 months and doesn't fulfil obligations to the child, it can be inferred that he has abandoned the child and doesn't have parental rights. If these steps are taken and adoption then perfected, the runaway father has no rights to give any permission or consent and cannot nullify the adoption later.
Your postulation has no legal basis. There's nothing like runaway father. Training someone else's child (a living conscious person) is a mere act of charity, though could crystallise into ownership if not proven otherwise by such biological parent however irresponsible. In other words, there's no way the biological father cannot claim the child if he wants or does not want to pay or compensate you for your alms. But if the child reaches majority and asserts your paternity, matter don finish cos at that age whoever he says is the father becomes the father and nothing more. Generally, people do this for charity and posterity. Fortunately, the child often grows up to adore you forever and that has always been the case. BTW, most of those foster or step children often grow up to be great.
AGAIN, child however, has the absolute decision to make if he reaches majority i.e 18 years in Nigeria, England and the rest.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by skedy1(m): 9:46am On May 09, 2021
Bornsinner7:
I'm a little bit confused if na man abi woman you be.. the he,she,her, him got me confused

Why does she want it that way?? There must be a reason.. she tryin to make you own the kid so that her baby papa would have nothing to do with the kid anymore..

[/b]Nothing wrong in adopting the kid but shine your eyes well.. it took Melinda gates 27years plotting her graph..
[b]

This one loud
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by higgs: 10:23am On May 09, 2021
Let her give You children first.After that,You can consider adopting her child.You can still take care of the child without adopting him.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by 9jaRealist: 2:03pm On May 09, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

How’s that even a question?
Of course you SHOULD! Congratulations.

>
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by 9jaRealist: 2:04pm On May 09, 2021
Sammy07:
So by the time he comes back for his son after spending on him, Una go be looking like dundi?

Anyways, nothing better than ur child, there will always be sentiment when he grows up with ur Children.

WHAT A PRIMITIVE BACKWARD MINDSET...SMDH angry
>
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Babinski: 2:06pm On May 09, 2021
pimper24:

Your postulation has no legal basis. There's nothing like runaway father. Training someone else's child (a living conscious person) is a mere act of charity, though could crystallise into ownership if not proven otherwise by such biological parent however irresponsible. In other words, there's no way the biological father cannot claim the child if he wants or does not want to pay or compensate you for your alms. But if the child reaches majority and asserts your paternity, matter don finish cos at that age whoever he says is the father becomes the father and nothing more. Generally, people do this for charity and posterity. Fortunately, the child often grows up to adore you forever and that has always been the case. BTW, most of those foster or step children often grow up to be great.
AGAIN, child however, has the absolute decision to make if he reaches majority i.e 18 years in Nigeria, England and the rest.

My position on abandonment and adoption have sound legal basis and are based on facts and not personal opinion as you seem to be canvassing.

Google is your friend and you can see some of my sources below. Don't assume because you are the biological father no one can take your child away from you legally even when you are irresponsible. Please cite sources to support your position and not just give your opinion.

----- Sources below -------

Biological and adoptive parents who don't fulfill their responsibilities can have their rights terminated, which is a legal action with significant consequences that is difficult to undo. One of the most common reasons for termination of parental rights is abandonment.

https://info.legalzoom.com/article/parental-rights-terminated-due-child-abandonment

Generally, no more than two people may be the legal parents of any child, so asserting abandonment may be the only way for stepparents to adopt or for birth mothers to place their children for adoption without explicit consent from the father.

https://www.justia.com/family/adoptions/termination-parental-rights/abandonment/

Adoption is a process whereby a person assumes the parenting of another, usually a child, from that person's biological or legal parent or parents. Legal adoptions permanently transfer all rights and responsibilities, along with filiation, from the biological parent or parents.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by 9jaRealist: 2:12pm On May 09, 2021
App222:

They are:

grin grin grin
grin grin grin
>

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Icesnow(f): 2:16pm On May 09, 2021
pocohantas:

It is foolhardy and against natural law and order to do such when the man is still alive, irrespective of how irresponsible she claims he is. I am very concerned that she suggested it and you considered it.

Th irresponsible man remains her child's father. She can get (sole) custody, but erasing the man’s name is WICKEDNESS.

DON’T DO IT!

Take care of the child like you would for your own and it should end there.

He is a sperm donor, agreed. My concern is the child. That child isn’t a property that she will keep transferring to any new man she is with. Before OP came along, the child had a name and it was fine.

They already have sole custody of the child, thanks to the irresponsible sperm donor- It should end there.

What if her and OP divorces tomorrow? She will manage his name till she gets a new man and changes it again?

I know some relationships/marriages can end sourly that you just don’t want to have anything to do with the other person again, but for the sake of child(ren), I always advise they apply caution.

If u r not married, u have no right to give this advice. Some men are and their families are evil that u would not want to have anything to do with them. Any irresponsible father has no right to that child.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pocohantas(f): 3:25pm On May 09, 2021
Icesnow:
If u r not married, u have no right to give this advice. Some men are and their families are evil that u would not want to have anything to do with them. Any irresponsible father has no right to that child.

I understand you, sis. But anger and bitterness won’t get both parties anywhere, especially when kids are involved.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by SaintUlot: 5:15pm On May 09, 2021
Richy4:
If you were in love with the mom... and the step son is gonna be living with you, who will he see as a father figure?...If you treat him the way you will be treating your own son, is there really a need for that?.....in my opinion that's enough....

OP, the question I have to ask you is this, If you have a baby mama somewhere and you heard that a man who intend to marry your baby mama was planning adopting your child, would you be happy? even if you were not present in the child's life... If your answer is no,

Then tell her that you cannot do that to a fellow man like you irrespective of their differences which was in the past...That if someone should do that to you, that you will not like it...Just assure her that whatever a father will do for a son to be successful, that you will do that for the boy.. that your word is your bond....I understand she wants to secure the future of the boy but it doesn't work that way.. You don't need going into any legal procedures...

But why would a sane man be taking care of another irresponsible man child when the irresponsible man is still alive? So when the child come of age, the irresponsible man will now step forward to claim the child and enjoy all the stepfather's investment on the child. Taking care of a child from young age to adulthood no be small thing.

All my efforts in life won't be a waste by God's grace. Someone else won't be the one to enjoy my sweat by God's grace.

@op avoid people that have extra luggage in their possession, don't let abstract love make you to be thinking upside down. When your eyes calm down, you might regret everything.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Jethrosam(m): 10:31am On May 10, 2021
Settle down with a single mother,and once rape victim,to me a sucide mission.nigga think b4 u do,what make her a single mum.i have such a horrible exprience.woman are killer.just think and pray to god to lead u.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by MadeMan01(m): 11:28am On Jul 01, 2021
chatinent:

If you have had premarital sex afore now, you have no right to judge.

This is sb’s happiness.

I've had premarital sex buy didn't get anyone pregnant because I was careful. You are either a simp or one of these baby daddies looking for another man to raise your child. Caring for another man's child is a liability to me. Caring for my own child is an asset. It never ends well, there will always be a recurring decimal in the firm of the child's father. Single mothers go for single fathers. Baby daddies, go for baby mamas
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Freelane33(m): 9:04am On Sep 21, 2021
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE . This is the best advise I can ever give you . RUN FOR YOUR LIFE , the problem won’t surface now but LATER IN LIFE YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF and regret the day you made up your mind to marry her . Less you forget . Stay safe man

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Man Forced Into An Arranged Marriage At 24 Shares How He Ends The Marriage / I Stood Up To My Father / Woman Steals Bride’s Money At Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.