Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,155 members, 7,811,315 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? (27898 Views)

Please Kindly Adopt My Daughter / I Did Not Authorize Anybody To Adopt My Son! Pls Help!! / How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by MadeMan01(m): 3:45pm On May 08, 2021
chatinent:
Well, I don't see anything wrong in adopting the child legally if you feel you want to.

I'll only advise you make marriage honourable as God instituted.

You are welcome.

You are funny
You want to make marriage honourable to a woman who did not keep her womb honourable for you. Even animals (lions) kill cubs that were not fathered by them. Talk less of a man. You will regret it man. Break up with her and find a girl with no baby daddy issue

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Depressed101: 3:52pm On May 08, 2021
JONNYSPUTE:
..Ana eme nu. Lol. Give us one or two instances where it has happened and ended well.
well if they want their son, they can go to court get a court injunction
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by alexola20(m): 3:54pm On May 08, 2021
@akv666,let's put our thinking cap on.
1.why does your fiancee want you to adopt another man's child when the said man is still alive.If he's irresponsible as you narrated,doesn't he have a family your fiancee can report is nonchalance to?
2.What about if the lady was promiscuous in the past,the reason the said baby father didn't give a F about her or her child?
3.What about if the child doesn't even belong to the said baby daddy?
What about if the lady doesn't even know or sure of really owns the child?

Investigate well before even thinking of adopting another man's child.
If the baby daddy is still alive find him and have a man to man chat with him.
This will safe you a ton in the future.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by MadeMan01(m): 3:56pm On May 08, 2021
LilMissFavvy:
Nairaland alpha males will not like this grin, see them rambling and ......... grin......if the reverse was the case, they would expect the the lady to accept the child as hers.....such is life.

Men and women reason differently.
A man shoulders the burden of raising a family, raising another man's seed is a thankless job with no return on investment. The man is particular about his legacy and progeny. The baby mama is seeking her selfish interest for a man to accept her baby with another man and bear responsibility for her mistake. Ultimately, she would resent the man who took it up as weak. Even animals do not take responsibility for children they did not father

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by olowo1930: 4:00pm On May 08, 2021
Sir, seek spiritual support about it to know the present and future outlook and legal counseling. But don't adopt him legally so that you will not build your home on a fire against your real children. God will help you. Every human is a trasporter God will take us to greater destination
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by LilMissFavvy(f): 4:02pm On May 08, 2021
A man shoulders the burden of raising a family is a very wrong statement. A MAN AND WOMAN shoulders the responsibility to raise a family. It is extremely hard to see a home where a woman does not contribute in all aspects, including financially. Both raise a home, and there is nothing wrong raising any child if one has the resources.
MadeMan01:

Men and women reason differently.
A man shoulders the burden of raising a family, raising another man's seed is a thankless job with no return on investment. The man is particular about his legacy and progeny. The baby mama is seeking her selfish interest for a man to accept her baby with another man and bear responsibility for her mistake. Ultimately, she would resent the man who took it up as weak. Even animals do not take responsibility for children they did not father

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by chatinent: 4:03pm On May 08, 2021
MadeMan01:

You are funny
You want to make marriage honourable to a woman who did not keep her womb honourable for you. Even animals (lions) kill cubs that were not fathered by them. Talk less of a man. You will regret it man. Break up with her and find a girl with no baby daddy issue

If you have had premarital sex afore now, you have no right to judge.

This is sb’s happiness.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Loveknitting: 4:05pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.

Some of the comments here is so pathetic and horrible,

There is nothing wrong with adopting the child, if you know you can love the child like your own,

But before that, you have to ask the father, and also seek for legal counsel, wish you and your family tobe the best.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Thereishel: 4:13pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.

How old is the son to know legal implications
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by eyinjuege: 4:14pm On May 08, 2021
fkj950ax:

Legally adopting a child doesn't strip the biological parent of their rights. It only confers legal guardianship to you. And can only be done with the consent of both parents, or if one parent is deceased or a court has stripped one parent the legal guardianship to the child.
The issue of surname is entirely a personal issue. The courts or adoption process doesn't mandate that. Adoption is not about erasing name. They do not have sole custody because the father is not responsible for the child.
Just taking care of the child doesn't end there. There will be some kinks, hence adoption, an example is they can't take the child on holiday outside the country without the dad's consent.

If an adoption is made legal, it strips the birth parents of all rights. It is really a final process and you can't say you want the child back after it's done.
Though, the birth parents have to consent for the adoption to take place, unless a court orders it to go ahead regardless.
The adoptive parents become the child's ONLY legal parents.
Legal Guardianship is another story altogether though, and very different from adoption. Biological parents still have some rights if a child is under legal guardianship though the guardian makes all the day to day decisions for that child and parental consent may be needed for certain things like travelling out like you mentioned. But if the child was adopted, parental consent isn't needed for anything at all.
Most adopted children aren't even allowed to see or know about their birth parents, though people are more forthcoming these days
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ghostofsparta1(m): 4:14pm On May 08, 2021
mystery22:
Marry a single mother?
. What's wrong with that? I'm married to a single mother.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Loveknitting: 4:18pm On May 08, 2021
LilMissFavvy:
A man shoulders the burden of raising a family is a very wrong statement. A MAN AND WOMAN shoulders the responsibility to raise a family. It is extremely hard to see a home where a woman does not contribute in all aspects, including financially. Both raise a home, and there is nothing wrong raising any child if one has the resources.

Nothing selfish about this, the biological father of the child is inresponseable, and the women is asking op to do the right thing,
I don't get why op brought it here, if he doesn't want to, he should just tell it to her face.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Hamiltonii: 4:27pm On May 08, 2021
chihes:
No cause for alarm my dear if you marry the lady legally and adopt the child legally. You can challenge the man and I can assure you, you will defeat him over the boy as long as you follow the due process by adopting him legally. Worry not if you fear that the boy may go back to his father because if you train him as you would for you biological children, I tell you he will always choose you over his biological father when the time comes.

Anu mpama! Chinwetalu Agu
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 4:27pm On May 08, 2021
LilMissFavvy:
Nairaland alpha males will not like this grin, see them rambling and ......... grin......if the reverse was the case, they would expect the the lady to accept the child as hers.....such is life.
....The truth of the matter is that there's no man or woman who can accept a child that is not biologically his or hers genuinely. Let's forget all these pretence.

If the child turns out bad tomorrow,this same op blabbing rubbish will even be the one to tell the boy to go look for his real Dad.

Notice how families who adopted before producing their own children starts maltreating the adopted one later.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Rubbiish(m): 4:28pm On May 08, 2021
Ladyhippolyta88:

Nature doesn't stop him from doing anything
Cc.wisewordd if the father is no where to be found consent ko consentor ni.T he man is legally marrying the mother already and that can serve as a cover since the child was abandoned they shouldn't be going to the North Pole to look for anyone's consent
His biological father is just anyone, but his father!!! That boy will grow up to look for him, even if they try to steal him now, it will only be for a while! Or is your current father not your biological dad?? Why are u supporting this evil? He can be a father figure to that boy without stealing him from his biological father!
So long the biological father is still alive, he must seek his consent to adopt that boy!
That is the right thing to do! Try to be reasonable for once!
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 4:30pm On May 08, 2021
Loveknitting:

Nothing selfish about this, the biological father of the child is inresponseable, and the women is asking op to do the right thing,
I don't get why op brought it here, if he doesn't want to, he should just tell it to her face.
....So when did she findout the baby daddy is irresponsible? Guess after she has finished opening her irresponsible legs for him Abi.?

I just dey laugh the op. See am see him grave when the man turns up.

We are living in a lawless country.Lol
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by nsidear: 4:34pm On May 08, 2021
I see nothing wrong in adopting the child legally. My advice is that u also seek the father's consent. The fact that he hasn't been in the child's life doesn't change the fact that he is still the father. If he agrees to granting u the consent, fine. Else, just still raise the child as still your child. I lost my mum at age 3. No one know that my step mum isn't my biological. She doesn't treat me nor my sister different from her other kids. Even when we lost our dad, she still hasn't changed. We call her daily, the r/ship is still strong.
U never know which child will take care of u at ur old age bro......
I have seen situations that biological children still don't take care of their parents, rather the adopted / step children take care of these people at old age.

So in as much as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I do believe that one has to critically analyze a situation before responding.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by jantman(m): 4:37pm On May 08, 2021
@Akv666

Why on earth would you adopt another man seed even though the father is alive? I see that you are under the influence of vagina

Are you normal?

Are you even thinking of the future consequences? Or maybe the lady is the one financing you or catering for you that is why you are under her control. No man on his right sense will do what you are trying to do.

Shame on you

I need to log out. Nairaland is full of shit

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:39pm On May 08, 2021
Rubbiish:

His biological father is just anyone, but his father!!! That boy will grow up to look for him, even if they try to steal him now, it will only be for a while! Or is your current father not your biological dad?? Why are u supporting this evil? He can be a father figure to that boy without stealing him from his biological father!
So long the biological father is still alive, he must seek his consent to adopt that boy!
That is the right thing to do! Try to be reasonable for once!

Be quiet and stop hyperventilating adopting a child does not mean you are stealing someone's child
If the biological father ran away and abandoned him he is deemed irresponsible and if he cannot be found there will be no need for his consent and the courts will see other reasons after all the child is with his mum the mother is marrying the would be father and the biological father did not even marry the mother legally.That said nobody is stealing anybody's child and it does not erase the biological father or stop the boy from looking for him if he wants to be found in the future

So stop being silly and crying why has the father not contacted the family over the years or gotten in touch with his son make person hear word abeg.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Rubbiish(m): 4:43pm On May 08, 2021
Ladyhippolyta88:

Be quiet and stop hyperventilating adopting a child does not mean you are stealing someone's child
If the biological father ran away and abandoned him he is deemed irresponsible and if he cannot be found there will be no need for his consent and the courts will see other reasons after all the child is with his mum the mother is marrying the would be father and the biological father did not even marry the mother legally.That said nobody is stealing anybody's child and it does not erase the biological father or stop the boy from looking for him if he wants to be found in the future

So stop being silly and crying why has the father not contacted the family over the years or gotten in touch with his son make person hear word abeg.
Do u ever think in your mind the op can adopt that child while his father is still alive without him consenting to it?? U think the court will allow that? The world has not gone that evil as u would wish!
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by LilMissFavvy(f): 4:48pm On May 08, 2021
True, but there is nothing wrong taking care of a child if one is capable or adopting fully if one wishes. Though I do not agree on him adopting the child, unless he wishes to. The lady should have rather allowed the child to bear her parents names. I don't know if I made sense, I can't remember the full story at the moment, but I don't think I would support my brother in taking such a decision.
JONNYSPUTE:
....The truth of the matter is that there's no man or woman who can accept a child that is not biologically his or hers genuinely. Let's forget all these pretence.

If the child turns out bad tomorrow,this same op blabbing rubbish will even be the one to tell the boy to go look for his real Dad.

Notice how families who adopted before producing their own children starts maltreating the adopted one later.

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by basadenet: 4:50pm On May 08, 2021
Is the father of the child dead? Do you realise that guy too has family ?

Never tried it, because if you do, you will regret throughout the rest of your life. is
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Emaprince: 4:52pm On May 08, 2021
Of course women will advice the OP to
Be a foolish man and adopt the child legally. By marrying the mom alone, the child can be taken care of by the OP. Something the woman will never do if the role where reversed.

She suggested you adopt him/her legally. Omo, this woman, just as many Nigerian women, is a skilled manipulator.

Look at how she wants to stylishly make another man's son the heir to everything you represent. Nonsense.

Don't let this delilah send you to your grave. Have some sense, stupid man.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 5:00pm On May 08, 2021
LilMissFavvy:
True, but there is nothing wrong taking care of a child if one is capable or adopting fully if one wishes. Though I do not agree on him adopting the child, unless he wishes to. The lady should have rather allowed the child to bear her parents names. I don't know if I made sense, I can't remember the full story at the moment, but I don't think I would support my brother in taking such a decision.
....I'm not saying is wrong to adopt but he should do it properly.
There's already a lacuna in existence which is the boy's father is still alive and non of us knows why he is not yet in his son's life.

Op thinks that because he feels he is financially stable now that be can open mouth and call a fellow man irresponsible just because the finacee said he is and never bothered to ask questions.

So if the said irresponsible man shows up tomorrow,very wealthy and take up the matter. What do you think will be the fate of the op?

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:12pm On May 08, 2021
Rubbiish:

Do u ever think in your mind the op can adopt that child while his father is still alive without him consenting to it?? U think the court will allow that? The world has not gone that evil as u would wish!
The court can allow that if the father is no where available and can be deemed irresponsible.They would also look into the best interest of the child before making the decision.Remember he did not marry the mother and him being his biological hild is not enough reason for Him to be absent and you will think his consent is very valuable when he clearly abandoned the child and responsibility the father will have a lot to answer.It is not evil to adopt a child whose father is clearly not ready to claim responsibility what is actually evil is when the father abandons his son and did not bother to communicate with the child that is evil because if the mother chose to abandon the child he cannot even hold her on account when he absconded that is what is evil.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:14pm On May 08, 2021
JONNYSPUTE:
....I'm not saying is wrong to adopt but he should do it properly.
There's already a lacuna in existence which is the boy's father is still alive and non of us knows why he is not yet in his son's life.

Op thinks that because he feels he is financially stable now that be can open mouth and call a fellow man irresponsible just because the finacee said he is and never bothered to ask questions.

So if the said irresponsible man shows up tomorrow,very wealthy and take up the matter. What do you think will be the fate of the op?

Showing up wealthy tomorrow does not erase the fact that he abandoned the child and has a case to answer which may not even go in his favour in the end.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pocohantas(f): 5:15pm On May 08, 2021
eyinjuege:

If an adoption is made legal, it strips the birth parents of all rights. It is really a final process and you can't say you want the child back after it's done.
Though, the birth parents have to consent for the adoption to take place, unless a court orders it to go ahead regardless.
The adoptive parents become the child's ONLY legal parents.
Legal Guardianship is another story altogether though, and very different from adoption. Biological parents still have some rights if a child is under legal guardianship though the guardian makes all the day to day decisions for that child and parental consent may be needed for certain things like travelling out like you mentioned. But if the child was adopted, parental consent isn't needed for anything at all.
Most adopted children aren't even allowed to see or know about their birth parents, though people are more forthcoming these days

Thanks for this. Was beginning to wonder...

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Loveknitting: 5:20pm On May 08, 2021
JONNYSPUTE:
....So when did she findout the baby daddy is irresponsible? Guess after she has finished opening her irresponsible legs for him Abi.?

I just dey laugh the op. See am see him grave when the man turns up.

We are living in a lawless country.Lol

The OP can't adopt the child without the father and law, consent. That is how its work. Nothing bad about this.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 5:21pm On May 08, 2021
Ladyhippolyta88:

Showing up wealthy tomorrow does not erase the fact that he abandoned the child and has a case to answer which may not even go in his favour in the end.
...You don't get it. He might not even want to context the judgement,rather he can use other means to get his pound of flesh which might end very bad for the op.

Let him thread with caution. Nigeria is a very lawless country where any means go.

Mind you a person who is already down doesn't fear the ground.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 5:22pm On May 08, 2021
Loveknitting:

The OP can't adopt the child without the father and law, consent. That is how its work. Nothing bad about this.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:23pm On May 08, 2021
JONNYSPUTE:
...You don't get it. He might not even want to context the judgement,rather he can use other means to get his pound of flesh which might end very bad for the op.

Let him thread with caution. Nigeria is a very lawless country where any means go.

Mind you a person who is already down doesn't fear the ground.
Las Las the man go go jail it was even a good thing he was absent from the child's life since he kukuma get criminal tendencies grin
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 5:25pm On May 08, 2021
Ladyhippolyta88:

Las Las the man go go jail it was even a good thing he was absent from the child's life since he kukuma get criminal tendencies grin
...And you think that he will do it openly? There are so many ways to get something's done.

Nne jiri ya wayo. Ihe mmadu amaghi kariri ya.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

I Stood Up To My Father / Woman Steals Bride’s Money At Wedding / Husband, Wife Compete For Adultery After Failed Marriage In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.