Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,233 members, 7,811,649 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? (27904 Views)

Please Kindly Adopt My Daughter / I Did Not Authorize Anybody To Adopt My Son! Pls Help!! / How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pol23: 2:40pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.
I hope you will read this.. because I'm responding late.
I'm currently advising a friend to legally adopt his girlfriend's daughter...
Story in full....
My Friend met this lady assuming she's single and without child...they get to know each other better,have sex and all...Then intimacy reveals some sh*t.
This Lady has a 7 year old daughter, product of college love and lust.
This my friend made some good fortune while with this lady...( I know it might be time and time can change... I also know some people have good fortune on them.... There's a mix up, i know)
I asked this my friend,if He loves her for who she's and her character..He said yes...
His plan.....
He planned to marry the lady and let her daughter lives with her grandma and she can only come to visit them....
He also planned to take full responsibility of the little girls welfare and schooling....
But I won't subscribe to such... if you're spending the money you need the value...
Imagine the little girl turn out to be Onkojo Iweala, and her drunkard or irresponsible father just come to claim her just like that....
OP in your case,
Do you love the lady that much, pvssy can be tiring oooo...
Character goes beyond love...Walai... I'm a married man....A HAPPY ONE.
Also,you have to be the easy one.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pocohantas(f): 2:43pm On May 08, 2021
fkj950ax:

Legally adopting a child doesn't strip the biological parent of their rights. It only confers legal guardianship to you. And can only be done with the consent of both parents, or if one parent is deceased or a court has stripped one parent the legal guardianship to the child.
The issue of surname is entirely a personal issue. The courts or adoption process doesn't mandate that. Adoption is not about erasing name. They do not have sole custody because the father is not responsible for the child.
Just taking care of the child doesn't end there. There will be some kinks, hence adoption, an example is they can't take the child on holiday outside the country without the dad's consent.

Okay. I thought it includes name.

Yes to the highlighted. The man would have no say in the grand scheme of things. Too extreme. But then, considering the highlighted again, it is not such a bad idea.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by wisewordd: 2:46pm On May 08, 2021
pocohantas:

Yes to the highlighted. That is what I meant by erase. The man would have no say in the grand scheme of things. Too extreme. But then, considering the highlighted again, it is not such a bad idea.
That's if they don't claim the dad is dead because that's where it's heading to with the "irresponsible."
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by sorepco(m): 2:47pm On May 08, 2021
If it were a girl i will say afopt. But a boy? Raise him like yours but dont adopt him legally! Je might want a 100% share of ur properties as the '1st son'. No listen to that woman . The boy can stay with u guys n u treat him as a son...dont adopt him.
If u had son older than him already i wud ve said adopt him!
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Hamiltonii: 2:48pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

Mumu over sabi lover boy like you. Have you heard from the boy's father? Go ahead and adopt a male child before having your own naa.

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by vikinatius(m): 2:50pm On May 08, 2021
My answer is no because that irresponsible nigga is still alive, may realise soon or is probably seeking a greener pasture.

Be careful and don't get into someone's business. Mind yours.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Sterope(f): 2:50pm On May 08, 2021
What if the child decides to take his name? What would you say to that?
pocohantas:

Yes to the highlighted. The man would have no say in the grand scheme of things. Too extreme. But then, considering the highlighted again, it is not such a bad idea.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Romanoff(f): 2:53pm On May 08, 2021
Arabiandude:

Can he adopt the child without the child biological father consenting to it?

I go born, because maybe I am financially unable to cater for the child, one man will come from nowhere and adopt my child and automatically becomes my child father without my consent. All of una do well

Na kill I go kill both the man and the mother of my child

Being financially incapable of taking care of the child is not the same as being an absentee father.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pocohantas(f): 2:53pm On May 08, 2021
Sterope:
What if the child decides to take his name? What would you say to that?

The child is only 4. What does he know about taking names?

Kids will always be kids. It is who they see that they know. This includes their parents. So all this talk of the man coming to claim the child later holds no water. Out of curiosity the child might be tempted to find his/her root or know the father’s reason for supposedly abandoning him, but that is about it.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 2:54pm On May 08, 2021
pocohantas:

... No matter how we twist this matter. As long as the man is alive,the court or agency will definitely request for him atleast to show why the child shouldn't be given out for adoption.
So it's not so easy as people make it seem.

They can only do that if they claim he is dead and present a certificate to prove it which in this case ,will be a crime.

I still suggest he takes care of him and have it in mind that anything can happen.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 08, 2021
OP
I beg you
Don't adopt that child.
Take care of the child ✓
Love the child ✓
Legally adopt the child ❌❌❌❌❌

Please.
Don't make decisions just because of love.
It will haunt you for decades
You will feel the effect so many years down the line and regret it.
YOU ARE A MAN!
Don't follow woman's advice about your life.
Don't be a pawn in a woman's battle with another man!!
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Hamiltonii: 2:57pm On May 08, 2021
Ishilove:

Pocohantas, there are fathers and there are sperm donors. A man who abandons a child at age 4 months is a sperm donor. She might as well have gone to a sperm bank to pay for artificial insemination. The only claim he has to that child is his sperm and nothing else.

Simp. Have you heard from the man?
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Dminister(m): 2:58pm On May 08, 2021
Op, actually you love her but not good to be eating family man food when you haven't done the right thing. Only few men knows when a woman gives birth to child the first time down there becomes more sweeter. It becomes more juicy especially the clit becomes larger. Don't go there!

Op, when you were enjoying the juicy puna all by yourself didn't come to ask for our advise about adopting her child, now that she asked you to adopt her child you are asking us to advise you.

Okay, wait let me go to the barber shop to have clean shaving first. I am very sure when I come back I shall give you good advise.

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Elidrisy20: 2:59pm On May 08, 2021
If you must marry her, take the child to kalakuta republic or any monestry
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Glamgurl: 3:01pm On May 08, 2021
The way some men or guys think sometimes amazes me. So nobody should marry single mothers abi? Fact remains that some single mothers are far better than some of your so called single ladies. Another fact is that not all single mothers are wretched and plan to inherit their spouse's properties, some single mothers are even richer than the men they want to remarry. So deal with issues generally and not based on particular cases that you know that ended badly. Some end really great and well.
Now to the issue of adoption, I don't see anything wrong in adopting her child, there's nothing binding in law that the man should be financially responsible for the child neither is the woman asking for that. She might want a change of name for different reasons. If they want to travel out of the country as a family for example, the child having a different surname will pose a problem and to avoid criticism or the child feeling out of place when they all grow up. Another point is that the man and his family are not even interested in the child so what's the point keeping their name?
Let us stop stigmatizing single mothers, no woman wishes to be in that situation. There are single fathers too who remarry, I'm sure they never planned for their lives to be that way. A lot of men/women are victims of horrible relationships and marriages with pretenders, they would have been deep into the relationship/marriage before discovering they made a grave mistake. You that you are judging today, you never know what will befall you maritally which will not be your fault. Even pastors divorce and remarry. STOP THE STIGMATISATION ESP. TOWARDS WOMEN!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Arabiandude: 3:03pm On May 08, 2021
Romanoff:

Being financially incapable of taking care of the child is not the same as being an absentee father.
Do you know why he is absent?
Do you know if he had to travel out for greener pastures and things hasn't been going as planned for him?
Do you know if maybe he passed through libya road for greener pastures and he is somewhere in jail in libya or he was able to cross to europe and he is somewhere in jail in Europe?
The girl surely knows the family of her baby daddy, has she gone to the baby daddy family house and the man family to her they have been hearing from their son and he said he is not responsible for the child?

Let the OP follows the girl to the child father's family house to seek for consent before they take any decisions.

But you actually seems like a wicked woman with a wicked heart.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Depressed101: 3:07pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

Why take care of a child that is not yours legally... Why not legally make him yours so that when he grows up nobody will come and knock on your door and say give me my son.. (THEY WILL SURELY Do) so if you intend to take full responsibility for the child, it is advisable that you make him yours with love..
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Romanoff(f): 3:09pm On May 08, 2021
Arabiandude:

Do you know why he is absent?
Do you know if he had to travel out for greener pastures and things hasn't been going as planned for him?
Do you know if maybe he passed through libya road for greener pastures and he is somewhere in jail in libya or he was able to cross to europe and he is somewhere in jail in Europe?
The girl surely knows the family of her baby daddy, has she gone to the baby daddy family house and the man family to her they have been hearing from their son and he said he is not responsible for the child?

Let the OP follows the girl to the child father's family house to seek for consent before they take any decisions.

But you actually seems like a wicked woman with a wicked heart.

Yes o. I am a very wicked woman with no heart at all. If you Google "wicked woman with no heart", you'll see me there.

What part of "seek legal counsel" did you not understand or do you have selective blindness?

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by luluosas(m): 3:13pm On May 08, 2021
Fiancee indeed! Go and marry and stop fornication before you think of adoption?
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 3:14pm On May 08, 2021
Depressed101:

Why take care of a child that is not yours legally... Why not legally make him yours so that when he grows up nobody will come and knock on your door and say give me my son.. (THEY WILL SURELY Do) so if you intend to take full responsibility for the child, it is advisable that you make him yours with love..
..Ana eme nu. Lol. Give us one or two instances where it has happened and ended well.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 3:15pm On May 08, 2021
chatinent:
Well, I don't see anything wrong in adopting the child legally if you feel you want to.

I'll only advise you make marriage honourable as God instituted.

You are welcome.
When you don't wanna talk from both side of the mouth....

'I'll only advise you make marriage honourable as God instituted'

Either way, OP, kindly think about this line..
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by TheGift: 3:17pm On May 08, 2021
If you had asked , should you adopt your WIFE's Son legally, the question would be easier to answer.

The only reason I see for you to be skeptical is as per how it affects the biological Father I.e if He has a say in the matter.

I think there may be a case for legal adoption based on His irresponsibility and the fact that they were not legally married. However, I would want to get the Father's perspective and make it as smooth as possible.

I would also want to know why it is important to your Wife to be, there might be other ways of addressing her concerns and reassuring her fears.

Otherwise, people are adopting even Children of other races, talk less of a child that was carried and born by your own wives womb, the same womb that will hopefully carry your child.

Akv666:
Good day guys,

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Arabiandude: 3:19pm On May 08, 2021
JONNYSPUTE:
... No matter how we twist this matter. As long as the man is alive,the court or agency will definitely request for him atleast to show why the child shouldn't be given out for adoption.
So it's not so easy as people make it seem.

They can only do that if they claim he is dead and present a certificate to prove it which in this case ,will be a crime.

I still suggest he takes care of him and have it in mind that anything can happen.
Even if they chose to lie to the court that the man is dead, aside presenting a death certificate to the court, I feels a court paper also have to be serve to the man's family to appear in court.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by TheGift: 3:19pm On May 08, 2021
This is very sound advice. Well said..
Glamgurl:
The way some men or guys think sometimes amazes me. So nobody should marry single mothers abi? Fact remains that some single mothers are far better than some of your so called single ladies. Another fact is that not all single mothers are wretched and plan to inherit their spouse's properties, some single mothers are even richer than the men they want to remarry. So deal with issues generally and not based on particular cases that you know that ended badly. Some end really great and well.
Now to the issue of adoption, I don't see anything wrong in adopting her child, there's nothing binding in law that the man should be financially responsible for the child neither is the woman asking for that. She might want a change of name for different reasons. If they want to travel out of the country as a family for example, the child having a different surname will pose a problem and to avoid criticism or the child feeling out of place when they all grow up. Another point is that the man and his family are not even interested in the child so what's the point keeping their name?
Let us stop stigmatizing single mothers, no woman wishes to be in that situation. There are single fathers too who remarry, I'm sure they never planned for their lives to be that way. A lot of men/women are victims of horrible relationships and marriages with pretenders, they would have been deep into the relationship/marriage before discovering they made a grave mistake. You that you are judging today, you never know what will befall you maritally which will not be your fault. Even pastors divorce and remarry. STOP THE STIGMATISATION ESP. TOWARDS WOMEN!
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 3:20pm On May 08, 2021
Arabiandude:

Even if they chose to lie to the court that the man is dead, aside presenting a death certificate to the court, I feels a court paper also have to be serve to the man's family to appear in court.
.... Thank you. Let them be deceiving the guy. Them think say we dey yankee.

Only God will help him to be alive if the said irresponsible man is truly irresponsible when he finds out.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Sterope(f): 3:26pm On May 08, 2021
When he is gold enough to do so.
pocohantas:

The child is only 4. What does he know about taking names?

Kids will always be kids. It is who they see that they know. This includes their parents. So all this talk of the man coming to claim the child later holds no water. Out of curiosity the child might be tempted to find his/her root or know the father’s reason for supposedly abandoning him, but that is about it.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pocohantas(f): 3:33pm On May 08, 2021
Sterope:
When he is gold enough to do so.

That is fine na. cheesy
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 3:36pm On May 08, 2021
Rubbiish:

@bold nature stops op from doing it!
The biological father is still alive & without his consent to this arrangement, it is stealing!
He can be a father figure to that boy without stealing him! Forget the legal procedures, op is simply trying to steal someone's child!

Nature doesn't stop him from doing anything
Cc.wisewordd if the father is no where to be found consent ko consentor ni.T he man is legally marrying the mother already and that can serve as a cover since the child was abandoned they shouldn't be going to the North Pole to look for anyone's consent
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Peterosky(m): 3:38pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

.Nairaland is the last place you should seek advice on issues like this. You will certainly be misled if you depend on popular opinion from Nairaland. There's nothing wrong in adopting the child. The mother remains the final decision on who fathers a child. So the baby's father is as powerless as death if the position of the mother and the law grants you paternity over the child. And for the records, there's nothing wrong marrying a single mother. Happy Married Life in advance.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 3:39pm On May 08, 2021
TheGift:
If you had asked , should you adopt your WIFE's Son legally, the question would be easier to answer.

The only reason I see for you to be skeptical is as per how it affects the biological Father I.e if He has a say in the matter.

I think there may be a case for legal adoption based on His irresponsibility and the fact that they were not legally married. However, I would want to get the Father's perspective and make it as smooth as possible.

I would also want to know why it is important to your Wife to be, there might be other ways of addressing her concerns and reassuring her fears.

Otherwise, people are adopting even Children of other races, talk less of a child that was carried and born by your own wives womb, the same womb that will hopefully carry your child.

@bold.My point all along
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 3:40pm On May 08, 2021
Glamgurl:

God bless
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by WoundedLamb: 3:41pm On May 08, 2021
Dude, follow your heart. In your position, I would want to adopt him too cause even if you don't adopt him, he's still your lady's child and you'd still contribute to his upbringing. So why not just make him your child? But the real question is, can you do this without the father's consent? If you can, would that be fair to him? Empathy demands that you get him involved in the plan. It's morally right even if the law doesn't demand that (I'd be surprised if it doesn't).

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

I Stood Up To My Father / Woman Steals Bride’s Money At Wedding / Husband, Wife Compete For Adultery After Failed Marriage In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.