Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,196 members, 7,811,515 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? (27901 Views)

Please Kindly Adopt My Daughter / I Did Not Authorize Anybody To Adopt My Son! Pls Help!! / How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 5:33pm On May 08, 2021
JONNYSPUTE:
...And you think that he will do it openly? There are so many ways to get something's done.

Nne jiri ya wayo. Ihe mmadu amaghi kariri ya.
I know jor grin grin

God will help all of them
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pimper24: 5:42pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.
OK here you go. This is a candid advise for you are threading a familiar terrain (you know what i mean sad)and there is nothing absolutely wrong in your decision.
First, Nairaland is the wrongest place to seek sundry advise as the level of ignorance there ranks quite high (pls google Quora and seek such advise there).
Train that boy or girl as an act of charity and do not adopt legally cos it will not be granted if the father lives, however irresponsible he is. The child can answer your surname for the benefits that will acrue from you, better integration with your biological kids and to avert discriminations.
Train that boy as an act of love you have for the mum and humanity in general.
Finally, the position of the law is that if you train the child, hold him out as our own and do other things that show you acknowledge his paternity, he is your son under the law. So, no adoption is needed.
If he reaches majority, he is at liberty to fend for the biological dad (they seldom do that, of course), but you are the father he knows my friend.
BTW, how wise can we even be in our own eyes? this question goes to those demonizing single moms.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 08, 2021
Shut up, and how did u come to conclusion that it was the father of the child abandoned his child. Or the mother fled with her lustful partner and prevent the man from seeing the child. No man throws his money to a woman that won’t allow the man close to the biological father. Let him fend for the boy when he grows he will strike a bow through his heart right from the back....
Richy4:

It takes two to make babies.. she did not climb ontop of herself and got pregnant.... I do not think OP was wrong in calling him irresponsible if truly he abandon mother and child when he was only 4 months... I don't think it's right to support bad behavior and irresponsibility ....
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Richy4(m): 5:52pm On May 08, 2021
drnoel:

This is sentiments. There are some countries you can't go to with another man's son hence the need to adopt the boy. I believe that's why the OP is asking the question. If the biological father is out of the picture and has been for a while. There is nothing against adopting the boy. Pls remove sentiments out of logic.

Yes I agree with you @ bold man. but when he is traveling outside the country, is he gonna travel alone without the mother?

There are spaces for declaration in terms of visa purposes... when a form is filled, you will be asked how those accompanying you were related to you.. (A step father can be declared)... It is a not an automatic disqualification because you were not the biological parent... what it will only take will be 2- 3 weeks for the documentation and verification of IDs to be delayed just to make sure he was whom you said he was...

But issues and complication of this kind of thing supersedes only traveling document and purposes.. eg
<< Who is the real first son of the family?
<<< If the man is from Igbo land, there are certain traditional things they will like the biological son to do.. if that should happen, that boy will feel insulted...
<<< what about the issue of a troubled son that does not what to see himself as the second son and demands to take his rightful position as the biological child.. this can be avoided now...
<<< If he adopts the BOY now, and maybe.. Just maybe... issue of divorce comes up later in their life, do you think OP will find it easy?
This whole thing is complicated... I wish OP can just be a father figure to the boy... do his best as a father and forget this legal thing..
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Richy4(m): 5:54pm On May 08, 2021
Fulaniherdmens:
Shut up, and how did u come to conclusion that it was the father of the child abandoned his child. Or the mother fled with her lustful partner and prevent the man from seeing the child. No man throws his money to a woman that won’t allow the man close to the biological father. Let him fend for the boy when he grows he will strike a bow through his heart right from the back....

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Loveknitting: 6:03pm On May 08, 2021
Ladyhippolyta88:

The court can allow that if the father is no where available and can be deemed irresponsible.They would also look into the best interest of the child before making the decision.Remember he did not marry the mother and him being his biological hild is not enough reason for Him to be absent and you will think his consent is very valuable when he clearly abandoned the child and responsibility the father will have a lot to answer.It is not evil to adopt a child whose father is clearly not ready to claim responsibility what is actually evil is when the father abandons his son and did not bother to communicate with the child that is evil because if the mother chose to abandon the child he cannot even hold her on account when he absconded that is what is evil.

Thanks for this.

Most Nigerians, knows little or nothing about alot of important stuff, which is the cause for the horrible, judgmental and pathetic comments here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by emmyN(m): 6:08pm On May 08, 2021
pocohantas:

It is foolhardy and against natural law and order to do such when the man is still alive, irrespective of how irresponsible she claims he is. I am very concerned that she suggested it and you considered it.

Th irresponsible man remains her child's father. She can get (sole) custody, but erasing the man’s name is WICKEDNESS.

DON’T DO IT!

Take care of the child like you would for your own and it should end there.

He is a sperm donor, agreed. My concern is the child. That child isn’t a property that she will keep transferring to any new man she is with. Before OP came along, the child had a name and it was fine.

They already have sole custody of the child, thanks to the irresponsible sperm donor- It should end there.

What if her and OP divorces tomorrow? She will manage his name till she gets a new man and changes it again?

I know some relationships/marriages can end sourly that you just don’t want to have anything to do with the other person again, but for the sake of child(ren), I always advise they apply caution.

Wow wow wow, poco shocked. Please help me with the number of the alfa that did your exorcism for you. I need it for my weyrey gehfren cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by drnoel: 6:18pm On May 08, 2021
Richy4:

Yes I agree with you @ bold man. but when he is traveling outside the country, is he gonna travel alone without the mother?

There are spaces for declaration in terms of visa purposes... when a form is filled, you will be asked how those accompanying you were related to you.. (A step father can be declared)... It is a not an automatic disqualification because you were not the biological parent... what it will only take will be 2- 3 weeks for the documentation and verification of IDs to be delayed just to make sure he was whom you said he was...

But issues and complication of this kind of thing supersedes only traveling document and purposes.. eg
<< Who is the real first son of the family?
<<< If the man is from Igbo land, there are certain traditional things they will like the biological son to do.. if that should happen, that boy will feel insulted...
<<< what about the issue of a troubled son that does not what to see himself as the second son and demands to take his rightful position as the biological child.. this can be avoided now...
<<< If he adopts the BOY now, and maybe.. Just maybe... issue of divorce comes up later in their life, do you think OP will find it easy?
This whole thing is complicated... I wish OP can just be a father figure to the boy... do his best as a father and forget this legal thing..

Yes but pls note. A step father is different from a man married to the mother. Step father by name is not legally adopted. The legally adopted carries more weight in court.
Ofcos no one wishes for divorce or such unpleasantness in a union. The other thing is that we should learn to allow people reach their own opinions about something without attempting to project our own impressions on them
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pocohantas(f): 6:18pm On May 08, 2021
emmyN:

Wow wow wow, poco shocked. Please help me with the number of the alfa that did your exorcism for you. I need it for my weyrey gehfren cheesy

What you need for your werey girlfriend is OBJECTIVITY. The ability to respect her opinion whether or not it agrees with yours. Thank you.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by drnoel: 6:19pm On May 08, 2021
wisewordd:
He can't adopt the boy in the first place except the mother claims the dad is dead which is pure evil.

Lol, he can adopt the boy without the mother claiming that. She only needs to prove that the father has abondoned his responsibilities. Nothing more.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 08, 2021
Im just eating same now.
Amoeba
Richy4:

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Richthekid: 6:23pm On May 08, 2021
No
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by wisewordd: 6:36pm On May 08, 2021
Rubbiish:

His biological father is just anyone, but his father!!! That boy will grow up to look for him, even if they try to steal him now, it will only be for a while! Or is your current father not your biological dad?? Why are u supporting this evil? He can be a father figure to that boy without stealing him from his biological father!
So long the biological father is still alive, he must seek his consent to adopt that boy!
That is the right thing to do! Try to be reasonable for once!
I don't blame all these single mothers that are pained on here but the MAN that's even thinking about doing it.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by emmyN(m): 6:37pm On May 08, 2021
pocohantas:

What you need for your werey girlfriend is OBJECTIVITY. The ability to respect her opinion whether or not it agrees with yours. Thank you.

Surely it can't be that easy. She has a demon. No, y'all have a demon cheesy.

Don't mind me though, I'm just trying to get used to seeing more of your "objective" posts.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Richy4(m): 6:38pm On May 08, 2021
drnoel:

Yes but pls note. A step father is different from a man married to the mother. Step father by name is not legally adopted. The legally adopted carries more weight in court.
Ofcos no one wishes for divorce or such unpleasantness in a union. The other thing is that we should learn to allow people reach their own opinions about something without attempting to project our own impressions on them

You are right that a step father by name is not legally adopted... but it is not also an automatic disqualification when filling for a traveling document...
@ bold, what every one is doing including u and I is assumed to be brainstorming....Sometime people bring in worst case scenario.. No one is projecting anything....If OP has it all put together he will not have created the thread right?...

He wanted Opinion in a public space... so he will get the good, the bad and the ugly. at the end of the day, it's always him and him alone that will make the final decision... There are some view and some minor details that he won't think of.. but if someone could mention it, it might be helpful to him... That's the importance of brainstorming..
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Richy4(m): 6:42pm On May 08, 2021
Fulaniherdmens:
Im just eating same now.
Amoeba

I can't waste my time on an individual with comprehension issues... have a good day
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by pocohantas(f): 6:43pm On May 08, 2021
emmyN:

Surely it can't be that easy. She has a demon. No, y'all have a demon cheesy.

Don't mind me though, I'm just trying to get used to seeing more of your "objective" posts.

Any posts from a female that makes men feel better is OBJECTIVE and LOGICAL.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Exodora: 6:47pm On May 08, 2021
Sammy07:

So by the time he comes back for his son after spending on him, Una go be looking like dundi?

Anyways, nothing better than ur child, there will always be sentiment when he grows up with ur Children.
This is bullshi# you really think that is all it takes to be a father . DNA yes but legally he will loose .
Ones he adopts that child he automatically becomes his child .
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 08, 2021
But you wasted ur sense to reply my post. Fool of a took. Maybe you are among the sugar mummy peddlers. Keep chasing people wife one day your cup will full.
Richy4:

I can't waste my time on an individual with comprehension issues... have a good day
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by emmyN(m): 6:52pm On May 08, 2021
pocohantas:

Any posts from a female that makes men feel better is OBJECTIVE and LOGICAL.

You got it. We are the power house of objectivity and logical deductions, so if we like it, heck it's logical cheesy!
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Exodora: 6:52pm On May 08, 2021
Bornsinner7:
I'm a little bit confused if na man abi woman you be.. the he,she,her, him got me confused

Why does she want it that way?? There must be a reason.. she tryin to make you own the kid so that her baby papa would have nothing to do with the kid anymore..

Nothing wrong in adopting the kid but shine your eyes well.. it took Melinda gates 27years plotting her graph..
The idiot has decided not to do anything so why do you think the woman wants him to adopt the child so that the child's father will have nothing to do with the child in future .
Sometime I wonder the type of advice people render here .
Someone that has decided not to take up his responsibility now you want another person to take it up for him only for him to back later to see it furnished .
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Exodora: 7:03pm On May 08, 2021
pimper24:

OK here you go. This is a candid advise for you are threading a familiar terrain (you know what i mean sad)and there is nothing absolutely wrong in your decision.
First, Nairaland is the wrongest place to seek sundry advise as the level of ignorance there ranks quite high (pls google Quora and seek such advise there).
Train that boy or girl as an act of charity and do not adopt legally cos it will not be granted if the father lives, however irresponsible he is. The child can answer your surname for the benefits that will acrue from you, better integration with your biological kids and to avert discriminations.
Train that boy as an act of love you have for the mum and humanity in general.
Finally, the position of the law is that if you train the child, hold him out as our own and do other things that show you acknowledge his paternity, he is your son under the law. So, no adoption is needed.
If he reaches majority, he is at liberty to fend for the biological dad (they seldom do that, of course), but you are the father he knows my friend.
BTW, how wise can we even be in our own eyes? this question goes to those demonizing single moms.

Who said it won't not be granted .
There is one that happened in my community , the idiot denied be responsible for the girl's pregnancy so some couples who have been childless too care of the girl and adopted the child.
Having seen how cute and healthy the boy is cause the woman that adopts him is a nurse , the fool came back only to claim the child but then it was already late cause he got the couples arrested but they won in all the places he too them to.
The child is 8 years now all eyes is on him now.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Exodora: 7:06pm On May 08, 2021
Fulaniherdmens:
So how did you know all this or you want to tell us that you are the guy in question .
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by elbulk(m): 7:07pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

So I've been dating a single Mom for almost 4years now and we're ready to tie the knot, but recently she came up with a suggestion of me adopting her son legally. Her baby daddy has actually been irresponsible right from start, nigga last saw his son when he was 4months old and he hasn't even bought ordinary diaper for the boy right from when he was delivered.

Now I'm being skeptical about taking him up legally, please i need advice from you guys, no insult please.

Speak to her and ask that you give it some time. If later on you are convinced then do it but please treat the child with love and care
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Babinski: 7:10pm On May 08, 2021
SportsHD:
You can adopt him legally. You can treat him with love and care like he's yours. But just know that he's not yours. The father might come for him one day.
One of my Broski's married a single mom with 3 kids. As far as the love is genuine, everything else would fall into place.

Other than that, I wish you well in your endavours.

Once the child is legally adopted, no other father can come to claim him. The child will start bearing his surname and before the eyes of the law, the child is his own.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Nobody: 7:12pm On May 08, 2021
Small pikin go read novel or play video game it will ease ur adolescent prime.
Exodora:

So how did you know all this or you want to tell us that you are the guy in question .
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Exodora: 7:18pm On May 08, 2021
Fulaniherdmens:
Small pikin go read novel or play video game it will ease ur adolescent prime.
From your moniker am not surprise though .
Is only minors that are quick to use the word small pikin like you did .
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by udomonday: 8:11pm On May 08, 2021
Akv666:
Good day guys,

as for me I will not adopt him as long as the father is alive.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Martins004(m): 8:22pm On May 08, 2021
Bro.... Please leave problem for who get am. U can marry d single mum bt adopting d boy is a No answer..... Leave problem for who get am. Thks......
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by ivolt: 8:29pm On May 08, 2021
pocohantas:

Adoption means the child would bear OP’s name and be assumed to be his child before the law. His real father ceases to exist or is immaterial in the grand scheme of things.

(Sole) Custody means they are like guardians but the child still has a father, bears the father’s name and the father can be consulted for certain decisions.

This is my layman’s definition.
I see. But the sperm donor is actually immaterial and does not exist to the child up till now.

What advantage does the name of the sperm donor confer on that child?

If the real parents are going to go through the legal process only to be fighting for the rights of the absent sperm donor which he doesn't care about in the first place, then there have to be some special privilege attached to carrying his name.

I suppose the argument in court will go like this.
"My lord. We really love this child and have taken care of him since birth. But out of respect for the sperm donor we want you to make us his caretaker and not the full parent."

They are better off maintaining the status quo and waiting for the day the sperm donor would show up to demand for his child.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Sonfethopia: 8:36pm On May 08, 2021
alexola20:
@akv666,let's put our thinking cap on.
1.why does your fiancee want you to adopt another man's child when the said man is still alive.If he's irresponsible as you narrated,doesn't he have a family your fiancee can report is nonchalance to?
2.What about if the lady was promiscuous in the past,the reason the said baby father didn't give a F about her or her child?
3.What about if the child doesn't even belong to the said baby daddy?
What about if the lady doesn't even know or sure of really owns the child?

Investigate well before even thinking of adopting another man's child.
If the baby daddy is still alive find him and have a man to man chat with him.
This will safe you a ton in the future.

Father Abraham, u got wisdom bro.
Re: Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? by Sonfethopia: 8:37pm On May 08, 2021
Babinski:

Once the child is legally adopted, no other father can come to claim him. The child will start bearing his surname and before the eyes of the law, the child is his own.

The law will tell the man he did not take permission from the read dad.

The dads permission is very much needed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

I Stood Up To My Father / Woman Steals Bride’s Money At Wedding / Husband, Wife Compete For Adultery After Failed Marriage In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.