Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! (17216 Views)

Missing OAU Student Is Found Alive (Photo) / Nursing Student Suspended In Borno For Not Welcoming Buhari / Burial Poster Of ABSU Nursing Student Who Got Drowned (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by muykem: 7:54am On May 17, 2021
Nobody said so, you can even become midwife if you like.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Segzy19: 7:58am On May 17, 2021
Bro, I have not heard anyone saying it is an abomination for males to study nursing.

The point is that not many people know about male nurses (depending on your location or where you come from). The societal mindset is that nursing is for females,and this is further fuelled by the dominance of females in the profession.

So when people express their attitude at you studying nursing, they are simply displaying their ignorance or narrow-mindedness. There are thousands of male nurses in Nigeria, and abroad.

Nursing is one of the quickest way to making it in life. You spend 3 years to gain your basic RN diploma, plus another 12 or 18 months to have your post- basic diploma, then with 1 or 2 years of work experience you are in hot demand abroad.
Once you are abroad, you can do your Bsc, MSc and phd (if you wish) with ease even while working.

Pass your English exams and you are in demand in UK, Canada etc. One nurse that works abroad in the family can liberate a family from poverty.

But then, don't just go into nursing because of money or to make it quickly in life. Make sure it's your passion to care for people. The passion is what will sustain you through training and on your working life as there some times that you may feel like quitting.

So leave those people expressing their ignorance, and move on.... You don't need their approval.

Life is Life!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by cardoctor(m): 8:00am On May 17, 2021
Most Nigerians believe that its a women only job especially the illiterate ones. Doctors are commonly men here in Nigeria and most men don't trust a female doctor or develope an inferior complex when being treated by one.

I am a car doctor. Check my signature below and thank me later.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by MOVIC6: 8:01am On May 17, 2021
Rubbish talk, me that is planning on going bavk to school and study nursing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by ThatFairGuy: 8:02am On May 17, 2021
Inlife, you don't let people's opinions about you weigh you down.

That's all I have to say

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by enemmo(f): 8:02am On May 17, 2021
I don't think its limited to Nigeria. Its a global issue.

I remember the movie, Meet the parents tried to address the issue. You cab visit the wikipedia page, it has a subtopic, 'Men in nursing'. You can read it up to have a balanced view.

You should follow your passion regardless

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by PissfulProtester: 8:02am On May 17, 2021
Thecreatorx:
You bleeped up big time, you just need strangers to console you and give you false hopes LMAO, nursing is the worst a guy can study in Nigeria. No matter how sophisticated and knowledgeable you are, even the least Professional doctor will tremble on you! You can't open a hospital as a nurse, you can't command respect, you'll be paid chicken change when the doctor you worked with in a theater gets millions, you bleeped up. Nigeria isn't USA where nurses get special privileges even if they're still greatly underpaid, guy better retake jamb or do change of department. Anybody who advices you otherwise is just inexperienced, I've witnessed first hand how a very intelligent male nurse has been cheated all his life. Guy use your head, Nigerian no be USA, even school fees you no go fit pay for your children, just watch!!
This is too harsh..

Damn!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by edoairways: 8:03am On May 17, 2021
Ignorance is a disease. If only you knew what you studying, you would stick to that profession.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by tnerro1(m): 8:04am On May 17, 2021
Guy, they don knowwww, just finish your studies here and jakpa to USA or Europe and do a little refresher course. You will be making more money there than what a professor of medicine makes in Nigeria. No mind dem, continue the hustle

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by pocohantas(f): 8:05am On May 17, 2021
It is not Nigerians, it is global. Maybe ours is worse, but gender discrimination in Nursing is in your dearest top countries too. The fact that it is also dominated by females doesn’t help matters. Even the word NURSE sounds feminine, lol.

No matter how woke we are, there will always be perceived gender roles. Caregiving is something that has always been associated with women. You as a man would shudder if you enter your child’s daycare class and see the child-minder is a man.

If caregiving was such a manly thing, I bet men would also be comfortable doing it at home, WITHOUT PAY. But then, money makes all the difference hah?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by GodisFirst: 8:06am On May 17, 2021
It is just individual mindset. It is not and never abomination.
I have around me many Male nurses retired and still serving. Some have their personal clinics now and they have their families doing very well.
It is a very nice profession and very lucrative.
As I write now I have a man, who after BSc Economics, currently working in a Bank, is considering going to study nursing.
So you are very much ahead. Don't let people who can't give you help when you are in need distract you towards getting a lasting and enduring divine through this self help you are embarking upon.
My last advice to you is that it is a professional life saving job, you should do well to learn and understand the job very well so as to excel.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Enn214(m): 8:07am On May 17, 2021
Just as male caterers until recently..

Na doctor's dey cause the inferiority complex.
I was hanging out with someone on admission, but I noticed the discomfort of the male nurse, always abandoning his duty... He seems unhappy if someone mistakingly says doctor & thereafter corrected

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by LeopardX: 8:08am On May 17, 2021
Lol. It's ignorance. Although the poor pay of nurses in Nigeria doesn't help matters too. The same thing applies to people who study education courses.
The fact that it's easier to get a job as a nurse and a teacher than some of these high sounding courses out there should be enough consolation.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Goodman247: 8:11am On May 17, 2021
Who said so,nursing is one of the best courses presently, you can gain employment in foreign countries directly from your own country, l don't know why you allow the myopic thinking of average Nigerian bother you

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Thryphosa(m): 8:12am On May 17, 2021
Don't mind them, it's no abomination, at least I know at least 4 male nurses in the hospital where my wife works here in the north: Nurse Awal, Nurse Gideon, Nurse Azeez and Nurse Abubakar. You're on the right path bro.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by cococandy(f): 8:19am On May 17, 2021
Because y’all historically consider anything female inclined as beneath men. That’s why when a man takes care of his own house and children, he’s “emasculated”. It’s rooted in misogyny. The lack of respect and regard for the works and contributions of women. It’s not a complicated reason.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by InvertedHammer: 8:19am On May 17, 2021
/
It is not considered an abomination but you must understand that every culture operates in its own way. There are male nannies but it sounds as absurd as a male nurse. Sometimes na condition make crayfish bend. Na your life and you owe nobody any explanations. But expect such treatments from people in Nigeria. It is guaranteed. As liberal as Americans claim to be, once in a while you will hear condescending jokes about male nurses. What’s in a name? A lot of men will join the profession if they can change the name from Nursing to something trendy.

/
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by hashtagged(m): 8:22am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:
I am a student studying nursing in Nigeria. I got a lot of recommendations and commendations when I settled down for this course. I was bred up to be a Medicine and Surgery student. I was advised to choose this because it's professional and not lengthier and can end up with a good job abroad or even here by God's grace. Plus as it stands now, I don't want to waste so much time in school in order to settle down and get a good job and do something for myself.

But when people hear of my course the somehow fumble. I get belittled. I am a guy.... Is there something wrong with studying this or should I change??
I wanted to study Biochem but I was chastised against it

Because I'm starting to wonder why I don't see male nurses..... I met one man and he eyed me from top to bottom. Another individual said I don't know what I want to become.
Another shouted ABOMINATION!!!!! grin
I've already gained admission oooo....
I'm bewildered....
Haven't seen male nurses in Naija before....
Chineke!!! �

Thank God you didn't study biochem

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by hashtagged(m): 8:23am On May 17, 2021
Bola146:
Not at all, they are more caring than the female and even more hardworking. But they are too flirt seriously lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I think the flirting part is nice, patients who are very ill would need a bit of fun locked up in a hospital

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Amorprincesa24: 8:27am On May 17, 2021
Don't listen to this guy. E no bi better person.

Continue your course after you graduate, apply to other countries write their exams. Nurses earn very well in places like Canada, Dubai, London etc
In Nigeria, male nurses earn same as female. (Not much).
Don't be discouraged! It is not an abomination.
Thecreatorx:
You bleeped up big time, you just need strangers to console you and give you false hopes LMAO, nursing is the worst a guy can study in Nigeria. No matter how sophisticated and knowledgeable you are, even the least Professional doctor will tremble on you! You can't open a hospital as a nurse, you can't command respect, you'll be paid chicken change when the doctor you worked with in a theater gets millions, you bleeped up. Nigeria isn't USA where nurses get special privileges even if they're still greatly underpaid, guy better retake jamb or do change of department. Anybody who advices you otherwise is just inexperienced, I've witnessed first hand how a very intelligent male nurse has been cheated all his life. Guy use your head, Nigerian no be USA, even school fees you no go fit pay for your children, just watch!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Xkale1234(m): 8:29am On May 17, 2021
Bro go for it many male nurse are here in the military nothing bad for u to become a nurse my dad is a retire air Force personal and he is a nurse... Omo forget wat people are saying u will regret it if u change ur course... I regret
not going to science class and become a nurse too, na very good job o, u can get work fast by the willing of Allah and u can open a chemist be4 getting a job people will rush u ehhh bcox that is ur profession.. no reason am at all, focus on ur goal don't let any idiot distract u

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Nobody: 8:30am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:
I am a student studying nursing in Nigeria. I got a lot of recommendations and commendations when I settled down for this course. I was bred up to be a Medicine and Surgery student. I was advised to choose this because it's professional and not lengthier and can end up with a good job abroad or even here by God's grace. Plus as it stands now, I don't want to waste so much time in school in order to settle down and get a good job and do something for myself.

But when people hear of my course the somehow fumble. I get belittled. I am a guy.... Is there something wrong with studying this or should I change??

Because I'm starting to wonder why I don't see male nurses..... I met one man and he eyed me from top to bottom. Another individual said I don't know what I want to become.
I'm bewildered....
Chineke!!! �

Looks like you listen to too many advices, and you do not have your own mind . Now, you are here again to listen to many more. You are the one confusing yourself.

Goodluck!
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by ekestic1976(f): 8:33am On May 17, 2021
Because they see ABOMINATION everyday. Seeing what belongs to other men without restriction!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by iscom(m): 8:34am On May 17, 2021
I know what i face as a male nurse. But better than many..

Don’t forget to click the link below for your original romoss powerbanks and mobile phone accessories
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Ogundipe007: 8:34am On May 17, 2021
I'm currently on admission at the Federal medical centre ebute metta male surgical ward for a corrective procedure on my legs. We just have 3 male nurses and they are superb. They know so much. When the doctors are doing theit rounds you see them with notebooks jotting down and asking questions. Something their female counterparts don't do. I love it when one of them is on duty. There was an incident when my canola removed and all the nurses in the ward could not fix it. They were waiting for the doctors to come fix it, cos of that I did not get any IV drugs for the whole day. The next day it was one of the male nurse that fixed it and it was less painful. I have chatted with all of them and they all want to jakpa out of the country very soon. Don't let anyone discourage you it's a fine course and I'm sure you will do just fine. Next time any one wants to play the gender card on you, just ignore them and raise your shoulders high. No doubt it's a field dominated by females. Don't let that disuade you. It's an opportunity for you to be noticed on time once you are diligent committed and hardworking. Go for gold my brother.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by ElValiente(m): 8:34am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:

I'm bewildered....
Chineke!!! �

Because it's easy to say. Booda doctor and anti noosi. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by MolarT(m): 8:38am On May 17, 2021
I got same reaction back then bro...it is naija mentality...And till this day I have never regretted it... Just pipe low, do the necessary tinz and come out with good grades...u will have a great future...am a living testimony bro... I practice in DUBAI-UAE.
JBRichard:

I'm bewildered....
Chineke!!! �

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by freeman67: 8:41am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:

I'm bewildered....
Chineke!!! �

I will tell you what I told a friend's cousin that became a friend back then. He was in a nursing school visiting us in the uni and his complain was very similar to yours. I have always known there are male nurses right from childhood because there was one in a hospital close to our house and he was liked by everyone. So I advice my friend to be proud of his Course. He should concentrate and finish with good grades and the sky will be his starting point.

He continued with his course, finished and went to China where he later studied Medicine and from there to the UK for further studies.

Do not give too much thoughts to irrelevant side talks that will never add anything good to you but will instead dampen your morale. All you have to do is concentrate, finish with very good grades and have a very good practical knowledge of it too. With that you are then free to fly..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Buliwyf: 8:42am On May 17, 2021
Thecreatorx:

Did you even consider if he wants to use his skills outside Nigeria? There are many nurses who moved abroad and are doing very fine now? So what are you talking about?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Gabe427: 8:43am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:

I'm bewildered....
Chineke!!! �

Bro don't mind them Nursing is more than hot cake it hot cake with wide opportunities and cool drink(cash)
I saw my uncle's salary who is a nurse men this guy be balling and check out their chances abroad

Even my younger brother has filled out nursing in his jamb form

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jamb Unveils New Guidelines For 2017 Utme | Requirements To Start A Cbt Centre / LAUTECH Lecturer Tells Students To Raise Up Their Hands As Punishment / FG Pays ASUU Members December Salary Despite Not Enrolling In IPPIS.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.