Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! (17181 Views)

Missing OAU Student Is Found Alive (Photo) / Nursing Student Suspended In Borno For Not Welcoming Buhari / Burial Poster Of ABSU Nursing Student Who Got Drowned (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by buJu234: 8:45am On May 17, 2021
if ur future is to remain in Nigeria, then studying Nursing as a male, is a waste of time and effort, cos in the end most private hospital wouldn't employ u, they prefer the ladies/female..

but if u plan to relocate, then please go for it.. cos it's one of the most lucrative professions in the western world.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by kingasap(m): 8:45am On May 17, 2021
Everyone doesn't like a male nurse until the said male nurse practices abroad. I know a number of male nurses. I'd say you made a good career choice. Chin up.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Blakpot: 8:48am On May 17, 2021
Didn't know Gaylord Focker had a NL account.
Jokes aside there nothing to be ashamed of, ppl's perception are sometimes archaic.
Your contributing to society in the right way so be proud.

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Nobody: 8:53am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:
I am a student studying nursing in Nigeria. I got a lot of recommendations and commendations when I settled down for this course. I was bred up to be a Medicine and Surgery student. I was advised to choose this because it's professional and not lengthier and can end up with a good job abroad or even here by God's grace. Plus as it stands now, I don't want to waste so much time in school in order to settle down and get a good job and do something for myself.

But when people hear of my course the somehow fumble. I get belittled. I am a guy.... Is there something wrong with studying this or should I change??
I wanted to study Biochem but I was chastised against it

Because I'm starting to wonder why I don't see male nurses..... I met one man and he eyed me from top to bottom. Another individual said I don't know what I want to become.
Another shouted ABOMINATION!!!!! grin
I've already gained admission oooo....
I'm bewildered....
Haven't seen male nurses in Naija before....
Chineke!!! �
People's opinion made you leave med surge for nursing
Peoples opinion will make you leave nursing for biochem...
People's opinion will make you get frustrated if you don't do what makes you fulfilled.
Pray it won't be your potion.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by georgeakins: 8:58am On May 17, 2021
pickatyouu:
Tell us the nigerians who thought so

His story is fake. Only an illiterate will belittle the profession just because it is being studied by a male
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Bluntemperor: 9:02am On May 17, 2021
Bola146:
Not at all, they are more caring than the female and even more hardworking. But they are too flirt seriously lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Gbam!!!
Aunty Bola,is that the only thing?
Na wao!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by HeyHey(f): 9:09am On May 17, 2021
I see nothing wrong with it. It was a mid-husband (man of mid-wife) that assisted me through contractions. They are alot of male nurses general hospitals. Plus only male nurses are allowed on board ships with multinationals like LNG them

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by CALCULUS16: 9:10am On May 17, 2021
Nurse richard. It sound so ridiculous putting nurse before a guys name, nevertheless u can change the mindset of most people about it by being dedicated to it. If we would consider what people say we would never break limit or barrier. Bro go for it if u love and have passion for it otherwise knw that what u dont have passion for might become pason [yoruba word for cane/suffering] in the future. You can learn from encouragers and discouragers here, follow the one with the higher percent otherwise follow your inner compass. Shalom

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by ukaface(f): 9:16am On May 17, 2021
My dear don't mind them
It's lack of awareness

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by ukaface(f): 9:24am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:
I am a student studying nursing in Nigeria. I got a lot of recommendations and commendations when I settled down for this course. I was bred up to be a Medicine and Surgery student. I was advised to choose this because it's professional and not lengthier and can end up with a good job abroad or even here by God's grace. Plus as it stands now, I don't want to waste so much time in school in order to settle down and get a good job and do something for myself.

But when people hear of my course the somehow fumble. I get belittled. I am a guy.... Is there something wrong with studying this or should I change??

Because I'm starting to wonder why I don't see male nurses..... I met one man and he eyed me from top to bottom. Another individual said I don't know what I want to become.
I'm bewildered....
Chineke!!! �
phuck those unaware people.
I schooled with male nurses.
Male nurses even have better job offers.
Nothing do you

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by TempleHouse: 9:26am On May 17, 2021
I studied Accounting and Economics
and lives in UK after resigning from a bank in Nigeria.
I am presently studying for a Nursing Degree and enjoying every moment of the Clinical Placement.
Go for your passion and get yourself motivated.
You have a brilliant future and great prospects.
Keep the flag flying ���

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Flamemignon1(m): 9:30am On May 17, 2021
Two words "Toxic masculinity"
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Bola146(f): 9:32am On May 17, 2021
hashtagged:

I think the flirting part is nice, patients who are very ill would need a bit of fun locked up in a hospital

Oniranu, get a meaningful and better life

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by IMASTEX: 9:32am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:
Hope you'll also consider what people will say or think when you're confronted with bills in the future. Or you haven't seen female studying Engineering courses. Oga better grab it with your heart, study very hard & always aim abroad for final destination/promise land. You may save this comment, it will be your reference if you able.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by basadenet: 9:45am On May 17, 2021
Male nurse is never an abomination and will never be, because it is noble profession, especially in abroad. They are one of highest paid workers in the world. do you want to know? half of hospitals in Nigeria today are owned by nurses, especially male nurses. therefore it is wrong for a sane person, to say that male is an abomination.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by AmadorSays: 9:46am On May 17, 2021
lolz, in Nigeria they have categorized nursing to be a feminine occupation
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Asauto(m): 10:02am On May 17, 2021
Interestingly even here in Nigeria, most construction companies and oil companies with offshore roles go specifically for Male Nurses. Abroad nkor
Be confident and don't allow people to live this life for You

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by SweetDipBenny(m): 10:03am On May 17, 2021
Dont listen to anybody. I'm a graduate nd am still lookin to go back school to do nursin so i can leave dis country to b a nurse ova dere. I wish i did nursin back then

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by JIREN01: 10:14am On May 17, 2021
Thecreatorx:
You bleeped up big time, you just need strangers to console you and give you false hopes LMAO, nursing is the worst a guy can study in Nigeria. No matter how sophisticated and knowledgeable you are, even the least Professional doctor will tremble on you! You can't open a hospital as a nurse, you can't command respect, you'll be paid chicken change when the doctor you worked with in a theater gets millions, you bleeped up. Nigeria isn't USA where nurses get special privileges even if they're still greatly underpaid, guy better retake jamb or do change of department. Anybody who advices you otherwise is just inexperienced, I've witnessed first hand how a very intelligent male nurse has been cheated all his life. Guy use your head, Nigerian no be USA, even school fees you no go fit pay for your children, just watch!!
OP, please ignore this comment totally.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by dustydee: 10:14am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:

I'm bewildered....
Chineke!!! �
Decent career choice. Watch and see how those people will come begging you for assistance with your "abomination" salary.
You can make it your mission to address the misconception about male nurses.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Soar2019: 10:19am On May 17, 2021
Being a male nurse in Nigeria from Nigeria perspective could be frustrating in the future to come
1. Nigeria has a way to weigh u on their scale of preference and you would end up going home every day depressed cos Doctor XYZ that just graduated as a medical doctor( younger to you in age ) ‘calling u on an errand’ here and there ... you won’t like it .. cos is Nigeria...
2. If working abroad as a ‘male nurse’ is your goal then ‘it’s a welcome idea if I may advice... cos you will be on a different ‘system and you will be highly placed and respected for your service.
3. If you have stated your course of study continue but while still a student try apply to any other country and from being a student to working that may help in your career plan in the future.
Best wishes

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by int0x80(m): 10:26am On May 17, 2021
To be honest, nursing job is not manly at all. Personally, I don't like a man to be my nurse!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Ndumyke(m): 10:40am On May 17, 2021
I'm a male nurse and during my school days we were more than 25 male nurses in that set. Right now we are doing well. Some are abroad performing excellently good

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by frozen70(f): 10:43am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:

I'm bewildered....
Chineke!!! �

It's because we are use to seeing females as nurses and more of males as doctors

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by meobizy(f): 10:43am On May 17, 2021
Success is always the best revenge. Finish with the course first and get a job. Eventually you will become an example to the children of those individuals who originally derided your career choice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Bellgal: 10:53am On May 17, 2021
Op please just concentrate with your studies i swear you won't regret it.

My brother is a nurse, I'm a nurse too.
Male nurses make it more than the female.
When you you are through with your general nursing, please try and go for a specialty course like anaesthetic nursing.
Thank me later......

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by SavageResponse(m): 11:07am On May 17, 2021
Abbeyme:
Nothing abominable about that.
Just that nursing is a female dominated job role.

In Nigeria that is
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Maxcollins042(m): 11:26am On May 17, 2021
JBRichard:

I'm bewildered....
Chineke!!! �

Thank your stars you didn't go for biochem. In fact, you owe those who chastised you against going for it a whole lot. You would have been regretting by now why you went for it. Stupid course.

Don't mind those that see you studying nursing as an abomination. They are just ignorant and mesolithic. Many guys are even wishing to be in your position now. Once you're done just japa this country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by IGpro1(m): 11:32am On May 17, 2021
Thecreatorx:
You bleeped up big time, you just need strangers to console you and give you false hopes LMAO, nursing is the worst a guy can study in Nigeria. No matter how sophisticated and knowledgeable you are, even the least Professional doctor will tremble on you! You can't open a hospital as a nurse, you can't command respect, you'll be paid chicken change when the doctor you worked with in a theater gets millions, you bleeped up. Nigeria isn't USA where nurses get special privileges even if they're still greatly underpaid, guy better retake jamb or do change of department. Anybody who advices you otherwise is just inexperienced, I've witnessed first hand how a very intelligent male nurse has been cheated all his life. Guy use your head, Nigerian no be USA, even school fees you no go fit pay for your children, just watch!!
just shut up niggah, I'm one myself. And doctors respect themselves around me. Do you know what a BNS.c degree mean?
Better remove your mind from those quack nurses who do 2 years training with their primary six cert or those with diploma, who are a lot better.
If A diploma nurse in Nigeria earns between 70-100k in Nigeria
His much do you think a degree holder will earn as a nurse.
Better change your orientation.
Go to any hospital, in every 10 nurses only 1 or 2 are degree holders the rest are basic RN,

Most hospitals can't afford to pay a Nurse who went through the university to get his/her BNS.c with a starting salary of 120k in federal settings except in some hospitals were it's a little lower.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by IGpro1(m): 11:49am On May 17, 2021
MOVIC6:
Rubbish talk, me that is planning on going bavk to school and study nursing.
don't let anything stop you from becoming one.
I'm currently in my pen ultimate year, had to go for it...

When we started we were outnumbered 100 female to 20 males but now others joined through direct entry and we're like 100 females to 40 males now, lower levels are even better with a huge number of males,
And some matrons do tell us they are happy we males are feeling the gap that made other health professionals to look down on them because they are female.
Even as a nurse I've had to put many doctors in their place for daring to ask me to fetch some items,

And in any hospital, male nurses are like doctors. Again there was this notion some of my colleagues (students) had that nurses don't fix an IV (drip) line, but I got to do it seeing my male chief nurse doing it. I asked him same question, he told me some female nurses out of laziness don't like fixing the cannula (drip line) because it's difficult sometimes to locate the vain to place it.
Few years to come NIGERIAN youths will change the stereotype of nursing being a female profession.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by ziondaughter247: 11:54am On May 17, 2021
Pls study what makes you happy, that's the important thing.

The problem I have with nursing as a course is that YOU MUST be a truly humble and down to earth person. Even abroad. Imagine a doctor that just graduated when will almost always be placed above you. You cannot do anything without the orders of a doctor, whom truly you might even be more experienced than in the hospital setting.
In the long run, I feel it messes up with one's psych and emotional status. Even as a lady, I shudder at taking orders for the rest of my life talk more of if I were a man. There's also the risk of being prone to be accused of sexual assault, especially abroad. I honestly feel the profession is for very calm and easygoing men, probably phlegmatic men.

But also after studying nursing, you can study to become a nurse anaesthelogist. Many Male nurses do this. I honestly think this is more respectable. Don't get me wrong though, every legit profession is respectable no matter how lowly placed.
But stereotypes are changing too. Many men are entering the profession, so in some years time the situation may be better.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Think Being A Male Nursing Student Is An Abomination???!!! by Thecreatorx: 11:55am On May 17, 2021
IGpro1:

Most hospitals can't afford to pay a Nurse who went through the university to get his/her BNS.c with a starting salary of 120k in federal settings except in some hospitals were it's a little lower.
This fool is using 120k as a standard of payment and is proud of it bwahaahaha uncle nurse, continue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anabelle Oromoni, Sylvester's Sister Reacts To Autopsy Results / LAUTECH Indefinite Closure: I Don’t Have Money – Aregbesola / Primary And Secondary Schools Teachers In Abia To Resume On August 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.