Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,637 members, 7,813,107 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:09 AM

El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price (35189 Views)

Mele Kyari: ₦‎170/Litre Fuel Price Is Impossible / El-rufai Attacks Govs Over Strike, NGF Mulls N380/litre Fuel Price / FG Plans N97 Per Litre Fuel For Common Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by adecz: 9:07am On May 20, 2021
I feel it's better we take it
to N1000 make we rest until this
evil APC is thrown into the dustbinof ignonimous history ....

Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by otokx(m): 9:10am On May 20, 2021
The drama continues.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Nobody: 9:12am On May 20, 2021
armadeo:

Very few people can afford 1000 per litre in the long run.

It's not just fuel that will go up everything will follow suit.

Transport
Food
Rent

Everything will go up.

On the other hand

1.Government saves billions, if not trillions of naira

2.Subsidy scams will end immediately

3.Smuggling of cheap Nigerian fuel will end permanently

4.More funds (theoretically...but practically) for our refinereis, public and private

5.More jobs as more refienreis are built to take advantage of the privatised refienreis.

6.More revenue for government potentially (taxes, etc)

7) Prices eventually come down via competition.

(P.S Have supported subsidy removal since 2012)
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by ruggedtimi(m): 9:15am On May 20, 2021
harjay1986:

Sir in as much I support your comment that every workers need to be paid thats factual right.... but we,need too look into some, of this government owned establishment .... many of this civil servant are useless... I dont know of you ever walk to any like state owned hospitals, immigration... and many they will want u to bribe them to do their work
if they are well paid they won't seek for bribe
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Tianamen1: 9:16am On May 20, 2021
Lazycapitalist3:

All developed countries have higer Gdp's than Nigeria, and have much higher tax to gdp ratios than Nigeria...which is why they can afford well funded welfare systems.

Take France. France has a higher GDP and a tax to gdp ratio around 40%. Nigeria on the other hand has a tax to gdp ratio of 6%.

My brother, I asked a question and you are giving other explanations.

Nigerians can be divide into two classes, the bourgeois (people with properties) and the underclass.

The bourgeois spend a larger proportion of their income on goods and services which are mostly imported. the Underclass however, spend most of their income on food.

An increase in the price of fuel will push the underclass further into extreme poverty, but would have very little effect on the bourgeois.

If VAT, property taxes and other wealth taxes are implemented in a progressive manner, the bourgeois will be more impacted than the underclass. basically the bourgeois are the ones benefitting from lower Taxes which has led to our low tax to GDP ratio.

If the State Governors are sincere and progressive minded, they will not only increase prices of fuel but also increase property taxes and ensure that a person who has multiple houses both at home and abroad pays a progressively higher rate with each additional house.

This is how countries develop and are able to provide welfare services to their underclass.

2 Likes

Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Nobody: 9:21am On May 20, 2021
Tianamen1:

My brother, I asked a question and you are giving other explanations.

Nigerians can be divide into two classes, the bourgeois (people with properties) and the underclass.

The bourgeois spend a larger proportion of their income on goods and services which are mostly imported. the Underclass however, spend most of their income on food.

An increase in the price of fuel will push the underclass further into extreme poverty, but would have very little effect on the bourgeois.

If VAT, property taxes and other wealth taxes are implemented in a progressive manner, the bourgeois will be more impacted than the underclass. basically the bourgeois are the ones benefitting from lower Taxes which has led to our low tax to GDP ratio.

If the State Governors are sincere and progressive minded, they will not only increase prices of fuel but also increase property taxes and ensure that a person who has multiple houses both at home and abroad pays a progressively higher rate with each additional house.

This is how countries develop and are able to provide welfare services to their underclass.

Which essentially agrees with the point I have made...we need to increase taxes to fund welfare systems effectively

Right now we can't because we don't earn enough from taxes , and our revenue from oil is not high enough to pay for such a welfare system...plus (I did not mention this) we don't have a diversifed enough economy.

Plus we can't just tax the rich alone....especially as we don't have enough of the rich to pay taxes for the rest of us poor people. I favour a flat tax of 10% for everyone..plus a tax on fuel (after the subsidy has gone). Plus, I expect that fuel subsidy removal will attract investment, more refienreis, more jobs, and crucially more revenue.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by malvisguy212: 9:21am On May 20, 2021
post=101872149:

El-Rufai, name names.
Our own is that every worker should be paid for their sweat at the due time..... so says the Holy Book.

Furthermore.....
The good workers among them should be recalled, but for the evil and devilish nurses that removed the oxygen from the face of a 3 day old baby in the incubator, they will not only be sacked permanently with their Nursing License revoked, but they will spend a long time in prison.

Those ones are not nurses, they are murderers.
If you are in support of such act, you are nothing but a heartless murderers also.

We Rise!

Keep shut gently..... okay?!
Kids are always ignored here! wink

Hmmmm, this is deep!
You have made some good salient points here sir..
You have a very good point in what you raised here also.
You are a wise man.

Btw,
we no be Sir o,
We are simply WE.

God bless you Chief Harjay.
God bless Nigeria.
if you believe that story that nurse remove oxygen from a little child, then you're as intelingent as a toad. They can divert you brainless zombie attention from the peaceful protest but not us. Idiot

Hellrufai was disgrace, I was there, even the security guard at NEPA did not even look his face.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by emmykingzy: 9:26am On May 20, 2021
Lazycapitalist3:

Well, the simple reason why is
1.NNPC is running at a loss to keep fuel subsidsed

2.Nigeria is not earning enough from oil to keep fuel subsidsed

3.We are losing millions from oil being smuggled to neighbouring countries where fuel costs above N300 (and to be frank, among all west African countries, Nigeria is the only one that sells fuel at LESS THAN 200 naira.

4.We are having to take more and more loans to fund budget deficits arising from the amounts we spend subsidsing fuel.

5.Our tax to gdp ratio is too low to fund welfare projects, including subsides.

Yes, GEJ was able to subsidse fuel...because crude prices were above $90 from 2010-14. Since 2014, crude has been on a freefall. And we have had to keep taking loans as a result...(and GEJ subsidsing fuel meant he had to drain our reserves to do so...and even then many of the same problems were there)

Then why should ordinary Nigerians be heavily tasked to pay for the fuel?
With all the warnings over the years, why can't these leaders have a plan and setup small,medium and large scale Modular refineries to end this fraud of fuel importation??
Why can't the go into partnerships and allow as the private sector transparently build these refineries?
Don't they know the ought to diversify the economy from crude dependency to other areas??
Who doesn't know that other developed countries that buy crude oil from is have already concluded plans to go complete electric by 2025??
What is our plan B ?
As it has gotten this bad of borrowing money for everything, we can't the drastically cut cost of governance and allowance to reflect the current economic situation??
Why are we giving excuses for this leaders?
There are several ways of generating good funds internally and using it to grow the economy but they are stealing, covering and sabotaging the future of this country.

2 Likes

Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Tianamen1: 9:28am On May 20, 2021
Lazycapitalist3:

On the other hand

1.Government saves billions, if not trillions of naira

2.Subsidy scams will end immediately

3.Smuggling of cheap Nigerian fuel will end permanently

4.More funds (theoretically...but practically) for our refinereis, public and private

5.More jobs as more refienreis are built to take advantage of the privatised refienreis.

6.More revenue for government potentially (taxes, etc)

7) Prices eventually come down via competition.

(P.S Have supported subsidy removal since 2012)

All you are saying will work in other countries but not in Nigeria. We have deep cultural problems. If you have studied national cultures such as the works of Hofstede and Hofstede, you would know that Nigerians are amongst the most flamboyant people on earth. The Dollars saved from not importing fuel would be spent on more houses and cars for our government officials and the naira will continue to fall in value.

Even if refineries where built, the price of fuel will continue to rise. the cost of food and energy are the most reactive to changes in prices and do not behave like other goods and services that are affected by demand and supply. this is why most countries have two measures for inflation: core consumer price index (which excludes food and energy) and general CPI.

What this implies is that if the value of the naira does not stop falling, whether we produce all our fuel needs, the price of food and energy would continue to rise.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Brushstrokes20: 9:31am On May 20, 2021
Until most Nigerian politicians are lynched or shot at sight, THE SHITHOLE REMAINS DOOMED!

The cursed contraption is long overdue for a RED REVOLT!
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Nobody: 9:39am On May 20, 2021
Elrufai is wicked. You sacked 45,000 and you are asking for solidarity from your fellow governors. Nigerian workers are one of the least paid in the world. How much are they paying these workers compared to the allowances received by polithievcians?
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by ivolt: 9:41am On May 20, 2021
harjay1986:

if you dont have any meaningful thought to express dont just batch into discussion please... have you ever been to a,public hospital with your relative dieing and you are helpless due to negligence of the so call Nurses that are been pay with ur tax
You are just a layman.
You have no idea what negligence means in medical setting.
Nurses behave exactly an average Nigerian does with government job.
You can't single them out.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Tianamen1: 9:43am On May 20, 2021
Lazycapitalist3:

Which essentially agrees with the point I have made...we need to increase taxes to fund welfare systems effectively

Right now we can't because we don't earn enough from taxes , and our revenue from oil is not high enough to pay for such a welfare system...plus (I did not mention this) we don't have a diversifed enough economy.

Plus we can't just tax the rich alone....especially as we don't have enough of the rich to pay taxes for the rest of us poor people. I favour a flat tax of 10% for everyone..plus a tax on fuel (after the subsidy has gone). Plus, I expect that fuel subsidy removal will attract investment, more refienreis, more jobs, and crucially more revenue.

We do have enough rich people and middle income people. SLS told the senate that 5 percent of Nigerians accounted for 90 percent of bank deposits if my memory serves me right.

My point is that the government should not only remove subsidies but MUST also increase taxes massively on consumption by our rich. this is to discourage spending of foreign goods which should hopefully stabilize our naira thus stopping further increases in fuel prices.

We are not on the same page at all.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Seniorwriter(m): 9:44am On May 20, 2021
coolfredo:
. Like desmond elliot?

Stop showing your ignorance on a public space...I Stated VISIONARY ...is Elliot visionary in anyway...SMH @you.

The advocacy is for Young VISIONARY leaders....not Dumb/Clueless leaders.

Deep Quote
Ability to read and comprehend is a Superpower

@SeniorWriter
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by kayusely70(m): 9:49am On May 20, 2021
The fuel subsidy is fraudulent and should be scrapped. But then, the price of petrol should be moderately reasonable.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by rejoice4eva(m): 9:49am On May 20, 2021
Lazycapitalist3:

Well, the sad thing is, no matter who is in power, subsidy is something that should have gone since the 1990's.

Instead, we kept it for too too long.

WE are losing trillions, getting into debt, and we have bad refienreis all due to subsidy. Yes, prices will go up, but the waste and stealing will stop once it is removed.

Your hero GEJ wanted to remove it in 2012, and people like you were protesting then.
Hypocrite. GEJ, my hero , and I protested against my hero!: But you did not mention that you and your messia, BUHARI, said 'subsidy is a fraud'
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by rejoice4eva(m): 9:53am On May 20, 2021
tamdun:

Pls stop this nonsense, stop painting Gej as an angel, both Buhari and Gej are disaster
No one is projecting anybody. The real disaster is the fraud you deceitfully and wickedly imposed on Nigeria.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Nobody: 9:54am On May 20, 2021
rejoice4eva:
Hypocrite. GEJ, my hero , and I protested against my hero!: But you did not mention that you and your messia, BUHARI, said 'subsidy is a fraud'

Bubu is not my messiah and when he said subsidy was a fraud he obviously showed he had no understanding of what a subsidy is in the first place.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by rejoice4eva(m): 9:54am On May 20, 2021
maasoap:

GEJ has gone, you too should move on. Life didn't start with Jonathan and it wouldn't end with him. He came, did his part and left when due. Not that he even made things better.
Truth is hurtful.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by nedu666: 9:55am On May 20, 2021
AKWATGOLD1:
I dont blame them since they enjoy free PMS and AGO since they have been in the corridor of power. Why wouldn't they say PMS should be sell @ =N=380/per litre which implies $1/per litre. Pls note $1 is the CBN official rate ooo on their website.

Wrong
Official rate is now 411 naira to a dollar
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by rejoice4eva(m): 10:00am On May 20, 2021
Lazycapitalist3:

Bubu is not my messiah and when he said subsidy was a fraud he obviously showed he had no understanding of what a subsidy is in the first place.
Why did his fellow coup planners against Nigeria not enlighten him. Were they also ignorant and foolish?
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Nobody: 10:05am On May 20, 2021
emmykingzy:

Then why should ordinary Nigerians be heavily tasked to pay for the fuel?
With all the warnings over the years, why can't these leaders have a plan and setup small,medium and large scale Modular refineries to end this fraud of fuel importation??
Why can't the go into partnerships and allow as the private sector transparently build these refineries?
Don't they know the ought to diversify the economy from crude dependency to other areas??
Who doesn't know that other developed countries that buy crude oil from is have already concluded plans to go complete electric by 2025??
What is our plan B ?
As it has gotten this bad of borrowing money for everything, we can't the drastically cut cost of governance and allowance to reflect the current economic situation??
Why are we giving excuses for this leaders?
There are several ways of generating good funds internally and using it to grow the economy but they are stealing, covering and sabotaging the future of this country.

We can set up refinereis, the problem is selling fuel below 200 naira does not raise enough to keep them running properly

We cannot afford fuel subsides anymore. That has been clear since 1993. If we keep on paying them we will keep on losing money and
taking more and more loans

And before you start, Lord knows i wish fuel was below 20 naira per liter. Lord knows i know a lot of people are poor. LORD KNOWS I AM ANGRY With all governments past and present. But we cannot keep on spending money we don't have for a subsidy that benefits the corrupt
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Nobody: 10:07am On May 20, 2021
rejoice4eva:

Why did his fellow coup planners against Nigeria not enlighten him. Were they also ignorant and foolish?

Most Nigerians don't understand how subsidy works and why it should be removed, especially the bit about it damaging our economy

Same for the politicians until they get into power and get their eyes opened by force.

And even when you get politicans to face reality, the short term price increases in food scares them from doing a full subsidy removal
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by harjay1986: 10:17am On May 20, 2021
ruggedtimi:
if they are well paid they won't seek for bribe

okay would you say 150k to 200k is not a good salary in Nigeria today.... the only people I can consider to be underpay should be Gateman and some of these private security guards who go home with just 20k or 30k i dey pity them... some people are just criminal minded and want to leave off yu
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by akaahs(m): 10:21am On May 20, 2021
post=101872149:

El-Rufai, name names.
Our own is that every worker should be paid for their sweat at the due time..... so says the Holy Book.

Furthermore.....
The good workers among them should be recalled, but for the evil and devilish nurses that removed the oxygen from the face of a 3 day old baby in the incubator, they will not only be sacked permanently with their Nursing License revoked, but they will spend a long time in prison.

Those ones are not nurses, they are murderers.
If you are in support of such act, you are nothing but a heartless murderers also.

We Rise!

Keep shut gently..... okay?!
Kids are always ignored here! wink

Hmmmm, this is deep!
You have made some good salient points here sir..
You have a very good point in what you raised here also.
You are a wise man.

Btw,
we no be Sir o,
We are simply WE.

God bless you Chief Harjay.
God bless Nigeria.
Where u saw that news of a nurse removing oxygen, go back and check for the update interview with the nursing mother rebuffing Ur false claims.
Bunch of shameless creatures.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by DrSamOnowu87(m): 10:32am On May 20, 2021
gambia:
[s][/s]
@MANNABBGRILLS: world number 1 Fool, u're just reading? If this was done by a south eastern governor or in d south east u wil be talking trash but bcus it's in d north,u re now just reading.
Evil wil engulf u, envelop u all d days of ur miserable life. Karma wil hit u.
Look at d suggestion/proposal of a governor & party u drum support for. A litre of fuel for #408 in an oil producing corn3tri.
Other governors to back him in his show of shame & outright wickedness against workers.
Shame on d North with thier awkward,cow brain mentality,stupidity. They are d real problem of dis zoo contraption republic. A British business centre(bbc).
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Gyong(m): 10:43am On May 20, 2021
Casham:
I believe El'rufai's points are valid. But I also believe 45 000 workers who suddenly find themselves unemployed will destabilise the state. El'rufai is a good student of history. He needs a lot of money to build a legacy for himself in Kaduna. History will only see his works and remember him; nobody will remember the sacrifices we all made for it. Just as nobody remembers the slaves who built the Giza pyramids. El'rufai wants to turn Kaduna into an exclusive city for the rich. I was wondering what stuff dictators are made of; El'rufai gave the answer.

If your father worked for 34 years and was retired without benefit how will you feel? Posterity will remembered him as the villain of all time second to handed Ali in Kaduna state.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Henadih(m): 10:44am On May 20, 2021
It is because you are reasoning like a fool that is why they are abandoning you. and you are still reasoning like that. NLC will grind you and the state to a hurt. nonsense
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by LXG2(m): 11:36am On May 20, 2021
Having multiple streams of income is the only way one can survive in this country.
Not just anyhow stream of income but the ones that can fetch you serious money
by December because all hell like serious hell is about to be let loose in this country.

You can hit my signature if you are interested to learn how to achieve this.
Re: El-Rufai Attacks Governors Over Strike, NGF Mulls ₦380/Litre Fuel Price by Petacephas: 11:37am On May 20, 2021
These thieves in government are looking for what they can't carry. Increasing the pump price of fuel is a suicide mission. The people are already in pains and the best u can do is increase the pains abi. Shortcut is all they think. Why can't u checkmate smuggling and fix the refineries. Useless government

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Begged Mrs Shettima For ₦‎2 Million - Remi Tinubu / Governor El-Rufai Visits Wike To Commission Roads (Photos) / Nigerian Boko Haram Member, 9 Others Sentenced To Death In Chad (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.