Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,446 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified - Jobs/Vacancies (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified (46698 Views)

Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? / Who Else Received This Email From United Nations SDN? / How To Get A Job In Australia From Nigeria As A Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 11:00pm On May 23, 2021
Finally for today, I want to thank the mod for helping to implement sanity on this thread. A very well done to you smiley smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Richdee1(m): 11:12pm On May 23, 2021
IderadeAratumi:

I did not have an NGO/INGO/ international work experience. The UN is looking for irresistible value

Which value did you bring to the table
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by pimper24: 11:16pm On May 23, 2021
IderadeAratumi:

What agency? I know what that means in my agency.
What your agency? I am still applying; that Monika ain't enough shield ma'am
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by ofiko123(m): 12:16am On May 24, 2021
May God help us all....
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Structuralman: 1:41am On May 24, 2021
@IderadeAratumi:

All the vacancies I am seeing for my position are for fixed terms ie 6-12 months.
I don't want to work in such place and then get kicked out. Are there no vacancies for permanent staff rather than all these contract staff positions that I am seeing?

PS : My discipline is Engineering. Thank you for your Goodwill. If all Nigerians were kind-hearted like yourself the country would be a much better place. Don't mind the naysayers on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Akalia(m): 2:01am On May 24, 2021
IderadeAratumi:

I agree. But in the UN, man-know man does not guarantee you the job. I'll share my personal experience about this tomorrow as I was initially sent a rejection mail to allow for "well connected candidates", until... TBC tomorrow.
Do you think a creative writer with deep passion to toe a new career path adrfit his course of study has a place to fit in at the UN? I hold a diploma in microbiology.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 3:40am On May 24, 2021
Cuttycool:
Pls i want to ask if UN is giving grants to nigerians. I got a phone call from an unknown number telling me to submit my personal details like account number, email, phone number, etc so as to get ready to receive grant from the UNO. The problem is that i cant really remember applying for their grant, though i did used to apply for some things, but i cant really remember.

My Dear borrow leg & run very far, that's a big scam.....!

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 3:46am On May 24, 2021
IderadeAratumi:

I had experience, but not NGO or international. By the way, if IP means what I think it means, then you be my senior sir shocked

That is the next level I am aiming for as my Ogas here have refused me to go on temporary duty reassignments; making me miss out on several opportunities after being requested for. Already looking @ opportunities in other agencies, 'cos as long as I remain here, dem no gree make I go. It is well

Lol..... I joined the UN as an IP & people get surprised that I got an IP posting just like that, stress free, just my second trial & boom straight IP posting..... it's was & still is a miracle for me...God works in ways we cannot fathom..... smiley

Yeah, aim for it, push for stretch assignments, & lookout for other organizations.... keep pushing, it will surely come sooner than you expected.

7 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by lyday60(m): 4:35am On May 24, 2021
Interesting...

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 7:09am On May 24, 2021
IderadeAratumi:
Finally for today, I want to thank the mod for helping to implement sanity on this thread. A very well done to you smiley smiley smiley

Good morning. Does any UN agency consider HND graduates, say does yours do?
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 7:57am On May 24, 2021
OluwabuqqyYOLO:

Good morning. Does any UN agency consider HND graduates, say does yours do?

Honestly, I have no idea. However i know a sister agency that recruits store keepers and tally assistants. I do not expect a B.Sc degree as the minimum requirement for these roles and other similar roles.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by chymes0359(m): 8:04am On May 24, 2021
IderadeAratumi:

Logistics and procurement is hot cake in my agency. I will personally see to this one. Just let me finish responding to questions and we'll take it up on this thread because I do not respond to DMs.

Best of luck!

Okay..

I will be waiting.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 8:06am On May 24, 2021
jabberjawz:

Lol..... I joined the UN as an IP & people get surprised that I got an IP posting just like that, stress free, just my second trial & boom straight IP posting..... it's was & still is a miracle for me...God works in ways we cannot fathom..... smiley

Yeah, aim for it, push for stretch assignments, & lookout for other organizations.... keep pushing, it will surely come sooner than you expected.

Yes, the God factor came through for me too.

Oga, I push for stretch assignments for temporary postings out of the country. When those ones now get in touch with my supervisors to allow me come over (which i am expected to return back after some months), na so the thing go enter voicemail. That's why I recently started looking @ other relevant agencies for possible IP positions. As long as I remain here, they have decided not to release me which is quite painful.

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 8:09am On May 24, 2021
Akalia:
Do you think a creative writer with deep passion to toe a new career path adrfit his course of study has a place to fit in at the UN? I hold a diploma in microbiology.

Yes you do. Check inspira.un.org.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by adaperry25: 8:09am On May 24, 2021
Someone called me yesterday saying there's an opportunity in UNICEF and I can get the job but I'll have to pay 300k after 1st salary...The desperation from his end made me to lose interest..
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 8:17am On May 24, 2021
Structuralman:
@IderadeAratumi:

All the vacancies I am seeing for my position are for fixed terms ie 6-12 months.
I don't want to work in such place and then get kicked out. Are there no vacancies for permanent staff rather than all these contract staff positions that I am seeing?

PS : My discipline is Engineering. Thank you for your Goodwill. If all Nigerians were kind-hearted like yourself the country would be a much better place. Don't mind the naysayers on this thread.

Fixed term appointment in the UN is subject to renewal depending on the agency, your output and the availability of funds. In Nigerian agencies I am aware of, most fixed term contracts are usually renewed by default except for some very exceptional cases.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Akalia(m): 8:18am On May 24, 2021
IderadeAratumi:

Yes you do. Check inspira.un.org.

Best of luck!
Thanks, please share job openings in your agency on here.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 8:20am On May 24, 2021
Tolulopeogudiran:

Good evening ma'am.. I'll like to make enquiry on working with UN or any other notable NGO/Civil Society.. Currently a student thou and would love to get intern in any of the aforementioned places my area is f specializations are English Language (for corporate communications) Public Relation, Public/International affairs would really need mentorship on this stuffs because I'm currently an under graduate.

I shared the internship link on i think page 2 of this thread
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 8:22am On May 24, 2021
adaperry25:
Someone called me yesterday saying there's an opportunity in UNICEF and I can get the job but I'll have to pay 300k after 1st salary...The desperation from his end made me to lose interest..

I do not think this is genuine
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 8:23am On May 24, 2021
Got to attend to mails now. See you all during my break

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by chymes0359(m): 8:26am On May 24, 2021
IderadeAratumi:

I am very anonymous as most family and friends do not know I work with the UN, except my husband and mum. I live a modest life that does not reflect the kind of salary I earn. As such, my linked in profile, facebook, etc was last updated before I got this job. It will remain so for now.

I was about to ask you why you are not on linkedin and facebook?

Same with some of my friends working with ICRC and British Council

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Akalia(m): 8:56am On May 24, 2021
IderadeAratumi:
Keep up the good work. Please share job openings in your agency on here so that folks can apply. I am interested in having you help me revamp my CV to UN acceptable standard. God bless. What is the meaning of "php" during application process?
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 9:07am On May 24, 2021
IderadeAratumi:

Yes, the God factor came through for me too.

Oga, I push for stretch assignments for temporary postings out of the country. When those ones now get in touch with my supervisors to allow me come over (which i am expected to return back after some months), na so the thing go enter voicemail. That's why I recently started looking @ other relevant agencies for possible IP positions. As long as I remain here, they have decided not to release me which is quite painful.

Lol.......Na to dey fire prayers make your Oga move go somewhere else....make something just carry am comot make a more reasonable person take over.....No worry, God go do am... smiley

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 9:11am On May 24, 2021
adaperry25:

That's a big scam, No UN staff will request you to make payments of any sort for recruitment...

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 9:21am On May 24, 2021
Structuralman:
@IderadeAratumi:

Boss, most of the roles are placed on 6 months, which in most cases serves as part of a probation period to monitor & see if you can deliver on the job, they always get extended (subject to availability of funds) so you need to do some more research, be willing to take risk, connect with folks already working in the organization to give you information about the work culture of the organization, funding availability, career progression, risk taking....etc......

I know a couple of folks who started with the 6months contract, but they are still in the UN system till date.....get in first & start solving the mathematics of your next move from day 1.

I took the risk, started with 6 months, now am counting years in the system, I asked a lot of questions in my case, did a lot of Google search, connected with professionals in my feild....never take these for granted.

Hope this helps.. smiley

8 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Structuralman: 9:37am On May 24, 2021
jabberjawz:

Boss, most of the roles are placed on 6 months, which in most cases serves as part of a probation period to monitor & see if you can deliver on the job, they always get extended (subject to availability of funds) so you need to do some more research, be willing to take risk, connect with folks already working in the organization to give you information about the work culture of the organization, funding availability, career progression, risk taking....etc......

I know a couple of folks who started with the 6months contract, but they are still in the UN system till date.....get in first & start solving the mathematics of your next move from day 1.

I took the risk, started with 6 months, now am counting years in the system, I asked a lot of questions in my case, did a lot of Google search, connected with professionals in my feild....never take these for granted.

Hope this helps.. smiley

Thanks a lot for this comprehension explanation. It's very helpful. God bless you sir.

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by chris2013: 10:15am On May 24, 2021
I am interested.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Adejal: 11:05am On May 24, 2021
Payment of =N=300,000 after the first salary is not too risky as far as Naija job market is concerned.......I'll advice you to give it a try
adaperry25:

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Ehimat30: 11:36am On May 24, 2021
I'm interested ma.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Rhymeyjohn: 1:14pm On May 24, 2021
IderadeAratumi:
Break time cheesy
I virtually read through this thread yesterday and headed for a UN link posted. I found a relevant opportunity closing today. I'm about wrapping up.

To whom do I address my cover letter?
Can you please take a quick look at my CV?
Thanks
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Bodyodour: 1:27pm On May 24, 2021
jabberjawz:

Boss, Msf is not a match in anyway to UN.... compensation wise....both for national & international posting.....
what is MSF?
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Structuralman: 2:02pm On May 24, 2021
Bodyodour:
what is MSF?

In brief: Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF, Doctors Without Borders) is an independent international humanitarian organisation working to provide medical and other assistance to people in need worldwide.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers / Job Offer: Stanbic IBTC Bank 2021 Graduate Trainee Program / Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.