Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,029 members, 7,818,036 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do (40471 Views)

My Experience Traveling By Air For The First Time (update) / I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time / I'm Traveling To London, Follow Me On My Journey..... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Babzcom: 6:57am On May 27, 2021
Offpoint1:

What kind of ID is acceptable for local flights? Must one have Nigeria passport?

No sir. Any ID is acceptable, so far it has your name on it.

1 Like

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:58am On May 27, 2021
Bounce like others and follow their step. As long as you have eyes, ears and smell, then you'll be fine. I went on my first flight without help and was fine
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Belawy(m): 6:59am On May 27, 2021
Here are procedure :
1)Get to airport 1hr 30min to before flight time(check-in counter) close 30m b4 flight time.

2) On entering the terminal building,ask for the airline counter e.g airpeace counter.

3)On getting to the counter,join a queue if there is one,if there isn't,walk straight to the counter and present you mean of identification to the attendant(sitting at the counter)

3) On presenting your id card,the attendant will print a paper called boarding pass. That is receipt that you are on the aircraft for that time.

4)If you have luggage,tell him/her.He will even ask you for it.If the luggage is more than what your back can carry,you would have to surrender it to him so that they will carry it for you to save you the stress.But a tag would be given to you to show they collect your luggage.If the luggage is 1 that is tag,2 for 2. Etc.
You can't get those bags back untill you get to your destination.And your kg allowance is just 20kg, anything excess you would be charged per kg

4)Ask the attendant for BOARDING GATE,proceed straight to boarding gate and make sure you sit among people of similar airline and same destination.

5)Boarding would be announced when it is flight time if there is no delay.

6)Proceed for boarding with your id card and your boarding pass and enter the aircraft.

7) When you enter,ask the person boarding you to show you your seat.Though it's written on your boarding pass but you might not know the seat arrangement.

cool follow other announcement in the aircraft by cabin crew.

9)On lading go for your luggage,other passengers would guide you as you ain't alone.

Regards

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Offpoint1: 7:00am On May 27, 2021
Babzcom:

No sir. Any ID is acceptable, so far it has your name on it.
God bless
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by ikorodureporta: 7:03am On May 27, 2021
Lagos airport for evening na real chaos cheesy
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Ameboperoo(m): 7:10am On May 27, 2021
CilicMarin:

You will be surprised that it would be easier for you to navigate your way through the airport than Good is Good motors, Ezenwata Motor Parks etc..

However these are the steps;

Make sure you arrive the airport 1 hour before departure time(Since you are flying for the first time) . Once you get to the airport departure hall, check for the booked airline stand, because you are going to be seeing: Max air, Air Peace , Dana Air cubicles inside the hall...you can also ask anybody on reflective jacket(officials) to direct you to your airline stand...

When you get there, join others on the queue for checking in..make sure, you have your ID card and booking number handy..Once checked in, you would be handed a boarding pass to enable you board your plane....and if you carry a heavy luggage, they would be also checked in...don't worry about where they are taking your bags to..be rest assured, you would see them in Kano upon arrival...

When you are done with the above, ask them to direct you to the boarding hall, where you are going to wait for announcement of your airline...listen attentively whenever any announcement is made and check your ticket if your airline is being called; You would be hearing something like: Max Air 777 Lagos to Kano boarding at exit G etc..

Now, I assume you have entered inside the plane...show any of the cabin crew members your boarding pass, he/she will direct you to your booked seat...Then wait for further announcements by the air crew including the pilot...Don't look down if you have phobia for height grin grin..and don't panic, when the plane encounters air turbulence or they would find out say you be JJC... grin Just look for newspaper and be acting as if you ve been flying all your life.. grin

On arrival in Kano, just follow fellow passengers to where you can retrieve your baggage...then hail a taxi to your hotel or destination...

Safe journey!

Can I use my phone on plane mode to play games?
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by paxirag(m): 7:11am On May 27, 2021
Lol

We have to normalize talking to people with an unfriendly facial expression wen necessary.

Thank God for nairalanders that always ready to help.

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Lolachef(f): 7:19am On May 27, 2021
grin
onomeabuja:

As far u no follow chop d country money, God almighty go guide u all truh ur journey & in all ur activities amen bt if u follow chop d money wen meant for d poor people of this country, u better trek to kano ooooo because na wetin go save u be that
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by TimmyTen(m): 7:21am On May 27, 2021
Any form of ID is acceptable for local flights . Work ID, International passport, voters card, driver’s license
Offpoint1:

What kind of ID is acceptable for local flights? Must one have Nigeria passport?
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by CilicMarin: 7:28am On May 27, 2021
Ameboperoo:

Can I use my phone on plane mode to play games?

Yes, but the cabin crew would announce, when it is safe to do so...but all gadgets are expected to be switched off during take off and landing....
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by 900warriorz: 7:28am On May 27, 2021
CaptainZubi:
I have my ticket already. Flight slated for next week. I decided to check out the domestic airport today and see things ahead of time but everything was so confusing . I tried asking one man i met at the departure entrance and he just dey squeez face like person wey never chop. I went back home empty handed. Everything is just confusing. Entering ezenwata , God is good or chisco no get wahala reach this .

I'll be travelling to Kano, when I enter the departure door, where should I go, what should I do. Abeg help my life, I'm just confused. Just describe the whole process for me. Also when I get to my destination what next.

Also in my ticket, I can see cabin book class YW. What does it mean.

pls help.
First when you go in through the departure entrance, check the name of the airline on your ticket, ask for the airlines check in desk and go there for them to verify your reference number and print your ticket for you. From there, they'd tag you bag if they are to check it in and if not, proceed to the waiting room from where you'd proceed to boarding your flight. Safe trip bro wink
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by nkezecheckport: 7:39am On May 27, 2021
1. First help you will do yourself is get to the airport early enough.

2. It's not a crime to be be ignorant, but a crime not to be bold enough to ask questions. If the first person don't answer go on to the next person, infact always ask a second person because that first person may be ignorant.

3. Only asked those people who are in uniform and wearing properly displayed Identity on their chest.

4. Open your eyes and read signs and directions and labels all over the airport.

5. If you are smart enough you meet someone going to your same destination with your flight. Just Tag along.

Follow all these steps and thank me later
Bon voyage

1 Like

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Oju4190: 7:45am On May 27, 2021
When u get to d departure hall..... Approach any airport official, not cleaner oooo.....Tell him/her that u are new....They will guild u.... Simple as ABC...Nor fear dey nor dey chop person 4 deir
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by bigcee(m): 7:45am On May 27, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:
Make sure you buy GUM before heading to the Airport. 4get what people flaunt on social media.
It's neva a Good experience esp. with LOCAL Flights. INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS have got good stability. U need try that too.
Finally, Before boarding ARIK Airbus B398 en route Lagos to Port Harcourt give ur life to Christ, the PILOT is a WHEELBARROW pusher.
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by AerialMapper: 7:46am On May 27, 2021
Get to the airport on time

Walk to the ticket counter and check-in your luggage (if any), our airlines are archaic so you have to follow your luggage to the baggage scanner where they'll scan it and try to extort you if you are carry certain items. Keep perfumes, creams and any liquids you do not wish to lose in you checked-in baggage. If you are traveling with only hand luggage, leave them at home.

Walk to the departure area where they'll ask you to strip, another archaic practise. Dont wear socks with holes or have smelly feet or wear oversized trousers that will fall if you take off your belt. Cos you'll take off your belt , shoes, watch. Also keep your laptop in your hand luggage and bring it out separately for scanning.

Next, you'll sit in the departure lounge and this is where you have to be very aware. The announcers speak through their nose and you can miss your flight if you do not listen carefully to every announcement. Keep a mental note of your flight number and airline before your enter Ethiopian air and find your self in Addis Ababa.

Your flight will be called and you'll queue for boarding. Nigerians love to rush to the front of the queue so they'll take up overhead bin space in the aircraft...so take note.

You'll get to the aircraft and you look for you seat using the seat number on your ticket. Sit down, put on your sear belt and relax.

On landing, as usual, nigerians will jump out of the seat to rush out of the aircraft. Dont panic, there is no fire, we are just always in a hurry.

Get off the plane, walt to the arrivals, get you check in luggage if any and make sure you still have your luggage claim slip. We have yet another archaic practice of checking luggage slips when leaving the terminal.

Enjoy!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by MikeMicheal(m): 7:47am On May 27, 2021
It is easy, just look around and enter the kano plane
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by GorillaApp(m): 7:49am On May 27, 2021
FarahAideed:
First of all what kind of captain are U?

Military , pilot cheesy or soccer captain
Captain wey no know anything about plane grin

2 Likes

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Coldie(m): 7:50am On May 27, 2021
Don't give money to anybody who tells u anything for the boys. That apart they try to cheat u tru the bag weight measurements so be careful about it
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by geezynoni: 7:55am On May 27, 2021
delpee:

The airport officials and crew of the airline are always there to guide you.

However, once you check in at the appropriate counter for your airline of choice, go to the departure lounge. You'll pass your hand luggage through a scanning machine. Don't get carried away by ambience of the lounge ( depending on the airport). Listen attentively to the announcements so that you know when your plane arrives or it's time to board.

Proceed to the designated tarmac (ask the officials at the exit door) once the plane is ready for boarding.
Don't go and enter Maiduguri plane instead of Kano. grin

You'll join a queue by the plane for your ticket to be checked before you climb the steps to enter the plane. Once you get in, the hostess will show you your seat if you're not sure. It will be nice if you get to seat by the window so you can enjoy the view. The hostess will show you how to fasten your seat belt. Hopefully, you'll be served some snacks and juice/water later.

When you get tò Kano, just follow others as they proceed to the arrival lounge where you'll collect your checked in luggage if any. You go out of the airport from there to get a cab. Though more expensive, you're safer with registered cabs in a town that you're not familiar with.

Have a safe flight and enjoyable stay in Kano.

Tell us your experience after.
I remember when I first boarded a plane, I been dey follow one woman drag sit. Foolish me.
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Depressed101: 7:58am On May 27, 2021
Sunofgod:
Do as others do;....
e go enter maiduguri plane grin
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by kenex4ever(m): 8:05am On May 27, 2021
CilicMarin:

You will be surprised that it would be easier for you to navigate your way through the airport than Good is Good motors, Ezenwata Motor Parks etc..

However these are the steps;

Make sure you arrive the airport 1 hour before departure time(Since you are flying for the first time) . Once you get to the airport departure hall, check for the booked airline stand, because you are going to be seeing: Max air, Air Peace , Dana Air cubicles inside the hall...you can also ask anybody on reflective jacket(officials) to direct you to your airline stand...

When you get there, join others on the queue for checking in..make sure, you have your ID card and booking number handy..Once checked in, you would be handed a boarding pass to enable you board your plane....and if you carry a heavy luggage, they would be also checked in...don't worry about where they are taking your bags to..be rest assured, you would see them in Kano upon arrival...

When you are done with the above, ask them to direct you to the boarding hall, where you are going to wait for announcement of your airline...listen attentively whenever any announcement is made and check your ticket if your airline is being called; You would be hearing something like: Max Air 777 Lagos to Kano boarding at exit G etc..

Now, I assume you have entered inside the plane...show any of the cabin crew members your boarding pass, he/she will direct you to your booked seat...Then wait for further announcements by the air crew including the pilot...Don't look down if you have phobia for height grin grin..and don't panic, when the plane encounters air turbulence or they would find out say you be JJC... grin Just look for newspaper and be acting as if you ve been flying all your life.. grin

On arrival in Kano, just follow fellow passengers to where you can retrieve your baggage...then hail a taxi to your hotel or destination...

Safe journey!

Explained the best possible way.
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by meobizy(f): 8:06am On May 27, 2021
After receiving all the necessary advice from here, don't forget to update us next week on how everything went.
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by aviationguy: 8:11am On May 27, 2021
Hello my guy,dont be worried I work at the Airport am available to assist you any day you are travelling.......call me or whatsapp 08032387510.
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Penywise(m): 8:14am On May 27, 2021
I'm going to kano next week, get ticket for me let's go together.
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Alex80s(m): 8:16am On May 27, 2021
Follow other tips given to you above carefully.

However, if you don't want anyone to notice that you are a "first timer". Carefully find your seat number on your ticket and locate the corresponding seat on board. For example : seat 8b etc. so that someone won't tell you to stand up.

Moreover, prepare your mind incase of turbulence. DON'T SHOUT,,, JESUS!!! OR ALLAH!!! when others are calm. Be calm in case of that, it's normal though. You will be surprised you have reached ur destination in no distant time.

Moreover, if your bag isn't heavy, put inside the carbin if you can't keep it near you or on the floor.

Safe travels.
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by threegees(f): 8:16am On May 27, 2021
COdeGenesis:

THIS EARLY MORNING
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by kunle75(m): 8:16am On May 27, 2021
CaptainZubi:
I have my ticket already. Flight slated for next week. I decided to check out the domestic airport today and see things ahead of time but everything was so confusing . I tried asking one man i met at the departure entrance and he just dey squeez face like person wey never chop. I went back home empty handed. Everything is just confusing. Entering ezenwata , God is good or chisco no get wahala reach this .

I'll be travelling to Kano, when I enter the departure door, where should I go, what should I do. Abeg help my life, I'm just confused. Just describe the whole process for me. Also when I get to my destination what next.

Also in my ticket, I can see cabin book class YW. What does it mean.

pls help.

I don't know much about flying but what I do know crystal clear is that once your flight ticket have been confirmed paid by the airline, you will receive your boarding pass which will spell out the details of your flight itinerary.
Just make sure you arrive at the airport early enough for your flight and security checks because the line sometimes is very long.
Best bet just walk straight to the preferred airline counter at the airport they will help you out with whatever questions you have and same as your arrival at your destination just ask questions and people will help.
Am flying back to my base today myself after l flown inn two days ago for some family functions and my flight is slated for 11.45am but am wide awake now so as to catch up with my morning routines, return the car I rented for running around and still make my flight back .
It depends on you and what you want to do for the day but you will be fine if you catch one or two from my response here.
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by GodisFirst: 8:17am On May 27, 2021
It is not a big deal.
The most important are. Take with you a means of identification like ID card, National IDor international passport.
Ensure you eat or take some snacks and water as cost of thing at the airport are expensive.
Arrive at the airport early enough, as a new person to airport protocols, get there at least 3 to 4 hours before the flight departure time so that you have time to correct any mistakes. Especially in a busy airport where you have long queues.
If it is international flight, officially you have to be there at least 4 hours before the flight departure because its' own protocols is longer and takes more time, so for a first timer on international flight, alot more that 5 hours. Sometimes you are held on the road by traffic at the airport entrance, so factor all into your plan.

Luggage weight.
Make sure your check-in luggage is not above 20kg or you pay for excess luggage which used to be #500 per kg for any extra kg. For instance if your luggage weight is 30kg which is extra 10kg, then be ready to part with #5000 for the excess. If it is more, you pay more. It will be better to travel light having only things that are so essential or important to your travel, things you know you need and you can't buy when you get to your final destination.

Your carry on luggage or hand luggage should be less than 6kg. Put extra from this carry on luggage into the Check-in luggage.

If you have anything that is a sharp object like, scissors, hair clipper, knife, put them in your check-in luggage not in your carry on because they will confiscate it or ask you to go back and check it in if you are lucky to have the time.

Liquids in bottles, explosives, magnets, etc. Are not allowed.

At Arrival,
just walk in and pass your luggage through the scanner, collect them from behind the scanner, don't forget any of your items as you are alone no one takes care of your things for your there. Also don't take care of any other person's item as you may not know the content which might implicate you if it is a prohibited item like explosive.
When you pick your luggage proceed to your Airline's Checkin counter. You will see other airlines, so go to the airline you have their ticket.

They will put your luggage on the weighing scale to determine the weight. Then they will tag them and check them in. Collect your boarding pass with a copy of the luggage tag sticked behind the boarding pass.
Now you are left with the hand carry luggage or carry on luggage. You have to proceed to checkbin yourself and your hand luggage into the Waiting lounge.

In the waiting lounge keep your ears open to know when your own flight is boarding. The airline will announce boarding of other flights but you will know if it is your flight by the Flight number on your ticket and boarding pass. The flight number and flight time can be changed but must be announced.

I believe with these, you are good to go. It will get better with time as you get more experience.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Kellie069(m): 8:17am On May 27, 2021
It’s simple ! When u enter the departure hall, look for your airline stand. U will see different airlines with the name of the airline on a tag, approach ur own and register your laugage n confirm ur ticket! Ur luggages will be scanned and collected ! The receptionist go direct you go where your aeropoane de, e go still de the new ticket way dem give plus ur seat number .Upon getting to the plane , u go see the air hostesses, just smile and return their greetings ! Na to locate ur seat number n sit down! Fasten your seatbelt and wait for flight to start!
Now there is a trick here , if the flight wan take off eh, small funny thing fit happen to you as a first timer , but just plug earphone for ear and commot mind for the flight . E nor go turn upside down , no fear ‘ help me greet Kano pple
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by dontro(m): 8:19am On May 27, 2021
In addition to what some people have said:

- Don't forget your ID card (National ID, Driver's License, PVC or equivalent)

- Get there 1 hour early, especially as a first timer

- Take photos! No need to be shy or forming regular. It's your first and you need to record the memory***

- The seatbelt isn't like that of car. Ask your neighbor if you can't figure out how to use it or just do a search on YouTube

- The speakers usually not clear. You need to pay extra attention to know when your flight is ready to board

+ Minor turbulence is normal. Don't freak out. What's minor or major? Well, if others are not panicking, it is minor

3 Likes

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by McTobe(m): 8:19am On May 27, 2021
In Summary :
1. Don’t Forget your ID Card,
2. Go well on time like an hour before your flight time
3. Ask those guys on airport reflective aprons for help
4. Don’t be Shy to ask all those ones on the queue that looks like they have been flying for help, be sincere to tell them that you are flying for the first time( I did that and it was very helpful)
5. When you board just calm down and enjoy your self
NB: when they ask you to turn off your phone please do o e get why

How I wish One nairalander should be on hand to welcome you to Kano but hold your opinion to yourself o especially if you have radical views on politics thread grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Calabar Mega City Master Plan (AKWACROSS 2040) / Ambode’s New Bus Stop Shelters: Can They Stand The Test Of Time? / What's Up With Ghana And Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.