Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,883 members, 7,813,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead (50243 Views)

Students Mock Their Former Teacher Seen On Bike (VIDEO) / Top SA University Drops Afrikaans (The Language of the "Oppressor") / Tuition Fees For New (100L) Covenant University Students 2017/2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by GorillaApp(m): 9:19am On Jun 02, 2021
TMKsouth:

I'm not sure about Nigerian varsities.

In South Africa the government is issuing laptops because of the Covid lockdown. But even before then they got free data on their phones to assist with their studies and some educational sites zero-rated.

They should just auction this country to Switzerland and send all out politicians to Guantanamo bay.
One nice, rich gentleman should kukuma adopt me

1 Like

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 9:20am On Jun 02, 2021
Thunder will fire anybody that will compare Nigeria with South Africa.... the government invest in their youths while Nigeria government kills their youths because they were afraid of uprising... in South Africa every soul is entitled to bursary... once u are through with school...work is right there waiting for you...

We have 1 country in Africa, which is South Africa, Nigeria is a state while the rest of others are local government

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by tonididdy(m): 9:21am On Jun 02, 2021
constance500:
No difference and you expect dem to not shout
Wey the one wey your useless govt provide?
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 02, 2021
TMKsouth:

I'm not sure about Nigerian varsities.

In South Africa the government is issuing laptops because of the Covid lockdown. But even before then they got free data on their phones to assist with their studies and some educational sites zero-rated.

Trust a Southy to come here and try to rub it in.

A number of universities in Nigeria also offer free WiFi services to their students.

I know my Alma mater does. Not just students, if you are in the school and hostel vicinities you'll be able to use the school internet services.

Also, Nigerians are wont to overdramatize the ineptitude of leadership in Nigeria a lot. (Understandably so)

Students in Nigeria are also given bursary awards that can comfortably get them brand new laptops.

My state gives law students a huge grant to offset their law school expenses.

Many things may be wrong with Nigeria but there are some things right too...just like your country.

So, don't come and brag here because Nigerians are trashing their country.

2 Likes

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by Dbarrzx: 9:29am On Jun 02, 2021
this one look like bread toaster
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by Starboytwo(m): 9:31am On Jun 02, 2021
Soleye24:

Bro what the Bleep are you typing here? Free WiFi? When did you gained admission? You really need to check your receipts, I paid 5k from 100level to 400level for wifi. Or are you talking about another unilorin I don't know of? And if the tab got better every year, why was it eventually scrabbled? It was a daylight robbery by Abdulganiy Anbali
bro 5k for internet connectivity from 100l to 400l is quite cheap anywhere in the world. Anyway, I don't really know much about unilorin of late, however, during our time, the tab and free WiFi was a GREAT THING THAT HAPPENED TO US.
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by kevoh(m): 9:35am On Jun 02, 2021
Lekan239:
there was a time Fayemi the present Govornor of Ekiti state shared a good laptop to all secondary school student and all teachers of the state. i guess some other state gov might have done that too.

we tend to forget good deeds easily in Nigeria
No, we didn't forget. Student welfare is supposed to be continuous and should cut across virtually all government Universities. That was the point of my previous post! The world will not end if we all clamor that other current Governors imitate Fayemi. We are so used to old and archaic methods of doing things while suffering and smiling that it has now become the norm!

3 Likes

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by joyandfaith: 9:41am On Jun 02, 2021
codemaniacs:

Very beautiful point. Independent activists were selfish especially those from south. That is reason why we are here today.
Amalgamation of 1914 was first misstep. Southern leaders signed the document without thinking. Second misstep was agitation for national independent. Each nation within Nigeria should have fought for their independence separately.

quote author=MALIGNANTGuest post=102284393]The WHITES left NIGERIA too quick.
We didn't learn anything from them.
Dey just gave CAVEMEN administration 2 manage.
Did we really known the rudiments of governance when the colonial masters left.?
That's why we are where we are today.
How can you give a BMW 5 SERIES to a VILLAGE PALM WINE tapper and expect excellence?
Of what relevance will that be to him.

Just imagine a country having PMB as president in this 2021. What an Apology!
A president who knows nothing about Education or Green Energy, yet he's surrounded by learned elites who keep mum to avoid being maimed.
Yet he attends all the summits abroad, returns home only 2 visits COWS in Funtua & Daura.

You guys are wrong.

Holland planned to stay in S.A and totally dominate all sectors of S.A and keep the indegenes in poverty.

After S.A Independence 1994, black South Africans could get better paying jobs and govt jobs. Black South Africans also inherited a good infrastructural planning system and they should be credited for sticking to that system.

I said the below comment to another nl user who asked why S.A is developed:

" haven't you also asked yourself why in 1914 when southern Nigeria was making loads of revenue the british did not build planned housing estates, schools, hospitals, sports centers e.t.c all over southern Nigeria but they decided to join it with northern Nigeria and use part of the revenue from southern Nigeria to govern and finance northern Nigeria...

planned housing estates in southern Nigeria in 1914 will have eradicated mud houses in southern Nigeria and the catastrophe of unplanned housing you see in ibadan, ogun state and other places in Nigeria..

they could also have given southern Nigeria social benefits like unemployment benefits, free education, free healthcare e.t.c.. it was Awolowo that started free education.. if the b:ritish had started it there won't be so many Nigerians without formal education in 2021 "
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by realray(m): 9:44am On Jun 02, 2021
And they're comparing themselves with nigeria, what is laptop that yahoo guys are using any how....
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by codemaniacs: 9:48am On Jun 02, 2021
joyandfaith:

Very beautiful point. Independent activists were selfish especially those from south. That is reason why we are here today.
Amalgamation of 1914 was first misstep. Southern leaders signed the document without thinking. Second misstep was agitation for national independent. Each nation within Nigeria should have fought for their independence separately.

If you read yesterday's post on the allocations each region got from the Brit:ish you'll understand the reason for agitating for Independence.

England didn't want each nation to get separate Independence because they couldn't control the southern leaders of that time especially the SW.
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:54am On Jun 02, 2021
sad oboi see fine/better school clean
No polythene bags no sand for road.

1 Like

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by frog12: 9:58am On Jun 02, 2021
Blacks are always arrogant and angry. they want to be BREAST FEED with MILK all the time !!

it's best to leave them to their MISERY.
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by joyandfaith: 10:01am On Jun 02, 2021
codemaniacs:

If you read yesterday's post on the allocations each region got from the Brit:ish you'll understand the reason for agitating for Independence.

England didn't want each nation to get separate Independence because they couldn't control the southern leaders of that time especially the SW.

I know. But south still had option of getting independence at their own term. Nations fought for independence. We did not fight for it in real sense. Independence activists bargained for it.
If southern leaders fought a real fight for independence, uk would not go in 1960. Uk would have been around for some years.
It granted independence because it knew Nigeria would fail as a country.
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by codemaniacs: 10:09am On Jun 02, 2021
joyandfaith:

I know. But south still had option of getting independence at their own term. Nations fought for independence. We did not fight for it in real sense. Independence activists bargained for it.
If southern leaders fought a real fight for independence, uk would not go in 1960. Uk would have been around for some years.
It granted independence because it knew Nigeria would fail as a country.

It granted Independence because there would have been an uprising against them especially in the SW and because it's companies will control the oil sector and other sectors even till date..

Not because it knew it would fail. Don't forget they were the same ones that sponsored the civil war and sold weapons to Nigeria.
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by golddare: 10:49am On Jun 02, 2021
TMKsouth:
Government-funded students at the Tshwane University of Technology (Pretoria, South Africa) recently got the surprise of their lives when the laptops they were excitedly waiting for from the student fund program (NSFAS) turned out to be quite the joke. Heading online, one student who was given the option between receiving R5,000 (N150,000) for study material or a laptop, shared the snaps of the baby blue laptop that admittedly closely resembles the ones made for kids games.

TUT students and Twitter users alike could not deal with the toaster-looking laptops and wasted no time heading to the app to share various posts about the outdated laptop.

https://mobile.twitter.com/danielmarven/status/1399451320474558467

Next time make sure you see the laptop before making such decision.

1 Like

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by DedeNkem: 10:52am On Jun 02, 2021
At least, their school is not on strike, lecturers are paid their salaries steadily and students are given free stuff, unlike Nigerian schools.

1 Like

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by Odunolumide(m): 10:54am On Jun 02, 2021
Starboytwo:
forget, unilorin gives year 1 students Tab.

This no follow at all...do you know how much you pay for the tab?
50k!
The tab no even worth 50k self . You shouldn't have brought that in here.
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by TMKsouth: 11:20am On Jun 02, 2021
Techguy96:

All laptop are 64 bit they no longer make 32 bit laptop, 4gig is still very poor when u consider performance.

Wow, thanx. Honestly, I'm not a techie, that's why I quoted someone else instead.

1 Like

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by TMKsouth: 11:29am On Jun 02, 2021
geezynoni:
Nd na university of technology..maybe na prank.

Lol grin grin grin

Second-tier universities in SA were formerly called technikons during apartheid, and focussed more on technical degrees.

After apartheid they were renamed institutions of technology but they are anything but. So funny you should spot out the irony to me. grin

1 Like

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by TMKsouth: 11:35am On Jun 02, 2021
Ikillbrokehoes:
This jobless SA fooool again

My job is to taunt you cool. Did you miss me on the FP yesterday also? Checkout my profile my dear friend Ikissbrokejoes.

But seriously, funny how u rushed to read this thread grin grin grin
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by Ashirioluwa: 11:43am On Jun 02, 2021
South African government gave students books allowance.

I just don’t know what is wrong with this country called Nigeria

1 Like

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by TMKsouth: 11:44am On Jun 02, 2021
GorillaApp:

They should just auction this country to Switzerland and send all out politicians to Guantanamo bay.
One nice, rich gentleman should kukuma adopt me

Lol, you chose a fine country to buy Nigeria there - Switzerland. Funny last line grin
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by TMKsouth: 11:50am On Jun 02, 2021
FrLukas:

Trust a Southy to come here and try to rub it in.

A number of universities in Nigeria also offer free WiFi services to their students.

I know my Alma mater does. Not just students, if you are in the school and hostel vicinities you'll be able to use the school internet services.

Also, Nigerians are wont to overdramatize the ineptitude of leadership in Nigeria a lot. (Understandably so)

Students in Nigeria are also given bursary awards that can comfortably get them brand new laptops.

My state gives law students a huge grant to offset their law school expenses.

Many things may be wrong with Nigeria but there are some things right too...just like your country.

So, don't come and brag here because Nigerians are trashing their country.

You could have written down all your points without projecting your insecurities onto me.
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by wiseone28: 11:53am On Jun 02, 2021
GeneralPula:

Like say road with open gutters no day SA too?
Is it rampant like Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by TMKsouth: 12:03pm On Jun 02, 2021
golddare:

Hen you are offered 5k or laptop and not 100k you should have idea of what's coming, anyways it's better than the 5k. Good decision.

Lol, your first line is correct cheesy

But it's 5K in rands and not naira. You can get a decent entry level laptop for 5k in SA.
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by Soleye24(m): 12:15pm On Jun 02, 2021
Starboytwo:
bro 5k for internet connectivity from 100l to 400l is quite cheap anywhere in the world. Anyway, I don't really know much about unilorin of late, however, during our time, the tab and free WiFi was a GREAT THING THAT HAPPENED TO US.
My point was it was never free as you claimed. Bro, the strategy of charging 5k per session for bandwidth was to siphon money, bandwidth is meant to be free. Well, it all depends on your definition of great, there was too much agitation to stop the pad because it was bad, only few had good ones. FYI, the innovation started in 2013 and we were the first to receive the tab, so I know what I'm talking about.
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by phadul: 12:27pm On Jun 02, 2021
Africa will always be Africa no matter the high rise buildings and suits corruption is our ways
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by tivhador: 1:25pm On Jun 02, 2021
Tshwane University of Technology? There's nothing technological about that digital toast-bread maker-shaped excuse of a computer. Laptop is too stylish a name for that junk
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 1:28pm On Jun 02, 2021
DonCortino:

it doesn't happen in nigeria.
Baami, we're Nigerians and we know the truth o...
Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by IronGalaxy: 1:59pm On Jun 02, 2021
AdolfHitlerxXx:
South Africa shows clearly that Nigeria would have benefitted from colonisation till the 1990s.
oh my goodness! Will you guys stop buttlicking whites for once. Jesus, it's irritating as hell

2 Likes

Re: SA University Students Mock Silly-Looking Laptops & Choose Free 150K Instead by IronGalaxy: 2:01pm On Jun 02, 2021
wiseone28:
I sweep for Nigeria anytime i see south Africa landscape..

They suffered but at least it pays.

If a south African travels to Nigeria and see a road with open gutters he will be like WTF cheesy
smh. Suffering through colonization "pays"? The level of house niggarism over there is shocking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Masters Degree Program Aspirants Meet Here / 2019/2020 UNIBEN Admission Guide Thread!!! / Roof Shot Of The University Of Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.