Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,357 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC (49221 Views)

How Popular Nigerian Televangelist TB Joshua Died / TB Joshua, The Synagogue And Conspiracies / Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by inumidun2010(m): 1:23pm On Jun 08, 2021
EdCure:
Indeed it is hard to see the church going on without him.
I've also been thinking that the church may actually collapse without TB Joshua.

Everyone thought Celestial Church of Christ
Would collapse after the demise if SBJ OSHOFFA... But today they have spread across like WILDFIRE.... The White are already FAMILIAR withh SCOAN.. Expect more branches across the GLOBE, did you know TB JOSHUA closed down Branches because he said he doesn't want PUBLICITY.... Expect SCOAN Church In ONITSHA anytime soon and in your street
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by ghiloman28(m): 1:29pm On Jun 08, 2021
May his soul rest in peace sad
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by sunshineV(f): 1:30pm On Jun 08, 2021
DDayve:

You are not God. If you are destined to die younger than 57, you will die
u will at 57 werey omo
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Sterope(f): 1:33pm On Jun 08, 2021
This applies to all spiritualities/religions. Leave the miracle to the holy books and heavens.

In response, Ms Adelakun says: "There is no miracle that is real.

"I know this is not what Christians will agree to but there is no miracle that can grow your legs. There is no miracle that can raise the dead. All of those things are staged to help you to believe."

Reminds me of the emperor's new clothes. grin
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by jantman(m): 1:34pm On Jun 08, 2021
SmartPolician:
One significant thing I noticed about Prophet TB Joshua is that he was the ONLY Nigerian preacher who goes to national stadia and high-capacity arenas in foreign countries and attract hundreds of thousands of local worshippers (and unbelievers) in his crusades.

For the rest of the pastors who have multiple branches (parishes) all over the place, you will just notice that those who always attend their crusades outside Nigeria are Nigerians and other black people in those countries.

TB Joshua was one of the best things that ever happened to Nigeria and the Nigerian economy. This country and the world in general will miss you for the message of hope, unprecedented healings, financial breakthroughs and charity.

Rest on, Prophet. cry

You have spoken the pure truth, and your truth reveals who you are.

Stay bless
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Jungleluv5: 1:34pm On Jun 08, 2021
Omihanifa:
'They thought he was fake'

Mr Joshua came from a poor background and was brought up by his Muslim uncle following the death of his Christian father.

He mostly wore a jalabia - a loose-fitting garment worn by Muslims, and kept a moustache that gave him an intense look.

When Mr Joshua started his ministry on television in the mid-90s, his hair did not glisten, his shoes were not shiny and he did not have an American twang - he spoke with a Yoruba accent, and a mixture of English and Pidgin.

His followers found him charismatic and down-to-earth, and his message spread around the world.

Mr Joshua refined himself as he became wealthy, adding a fleet of cars and a private jet to look the part, but he remained an outsider.

Most Nigerian pastors are products of a mentorship scheme where senior pastors are referred to as "daddy/mummy in the Lord".

"They don't believe you can stand on your own without having anyone to defer to," says Gbenga Osinaike, publisher of Nigeria's leading Pentecostal publication.

"The extreme charismatic movements feel you need a mentor - Paul, father of Timothy, Elijah, father of Elisha, and all that. They thought he was fake and the relationship was frosty."

Born on 12 June 1963, Mr Joshua also did not help himself with outlandish claims - one of them being that he was in his mother's womb for 15 months.

To witness his prayer sessions in the early days of his televised ministry was to be treated to exorcism that many felt bordered on the occult.

Some of it felt like a hypnotic session, others like that of a magician at work.
He was not effusively dramatic when he prayed, and seemed not to expend a great deal of strength when he supposedly commanded spirits out of humans.

But he still wielded enormous power - people fell when he spread out his arms, rolled when he snapped his fingers, and his breath pushed back rows and rows of his congregation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57388592
No private jet, he was a humble and down to earth man he lived a very simple life
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Legendrysailor(m): 1:34pm On Jun 08, 2021
T.b Joshua is one of the few genuine prophet's in Nigeria.
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by zoedew: 1:40pm On Jun 08, 2021
Omihanifa:
'They thought he was fake'

Mr Joshua came from a poor background and was brought up by his Muslim uncle following the death of his Christian father.

He mostly wore a jalabia - a loose-fitting garment worn by Muslims, and kept a moustache that gave him an intense look.

When Mr Joshua started his ministry on television in the mid-90s, his hair did not glisten, his shoes were not shiny and he did not have an American twang - he spoke with a Yoruba accent, and a mixture of English and Pidgin.

His followers found him charismatic and down-to-earth, and his message spread around the world.

Mr Joshua refined himself as he became wealthy, adding a fleet of cars and a private jet to look the part, but he remained an outsider.

Most Nigerian pastors are products of a mentorship scheme where senior pastors are referred to as "daddy/mummy in the Lord".

"They don't believe you can stand on your own without having anyone to defer to," says Gbenga Osinaike, publisher of Nigeria's leading Pentecostal publication.

"The extreme charismatic movements feel you need a mentor - Paul, father of Timothy, Elijah, father of Elisha, and all that. They thought he was fake and the relationship was frosty."

Born on 12 June 1963, Mr Joshua also did not help himself with outlandish claims - one of them being that he was in his mother's womb for 15 months.

To witness his prayer sessions in the early days of his televised ministry was to be treated to exorcism that many felt bordered on the occult.

Some of it felt like a hypnotic session, others like that of a magician at work.
He was not effusively dramatic when he prayed, and seemed not to expend a great deal of strength when he supposedly commanded spirits out of humans.

But he still wielded enormous power - people fell when he spread out his arms, rolled when he snapped his fingers, and his breath pushed back rows and rows of his congregation.

There is more to what you say about the matter.
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Sleekfingers: 1:52pm On Jun 08, 2021
Omihanifa:
Nigeria's influential pastor TB Joshua, who has died aged 57, was considered a pariah among the country's mega-televangelists and struggled until his death to be accepted within their circles, despite amassing millions of followers across Africa.

Ostracised by both the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) he was described as an "impostor" who belonged to a group of "occults" that had infiltrated Christianity.

But Mr Joshua was no different from the other televangelists who have held many Nigerians in their grip with their "prosperity messages" since the early 1990s.

Most of them are more dramatic and perform the same "miracles", but Mr Joshua - who headed the Synagogue Church Of All Nations (SCOAN) - was not part of their clique.

"He was rough. He was crude. His methods were unorthodox," says Abimbola Adelakun, assistant professor in the African Studies Department at the University of Texas.

inasmuch, i am not a fan of TB joshua or any pastor in the nigeria......may his gentle soul rest in peace.......

And for all those useless pastors critizing him and calling him fake......are they not fake themselves? Eg oyedepo the vulture, adeboye, bakare, oyakilome, mbaka, suleiman, fatoyinbo etc.......bunch of scammers.......i repeat all nigerians pastors are scammers......
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Sleekfingers: 1:53pm On Jun 08, 2021
illicit:
I know he was a philanthropist

so i heard

1 Like

Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by bodyloveghetto(m): 1:54pm On Jun 08, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright

Baby girl.......
There is no judgment day
The only judgment day we have is terminator 2

@missyajoke

I think you both are perfect match

grin cheesy
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by domchike(m): 2:08pm On Jun 08, 2021
Are u sure u wil get near the judgement sit. I come in peace oo
Missyajoke:
Whether he his fake or not fake we will know on the Judgement day. On the Judgement all this men of God we will know their true colour. The man is gone rest biko, he's he a God
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by bpalace(m): 2:14pm On Jun 08, 2021
id4sho:
shocked
Is Church service, vigils,healing programs free to attend or one needs registration?
Are congregants forced to buy some sought of books,oil, water amounting to 5K and all of that to gain access to the church auditorium?
If you don't place financial value on some of this materials... One could have a stampede as ppl struggle to get them
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by SunriseW(f): 2:15pm On Jun 08, 2021
Mehn, This report is everything, comprehensive, accurate, in-depth, smooth, catchy, making you to keep on reading till the last line. I couldn’t stop midway, Talk about real journalism. BBC is something really, whosoever that wrote this is a real reporter. I’m really fed up with news from half baked, self made journalists flying all over the place in the name of bloggers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by LLSAINT(m): 2:22pm On Jun 08, 2021
So people still dey reason like this in this century? cry

slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright

Baby girl.......
There is no judgment day
The only judgment day we have is terminator 2
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by dederocs(m): 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2021
Lies, sensationalism, he didn't struggle to be in their circles. BBC you lie here.

1 Like

Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Yahksbiz(m): 2:28pm On Jun 08, 2021
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Angy55(f): 2:30pm On Jun 08, 2021
preshyusufu:
For me, i am not the God that called TB Joshua so i cannot question his calling. one of the challenges he had in his life time was him not be accepted by the body of Christians in Nigeria. This alone is a enough frustration and he had this case of his church collapse on him all through.

These two challenges can affect ones peace. I HAVE VOW NOT JUDGE ANY MAN OF GOD, BECAUSE EVEN ME, I AM NOT PERFECT.

RIP Prophet T. B. JOSHUA.

They didn't accept him yet they preach 'love thy neighbour as thy self'. It's funny.

Where is the love?
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by lizdammy: 2:31pm On Jun 08, 2021
I observed one thing about him. Upon all the allegations against him, he never responded to any.

He just kept on doing God's work.

Rest on TB Joshua. You can never satisfy everyone on earth.

Lesson: When criticized and attacked, keep focused on your life assignment and don't bother yourself with the critics.

I first learnt about TB JOSHUA in a newspaper publication where a certain spent a lot of time 'exposing', 'revealing' and making series of allegations against him.

What did all the attacks end up achieving? They helped make him more popular IMHO.

1 Like

Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Nonexisting: 2:32pm On Jun 08, 2021
November24:

He's actually fake
Heaven's spokeswoman.
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Midas01: 2:42pm On Jun 08, 2021
I have attended that church numerous times and no one was forced to buy anything.
id4sho:
shocked
Is Church service, vigils,healing programs free to attend or one needs registration?
Are congregants forced to buy some sought of books,oil, water amounting to 5K and all of that to gain access to the church auditorium?
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Midas01: 2:45pm On Jun 08, 2021
Yes , I know people with first hand healing and deliverance experiences.
Elock1:
shocked
Please I want to ask apart from TB Joshua helping the needy... Did he also do deliverance as people say, like miracles and all?

I'm not tryna smear him, just that the people I know that went to SCOAN for healing and miracle still came back the same.

So I wanna know if anyone really got first hand experience here?
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by MAYOWAAK: 2:45pm On Jun 08, 2021
Muchmore024:
I remember having a dream last year August that he dead. The dream was so real. I even did a voice record immediately after the dream so I won't forget. Still on my phone till this moment. RIP GOD'S GENERAL

Who invented the title "God's General". The most eminent tools in God's hands called themselves "Servants". From where did we get this strange title?

It turns out that the only General in God's army is Christ our Savior who is the Captain of our salvation.
"For it befitted him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings." (Heb 2:10)

2 Likes

Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 2:47pm On Jun 08, 2021
Muchmore024:
I remember having a dream last year August that he dead. The dream was so real. I even did a voice record immediately after the dream so I won't forget. Still on my phone till this moment. RIP GOD'S GENERAL

Like seriously?? shocked

1 Like

Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by MAYOWAAK: 2:52pm On Jun 08, 2021
inumidun2010:

Everyone thought Celestial Church of Christ
Would collapse after the demise if SBJ OSHOFFA... But today they have spread across like WILDFIRE.... The White are already FAMILIAR withh SCOAN.. Expect more branches across the GLOBE, did you know TB JOSHUA closed down Branches because he said he doesn't want PUBLICITY.... Expect SCOAN Church In ONITSHA anytime soon and in your street

Since Celestial was founded in 1947, branches had been in existence.
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by ogwuche4u(m): 3:00pm On Jun 08, 2021
A true MOG. His teachings were not of earthly frivolities. His teachings were centered on love, humility, faith and obedience. His family life was so private. You hardly see the wife coming on stage not like all these other churches where the pastors are already grooming their children to take over the mantle of leadership once they go to the Afterlife. A great philanthropist with no religious affiliation when it comes to giving. I don't attend his church but if I am tune to any church TV, his always come first. May His soul rest in peace.

Nobody is above death. Be prepared at all times for his coming we don't know when.
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by ogwuche4u(m): 3:06pm On Jun 08, 2021
Angrygoat:
The sight of the building only shows its demonic. Shey na Airport. Everything is covered hidden and dark. How many feet be the fence sef. Demonic synagogue. God disgraced him

Truly na angry goat you be. Nonsense. undecided
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Kdon2: 3:12pm On Jun 08, 2021
GeneralPula:
Hypocrisy amidst Christianity sha..

They conspired against him to tag him fake..

I’m damnn sure one of the reasons why they’re a giant this man was the fact that he does charity that the rest don’t usually do..

You won’t see him claiming fake miracle over health matters..

He had helped a lot of sick people regain their good health, not fake via miracles but thru medicals..

See as they’re all silent including CAN..

I’m not surprised tho. Jesus was killed before Christianity was formed. There was nothing like Christianity during Jesus Christ Era..

Anti Christ. Did you people accept the Christ and his preachings? No! So stop blaming.
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Kdon2: 3:17pm On Jun 08, 2021
NSNA:
Prophet TB Joshua lead by example helping the poor and needy. Unlike other Daddy G.Oss that were opening private school for the elites in society with the money of their poor congregation members.

Which ones did your imam open other than creating almajiris? Just ranting gibberish.
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by Gjmff: 3:32pm On Jun 08, 2021
Life
Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by teacherbim(f): 3:38pm On Jun 08, 2021
Elock1:
shocked
Please I want to ask apart from TB Joshua helping the needy... Did he also do deliverance as people say, like miracles and all?

I'm not tryna smear him, just that the people I know that went to SCOAN for healing and miracle still came back the same.

So I wanna know if anyone really got first hand experience here?
When I finished my secondary school,I worked as a receptionist with one of his member Mrs Ezeobi, that always brought his holy water to the office, she was trying to conceive as at that time, could you believe that she got pregnant at the age of 57 years and gave birth to twins

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC by inumidun2010(m): 3:48pm On Jun 08, 2021
MAYOWAAK:

Since Celestial was founded in 1947, branches had been in existence.

Yes, I know... But there were speculations that the CHURCH would be stunted due to the death of the LEADER... But today they have increased home and abroad. The death of the founder wasn't a limit... Now is the time for the WISEMEN to shine....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Husband Means Master" - Chris Oyakhilome / "MEND" Claims Responsibility For The SCOAN Disaster??? / Bishop Oyedepo Preaching Near Devils Shrine In Sango Ota

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.