Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. (6800 Views)

Winfarms 2021 Raining/dry Okra Farm / Governor Obiano Flags Off 2021 Wet Season Farming(photos) / Hidden Facts About Pig Farming (our Practical Experience) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 7:51pm On Aug 08, 2021
BlissGod:

My partner is in benue, he wants to know the name of the village in otukpo to check it out.

We are trying to calculate our best options.
lower Benue Otukpo

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by ideepaul: 7:05am On Aug 09, 2021
LegitPlug:
I also would like to take the chance to ask what could be this cause of this to some of my corn... Picture attached
looks like northern corn leaf blight sir

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by LegitPlug: 11:11am On Aug 09, 2021
ideepaul:
looks like northern corn leaf blight sir

Yes it is. Do you know the best fungicide I can apply to manage it?
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by ideepaul: 11:33pm On Aug 11, 2021
LegitPlug:

Yes it is. Do you know the best fungicide I can apply to manage it?
I am sorry, I have been having difficulty logging in to nairaland, mancozeb, azoxystrobin(found in ortiva top), hexanocole are used, a combination of mancozeb and hexanocole fungicides could help prevent it and maybe manage if a bit for reasonable harvests, but for effective control, plant blight and rust resistant hybrid cultivars (if you are not sure of its resistance, avoid planting corn on that farm as the disease spores will be on the soil waiting for another year), then apply the above stated fungicide combination according to instructions and observe PHI and re-entry periods.

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by ideepaul: 11:38pm On Aug 11, 2021
ideepaul:

I am sorry, I have been having difficulty logging in to nairaland, mancozeb, azoxystrobin(found in ortiva top), hexanocole are used, a combination of mancozeb and hexanocole fungicides could help prevent it and maybe manage if a bit for reasonable harvests, but for effective control, plant blight and rust resistant hybrid cultivars (if you are not sure of its resistance, avoid planting corn on that farm as the disease spores will be on the soil waiting for another year), then apply the above stated fungicide combination according to instructions and observe PHI and re-entry periods.
I don't do corn commercially, so information stated above is based on research papers and not my practical experience as I only plant hybrid corn when I do, and I haven't had that issue but I see alot of it around farms and farmers barely give it attention within the south as most of them aren't commercial maize farmers. You could meet the nearest agric department or ministry for more information (I suspect information given won't be far from what I stated above)
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by safarifarms(m): 9:46pm On Aug 12, 2021
LegitPlug:
I also would like to take the chance to ask what could be this cause of this to some of my corn... Picture attached

While I'm not an expert, I suspect nutrient deficiency. Corn is a heavy feeder, and once it's starved of nutrient or water to take up nutrients the result is stunting and bolting.

Concerning weed that you wrote about in another post, I think your corn may be a bit too spaced and the improper growth adds to the trouble. What spacing are you using? When I plant corn, I usually have to weed at most once and once that is done the corn will soon shade everywhere that other things (weed) will not find enough sunlight to thrive till I harvest.
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by LegitPlug: 6:59pm On Aug 13, 2021

Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by Dawson126: 7:39pm On Aug 13, 2021
LegitPlug:

Thanks for your input. I actually used the 25cm spacing on the same row and 75cm spacing in-between rows. The problem can't be spacing but my workers could have missed the affected areas during fertilizer application.

I'll be doing second application of fertilizer (Urea) on monday, is it advisable I go ahead despite most of my corn being at the stage in the attached picture while some are about 3 weeks behind?

If you apply urea on Monday, it is still going to be good but as for me, I would have preferred you apply a nitrogen source that is quickly accessible to the plants considering the stage of growth they are now. If you're considering economics, go for urea as little money will buy more kilos of nitrogen than in any other type of nitrogen source. But, Urea will take some time to be broken down in the soil in the form your crop could take but that depend on your soil ambient temperature, if it's quite high, it's favourable to you, and soil moisture, that is not a problem now considering the time we are now.
Generally, if you've been having a larger part of the day with a temperature above 25 degree Celsius, around just that period you begin to feel cold, in your area, go ahead with the urea application but it might take about 3 days for the nitrogen it it to be accessible to your crop. To be smart, get some NPK, with higher nitrogen and mix with the urea so that before the Nitrogen in the NPK finishes, the nitrogen in your urea is ready.
Nitrogen is very important during corn kernels filling and your crop will start that soon considering more water availability at this period. The fertilizer will go a long to to at least improve your yield hence your profit marginally in respect to the effect of stress your crop have gone through before. It is a nice idea. After two weeks, all things being equal, they will respond to it and you'll be glad. But next time, it would be better you apply just before tarseling for more results.

Also, as for the leaf blight/necrosis, it will take an expert to come to your field, research to judge which type and cause. There are three factors to come together for disease to attack your crop at a relative intensity. Maize roots contains a compound naturally to help it fight some bacteria and fungi attacks but if stressed, expect the level to be low, Just like human immunity. These factors are: (1) Virulent micro organism (2) favourable environmental condition (3) susceptible host.

1 above was that which caused the blight or necrosis
2 was no rain (water stress). If you look at your crop, from the old leaves, you'd see that soil needs some nutrients like sulphur, Nitrogen, Magnesium and small phosphorus (I listed the important ones glaring) among others
3 was your crop, they were tired. No energy to fight

My question now is, that part with stunted maize plants there, can you describe the soil structure there briefly. Like the colour, its stickiness, any plants remains and comparison with the rest.
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 8:07pm On Aug 13, 2021
Good evening all, truly climate change is here,
I had to console a farmer friend today, imagine spraying, harrowing and broadcasting of rice seeds on a 10heactre land second week of June 2020, when it was believed the rain is established, your rice germinates so well and your all joy.

July comes and the rain goes, 3 weeks plus in the whole of July not a single rain your young rice all dry out, August comes and it brings rain, your like lets try again, you Harrow for the second time broadcast new seeds, and again your rice sprouts and germinates so well but the rain decides to fall heavily twice daily morning and night for a week plus in August when it should be letting down, flooding your young rice totally for days starving it of sunlight,washing most of it away etc
That's the story of my friend..

Our government seems not to be taking pro active steps, we all still focused on Fulani herdsmen and farmers crises, building of agro mosque, no move to boast dry season farming nothing,

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 8:11pm On Aug 13, 2021
LegitPlug:

Thanks for your input. I actually used the 25cm spacing on the same row and 75cm spacing in-between rows. The problem can't be spacing but my workers could have missed the affected areas during fertilizer application.

I'll be doing second application of fertilizer (Urea) on monday, is it advisable I go ahead despite most of my corn being at the stage in the attached picture while some are about 3 weeks behind?

applying fertiliser to a maize plant that's tasseled already is a waste of fertiliser talk more those bearing cobs, this is based on my own experience and a research I was fortunate to be a part of, you can selectively apply to those doing badly that hasn't tasseled already

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 8:15pm On Aug 13, 2021
So rain or sunshine we must take care of our crops giving them all d care we can render,like @legitplus tomorrow we will be top dressing with urea also, pictures loading.. also since the rain has let down a little and floods reversed, planting of cassava continues..

Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by safarifarms(m): 8:18pm On Aug 13, 2021
LegitPlug:

If that's the spacing you used that is right but the picture seemed to show gaps. Perhaps the stunted growth is what is allowing weed to compete.

Applying Urea for a fruiting or about to fruit crop is counter productive. Urea enhances vegetative growth at the expense of Fruit. I won't apply Urea beyond two months. Actually I apply within the first month and afterwards it's 15:15:15.

When your corn is already in an advanced fruiting stage like this I'm not sure if there's much any fertilizer can achieve at this time. I apply my last fertilizer around when the tassels begin to appear before the fruits even start forming. If you still want to apply fertilizer (maybe on those that are 3 weeks behind, it shouldn't be Urea. Use 15:15:15 or even if it's 12:12:17 you have that should be better than Urea.

1 Like

Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 8:20pm On Aug 13, 2021
Boss Salibello and other please now is the time for you guys to brainstorm and come up with cheaper easy to use irrigation systems, dry season farming is no more the future it's now..

Happily we don't have fires here
like the onces burning all over the dry parts of the world
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 8:22pm On Aug 13, 2021
safarifarms:

If that's the spacing you used that is right but the picture seemed to show gaps. Perhaps the stunted growth is what is allowing weed to compete.

Applying Urea for a fruiting or about to fruit crop is counter productive. Urea enhances vegetative growth at the expense of Fruit. I won't apply Urea beyond two months. Actually I apply within the first month and afterwards it's 15:15:15.

When your corn is already in an advanced fruiting stage like this I'm not sure if there's much any fertilizer can achieve at this time. I apply my last fertilizer around when the tassels begin to appear before the fruits even start forming. If you still want to apply fertilizer (maybe on those that are 3 weeks behind, it shouldn't be Urea. Use 15:15:15 or even if it's 12:12:17 you have that should be better than Urea.
one of the best advice one can get, I concur
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by LegitPlug: 6:25pm On Aug 14, 2021
safarifarms:

Thank you.
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by LegitPlug: 10:39am On Sep 01, 2021
Boss how's your farm journey going?
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by noeloge82(m): 4:36pm On Sep 01, 2021
LegitPlug:

Did u by chance apply any chemical in this part
Of your farm ? If yes what did you spray
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 8:59am On Sep 03, 2021
LegitPlug:
Boss how's your farm journey going?
sorry bro I must have missed this, farm is going well, corn all tasseled and bearing cobs already and we've planted all our cassava alongside it too, just the corn output will be really reduced the drought stress really affected it
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 9:01am On Sep 03, 2021
Good morning all...
This thread is still very much alive, just that have been more focused lately on our okra project, like I said earlier maize almost set, Cassava planted so nothing much to do here again except harvest and shell our maize and also spray herbicides..

Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by Ameboperoo(m): 2:39pm On Sep 04, 2021
Krak:
Pls how does one deal with an invasion of giant rats on my farm? They have almost destroyed my houng maize plants.
Sorry I just saw this post now. Have you been able to manage them?
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by HornyTave: 7:00pm On Sep 14, 2021
willybaby:
Good morning all...
This thread is still very much alive, just that have been more focused lately on our okra project, like I said earlier maize almost set, Cassava planted so nothing much to do here again except harvest and shell our maize and also spray herbicides..

Which herbicide do you use for pre-emergence
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 1:42pm On Sep 15, 2021
HornyTave:

Which herbicide do you use for pre-emergence
Lagon herbicide
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by HornyTave: 3:12pm On Sep 15, 2021
willybaby:
Lagon herbicide
na almost every month I deh pump. fake don too much
so after brushing nd burning I should pump lagon or wait for grass to come up
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by jude79(m): 1:02pm On Dec 02, 2021
willybaby:
So I went strolling today and I actually stepped on raw gold grin

Actually its a rice mill, with mountains of rice husk, rice bran, rice ash in various states all begging to be used on crops and land/soil enrichment..

If it was you how would you use it ?
Cause I have big plans already.. feel free to share how you've used rice waste to enrich soil

Where exactly is this location, because I want to collect this business from you, because I know what to do with rice waste lipsrsealed angry angry tongue grin
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 12:02am On Dec 03, 2021
jude79:

Where exactly is this location, because I want to collect this business from you, because I know what to do with rice waste lipsrsealed angry angry tongue grin
otukpo rice mill
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by willybaby(m): 5:18pm On Jan 01, 2022
And a new year brings an end to this thread.. Happy new year everyone.
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by northbird: 1:16am On Apr 02, 2022
willybaby:
And a new year brings an end to this thread.. Happy new year everyone.
@ wily baby. Good job
How many bags of maize did you get from your 2ha farm? .

Your plant population? Can you actually quote a right figure?
Re: Winfarms 2021 Wet Season Farming Our Dairy.. by styles2009: 2:10pm On Aug 13, 2022
northbird:

@ wily baby. Good job
How many bags of maize did you get from your 2ha farm? .

Your plant population? Can you actually quote a right figure?

I hope @wily baby is good, months he hasn't replied

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Standard Greenhouse, Nethouse and Solar Dryer Construction / Number Of Time to Feed Catfish In A Day / Is There Any Commercial Goat Farm In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.