Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,979 members, 7,817,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? (18848 Views)

Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria / Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? / Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by laughingas007: 2:53pm On Jun 20, 2021
Or futa?
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Bunsenbun(m): 2:53pm On Jun 20, 2021
Lordkratus:
it is. A very very bad idea , I am a geologist and being in this field for years bro, advice him to write jamb and reapply for petroleum engineering or production engineering. It will serve him better
You definitely don't know what you are talking about.I am a prospective geologist in his finals.I know lots of petroleum Engineering graduates that have nothing doing at hand cause pet engineering as a course is highly streamlined.The reality on ground is that WHAT YOU STUDY IN NAIJA DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE.
NAIJA DON SPOIL PASS THAT LEVEL.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Lordkratus(m): 2:55pm On Jun 20, 2021
Bunsenbun:
You definitely don't know what you are talking about.I am a prospective geologist in his finals.I know lots of petroleum Engineering graduates that have nothing doing at hand cause pet engineering as a course is highly streamlined.The reality on ground is that WHAT YOU STUDY IN NAIJA DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE.
NAIJA DON SPOIL PASS THAT LEVEL.
undergraduate you still are, I am a graduate from uniben for over ten years with a very good result , I think I would be the one to advice you here bro. Just ensure you go for masters and do not end up doing geophysics like the bandwagon. You'll regret it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Bunsenbun(m): 3:00pm On Jun 20, 2021
Lordkratus:
undergraduate you still are, I am a graduate from uniben for over ten years with a very good result , I think I would be the one to advice you here bro. Just ensure you go for masters and do not end up doing geophysics like the bandwagon. You'll regret it
Geophysics? HELL NO.I am thinking of going for an oceanography degree should i want to advance.Sorry for your situation though.
P:S My project is in partnership with a Master Student
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Lordkratus(m): 3:07pm On Jun 20, 2021
Bunsenbun:
Geophysics? HELL NO.I am thinking of going for an oceanography degree should i want to advance.Sorry for your situation though.
P:S My project is in partnership with a Master Student
lol you shouldn't be sorry man, I am doing well outside the geology field. My advise is to the young man. If he seeks job after education and he is relying on geology he will be severely disappointed. That's why I have my earlier advice of petroleum or production engineering. Ps in the oil and productive sector in nigeria if 10 people are wanted tfor employment 8 would be engineers and 2 would be geosciences. So that would give you an idea of job opportunities as a geologist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by okwuruokalisia(m): 3:10pm On Jun 20, 2021
I study Geology and Mining, it's a very good course, you can be self employed with it, doing water bore hole or soil investigation for buildings, bridges, roads etc.
Encourage you guy to read it and pass it very well he will enjoy it,

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Bunsenbun(m): 3:10pm On Jun 20, 2021
Lordkratus:
lol you shouldn't be sorry man, I am doing well outside the geology field. My advise is to the young man. If he seeks job after education and he is relying on geology he will be severely disappointed. That's why I have my earlier advice of petroleum or production engineering. Ps in the oil and productive sector in nigeria if 10 people are wanted tfor employment 8 would be engineers and 2 would be geosciences. So that would give you an idea of job opportunities as a geologist
The sad reality is that the 8 engineers only about 2 would be pet engr and nah still connect.
I will be doing oceanography cause that's what gives me joy.I have something doing outside of geology fetching me decent income.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by abimic(m): 3:10pm On Jun 20, 2021
All of us dey that field, Geology is good, i have friends who read this course as i even read something similar but in Engineering, though na another thing we take dey chop. If you get a company who takes you in, fine, but generally, any course that involves you talking oil and gas is a very good course. I love talking about hydrocarbon exploration, it was lovely i read my course. If no be naija matter.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by emdafe: 3:11pm On Jun 20, 2021
Geology is a great course with good career prospect. In Nigeria jobs have a lot to do with who you know irrespective of the course you study. I studied chemistry but I work with a geological company. This life no balance at all.

gly2ken:
Geology is very good, but there are no much jobs in the oil and gas industry. Also note that our mining industry needs deliverance. Me I kokoma be geologist turn accountant

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by ScotDan: 3:17pm On Jun 20, 2021
Admob090:
my friend who has just been offered admission to study geology is kinda scared whether to accept it or rewrite another jamb considering the nigerian job market after graduation.

Yes, Geology is a good course but he must be very much ready to devote 80% of his time to read and understand if he wants to come out in flying colour. I'm a Geophysicist and still in learning process. Geophysics is also a good course which has both theoretical and practical aspect and as a Geophysicist you can establish on your own after graduation if you have capital to establish yourself but you must be very good in data acquisition, processing, analysis and interpretation.
Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Japhtee(m): 3:27pm On Jun 20, 2021
Start by asking "is going to university a wise decision?" Go and get a good skill and match it with professional certification. You can still go ahead if your aim is to answer a graduate

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by oviexcels(m): 3:30pm On Jun 20, 2021
gly2ken:
Geology is very good, but there are no much jobs in the oil and gas industry. Also note that our mining industry needs deliverance. Me I kokoma be geologist turn accountant

Bros/sis forget oil or mining industry with Geology self employment is very easy you don't need to start waiting for job, ground water is your first gold mine, you are in a country where city water supply is dead. All my friends that study Geology, civil engineering, architecture, building Technology are big boys now.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Sleyanya1(m): 3:30pm On Jun 20, 2021
Looking back one of the helpful things I had to relearn was the fact that No course is actually irrelevant or less viable. Just try to be at global standard (or your best) in what you study and have a Global perspective. There's no actual limitation to your success.
Also embrace ICT as an evolving tool to what you study.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Komu1048(m): 3:34pm On Jun 20, 2021
Frenchkiss564:
Geology is good but geophysics is bettter

My bro that teach me painting studied geophysics, did his NYSC with one oil company but couldn’t get employed because he is not from Bayelsa. Now he is painter, he said only two of.his 55 course mates now practice something near to oil n gas. Work all depends on who u know n if u no sabi person grow your skill so much that they have no choice than to hire you
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by owerrezeorba(m): 3:37pm On Jun 20, 2021
brother geology is a very nice course I studied geology and mining, but you no the situation of our country no jobs,, not even geology other courses u find it difficult to get a job. but with God's grace nothing is impossible, go ahead and accept ur admission. [Did you graduated from ESUT!!!!!?
]
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by yinks77: 3:44pm On Jun 20, 2021
Go ahead and study it, then move to Canada where it is appreciation.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Ujaino: 4:01pm On Jun 20, 2021
my friend who has just been offered admission to study geology is kinda scared whether to accept it or rewrite another jamb considering the nigerian job market after graduation.

Go for it, graduate with GOOD GRADES.
I studied Geology and Mining from Uniport, I used the samples I got from the borehole I drilled as a borehole expert for my final project and paid for all my project with the money I got from the contract. I started handling Boreholes project as boreholes expert when I was doing my IT, since then till now I’m self employed. I drill boreholes, I do Geophysical survey investigation as Geophyscist. I do water treatment all in one field as a Geologist. As a geologist graduate find one field to practice from there you can now expand. If you are a Geophyscist you need equipment to study, I can assist you to get locally made equipments that are up to America standards with low budget and with accurate results like the foreign equipments. That’s the ones I’m using and I’m getting results and money.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Ujaino: 4:12pm On Jun 20, 2021
Go for it, graduate with GOOD GRADES.
I studied Geology and Mining from Uniport, I used the samples I got from the borehole I drilled as a borehole expert for my final project and paid for all my project with the money I got from the contract. I started handling Boreholes project as boreholes expert when I was doing my IT, since then till now I’m self employed. I drill boreholes, I do Geophysical survey investigation as Geophyscist. I do water treatment all in one field as a Geologist. As a geologist graduate find one field to practice from there you can now expand. If you are a Geophyscist you need equipment to study, I can assist you to get locally made equipments that are up to America standards with low budget and with accurate results like the foreign equipments. That’s the ones I’m using and I’m getting results and money.

I got employed in a mining company wayback 2018, I was also self employed, immediately the owner died everything closed down. Then I continued with my own self employment job of boreholes drilling, geophysical survey and water treatment.

Geology pays both as employees or self employed.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 20, 2021
It's an excellent choice but to make good money, leave Nigeria when you're done.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Bestbeelieve: 4:30pm On Jun 20, 2021
depends on what you want to do with it when you graduate ....although no knowledge is lost! it was fun studying it but lot of hardwork!
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Bestbeelieve: 4:31pm On Jun 20, 2021
Yxwqq:
It's an excellent choice but to make good money, leave Nigeria when you're done.

not really? if you have a good plan and a good mining site to invest in trust me big bux! just depends on your passion? else you might just end up being a banker smiley
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by YaQsGaYa(m): 4:34pm On Jun 20, 2021
Geology is a fine course to study, as far as if you want to practice in the field. You must know physical Geology well. Know Geophysics,Geotechnics,hydrology, be focused and know that you are doing n you scale through. I am a Geologist I’m in the field�. I Graduated from Unimaid served in Ekiti in 2018-2019. I came back and started practicing immediately. Today my company is incorporated as limited liability company. By 2021 the company will be three years of age which will be due to bid for any contract government or NGO with any type of bidding I’ll be eligible from borehole Drilling to installation of overhead tanks and so on. Never discourage anyone from what God destined him to be. Even medical students cry too.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Pilopher: 4:39pm On Jun 20, 2021
Euegene100001:
Better late than never
I lover your courage

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by bjayx: 4:44pm On Jun 20, 2021
wunmi590:
sad

Studying geology in Nigeria is just waste of time just like studying Microbiology if you don't have a strong connection...

Geology is one of the department they have saddist lecturer and yet most of their graduate are always lagging behind interms of job

I have alot of friends who studied Geology and are still struggling to get jobs..

Some of them are hotel managers a d some work in the bank, some are still looking for jobs till now...

Let him go ahead and study it and apply for masters abroad if he has the means, nah there him go blow
U av said it all
He who has ears... Let him hear
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by beulah76: 5:12pm On Jun 20, 2021
What is the difference between geology and geophysics?.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Enn214(m): 5:17pm On Jun 20, 2021
Admob090:

My candid advise: it's a very good & interesting course. If you can make even a 2'2, u got to give praise to God because the things you think you knew may become difficult due to workload;
Secondly: You gonna spend a lot in project, much more than those in geography;
Thirdly: You need to have the fighting spirit to neutralize saboteurs especially your lecturers;
*Now, you graduated, don't go looking for 6 figure jobs. Get a small internship job & grow in technical areas...

Geologists ain't organized in Nigeria, compared to surveying & Geoinformatics.
Surveying 3rd class still further into professional surveying. Some universities like unilag still accept them for Msc without PGD...
But Geology is usually like a dead end without a job,because HRs too do not understand the course strength..

So, you must have like a 2'1 to be able to ride smootthly

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Enn214(m): 5:21pm On Jun 20, 2021
beulah76:
What is the difference between geology and geophysics?.

Na language structure cheesy
Geophysicists focus more on the calculation aspects ..
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by ptoall1000: 5:22pm On Jun 20, 2021
Geology ke? In this age?
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by annisy(f): 5:54pm On Jun 20, 2021
It all depends on what you what for yourself.. But the truth remains if you are not from a wealthy family & you don't have Wht we call CONNECT in Nigeria and you want a paid employment after graduating my bro run from that course and look towards anything that has to do with medical.... Unless you and your creator na 5&6
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Euegene100001: 6:11pm On Jun 20, 2021
Thank u
Pilopher:
I lover your courage
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Gfskw: 6:44pm On Jun 20, 2021
No
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Pravedk: 7:07pm On Jun 20, 2021
Let me give u this advice as a geophycist.

If he can let him do it.
But doing masters in Geophysics is going to be a plus.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Become A Registered Nigerian engineer / When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC / Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.