Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,888 members, 7,828,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? (2151 Views)

Seriously, I Don't Know How To Ask This Girl For Sex. / Why Do POS Operators Always Ask This? / Why Do Girls Always Ask This But Guys Don't? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Nlanalyst: 3:32pm On Jun 20, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

The proper way to ask that question is;
"How are John and Mercy?"

The word "are" in that sentence replaces any redundant adjective or weak verb/adverb. In this case it is "doing"; so the "doing" in your question becomes redundant and needless.
The great NwaAmaikpe has spoken.
Thanks boss.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Nlanalyst: 3:32pm On Jun 20, 2021
richboy01:
Are is correct.there are two people being spoken about
Alright, thanks.
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Light78: 3:39pm On Jun 20, 2021
Kylekent59:

You would not answer by saying "John and Mercy is fine," Would you?

The Subject is asking about Two people which makes it Plural.

How are John and Mercy should be the right way of saying it.

Remember, When two things belong to the same group, it should be followed by a singular. Example:

Rice and Beans is my favourite meal.

When two things are being talked, the closest to the subject determines if it should be in plural or singular.
Example: Cat and dogs have been written on the list.
Cats and Dog has been written on the list.
Click on this link and see the rules. You don't need someone to tell you the right answer.

https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/sentences/20-rules-of-subject-verb-agreement.html

Nice one!! I love this. The link is a great help to me.
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Ebuka78: 3:43pm On Jun 20, 2021
Kylekent59:

Remember, When two things belong to the same group, it should be followed by a singular. Example:

When two things are being talked, the closest to the subject determines if it should be in plural or singular.
Click on this link and see the rules. You don't need someone to tell you the right answer.

https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/sentences/20-rules-of-subject-verb-agreement.html

The Kent himself. What is the difference between bring and take? It confuses me alot.
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by federal9: 3:45pm On Jun 20, 2021
Kylekent59:

The Police is here. ( Let assume they were three that came)

Is it correct?
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by kings59: 3:49pm On Jun 20, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

"How are John and Mercy?"

The word "are" in that sentence replaces any redundant adjective or weak verb/adverb. In this case it is "doing"; so the "doing" in your question becomes redundant and needless.

Your quotation mark usage is poor. Do you know what the semi colon is or are used for?
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Kylekent59: 3:51pm On Jun 20, 2021
federal9:

The Police is here. ( Let assume they were three that came)
Is it correct?
The policemen are here.
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Kylekent59: 3:54pm On Jun 20, 2021
Ebuka78:

The Kent himself. What is the difference between bring and take? It confuses me alot.

Bring in a sentence means closer to the speaker.

Eg: Bring this book to my office.

Take means away from the speaker in terms of subject.

Take this CD to James.
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by TakeNose: 5:53pm On Jun 20, 2021
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Regex: 6:43pm On Jun 20, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

'How are John and Mercy?'

The word 'are' in that sentence replaces any redundant adjective or weak verb/adverb. In this case it is 'doing'; so the 'doing' in your question becomes redundant and needless.

So you sabi hook like this?
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by federal9: 7:49pm On Jun 20, 2021
Nlanalyst:

Thanks for the link. It really didn't talk about my question directly tho. Just subject-verb agreement. Like someone up there suggested, what if the closest subject to the verb is to be considered? Won't it be more appropriate to ask 'How is John and Mercy doing?

Why didn't you ask the other guy the same question, I mean the nwamakpe?

He just gave a reply and you hail am. I expected you to do the same as you have asked Kylekent.

You dey hail person way no sabi use punctuation mark correctly.

Una just dey do like slave.

1 Like

Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by sholikay(m): 9:27pm On Jun 20, 2021
Kylekent59:

Rule 6 answered your question. Check it again. Don't rush it this time.

John and Mercy are two different people.

Let us hear from the guy below me.
thanks for the link...I learnt from the site...OP ,the correct answer is "are".. it's two different entity so it will form a plural subject, therefore the verb will be in plural form...
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Seandisputed(m): 10:03pm On Jun 20, 2021
When two or more nouns are joined by ‘and’ to form a subject, the verb is in the plural form
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Nlanalyst: 6:36am On Jun 21, 2021
federal9:

Why didn't ask the other guy this same question, I mean the nwamakpe?

He just gave a reply and you hail am. I expected you to do the same as you have asked Kylekent.

You dey hail person way no sabi use punctuation mark correctly.

Una just dey do like slave.
The basis of your bereavement isn't understood.
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Dzeimzb: 7:40am On Jun 21, 2021
Nlanalyst:
Please help a brother.
I have been trying for a while to figure this out; how to ask after two people at a time.
Do I say for instance; How is John and Mercy doing? or How are John and Mercy doing?

I will appreciate your answers with explanation please.

Simply say how about John and mercy
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 21, 2021
Technically, the statement is supposed to be arranged in this form; How is John, and Mary doing?

Judging by the above format, you'd understand that John and Mary are not combined subjects rather they are individual subjects.
Hence, the Subject and verb agreement in the first sentence is correct.

1 Like

Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Nlanalyst: 9:01am On Jun 21, 2021
SixKeys:
Technically, the statement is supposed to be arranged in this form; How is John, and Mary doing?

Judging by the above format, you'd understand that John and Mary are not combined subjects rather they are individual subjects.
Hence, the Subject and verb agreement in the first sentence is correct.
Lmao!
As far as both subjects are included and they are tied together by "and", the verb shall be in plural form. This is as well wrong.
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by federal9: 12:26pm On Jun 21, 2021
Nlanalyst:
The great NwaAmaikpe has spoken. Thanks boss.

What makes him great?

Someone you don't even know and haven't seen face to face.

Slave!
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by Nlanalyst: 1:03pm On Jun 21, 2021
federal9:

What makes him great?

Someone you don't even know and haven't seen face to face.

Slave!
Locate the nearest mountain to you and jump off it with your entire generation.
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by federal9: 1:21pm On Jun 21, 2021
Nlanalyst:

Locate the nearest mountain to you and jump off it with your entire generation.

No difference between you and agbero.

You are Nwamaikpe's slave.

1 Like

Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by AyarmBoye(m): 1:21pm On Jun 21, 2021
How are John and mercy doing ........ just like “How are the children doing?” John and mercy (plural) ,, children (plural) so you use plural verb !
Re: What's The Correct Way To Ask This Question? by airminem(f): 4:44pm On Jun 29, 2021
Well said o
Akakanfirstclass:
Mtcheeewm...
Go ask Google abeg..
Must you advertise ur illetracy,
Una too like unnecessary attention..
Grow up mbok
mbok that Nlanalyst guy is a failure & a disaster. Imagine his post? Mbok You shouldn't bother bringing him up. He should go back to Basic. I am sorry to say he has 'No IQ' not fit for that his moniker...sad

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Remedy For Dark Knuckles / Which Of These Ladies Will You Choose. / Animals Also Avoid Single Mothers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.