Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,431 members, 7,815,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) (873 Views)

Bride Refuses To Say "For Better Or For Worse" In Marriage Vow Twist (video) / My Fiancé & I Argue A Lot: Will Our Marriage Be A Happy One / PLEASE HELP, Will My Marriage Be A Mistake? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jun 27, 2021
According to the Christian faith, especially in most denominations as we may know, it has been noted that their practice as it regards to the prerequisites of wedding rites and obligations during marital vows connotes lines such as;

"For better or for worse, in sickness and in health, till death do us part"

Well, my take on this subject is an emphatic WTF !.

This is the 21st century and the world is a lot smarter than it was some decades ago. As far as I know, that line of marital vow is out of place and should not be included in any vow of any sort.

○People get married and suffer abuses

○People get married and get death threats

○People get married and do not find happiness

○People get married and get nearly bored to death

○People get married and can no longer tolerate their partner

○People get married and suffer a great ordeal and abuse from an inlaw

○People suffer domestic violence.

○People get married and become lonely

The list is endless, so why tell someone "for better or for worse until death?

I believe people should be encouraged to take a walk away from an unhealthy marriage that ain't working....using legal means for divorce.

What do you think fellow NAIRALANDERS??

Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by lilvicky68(m): 4:56pm On Jun 27, 2021
Instead of dying in marriage..it's better to walk away and ask God for forgiveness..
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 27, 2021
Rocktation

Farano

Dominique

Mynd44

Lalasticlala
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 27, 2021
lilvicky68:
Instead of dying in marriage..it's better to walk away and ask God for forgiveness..
God bless u
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Ahmed0336(m): 5:02pm On Jun 27, 2021
Nah.

If you want to die early, stay in a toxic marriage.

Our prayers is to be happily married.

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by RoyalBlu(f): 5:10pm On Jun 27, 2021
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by DDDEnterprises: 5:29pm On Jun 27, 2021
I'd love to hear from learned Christians in the house. Cos some say Christianity forbids divorce except on the occasion of death.

So what if the union is unbearable for any of the spouse and the other person is still alive... how will they go about it?

I'm asking to learn please.
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Magnoliaa(f): 5:33pm On Jun 27, 2021
Marriage is what you make and think of it. And well, since it's a Christian concept, it's best to see or put that phrase within such context. A Christian marriage does not foster all those toxicity you've mentioned, and to me, that's the deepest declaration of commitment to an other half in a Christ-centered relationship. Relating with each other just as God relates with Christ, and Him us.

Human culture, nature f**ks a lot of things up. Including biblical truths. So, yeah, I see how that line could spell disaster in just any kind of marriage. Otherwise, it's not that deep and caging to me. It's just ... like you declaring that you won't bolt at the slightest irritation or shake. Working together, through the tough times. We'll like people to always have our back in every situation. In health, sickness. And now, I do truly think every counsel God gives us is aimed at getting the maximum benefit out of relating with each other. Every thing about Him is driven towards relationship, and that's what we are meant for as well. Relating with Him and amongst ourselves. Till death do us part. The permanence implied in that as well is charged towards experiencing that deep and fulfilling level of intimacy and satisfaction. The room to explore each other and every area to the fullest. All of these -- provided you pick a suitable you like, love, whatever.

This is just my understanding of it...

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jun 27, 2021
Magnoliaa:
Marriage is what you make and think of it. And well, since it's a Christian concept, it's best to see or put that phrase within such context. A Christian marriage does not foster all those toxicity you've mentioned, and to me, that's the deepest declaration of commitment to an other half in a Christ-centered relationship. Relating with each other just as God relates with Christ, and Him us.

Human culture, nature f**ks a lot of things up. Including biblical truths. So, yeah, I see how that line could spell disaster in just any kind of marriage. Otherwise, it's not that deep and caging to me. It's just ... like you declaring that you won't bolt at the slightest irritation or shake. Working together, through the tough times. We'll like people to always have our back in every situation. In health, sickness. And now, I do truly think every counsel God gives us is aimed at getting the maximum benefit out of relating with each other. Every thing about Him is driven towards relationship, and that's what we are meant for as well. Relating with Him and amongst ourselves. Till death do us part. The permanence implied in that as well is charged towards experiencing that deep and fulfilling level of intimacy and satisfaction. The room to explore each other and every area to the fullest. All of these -- provided you pick a suitable you like, love, whatever.

insightful
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by yanabasee1(m): 6:08pm On Jun 27, 2021
I am totally against divorce.....

I believe that two people coming together doesn't really come that easy as one will have to endure the other and that's what marriage is all about....

But for some people who can't endure or manage pressure...marriage shouldn't be a thing for them...

Know of you can fit into marriage before making plans towards it or not... These days, you can easily get a girl pregnant and take the child and groom the child.... Some women sleep with random men and get pregnant and groom the kid by themselves...

So you chose happiness in whichever form you want to...
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by cooooooks(m): 6:14pm On Jun 27, 2021
Marriage is definitely not a "Christian" concept.

Magnoliaa:
Marriage is what you make and think of it. [s]And well, since it's a Christian concept, it's best to see or put that phrase within such context. [/s]A Christian marriage does not foster all those toxicity you've mentioned, and to me, that's the deepest declaration of commitment to an other half in a Christ-centered relationship. Relating with each other just as God relates with Christ, and Him us.

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by cooooooks(m): 6:18pm On Jun 27, 2021
People need to understand that marriages can end.

People should understand that marriage is a serious issue and should not be entered into because of spurious reasons like boredom or, I'm getting old alone.

Also, people have to enter marriages in the current context. One should not enter a marriage today with expectations straight from the 1800s.

Some non negotiables are mutual respect, mutual interest, finding solutions together.

BadRadio:
According to the Christian faith, especially in most denominations as we may know, it has been noted that their practice as it regards to the prerequisites of wedding rites and obligations during marital vows connotes lines such as;

This is the 21st century and the world is a lot smarter than it was some decades ago. As far as I know, that line of marital vow is out of place and should not be included in any vow of any sort.

I believe people should be encouraged to take a walk away from an unhealthy marriage that ain't working....using legal means for divorce.

Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Savedday: 7:14pm On Jun 27, 2021
9ja girls are out to add more burden to your life instead of softening it.

In mosdii voice: They are all useless..... All of them!

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Magnoliaa(f): 7:15pm On Jun 27, 2021
cooooooks:
Marriage is definitely not a "Christian" concept.

I was talking about the phrase, lol. 'For better or for worse.' I don't think there's an actual, literal line like that in the Bible... But the ideas are certainly found in the Bible. A Christian idea that's likely been westernized or something. So if you're picking anything out of the Bible, it'll be so much of an error interpreting/applying them wayyy out of their biblical backgrounds.
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by lilvicky68(m): 7:35pm On Jun 27, 2021
For better or for worse doesn't entails domestic violence, cheating or using abusive on your partner.. if not that people that go into marriages these days play with it or are not even ready for it...I don't think there will even be for worse self..
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jun 27, 2021
yanabasee1:
I am totally against divorce.....

I believe that two people coming together doesn't really come that easy as one will have to endure the other and that's what marriage is all about....

But for some people who can't endure or manage pressure...marriage shouldn't be a thing for them...

Know of you can fit into marriage before making plans towards it or not... These days, you can easily get a girl pregnant and take the child and groom the child.... Some women sleep with random men and get pregnant and groom the kid by themselves...

So you chose happiness in whichever form you want to...
I dont get your point bro
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 27, 2021
If marriage isn't working anymore, the best option is to japa
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Cholls(m): 8:03pm On Jun 27, 2021
My brother being married does make your life better. It can also make it worse.

3 Likes

Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by frozen70(f): 8:59pm On Jun 27, 2021
BadRadio:

To me, marriage shouldn't be for better for worst

Marriage should be a union where you find happiness and peace

If you think you are not getting it from your partner,
You walk away for peace to reign

If you discover that your partner doesn't want you to leave, you give him or her conditions

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by cooooooks(m): 9:32pm On Jun 27, 2021
Did people stay married 'for better or for worse' before Jesus?
cool

Magnoliaa:

I was talking about the phrase, lol. 'For better or for worse.' I don't think there's an actual, literal line like that in the Bible... But the ideas are certainly found in the Bible. A Christian idea that's likely been westernized or something. So if you're picking anything out of the Bible, it'll be so much of an error interpreting/applying them wayyy out of their biblical backgrounds.
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Magnoliaa(f): 9:41pm On Jun 27, 2021
cooooooks:
Did people stay married 'for better or for worse' before Jesus?
cool

Was "for better or for worse" a thing before Jesus? What's your point?
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by cooooooks(m): 9:45pm On Jun 27, 2021
Is Jesus the start of all things?

Did people exist before Jesus?

Magnoliaa:

Was "for better or for worse" a thing before Jesus? What's your point?
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by yanabasee1(m): 10:04pm On Jun 27, 2021
BadRadio:
I dont get your point bro

Marriage is all about enduring your partner...

For that reason.... People who can endure and tolerate another person are the only ones to discuss marriage....and for those who wouldn't take nonsense from their partner or anyone should stay away from marriage... To avoid divorce at the end...
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jun 28, 2021
BadRadio:
Rocktation

Farano

Dominique

Mynd44

Lalasticlala

I think this is FP worthy... let's learn from others pls.
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by DaudaTheSexyGuy(m): 7:40pm On Jun 28, 2021
Times have changed.

Marriage should no longer be for better or for worse

Why should I tie myself to one toto for the rest of my life? grin
Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 02, 2021
DaudaTheSexyGuy:
Times have changed.

Marriage should no longer be for better or for worse

Why should I tie myself to one toto for the rest of my life? grin
grin

1 Like

Re: Should Marriage Be "For Better Or For Worse"? (opinion) by debbydams(f): 9:10pm On Jul 02, 2021
BadRadio:

in some cases u gotta separate..this life is too short

(1) (Reply)

There’ll Be Consequences If You Approve PIB – Niger Delta Youths Warn Buhari / Woman Narrates How She Found Her Man's Wedding Photos Online After He Promised.. / #bbnaija Angel’s Tweet About Sleeping With A Rich Man Till He Becomes Poor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.