Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. (72116 Views)

What Are Those Courses That Are Still Good To Study In Nigeria? / Top 15 Courses That No Longer Exist In Nigerian Polytechnics / Top 5 Courses That You May Regret Picking In 2018 Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 8:24pm On Jun 30, 2021
eminemkayc:

Not at all young man. Finite element methods is largely a mathematical technique used in obtaining approximate solutions in boundary-based value problems in engineering. It's a mathematical method that discretizes the entity, be it fluid flow, heat flux, flexible footings on spring foundations, thin plates and shells on pressure vessels etc for the sole purpose of obtaining and assembling the governing equations into stiffeness matrices with identifiable boundary conditions. It wasn't copied from Mechanical engineering as you claimed. As mechanical engineering is a sub-set of civil engineering. Mechanical engineering deals with determinate structures/bodies, kinematics and kinetics of rigid bodies, structural dynamics, fluid mechanics (single and multiphase, compressible and incompressible flows), etc All of these are covered in civil engineering as courses in structural engineering, strength of materials, fluid mechanics, theories of deflection, slope, explicit stresses in shells, plates, etc are all taught to civil engineers and are the basis of software such as PLAXIS, ANSYS, STAADpro, ABAQUS, etc Please be aware that I practice both civil, mechanical (statics/ non-rotating), piping and pipeline engineering all at once.

How is Mechanical Engineering a sub set of civil Engineering? Just because Mechanical Engineering is useless in Nigeria doesn’t make it underneath Civil Engineering. Let’s be calming down please.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by gheekhone: 8:33pm On Jun 30, 2021
But that isn't the whole truth, or is it? There are a lot of computer science grads who have no jobs and this is the age of the computer. This is a multifaceted problem which means there are other reasons why.

There are very few jobs, so there's increased competition. Also, our educational system is quite archaic so most grads aren't really prepared for jobs in their fields for this age. These are the reasons I can think of for now. I'm not sure there's a magic bullet course one can study in this Nigeria. What I do know is if you have concrete skills and/or have very good grades, you put yourself in a very good position, either for the few jobs here where knowing someone isn't a requirement or, to japa. Either ways, your diligence maketh room for you. And for the skills part, these aren't always taught in schools. I have read some online forums where guys from technologically advanced nations complain that their CSC curriculum doesn't prepare one for the job market and that it's personal studies. I was shocked.

Nozino:

God bless you. Let him keep deceiving ignorant teens.

2 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by gheekhone: 8:41pm On Jun 30, 2021
You have to go and learn these things outside of the school then, study up and apply what you are studying to what you are learning practically. When you begin to see the results you'll know why it mattered that you studied it in school in the first place.

Nozino:

How?? Is it with the Theory HVAC courses we took? Or the AC$Ref courses? Or Automotive technology courses? Or steam engines? Or ICOs?

How would having a degree in Mechanical Engineering in Nigeria help someone break into the electromechanical,plumbing,structural,design or real estate fields in Nigeria?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gfskw: 8:42pm On Jun 30, 2021
Course doesn’t guarantee success

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Emeraldfynest(m): 9:05pm On Jun 30, 2021
Amen, thanks boss.
gheekhone:
This is the sowing in tears phase. You'll surely reap in joy.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by ModestGal(f): 9:10pm On Jun 30, 2021
chibjohn:

Hey woman! I got no reason to lie so don’t call me a liar.
You mean a whooping 99.9% of people that studied mech Engr in your set has no job? If that’s true, then there is something definitely wrong somewhere. It’s either your school is so corrupt that they cheated their way out and so cannot fit into the real world or they all graduated with poor results. One thing most engineering courses teach students are analytical and maths skills that helps them in excelling in job tests. I know a lot of people that studied Engr but are doing fine in the big four auditing firms, banks and other areas.
Yes,my whole university sef is fake. And all graduants of the course had 3rd class, and all of them cheated to even have the 3rd class.

Someone will see you now and bring thier children for advise, this is how you will lead them astray. You are just like those departmental lecturers that will say your course is the best course, without you, humanity cannot survive,lol.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by chibjohn(m): 9:35pm On Jun 30, 2021
Abedfff14:
with physics, u can travel abroad and be relevant over there, then from there further in any course which interest you, somebody gave an example of after studying physics, then advance degree in economics, engineering will be waiting for you too.
That means the person is useless if he/she decides to stay in Nigeria. How dare you compare it with civil and mechanical engineering?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by uchaymart(m): 10:05pm On Jun 30, 2021
Psalmspsalms:

Seriously, I can't afford it but the Title of Op's write up made me include piloting since its not included among his courses

Oh OK...

But the courses he mentioned are not worth wasting time on...

Some one studying crop science, soil science, community and regional development, office technology...what's the plan actually...
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Jokerman(m): 10:45pm On Jun 30, 2021
eminemkayc:

Not at all young man. Finite element methods is largely a mathematical technique used in obtaining approximate solutions in boundary-based value problems in engineering. It's a mathematical method that discretizes the entity, be it fluid flow, heat flux, flexible footings on spring foundations, thin plates and shells on pressure vessels etc for the sole purpose of obtaining and assembling the governing equations into stiffeness matrices with identifiable boundary conditions. It wasn't copied from Mechanical engineering as you claimed. As mechanical engineering is a sub-set of civil engineering. Mechanical engineering deals with determinate structures/bodies, kinematics and kinetics of rigid bodies, structural dynamics, fluid mechanics (single and multiphase, compressible and incompressible flows), etc All of these are covered in civil engineering as courses in structural engineering, strength of materials, fluid mechanics, theories of deflection, slope, explicit stresses in shells, plates, etc are all taught to civil engineers and are the basis of software such as PLAXIS, ANSYS, STAADpro, ABAQUS, etc Please be aware that I practice both civil, mechanical (statics/ non-rotating), piping and pipeline engineering all at once.

Yes I know FEA is a Mathematical technique employed by almost all scope of engineering, infact I learnt its solution from a mathematician first from FVM, however this is not the contention.

Hope you know a mechanical engineer can do almost everything a civil engineer can do (both theoretical and practical), but a civil engineer can do all a mechanical can cheesy

See you for instance, you had to join mechanical to your civil I.e a mechanical engineer can choose from various scopes in it I e Automobile, manufacturing, electromechanical etc, but Civil ??

However I'm glad I have learnt something from you
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Jokerman(m): 10:47pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

How?? Is it with the Theory HVAC courses we took? Or the AC$Ref courses? Or Automotive technology courses? Or steam engines? Or ICOs?

How would having a degree in Mechanical Engineering in Nigeria help someone break into the electromechanical,plumbing,structural,design or real estate fields in Nigeria?

Internship (paid or pro bono)grin
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 10:51pm On Jun 30, 2021
Jokerman:

Internship (paid or pro bono)grin

With hungry belle? It seems you don’t understand the OP. No one is saying the courses mentioned aren’t good, we are simply saying that it is difficult to break even in these fields especially for those of us from humble backgrounds trying to escape poverty.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 10:54pm On Jun 30, 2021
gheekhone:

You have to go and learn these things outside of the school then, study up and apply what you are studying to what you are learning practically. When you begin to see the results you'll know why it mattered that you studied it in school in the first place.

At last, you’ve proven the OP correct, for someone trying to escape poverty, we don’t have the time or financial commitment to learn those skills. We want what will put food on our table when we graduate.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 10:58pm On Jun 30, 2021
ModestGal:

Yes,my whole university sef is fake. And all graduants of the course had 3rd class, and all of them cheated to even have the 3rd class.

Someone will see you now and bring thier children for advise, this is how you will lead them astray. You are just like those departmental lecturers that will say your course is the best course, without you, humanity cannot survive,lol.

Those lecturer that will tell you that the entire Human race depend on your course of study and that Graduates working in the field are earning 60M per annual with company cars and medical and dental insurance. Clowns!!!!

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by ModestGal(f): 11:09pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:
[/b]

Those lecturer that will tell you that the entire Human race depend on your course of study and that Graduates working in the field are earning 60M per annual with company cars and medical and dental insurance. Clowns!!!!
Lol, they are all jokers. I wish I was this wise when I started university, God knows I would have dropped out. But then,I was foolish to believe them, sometimes,I will say wow, smile to myself, that I'm so lucky to be doing a multi-million course saving humanity.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gerrard59(m): 11:32pm On Jun 30, 2021
prosperioh:
I see u mentioned psychology, how come

Four years, less expensive and you would mostly practice in same non-legal fields as lawyers who cannot practice law. Think about it, why study Law to practice it in a lawless place populated by poor people who would prefer non-civil means of solving disputes?

Again, unless the person is very intelligent and has strong financial backing, it is pointless studying and aiming to practice Law in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 11:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
ModestGal:

Lol, they are all jokers. I wish I was this wise when I started university, God knows I would have dropped out. But then,I was foolish to believe them, sometimes,I will say wow, smile to myself, that I'm so lucky to be doing a multi-million course saving humanity.

I understand that feeling. Thank God sha. We are graduates that our parents wanted us to be.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by pegix(m): 3:03am On Jul 01, 2021
Karleb:

You people don't understand the essence of this thread.

For one, let me ask, when did you graduate? How many of your colleagues are now mechanical engineering practitioners?

Of course, a fellow with a P. hD can get a scholarship, but what are the chances of a fellow with B. Sc?

On what do you survive before you even think of going for M. Sc especially when you are from a poor home?

Can this B. Sc fetch you a job with decent pay in your career path in Enugu, Kano or Akure?

Even if you got lucky, how about your colleagues who are over 200 in numbers? How about the ones that graduated before or after you?

While in other career path, people are getting more than enough to do with decent compensation.

That is the essence of the thread.
state the other career path let know
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Etinosa1234: 8:19am On Jul 01, 2021
Nobody even defend law

5 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by udemzeus(m): 8:30am On Jul 01, 2021
You see, this is more reason why blacks are fools and will never compete globally.

Our reasoning faculty is very weak that we hardly ever think.

All these are valid points but if you wannt the black race to compete in the global world we need to think years ahead of us.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by LMDyaya(m): 10:22am On Jul 01, 2021
Judolisco:
medical lab is okay... Public health science on bachelor's level is bullcrap

why is it bullcrap?

can you elaborate?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by LMDyaya(m): 10:26am On Jul 01, 2021
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Judolisco(m): 10:54am On Jul 01, 2021
LMDyaya:

why is it bullcrap?

can you elaborate?
unless u get to work with NGO's... Medical doctors with msc in public health they call it mph.. Has a much better chance than landing a job meant for you... Also speaking from experience most of my colleagues that did public health back then in d University most of them are now doin something else that's not in line with d profession... Like I said in Nigeria medical lab is better..
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nobody: 11:01am On Jul 01, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Medicine don cast for Naija big time o. They have their own threads too where they cry. The financially bouyant ones are writing Plab to run. Theres no even space to write Plab again. Its overbooked. You need to go to Ghana to write. As for Nursing, max salary nurses are paid is 30k. You are a fresher, so your blood dey hot. I used to be like you too. When you graduate you will see everything I am saying here.
What about pharmacy?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by LMDyaya(m): 11:43am On Jul 01, 2021
Judolisco:
unless u get to work with NGO's... Medical doctors with msc in public health they call it mph.. Has a much better chance than landing a job meant for you... Also speaking from experience most of my colleagues that did public health back then in d University most of them are now doin something else that's not in line with d profession... Like I said in Nigeria medical lab is better..

There are suggestions that you can work in a hospital with public health technology degree, or even run a hospital (with masters), what is the reality about this?

do they only work with the NGOs, not even in a lab?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Judolisco(m): 12:03pm On Jul 01, 2021
LMDyaya:

There are suggestions that you can work in a hospital with public health technology degree, or even run a hospital (with masters), what is the reality about this?

do they only work with the NGOs, not even in a lab?
Public health science deals mainly with preventive medicine and population studies, like if there is an outbreak of diseases now in a community the job of the public health officer will be to study the incidence, distribution and prevention of the disease to prevent further occurrences it's called epidemiology... So d job of a public health scientist or technologist in d hospital will be to collect data or work wit the person in charge of immunization... They don't have any function in the lab... U can open a hospital but you have to employ license medical professionals to work for you..
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by LMDyaya(m): 12:09pm On Jul 01, 2021
Judolisco:
Public health science deals mainly with preventive medicine and population studies, like if there is an outbreak of diseases now in a community the job of the public health officer will be to study the incidence, distribution and prevention of the disease to prevent further occurrences it's called epidemiology... So d job of a public health scientist or technologist in d hospital will be to collect data or work wit the person in charge of immunization... They don't have any function in the lab... U can open a hospital but you have to employ license medical professionals to work for you..

Thanks for the input, i really appreciate
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Judolisco(m): 12:13pm On Jul 01, 2021
LMDyaya:

Thanks for the input, i really appreciate

uwc
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by victons(m): 12:45pm On Jul 01, 2021
What's your reason?
High cost of education?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by gheekhone: 1:08pm On Jul 01, 2021
One can learn those skills while in school and for some of them, one doesn't need to pay much or pay at all. Just a willingness to apprentice with someone practicing.

Nozino:

At last, you’ve proven the OP correct, for someone trying to escape poverty, we don’t have the time or financial commitment to learn those skills. We want what will put food on our table when we graduate.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 1:18pm On Jul 01, 2021
gheekhone:
One can learn those skills while in school and for some of them, one doesn't need to pay much or pay at all. Just a willingness to apprentice with someone practicing.

Then you don’t know how time consuming Mechanical Engineering is. How can one combine this with the rigorous academic requirements and still graduate well?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by gheekhone: 1:38pm On Jul 01, 2021
There's a 6months Industrial Training period after the 1st semester of 400 level someone who is serious about their future can use to learn valuable skills. Most usually waste it chasing “big” companies.

Also, one can learn a skill part-time. Weekends, holidays, strikes etc. A poor student should be very mindful of how they use their time.

Nozino:

Then you don’t know how time consuming Mechanical Engineering is. How can combine this with the rigorous academic requirements and still graduate well?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 1:48pm On Jul 01, 2021
gheekhone:

There's a 6months Industrial Training period after the 1st semester of 400 level someone who is serious about their future can use to learn valuable skills. Most usually waste it chasing “big” companies.

Also, one can learn a skill part-time. Weekends, holidays, strikes etc. A poor student should be very mindful of how they use their time.

For those of us from poor homes, we are more concerned with getting money for our immediate needs, supporting family and saving for the next semester(s).

Weekends? Holidays? I don’t know about others but I was hustling for money to satisfy my immediate needs. Maybe you had people taking care of your needs and paying your bills.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Drone Shot Of Adeleke University At Night And In The Day Time (photos) / I Finally Received My 10,000 Grant From Federal Government / Isn't This Too Much For A Nursery 1 Pupil?(picture Attached)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.