Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,965 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. (72015 Views)

What Are Those Courses That Are Still Good To Study In Nigeria? / Top 15 Courses That No Longer Exist In Nigerian Polytechnics / Top 5 Courses That You May Regret Picking In 2018 Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by chibjohn(m): 1:39pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

This looks like a personal attack. My personality? Excuse you! How many of your coursemates are in the field? How much do you earn? I hope you encourage all your kids to study Mechanical Engineering.
Or maybe the grade you graduated with. I am in touch with most of my classmates. While they are not all practicing, most are.
I will not disclose my salary but I earn a decent amount according to Nigerian standard.
My kids can study whatever they want.
My younger bro is studying EEE which is his choice.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 1:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

You are very silly and not as smart as you think. You also write terribly. Keep letting your lecturers sweet talk.

About the guy who went to the US on a fully funded Ph.D program, understand that anyone who studied any course can achieve that. Most Ph.D programs in the US are fully funded. But have you wonder why most people don’t go that route? Money!

GRE cost $226
Toelf cost around $196
WES cost more than N120k
Collecting transcripts cost money
Application cost money
Sending transcripts cost money
Paying sevis cost money
Visa application cost money
Even with a fully funded Ph.D program,
Thank God u call me silly but, you are.
if this all you know about scholarship, then u r of whole men most disillusioned.
all the cost you estimated can be paid for by bodies like educationusa or ischolarinitiative or michael taiwo scholaship.
google search dem pls.
am tired of typing.
pls make google ur friend.
pls again, what course do you study?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by yusman14(m): 1:41pm On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

now, for those with japa mentality, listen!
your first engr degree doesn't matter!
cos with any engr course, you can venture into ANY I.T course at msc level!
all that matters is your cgpa!
i have a verifiable fact of a guy who got a fully funded phd scholarship to study informatics in u.s. he has is bsc degree in anatomy at oou.
anatomy to I.T?
in as much you study S.T.E.M courses, your first degree doesn't matter alot when applying for a p.graduate courses, esp in I.T(the hotcake).
if you are studying pet engr, mat engr, agric engr. dnt be dejected, you have alot of opportunities at P.G level.
jst get good grade, and prepare to japa.
Fantastic!!
Your response and contributions have been top notch on this thread sir..you are really enlightened..
I am a 300L mats engr student of OAU on a good CGPA...I am into programming already.... targeting 2nd degree ASAP
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by yusman14(m): 1:43pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

Metallurgical and Materials Engineering is like a branch of Mechanical Engineering. I would not encourage anyone to study any of the course.
And there are a lot of graduates of this course doing extremely well...I am into it for a reason actually.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Fuckyoumod: 1:46pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
A lot of Nigerian students especially those from high school still hold some archaic mentality that some courses are a sure way out of poverty. The situation of Nigeria and the future should make people dead that mentality o. If you arent from a rich family or well connected you should avoid studying some courses in Nigeria.

The following should be avoided except you are rich or well connected.

Medicine: This used to be a very sure way out of poverty. Just like 14 years back, even NYSC doctors were getting six figures. It was so good that even after NYSC and Housemanship, some doctors had bought nice cars or even built houses. The situation is totally different today. To get housemanship as a doctor na die and even when you get it you will be paid peanuts. To migrate out of the country as a doctor requires serious money which if you arent from a privileged home might be very difficult to meet. To also further as a doctor in Nigeria is very difficult as a lot of residency programs are based on who you know. Its no more about merit just as it used to be before yet every year thousands of teenagers kill themselves trying to get into medicine when they can get into other programs which are much more lucrative.

All Engineering Courses except Electrical/Computer engineering: Contrary to what a lot of people think, engineering a lot of branches of engineering are not as lucrative as people think they are. I was checking unilag's cut off the other day for my cousins and was shocked to find out that petroleum engineering has the highest cut-off point in the engineering department. That is a program that should be scrapped. Its glory days are over and never going to come back and its so restrictive yet a whole lot of brilliant people think killing themselves to study this is actually a good idea. Electrical and computer engineering are the only courses I can really advise anyone to go for as they are very much relevant in the ICT sector. Embedded systems, computer hardware, robotics alongside a host of others are mostly offshoots of these fields.
Lucrative alternatives to engineering that arent as competitive are computer science, mathematics and physics. Someone intending to study civil engineering or mechanical engineering in Nigeria should go for physics. There's practically no place a mechanical or civil engineer can work in this world that someone with a degree in physics cant work.

Law: I wont say much here but if you love poverty, this is an amazing course to study. If you are from arts class, instead of law go for a degree in English. At least with a TEFL certificate and an English degree you can get good jobs teaching English in asia and latin america.

Another thing that might help is that before you study a course, go on linkedin. Create a profile, go to linkedin jobs and check specifically how many jobs exist for your course in Nigeria, Africa and globally.

Nigeria isnt funny anymore to waste time on nonsense and funny as it is, Nigeria of today is a paradise compared to the Nigeria coming so folks should help themselves.
truly ignorance is a disease!
You know nothing about engineering!
And what you don't know is bigger than you.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 1:47pm On Jun 30, 2021
yusman14:
And there are a lot of graduates of this course doing extremely well...I am into it for a reason actually.

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 1:48pm On Jun 30, 2021
yusman14:

I never said otherwise but the ratio of practicing Met and Materials Engineers that are doing well verses those that aren’t doing well is 1:50
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 1:50pm On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

Thank God u call me silly but, you are.
if this all you know about scholarship, then u r of whole men most disillusioned.
all the cost you estimated can be paid for by bodies like educationusa or ischolarinitiative or michael taiwo scholaship.
google search dem pls.
am tired of typing.
pls make google ur friend.
pls again, what course do you study?

Lol. So these bodies can shoulder all the cost for everyone? Interesting!
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 1:53pm On Jun 30, 2021
chibjohn:

Or maybe the grade you graduated with. I am in touch with most of my classmates. While they are not all practicing, most are.
I will not disclose my salary but I earn a decent amount according to Nigerian standard.
My kids can study whatever they want.
My younger bro is studying EEE which is his choice.

I graduated with a decent cgpa.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by yusman14(m): 1:55pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

I never said otherwise but the ratio of practicing Met and Materials Engineers that are doing well verses those that aren’t doing well is 1:50
Hmmm..only elect stand out in this country....the remaining branches of engineering need grace...but in overseas,mat engr graduates are always in demand..
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 1:57pm On Jun 30, 2021
yusman14:
Hmmm..only elect stand out in this country....the remaining branches of engineering need grace...but in overseas,mat engr graduates are always in demand..

Exactly. They should sell off this country.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Hassanmaye(m): 2:01pm On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

haha!
you didn't study engr course?
that says it all.
and by the way investment banks are opened to all courses, get that fact!
even in the big 4, any course can apply and work.
pls what's the difference btw 4yr and 5yr? as in what makes 5yrs useless compared to 4yrs? cos 5yrs is 10times greater than 4 yrs abi?
hello, i heard it's easy to japa for the poor dude. can you elaborate the process involved?

if it's that easy, everyone would have japa naw.

you said medicine has more prospect abroad? pls explain how.

apart from uk, pls cn u explain how a doctor can migrate easily to u.s, germany, canada?
the problem i have with you is that you make things easier than they are(disillusioned). you don't speak with fact.
for every words i say or counter, i have an obtainable fact to back it up.
True sir absolutely he is making leaving Nigeria so easy, I have a good result I applied for scholarship tire,
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 2:03pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

Lol. So these bodies can shoulder all the cost for everyone? Interesting!
Ok, man calm down.
i said sth, to easily japa in engr, get good grade!
if you have good grade, you will definitely knw the next step. am tired of repeating myself!
once again, go learn the perato 80/20 rule and understand the dynamics of life.
don't expect success to be distributed to the 100% mass. work ur way up to d top 20%. that's how it works.
infact i've studied you. you are jst only on d fence. i dnt even knw ur stance in dis course of arguement. u only attack everyone.
by d way wat course do u study?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Hassanmaye(m): 2:04pm On Jun 30, 2021
PERSONALGUY1:
Funny enough u didn't put the most expensive... ARCHITECTURE
Don't tell me agriculture is not lucrative
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by ocelot2006(m): 2:07pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Civil engineering what? That's like the most useless engineering course. That and petroleum engineering I don't know which is more useless.

One of the MOST USEFUL engineering course in Nigeria, even today, is Civil Engineering. Have we stopped building and maintaining roads, bridges, housing, water treatment systems, large facilities/office spaces, schools, etc? Even facilities like tank farms, FPSOs, etc require Structural Engineers. Civil Engineering is one of those few Engineering courses that empowers graduates to stand on their own. Personally, with hindsight now I probably would've chosen Civil Engineering or Architecture. I encourage anyone interested in the course to read it.

4 Likes

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 2:09pm On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

Ok, man calm down.
i said sth, to easily japa in engr, get go grade!
if you have good grade, you will definitely knw the next step. am tired of repeating myself!
once again, go learn the perato 80/20 rule and understand the dynamics of life.
don't expect success to be distributed to the 100% mass. work ur way up to d top 20%. that's how it works.
infact i've studied you. you are jst only on d fence. i dnt even knw ur stance in dis course of arguement. u only attack everyone.
by d way wat course do u study?

You are just a silly nuisance. Everything cost money especially traveling aboard. In a country where several first class graduate are unemployed and the vast majority of graduate are earning below minimum wage, how do you expect this set of people to afford these expenses while also paying for their daily needs, accommodation etc? Grow up. Papa and Mama won’t provide forever.

FYI, if you write TOEFL, you’d fail woefully ��. Don’t quote me again.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 2:16pm On Jun 30, 2021
Hassanmaye:

True sir absolutely he is making leaving Nigeria so easy, I have a good result I applied for scholarship tire,

Are you referring to me? How?

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Hassanmaye(m): 2:18pm On Jun 30, 2021
CareerMom:
I can't stop laughing @if you love poverty, study law. Hahahaha, na wa o.
Why are you laughing, do you believe him
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 2:19pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

You are just a silly nuisance. Everything cost money especially traveling aboard. In a country where several first class graduate
bro calm down. i know that you are pained.
now, you no more attack the engineers but the first class.
to be born poor is not the problem, bt to develop poverty mentality is the issue. pele...
i can never stoop so low to reply ur insult.
i'm of a higher intelligence.
you got too angry cos you are too emotional.
pls try and study some psychology to get ur mind renewed.
pls and pls, calm down.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Christistruth00: 2:24pm On Jun 30, 2021
Agadinaagwuofe:

It is very very sad that most Nigerians are sooo short sighted that they can't see beyond their nose, It took me years to know that agriculture is goldmine after wasting a lot of funds seeking for investment that will be fruitful. Most big company owners in Nigeria is into agriculture, most retired military men with so much funds go into agriculture, ministers, doctors, politicians etc let me shock you after most politicians stole billions they always run into agriculture. I remember OBJ telling press that he is a farmer that is even when he is president, even biafra war was lost on the premise of food (agriculture) many people that have made money always find way to go into agriculture.

I reiterate Nigeria is a failed state no course in Nigeria will guarantee anyone job after graduation so my best advice to Nigerian students is take a plot of land in your village, go to school and study agriculture (to ensure literacy) then come out and put little effort on the land and see you excel. No matter how bad the economy and leadership in this country EVERYBODY must chop, if e like make Buhari dey 100 years people will chop, if e like make biafra come people will chop, if e like make Oduduwa republic no come people go chop. So what am I saying in essence, for a developing country like Nigeria the most important thing for the masses and the common man is FOOD. Let more student invest their energy there we have an overblowing population so no matter the amount of people on that sector it will always be lucrative.

If there is anything I know about Nigeria is most people here don't think, and many times people follow crowd, that's why many people pursue one sector that is developed without thinking outside the box. I made that mistake and I won't allow my kids to do that unless I gave birth abroad I will advise my kids to study agriculture and extensively go practically into it

The Chinese have a Saying

“ One Female Pig is enough to take a Man out of Poverty “
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Topleague(m): 2:29pm On Jun 30, 2021
good
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Sheriman(m): 2:37pm On Jun 30, 2021
Ishilovebestie:
Hmmm na wa oh

Nairalanders please save my life,I have hungry for some days now.

1k will be enough for me now....

311 9656 085

First ban,k.
You beta go find work do this online begging can't pay you
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Hassanmaye(m): 2:37pm On Jun 30, 2021
ocelot2006:
I respectfully disagree with the OP...at least to some extent. I'll advise anyone, irrespective of background, to study a professional course that will enable them stand on their own when the jobs are not there. In my opinion, Medicine & Surgery, Pharmacy, Accountancy, Engineering, Computer Science, and Law are very good choices. I'll even go on to add the Agricultural Sciences.

With respect to the OP's point on Engineering, he's absolutely right though about Electrical & Electronics + Computer Engineering. Information Tech and Communication is key now. Equally throw in IoT, Electric Vehicles, Autonomous systems, Artificial Intelligence, SMART grids and cities. Add to that microelectronics is making a MAJOR come back with the present shortage of chips globally and the ongoing battle for supremacy between east and west. EE engineering, Compt Engineering, and COMPUTER SCIENCE will play major roles now and into the future. As for Petroleum Engineering, frankly I think the course is a dead one, especially when countries are now dumping fossile fuel for other forms of energy (solar, geothermal, wind, etc). You only have to look at the trend now globally with IOCs selling off their assets, plus the job cuts. But I respectfully disagree on Civil and Mechanical Engineering as they both remain OVER-RELEVANT, especially with the dearth of infrastructure in the country (roads, ports, airports, bridges, power dams, housing, etc), and the urgent need to provide these. I encourage young ones to delve into these courses, irrespective of their economic backgrounds as they will definitely pay off. Just avoid courses like Chemical Engineering, Textile, Materials and Metallurgical, or any course that restricts you.
Is chemical engineering difficult to get a job
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by ImpregnaTor(m): 2:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Medicine don cast for Naija big time o. They have their own threads too where they cry. The financially bouyant ones are writing Plab to run. Theres no even space to write Plab again. Its overbooked. You need to go to Ghana to write. As for Nursing, max salary nurses are paid is 30k. You are a fresher, so your blood dey hot. I used to be like you too. When you graduate you will see everything I am saying here.
Pls o, what about studying medical laboratory science... what would u advise someone concerning it?
I'm scared already.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by AiSamuel(m): 2:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

I’d prefer Accountancy, Economics or Economics and statistics. That’s if you are grounded in calculations.
Let me not exaggerate, Mathematics is my major problem that was why i was thinking if i can switch for English though i have no idea on Literature.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 2:41pm On Jun 30, 2021
AiSamuel:
Let me not exaggerate, Mathematics is my major problem that was why i was thinking if i can switch for English though i have no idea on Literature.

Stick to what you like and graduate with a very good result.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Laideabdulahi: 2:43pm On Jun 30, 2021
ClixMaster:
Whatever you do, I take God beg you, AVOID Mass communication like a plague. E get why grin

Oga stop this kind of advice.
Recently mass comm has stated getting jobs or roles like communication specialist
Communication manager
Comm/media manager, etc.

Calm down before You throw advice
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Hassanmaye(m): 2:46pm On Jun 30, 2021
Komu1048:

Be deceiving yourself. If you are not from a wealthy family Agriculture should be the number one course you should avoid. Infact it’s better to sleep throughout the five years than to go ahead with it. Many job portals don’t even add agriculture to the list of degrees.
Forget the media propaganda if you are not rich you can’t even survive in the agro sector. You keep investing and expecting a return that is 60-40 bound to fail. What are you going to survive on during this waiting period.
Las las you will either end up as agric teacher(and earn 15k per month, where maths teacher are earning over 40k)cox any dumb can teach agric at sec sch level or learn trade.

Even agric sector will rather employ engineer, accountant, marketers than hire a person with agric degree.
Hahha any dump person can teach agric science nawaoo
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by AiSamuel(m): 2:47pm On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:

Go for English and if possible, combine Chinese Mandarin with it. You don't need to study banking and finance to work in the financial sector. If you know basic mathematics, you can ace aptitude tests of financial services companies and get in regardless of your first degree being in English. From there, certifications matter afterwards not your first degree.
Sorry to be too inquisitive, is there any possibility to go for English when i don't have any idea on Literature?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Flexingbaba(m): 3:03pm On Jun 30, 2021
Do we have it in Nigeria? If it merges electrical and computer then all good but mechanical alone as a course of study is useless.[/quote]

Mechanical has never be a useless course people always find it hard to pursue reality, how can you be in a field that is practical oriented and all you can offer is only theory and English, the fundamental is not there and you want to be successful with it
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Ellasure: 3:05pm On Jun 30, 2021
Your post is very misleading and lack depth of knowledge of poverty you seek to address. The poor need excellent knowledge of life and any of the sciences to be able to stand well in life.

Immediate pecuniary gains in these your selected courses look small but long term practices of the subjects bring joy and money as someone grows in the knowledge gained.

Nigerian youths please don't be discouraged by lack of depth writers.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by GiZcorp: 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2021
How about Agricultural/Environmental Engineering?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why / I Finally Received My 10,000 Grant From Federal Government / Drone Shot Of Adeleke University At Night And In The Day Time (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.