Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,107 members, 7,814,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. (72000 Views)

What Are Those Courses That Are Still Good To Study In Nigeria? / Top 15 Courses That No Longer Exist In Nigerian Polytechnics / Top 5 Courses That You May Regret Picking In 2018 Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Abedfff14: 11:42am On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:

The essence of the thread is to let aspiring students know that it is way better studying Physics rather than wait endlessly for engineering courses which are five years (ASUU+ internal issues). Rather than waste so much time, do something which has a shorter time-frame and leave the system. Those (sub)courses can be done at Master level outside Nigeria.
let me add my experience and versatility on this, studying physics at undergrad would be good for a start, then later on you can do post graduate and do masters in your whatever engineering course you want, anyway just have an interwovened plan than will work for you irrespective of the present and future circumstances, THE FUTURE IS SCIENCE +ENGINEERING+ICT. know this and know good. see u at the top.. we MOVE....
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Kayjoshy: 11:47am On Jun 30, 2021
[quote author=tensazangetsu20 post=103220872]
I studied Mining Engineering Techology. Whatsup? Humbly, can we chat on whatsapp?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Decency2020(f): 11:50am On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
A lot of Nigerian students especially those from high school still hold some archaic mentality that some courses are a sure way out of poverty. The situation of Nigeria and the future should make people dead that mentality o. If you arent from a rich family or well connected you should avoid studying some courses in Nigeria.

The following should be avoided except you are rich or well connected.

Medicine: This used to be a very sure way out of poverty. Just like 14 years back, even NYSC doctors were getting six figures. It was so good that even after NYSC and Housemanship, some doctors had bought nice cars or even built houses. The situation is totally different today. To get housemanship as a doctor na die and even when you get it you will be paid peanuts. To migrate out of the country as a doctor requires serious money which if you arent from a privileged home might be very difficult to meet. To also further as a doctor in Nigeria is very difficult as a lot of residency programs are based on who you know. Its no more about merit just as it used to be before yet every year thousands of teenagers kill themselves trying to get into medicine when they can get into other programs which are much more lucrative.

All Engineering Courses except Electrical/Computer engineering: Contrary to what a lot of people think, engineering a lot of branches of engineering are not as lucrative as people think they are. I was checking unilag's cut off the other day for my cousins and was shocked to find out that petroleum engineering has the highest cut-off point in the engineering department. That is a program that should be scrapped. Its glory days are over and never going to come back and its so restrictive yet a whole lot of brilliant people think killing themselves to study this is actually a good idea. Electrical and computer engineering are the only courses I can really advise anyone to go for as they are very much relevant in the ICT sector. Embedded systems, computer hardware, robotics alongside a host of others are mostly offshoots of these fields.
Lucrative alternatives to engineering that arent as competitive are computer science, mathematics and physics. Someone intending to study civil engineering or mechanical engineering in Nigeria should go for physics. There's practically no place a mechanical or civil engineer can work in this world that someone with a degree in physics cant work.

Law: I wont say much here but if you love poverty, this is an amazing course to study. If you are from arts class, instead of law go for a degree in English. At least with a TEFL certificate and an English degree you can get good jobs teaching English in asia and latin america.

Another thing that might help is that before you study a course, go on linkedin. Create a profile, go to linkedin jobs and check specifically how many jobs exist for your course in Nigeria, Africa and globally.

Nigeria isnt funny anymore to waste time on nonsense and funny as it is, Nigeria of today is a paradise compared to the Nigeria coming so folks should help themselves.

OP What of computer science o?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by jaxxy(m): 11:53am On Jun 30, 2021
Incomplete assessment bt partially correct.

Nice and interesting topic.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by KingDash: 11:56am On Jun 30, 2021
ClixMaster:
Whatever you do, AVOID Mass communication like a plague. E get why grin
you wey no study mass comm which kind work you dey do?!
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Topmaike007(m): 11:57am On Jun 30, 2021
Christistruth00:

Agriculture is the new Goldmine although it has often been how God lifted Nations out of Poverty including America and UK there was always an Agricultural Revolution before an Industrial one and that is why some misled Cattle Hearders think they can hold Nigeria by the Jugular using their Ancient outdated Livestock rearing method

They are in for a Shock the South can breed bigger and better Livestock with better Production of Milk once we get the right type of Agricultural Revolution

Ostrich and Antelope Production can also be big

Antelope Milk can last for 9 months without refrigeration and without Spoiling
your point valid I swear

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by seyz91(m): 12:03pm On Jun 30, 2021
cheesy
ClixMaster:
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Skye123: 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2021
E joor, what about we that are studying microbiology
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by eminemkayc: 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2021
As a professional practicing engineer with close to two decades of practical engineering experience in the design of deep water structures, floating production systems, large and small displacement piles, Finite element design of foundations, design of numerous medium to high rise structures, culverts, bridges, etcetera, I can confidently inform whoever created this topic of partly misinforming the public in relation to the inexplicable comparison of Civil engineering, as a professional course, to physics. Firstly, Civil engineering, is the mother of all major engineering courses (Mechanical, Chemical, etc) and is subdivided into the following specialties;
1. Transportation engineering
2. Structural engineering
3. Water resources and environmental engineering
4. Civil engineering materials
5. Geotechnical engineering

Each of these sub-divisions have extensive applications in various industries and a thoroughbred Civil engineer who, for e.g, is grounded in structural engineering designs can, with time, easily work for himself, as a consultant in the comfort of his home, just by having core understanding of the theory of structures , reinforced concrete designs(Euro, BS codes), foundation designs (deep, shallow foundations), design of steel structures (such as telecommunication towers, shelters, crude/hydrocarbon storage tanks, gantry cranes, etc. A graduate civil engineer who is vast with the use of one, more, or a combination of tools such as SACS , ETAB, STAADpro, AUTOCAD, CIVIL 3D,etcetera can easily be employed in the oil industry, infrastructure industry, geotech companies, construction companies that handle EPCI projects, Govt parastatals (ministry of works, material testing parastatals, etc), or even just work for himself by attaching to a professional architect who gets building projects and handles, in the first instance, structural details of building projects, while learning the structural designs proper. The opportunities is boundless. But this depends on the competence of the civil engineer. A sound, diligent and hardworking Civil engineer can NEVER go hungry.
Secondly, a physicist can never perform the functions of a civil engineer as he is neither trained nor understands concepts such as Terzaghi's theory of foundation soil bearing capacities, Hansen's or Vesic's modification to Terzaghi's theories for inclined or eccentrically loaded foundations, etc. He has no understanding on the design of portal frame structures, design of bolted or welded connections, or design of retaining walls, slope stabilization structures, road designs, design of offshore fixed jacket platforms, lifting analysis, transportations analysis with wave and current kinematics, etc. He has or was never introduced to the BS codes (in school or elsewhere) the Eurocodes 1, 2, 3, etc. So he can't just practice. There are no rigid linkage between the two. He would also never get a COREN certification. Engineering is applied mathematics and applied science and mathematics/physics is the bedrock of engineering. Mathematics, in itself, is subdivided into Fluid mechanics, topology, abstract algebra, calculus and complex theory. When you plot bending moment diagram of a simply supported beam, for e.g, the equations defining the distribution of the moments on the beam are basically mathematics (polynomials or linear functions) in terms of the Moments or shear forces, etc. But a mathematician or a physicist who is not trained in Civil engineering would never understand these. He would understand the polynomial equations, but doesnt understand what bending moment diagram mean.
I have largely described avenues and opportunities that abound in structural engineering as an area of specialization. Similar opportunities abound in highway engineering (design/construction of roads, hydraulic structures, etc), geotechnical engineering (sub-surface investigation, geophysical investigation,etc), etc. Civil, is one of the most practical engineering professions in this country.
Nigeria is a developing nation and a competent, vast and hardworking civil engineer would be glad he studied the course at the completion of his study!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by jaxxy(m): 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2021
Gerrard59:
OP is very correct especially if you look at it from the aspect of fleeing the country after your graduation (which I advise young and ambitious Nigerian youths to do). Except you are very intelligent, young (max 19 years prior to enrolment) and can take advantage of scholarships, you do not have to study certain courses. Nigeria is getting poorer by the day and will become more poor in the next decade and two. As an instance, economic growth of 2010 is what the country is "enjoying" meanwhile, the population has ballooned, resources are more scarce, the major foreign earner now has more sellers and less buyers. Nigeria is not what it was when OP and I were teens, so it is pointless to study certain courses esp if you are from a poor family.

One thing is: do not study five year programs because there would be more strike actions (internal crises too: See Unical and her Engineering and Pharmacy students) than ever before as the country becomes poorer and nears insolvency. So, why spend so much time studying Civil/Mech Engineering when there is Physics? Why do Marine Engineering when you can opt for Mathematics? Some of these courses have restrictions for foreigners when you have japa'd and you will spend a lot trying to regularise. Meanwhile, your school mate who did Math has gotten a job with a tech firm but you are trying to get into the maritime industry in the US. Regarding Law, Nigeria is the last place to study same as the country is lawless. Again, unless you are very intelligent and opt for a federal university, you are better off doing Psychology or English or Chinese Mandarin.

Remember, you are trying to escape poverty not perpetuate it.

As bad as Nigeria is, it will be better than the Nigeria of 2031. Things will get far worse than today. Ten years ago, people could travel across the country with relative ease, today? They dare not. In ten years time, it will be difficult to move around your city easily.

While all this is going on people are still working and earning serious money in same Nigeria.

Nigeria is not a poor country, Nigeria is a mismanaged country.

As a part 2 or 3 of this current subject I would like to see a thread on lucrative courses or skills in Nigeria currently and ALSO lucrative jobs in Nigeria currently.

This will help people planning on staying and working legitimately in current Nigeria.

Hopefully we have better days ahead.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by LordErrk: 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2021
Who gave you the idea to type this plenty rubbish?

A doctor in Nigeria treats an average of 6k patients a year. Meaning we are in serious need of Doctors.

Travelling out of Nigeria doesn't require a lot of money too. Just study hard and pass your PLAB, or USMLE.

How many medical doctors have you seen looking for job?

Biko, stop waking up in the morning and start writing what you're not sure of
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Christistruth00: 12:06pm On Jun 30, 2021
membranus:

Where you go see person wey go buy antelope milk and ostrich meat for Nigeria?

But they buy bush meat and hunger will teach them how to eat the rest
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by discusant: 12:10pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
A lot of Nigerian students especially those from high school still hold some archaic mentality that some courses are a sure way out of poverty. The situation of Nigeria and the future should make people dead that mentality o. If you arent from a rich family or well connected you should avoid studying some courses in Nigeria.

Medicine: This used to be a very sure way out of poverty. Just like 14 years back, even NYSC doctors were getting six figures. It was so good that even after NYSC and Housemanship, some doctors had bought nice cars or even built houses. The situation is totally different today. To get housemanship as a doctor na die and even when you get it you will be paid peanuts. To migrate out of the country as a doctor requires serious money which if you arent from a privileged home might be very difficult to meet. To also further as a doctor in Nigeria is very difficult as a lot of residency programs are based on who you know. Its no more about merit just as it used to be before yet every year thousands of teenagers kill themselves trying to get into medicine when they can get into other programs which are much more lucrative.

All Engineering Courses except Electrical/Computer engineering: Contrary to what a lot of people think, engineering a lot of branches of engineering are not as lucrative as people think they are. I was checking unilag's cut off the other day for my cousins and was shocked to find out that petroleum engineering has the highest cut-off point in the engineering department. That is a program that should be scrapped. Its glory days are over and never going to come back and its so restrictive yet a whole lot of brilliant people think killing themselves to study this is actually a good idea. Electrical and computer engineering are the only courses I can really advise anyone to go for as they are very much relevant in the ICT sector. Embedded systems, computer hardware, robotics alongside a host of others are mostly offshoots of these fields.
Lucrative alternatives to engineering that arent as competitive are computer science, mathematics and physics. Someone intending to study civil engineering or mechanical engineering in Nigeria should go for physics. There's practically no place a mechanical or civil engineer can work in this world that someone with a degree in physics cant work.

Law: I wont say much here but if you love poverty, this is an amazing course to study. If you are from arts class, instead of law go for a degree in English. At least with a TEFL certificate and an English degree you can get good jobs teaching English in asia and latin america.

Another thing that might help is that before you study a course, go on linkedin. Create a profile, go to linkedin jobs and check specifically how many jobs exist for your course in Nigeria, Africa and globally.

Nigeria isnt funny anymore to waste time on nonsense and funny as it is, [b]Nigeria of today is a paradise compared to the Nigeria coming so fol[/b]ks should help themselves.

In bold; apt. One imagines what gives some Nigerians the false impression that Nigeria shall be better in future.

The forces at home and abroad milking Nigeria dry are not giving up; they are rather tightening the noose around Nigeria.

Black Lives Matter, are they impressed with the slogan?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by chosenst: 12:11pm On Jun 30, 2021
Whatever you do. Make sure you are trading on $Billion dollars blockchain crypto trading. Especially with this No Loss Robot on binance.

Whatsapp me 08035341299 let's do blockchain crypto trading together jare!

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by AiSamuel(m): 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2021
Please, someone should enlighten me small on this. I was a commercial student during my secondary school time so i intended studying banking and finance at uni. Is it a perfect choice interms of fleeing out the country? or can i go for English?
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Rickylambert: 12:15pm On Jun 30, 2021
Philosophy
Useless,I studied Philosophy.I ve never seen it listed on any job opening.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Gilden115: 12:22pm On Jun 30, 2021
My brother you dey correct for the law part oo
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Asour: 12:26pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Do we have it in Nigeria? If it merges electrical and computer then all good but mechanical alone as a course of study is useless.

Useless?

That's extreme.
Every course of study here requires determination to succeed with. So this says nothing about ME.
I'm not a Mech. Engineer but know enough to know that they are architects of a country's industrial base.

May be harder to practice in Nigeria due to a low manufacturing practices, but then what isn't harder in Nigeria.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Kubernetes: 12:26pm On Jun 30, 2021
No one has mentioned the crucial of all.
With a Bad economy and corruption, everything you read will be useless.
Fix the economy and have minimum corruption.

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by VTJN(m): 12:27pm On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

pls do you know what graduate assistance(G.A) Is all abt. pls research it. getting a fully funded phd is easy via G.A.
if ur grade isnt gud enof to get u scholarship or G.A, then go to germany. the tuition is free! for the remaining process? there is a thread for it.
pls mind you, anything below 2.1 can venture into i.t skill or entrepreurship.
someone who studied Geography and planning with GPA of 4.2/5.. what advice will you give such a person? Thanks!
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by alfredilly: 12:31pm On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:
@ tensazangetsu20
what about MECHATRONICS ENGINEERING?

I think, it's the best of all.
it's the brigde connecting the three major engineering courses(mechanical+elect/elect+computer).
moreso, it is a course that merge I.T with engineering.

Mechanical Engineering is the best course in Engineering department. It's relevance is undying and it will remain so for ages to come.

The op post is a bit misleading. Thinking a physics graduate could do the work of Mechanical Engineer is an absolute misinformation. Yes, physicist have Idea that can be deployed to help in the field of mechanical engineering but it sometimes takes further study like PhD to really attain that specialization. This is due to the fact science is broad based. A physics graduate is likely to have spent his years studying little in each of all the theory that every engineering used in their specialized field. More like jack of all trades. Only as he proceed to higher degree dedicated to the a related field can he compete. Meanwhile, a mechanical or electircal engineer will only study what's relevant to him. Beside, design is another aspect that physicist will find himself lost if trying to assume the role of a mechanical engineer
Lastly, when I try to make a choice on lucrative courses, I don't limit my scope to Nigeria. Most courses are financially rewarding but in Nigeria, nothing for them. Law is one of the most lucrative profession in US but see what we are making of them in Nigeria.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Yomit71(m): 12:31pm On Jun 30, 2021
no course is even advisable to study in this country again. after service if you don't have connection, if you like have many certifications the best you settled for is a peanut job (50k a month) in cities like Lagos. that's equal to nothing
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Hassanmaye(m): 12:34pm On Jun 30, 2021
ClixMaster:
Hahahhhahhhaha why
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Hassanmaye(m): 12:35pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Do we have it in Nigeria? If it merges electrical and computer then all good but mechanical alone as a course of study is useless.
Hahhahhha please stop o, so that engineering students won't come for you
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by chibjohn(m): 12:38pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Lucrative alternatives to engineering that arent as competitive are computer science, mathematics and physics. [s]Someone intending to study civil engineering or mechanical engineering in Nigeria should go for physics. There's practically no place a mechanical or civil engineer can work in this world that someone with a degree in physics cant work.[/s]

Nigeria isnt funny anymore to waste time on nonsense and funny as it is, Nigeria of today is a paradise compared to the Nigeria coming so folks should help themselves.
You are high on cheap drugs for making this statement. How dare you compare physics with mechanical and civil engineering? How many job adverts do you see with requirements of a physics degree?

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 12:39pm On Jun 30, 2021
VTJN:
someone who studied Geography and planning with GPA of 4.2/5.. what advice will you give such a person? Thanks!
okay,
there is a nairalander who is currently studying in germany.
he graduated with 2.1 in geophysic at unn.
he has made answer to your question in is thread.
he has a moniker @ basalt on nairaland.
search for this thread he created on nairaland.
"don't listen to anyone who discourages you from travelling abroad"

1 Like

Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Yomit71(m): 12:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

pls can you leave sentiments and come up with facts?
what does "your body dey sweet you" has to do with the topic?
ok, lemme reply your comment.
just jot this down,
in the history of success, hardly have i heard of a MAN who achieve success easily.
no! it's not found on the platter of gold but, it is a product of work n toil.
what do i mean?
nothing dey sweet my body cos i knw the reality ahead!
though, i may sound too cocky to you or anyone. but i'm here to encourage those who might have been misled by some unfounded heresies in the thread.
as a fresher, you ought to keep quiet and learn from the elders. is it not this same Nigeria? if you like study pharmacomedical. the chance of getting a job is still very slim
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by fineyemi(m): 12:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
atom080:

OMG!
i wonder how i'm exposed to things ppl ahead of me arent exposed. pls dedicate time to research.
u dnt need to have a phd to obtain scholarsip. what's the need self.
in the u.s you can do ur phd without msc. there are tonnes of scholarship and G.A right there. jst get gud grades!
that is why am nt moved
by d words of d naysayers here!
My boss what advise would you give someone with 4.31/5.00 in computer sciences and a certificate in professional information security expert with 2 academic journals
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Hassanmaye(m): 12:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

They experience severe unemployment and poverty. Not worth it.
Blood of Zechariah even pilot they spend up to 7million to study that course! Are you sure
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by Nozino: 12:42pm On Jun 30, 2021
yusman14:
Petroleum engineering,and metallurgical and materials engineering, which one is better?

Metallurgical and Materials Engineering is like a branch of Mechanical Engineering. I would not encourage anyone to study any of the course.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by chibjohn(m): 12:42pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nozino:

It isn’t. The OP was correct. I read Mechanical Engineering and Mech is literally useless in Nigeria. If it isn’t EEE, just study any 4year course and graduate.
I read mech Engr too and I am practicing it. Your problem is not the course but probably the personality.
Re: Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. by atom080: 12:44pm On Jun 30, 2021
Yomit71:

as a fresher, you ought to keep quiet and learn from the elders. is it not this same Nigeria? if you like study pharmacomedical. the chance of getting a job is still very slim
hey!
this is faceless forum.
i play it hide and seek.
by the way, what makes you think i "were" a fresher?
infact, i'm in jss1.
case closed!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

I Finally Received My 10,000 Grant From Federal Government / No More Department Of Mass Communication In Nigerian Universities. Read Why / Isn't This Too Much For A Nursery 1 Pupil?(picture Attached)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.