Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,347 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

The Worst Parenting Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Worst Parenting Advice (1347 Views)

The Worst Embarrassment You Have Received As A Result Of You Not Having Money / My Sister Is On The Verge Of Making The Worst Mistake Of Her Life / Parenting Advice For Career Women From Pastor Mrs Olamide Timi David (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Worst Parenting Advice by marveangel(m): 2:14am On Jul 04, 2021

I saw this picture on Quora some days back and for some reason it just annoyed me.

See I'm not trying to be cynical or insensitive here and I know that what I have to say might not go down well with most people but just for a moment let's toss sentiments aside and try to reason this issue in a purely logical way without emotions.

To be sure, parenting is a wonderful thing (or so I'm told- still very much single here) it's a beautiful thing to bring a child into this world, children are a blessing and whatnot but these blessings are also responsibilities and especially if you are in Nigeria chances are no government health care plan for kids so the sole responsibility of providing for this "boundle of joy" is entirely up to you and your spouse.

Now I know that parenting is about making sacrifice for your kids, trying your best to give them the kind of life you never had or a life better than the one you had, and we all love our parents for all the sacrifices they made to bring us this far in life but this is 2021, and I want us to have an open mind and consider this, wouldn't life be a lot easier if parents only give birth to children when they are financially capable to fully take good care of them, by take good care I mean give them the basic things in life- good food, quality education, shelter, good clothes and their size of shoes.

All these talk about sacrife and going to bed hungry so your kids can eat would be no more, you don't have to go to bed hungry just because you have kids, you should be able to guarantee that both you and your kid(s) can have 3 square meal daily before you bring them into this world.

That is what a responsible adult should do. I think it is gross irrespobility for any adult who isn't financial capable of giving him/herself a good life to bring in another into this life. If your defense is that "God will provide or what your religion says- then shame on you, you are just a fool who is using religion or customs and traditions to cover up for your irrespobility.

Growing up I would here people say "Na God dy take care of children" as far as I'm concerned that's just nonsense. God won't "MoneyGram" money to you for buy diaper or baby food or pay school fees. If you bring in kids into this life when you are unable to financial take care of them you are not only punishing the kids, you are also indirectly inflicting huge financial burden to those family and friends you will keep running day and night to for money.

Last week on my way to work (my very underpaid job which gives me little or no time to do anything else) I encountered these almjiri( that is what they are called right?) Those Fulani kids whose only job is to beg day and night for alms-just so you know- I don't give them anything, I used to till I realize that the moment you give one of them something the rest sorround you like flies to faeces and worse of, the kids don't even get to keep the money you give them, once they collect the money from you they go running back to remit to their parents or whoever is in charge.

I briskly walk past them with my ear phones plugged in my ears listening to Rema singing about how he is from another dimension (my favorites line from that song is "bad man no threaten me, you no fit kill a man when don die before) , one particular child grab onto my wrist, this Fulani or Niger girl not more than 6-7 years old grab my wrist, I could she her lips moving obviously she was uttering some kind of prayer, I didn't give her a second look and after about 8-10 steps she got the message I wasn't going to give her a dime, so she let go of my wrist and turned back.

I continued on my journey trying to quickly get the be park so I get a bus and continue on my journey to work, but then in my mind I thought, today is a school day that little child is not in school,she looked so unkept, in her worn out and tattered clothes. I pondered on- she isn't in school, she isn't learning a skill or a trade, what does the future hold for her, what kind of life would she have- I remember myself around that age or a little older I had dreams, things I wanted to be when I grew up, I wonder if this child could even afford to dream, if indeed she even knew how to dream of a better life or any life at all other than what she had now.

Begging- that was all she knew, all she could do, all she knew how to do, holding on the strange people uttering words of prayer she probably doesn't even understand just to get anything from them.

This was her life maybe this would be all she ever amounts to, she didn't have a choice those that could have chosen a better path for her didn't, they knew, they knew that if they had her this would be her life but they didn't care they still brought her into this life.

Her parents had brought her into this life knowing fully well that they were not able to provide the very basic things in life for here (food, clothes, shelter, basic education). They knew that these things were not on the offering yet they chose to bring this innocent child into this already cruel world. Why?

I turned around, I wanted to go grab her and and order her to lead me to her parents I was going to give them a piece of my mind, but when I cast my eyes in the direction from where she appeared earlier I counted not less than 11 children of similar age doing exactly the same thing she was doing. My heart sank, my anger evaporated and in its place was pure pity, I felt sorry for these kids, no child deserves such a life and as much as it pained me there was nothing only I could do to end this. So I bought a chilled bottle of Pepsi, beckoned to the little girl earlier and handed the soft drink to her and continued on my journey.

I think it is sheer wickedness in this present day and age for anyone to bring a child into this world when you aren't financial stable enough to carter for one.

I'm not saying you have to have millions in your account, but you should at least have a sustainable source of livelihood before you think about bringing a child to this world.

I'm tired of tales of parents going to bed hungry so kids can eat, tired of parents begging so their kids can eat. Tired of kids begging so their parents can eat, These things can be avoided, you don't have to bring a child into this world if you can't provide the basic things for them, no one is holding a gun to your head, be reasonable, be logical and be practical- with everything happening in the society today I personally consider it as an act of wickedness for anyone to subject an innocent child to a life of uncertainty just because....

FINAL NOTE
...there is no final note, I'm too pissed to right now plus I hate that I'm so powerless to help the situation. Please be wise and only give birth to kids you can take care of and if you have more than enough adopt and help these kids get a better life. Yours truly "Broke Yahoo Boy'.

13 Likes

Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by squarelead(m): 2:36am On Jul 04, 2021
Nice write up there . Am with the motion though. But come to think of it . What amounts to giving birth, "sex" and what does sex brings , "Outright Pleasure". This is where the problem lies . Many of them wants the pleasure , but does not want the result at times . Majority of those almajiris so to speak are not even literate enough to know what is called fam planning. This write up here can barely get to 1% of them , if not almost impossible. With the situation of the country , in my own opinion, I think the government should make a law of two children per family. With this future resources might actually go round . But if not , we may still be experiencing a better yesterday.
For every pleasure, there is a result .
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by marveangel(m): 3:01am On Jul 04, 2021
squarelead:
Nice write up there . Am with the motion though. But come to think of it . What amounts to giving birth, "sex" and what does sex brings , "Outright Pleasure". This is where the problem lies . Many of them wants the pleasure , but does not want the result at times . Majority of those almajiris so to speak are not even literate enough to know what is called fam planning. This write up here can barely get to 1% of them , if not almost impossible. With the situation of the country , in my own opinion, I think the government should make a law of two children per family. With this future resources might actually go round . But if not , we may still be experiencing a better yesterday.
You made a very valid point with the sex and pleasure angle, it's next to impossible to stop people from engaging in sex because of the pleasure they derive from but isn't it irresponsible to bring in a child you can't carter for just because of a few minutes of pleasure. People need to start thinking beyond their immediate wants and learn self control, what do you think?
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by squarelead(m): 3:17am On Jul 04, 2021
marveangel:
You made a very valid point with the sex and pleasure angle, it's next to impossible to stop people from engaging in sex because of the pleasure they derive from but isn't it irresponsible to bring in a child you can't carter for just because of a few minutes of pleasure. People need to start thinking beyond their immediate wants and learn self control, what do you think?

Sure. That's how human reasoning should be.
We should all be future minded. I just hope pple can get this point . Children are to be nurtured and cared for , not engaging them in risk taking venture cos of their livelihood. Every form of criminality would still be traced to children that lack proper care and attention .

1 Like

Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by SportsHD: 4:54am On Jul 04, 2021
squarelead:
Very valid points.
My fear is, in no distant time, we'll have a population of china and a worse spiralling economy. Everywhere falling to shiits.

And yet, someone is still calling me that he just gave birth and he doesn't have enough money to clear the hospital bills.

Later on, the child grows up in a bad neighborhood, influenced, then becomes a statistic!

4 Likes

Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by marveangel(m): 7:42am On Jul 04, 2021
SportsHD:

Very valid points.
My fear is, in no distant time, we'll have a population of china and a worse spiralling economy. Everywhere falling to shiits.

And yet, someone is still calling me that he just gave birth and he doesn't have enough money to clear the hospital bills.

Later on, the child grows up in a bad neighborhood, influenced, then becomes a statistic!
see! those are the type of things we should try to avoid in this country. imagine the child has only been born and the parents are already running up and down
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by Hathor5(f): 8:03am On Jul 04, 2021
This is a very well written piece and I agree with the points you have raised. It is the 21st century and people should be responsible about the number of kids they have. However, I wonder if the poor know much about family planning. The sad part is that there are no government incentives to help poor people with family planning.

In a different context the picture would make sense. I have noticed that many times people from humble backgrounds, not necessarily those from extremely poor backgrounds, tend to be more grateful to their parents than some privileged kids who still complain how their parents could have done more, behaved differently, given them this or that.

So it all depends on the context. I know the picture shows a poor family but people from middle-class or upper-class homes complain sometimes too. And even though I know that kids need more than money and that some homes lack love, affection or peace and parents do not have enough time for their kids, I also know that most parents, except for the dysfunctional ones, want the best for their children and give them their all. So I am equally annoyed when people blame their parents for not having done more or even worse for their own mistakes.

And then I think to myself that one day they will have children of their own and realize how much their parents have actually done for them and how hard it can at times be to be a parent.
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by marveangel(m): 8:31am On Jul 04, 2021
Hathor5:
This is a very well written piece and I agree with the points you have raised. It is the 21st century and people should be responsible about the number of kids they have. However, I wonder if the poor know much about family planning. The sad part is that there are no government incentives to help poor people with family planning.

In a different context the picture would make sense. I have noticed that many times people from humble backgrounds, not necessarily those from extremely poor backgrounds, tend to be more grateful to their parents than some privileged kids who still complain how their parents could have done more, behaved differently, given them this or that.

So it all depends on the context. I know the picture shows a poor family but people from middle-class or upper-class homes complain sometimes too. And even though I know that kids need more than money and that some homes lack love, affection or peace and parents do not have enough time for their kids, I also know that most parents, except for the dysfunctional ones, want the best for their children and give them their all. So I am equally annoyed when people blame their parents for not having done more or even worse for their own mistakes.

And then I think to myself that one day they will have children of their own and realize how much their parents have actually done for them and how hard it can at times be to be a parent.
I think the government at all levels (particularly in Nigeria) has failed when it comes to educating the people on issues of child birth and family planning. I feel like more should be done in that regards. we are a country with very little economic growth and development yet we have one of the fastest growing human population, you see how that can be a big for us in the nearest future.
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by touchalex25: 1:59pm On Jul 04, 2021
I couldn't agree more, I keep saying it don't give birth to kids in Nigeria if you don't have money.

This is the kind of post that should be moved to the front page

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by Laird(m): 3:05pm On Jul 04, 2021
@op You are very right and insightful
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by efficiencie(m): 4:03pm On Jul 04, 2021
marveangel:

I saw this picture on Quora some days back and for some reason it just annoyed me.

See I'm not trying to be cynical or insensitive here and I know that what I have to say might not go down well with most people but just for a moment let's toss sentiments aside and try to reason this issue in a purely logical way without emotions.

To be sure, parenting is a wonderful thing (or so I'm told- still very much single here) it's a beautiful thing to bring a child into this world, children are a blessing and whatnot but these blessings are also responsibilities and especially if you are in Nigeria chances are no government health care plan for kids so the sole responsibility of providing for this "boundle of joy" is entirely up to you and your spouse.

Now I know that parenting is about making sacrifice for your kids, trying your best to give them the kind of life you never had or a life better than the one you had, and we all love our parents for all the sacrifices they made to bring us this far in life but this is 2021, and I want us to have an open mind and consider this, wouldn't life be a lot easier if parents only give birth to children when they are financially capable to fully take good care of them, by take good care I mean give them the basic things in life- good food, quality education, shelter, good clothes and their size of shoes.

All these talk about sacrife and going to bed hungry so your kids can eat would be no more, you don't have to go to bed hungry just because you have kids, you should be able to guarantee that both you and your kid(s) can have 3 square meal daily before you bring them into this world.

That is what a responsible adult should do. I think it is gross irrespobility for any adult who isn't financial capable of giving him/herself a good life to bring in another into this life. If your defense is that "God will provide or what your religion says- then shame on you, you are just a fool who is using religion or customs and traditions to cover up for your irrespobility.

Growing up I would here people say "Na God dy take care of children" as far as I'm concerned that's just nonsense. God won't "MoneyGram" money to you for buy diaper or baby food or pay school fees. If you bring in kids into this life when you are unable to financial take care of them you are not only punishing the kids, you are also indirectly inflicting huge financial burden to those family and friends you will keep running day and night to for money.

Last week on my way to work (my very underpaid job which gives me little or no time to do anything else) I encountered these almjiri( that is what they are called right?) Those Fulani kids whose only job is to beg day and night for alms-just so you know- I don't give them anything, I used to till I realize that the moment you give one of them something the rest sorround you like flies to faeces and worse of, the kids don't even get to keep the money you give them, once they collect the money from you they go running back to remit to their parents or whoever is in charge.

I briskly walk past them with my ear phones plugged in my ears listening to Rema singing about how he is from another dimension (my favorites line from that song is "bad man no threaten me, you no fit kill a man when don die before) , one particular child grab onto my wrist, this Fulani or Niger girl not more than 6-7 years old grab my wrist, I could she her lips moving obviously she was uttering some kind of prayer, I didn't give her a second look and after about 8-10 steps she got the message I wasn't going to give her a dime, so she let go of my wrist and turned back.

I continued on my journey trying to quickly get the be park so I get a bus and continue on my journey to work, but then in my mind I thought, today is a school day that little child is not in school,she looked so unkept, in her worn out and tattered clothes. I pondered on- she isn't in school, she isn't learning a skill or a trade, what does the future hold for her, what kind of life would she have- I remember myself around that age or a little older I had dreams, things I wanted to be when I grew up, I wonder if this child could even afford to dream, if indeed she even knew how to dream of a better life or any life at all other than what she had now.

Begging- that was all she knew, all she could do, all she knew how to do, holding on the strange people uttering words of prayer she probably doesn't even understand just to get anything from them.

This was her life maybe this would be all she ever amounts to, she didn't have a choice those that could have chosen a better path for her didn't, they knew, they knew that if they had her this would be her life but they didn't care they still brought her into this life.

Her parents had brought her into this life knowing fully well that they were not able to provide the very basic things in life for here (food, clothes, shelter, basic education). They knew that these things were not on the offering yet they chose to bring this innocent child into this already cruel world. Why?

I turned around, I wanted to go grab her and and order her to lead me to her parents I was going to give them a piece of my mind, but when I cast my eyes in the direction from where she appeared earlier I counted not less than 11 children of similar age doing exactly the same thing she was doing. My heart sank, my anger evaporated and in its place was pure pity, I felt sorry for these kids, no child deserves such a life and as much as it pained me there was nothing only I could do to end this. So I bought a chilled bottle of Pepsi, beckoned to the little girl earlier and handed the soft drink to her and continued on my journey.

I think it is sheer wickedness in this present day and age for anyone to bring a child into this world when you aren't financial stable enough to carter for one.

I'm not saying you have to have millions in your account, but you should at least have a sustainable source of livelihood before you think about bringing a child to this world.

I'm tired of tales of parents going to bed hungry so kids can eat, tired of parents begging so their kids can eat. Tired of kids begging so their parents can eat, These things can be avoided, you don't have to bring a child into this world if you can't provide the basic things for them, no one is holding a gun to your head, be reasonable, be logical and be practical- with everything happening in the society today I personally consider it as an act of wickedness for anyone to subject an innocent child to a life of uncertainty just because....

FINAL NOTE
...there is no final note, I'm too pissed to right now plus I hate that I'm so powerless to help the situation. Please be wise and only give birth to kids you can take care of and if you have more than enough adopt and help these kids get a better life. Yours truly "Broke Yahoo Boy'.

You could have presented your logic without writing a PhD thesis na. There are situations you are not accounting for:

1. Parents may be well to do before they had children but due to a twist of fate they may struggle when their children are teens and the parents may not be able to meet the same standards they wanted for their kids.

2. Parenting goes beyond providing the basic amenities. Parenting also involves mentoring, early warning signalling, long term investments and the inculcation of values. Many of the parents who are well to do may not be meeting the other responsibilities required of them hence their kids become wayward, uncouth, unstable, anti social or even psychotic!

3. Accidental parents make matters worse. Not every parent was prepared to be a parent. We have rationalized baby mamaism and we now have a pandemic of accidental parents who have little or no training to give their kids, little or no experience mentoring anyone, no solid means of livelihood and no bearing or direction in life. No matter how rich such accidental parents are they will always constitute a threat to the society by breeding problematic children.

Parenting is a tough job and only a few are prepared for it.

2 Likes

Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by RightToReject(m): 4:48pm On Jul 04, 2021
May we never be victims of life's uncertainties. Whenever you see those poor people, be charitable to the ones you can, if you wish, but if you can't, just wish them well and move. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. I don't hold a brief for unrealistic, irresponsible, and unresourcesful adults or parents, but I tell you, nothing is guaranteed in this world. Life and its progression aren't like a constant term in an algebraic equation in mathematics. Some of those poor kids/almjiris you have seen might be the children of rich parents of just yesterday; it could be that they were born into money until life happens to them.

Literally, almost no person, adult or not, is certain of being perpetually financially capable of giving himself/herself a good life, and thinking otherwise is a mere illusion and wishful thinking coming from the place of ignorance or self-deceit. So, I don't agree that it is gross irresponsibility for any adult who isn't financially capable of giving himself/herself a good life to bring in another person into this life - once more, I don't hold brief for unrealistic, irresponsible, and unresourceful adults or parents; while at the same time, I know that the only constant thing in life is change. I have seen multibillionaires turn paupers overnight; I have seen top globally rated companies and their owners crumble overnight, and I have also seen poor but gritty and resourceful people turn rich overnight, legitimately or otherwise.

The truth is that there are many poor people in Nigeria, just like in many other third-world and developing countries. The country's fundamental problem is the major cause of poverty for a large number of its citizens and the bane of its advancement and progress entirely. Every Nigerian, dead or alive, is part of the problem directly or indirectly. The good thing is that Nigeria will be great very soon, provided that the majority are ready to key into the project that will make it so. So, soon too, all things being equal, poverty will be alleviated since its eradication is impossible anywhere in the world.

3 Likes

Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by MMotimo: 8:24pm On Jul 04, 2021
Nigerians have kids for many reasons. Unfortunately, for the poorest amongst us, it’s for the wrong reasons (eg perpetuating your family name, because your mates have kids, for them to look after you in your old age, etc). This thing is naira and kobo, simple arithmetic. It’s 2021, no excuse is good enough when it comes to popping out kids in the midst of poverty. Even the rich practise family planning so what’s a poor man’s excuse?

You need money to raise kids. You owe it to those kids and to society to not expand the population when you don’t have the financial means. Too often, a cycle of poverty continues because each generation does not have the financial means to give their kids the needed breakthrough.

For example, if you have one kid and are able to provide quality education in a good school, leading to long term academic success and the opportunities (foreign and/or local) that follow, chances of that kid being a success and without dabbling in crime is significantly higher. Compare that to having many kids, all getting the same poor education and lack of opportunities. Eventually, many branch off into crime and become a societal nuisance. Because crime doesn’t pay, their sins eventually catch up with them and then we say it’s village people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by touchalex25: 10:25pm On Jul 04, 2021
MMotimo:
Nigerians have kids for many reasons. Unfortunately, for the poorest amongst us, it’s for the wrong reasons (eg perpetuating your family name, because your mates have kids, for them to look after you in your old age, etc). This thing is naira and kobo, simple arithmetic. It’s 2021, no excuse is good enough when it comes to popping out kids in the midst of poverty. Even the rich practise family planning so what’s a poor man’s excuse?

You need money to raise kids. You owe it to those kids and to society to not expand the population when you don’t have the financial means. Too often, a cycle of poverty continues because each generation does not have the financial means to give their kids the needed breakthrough.

For example, if you have one kid and are able to provide quality education in a good school, leading to long term academic success and the opportunities (foreign and/or local) that follow, chances of that kid being a success and without dabbling in crime is significantly higher. Compare that to having many kids, all getting the same poor education and lack of opportunities. Eventually, many branch off into crime and become a societal nuisance. Because crime doesn’t pay, their sins eventually catch up with them and then we say it’s village people.

My point exactly, if we do not enlighten people that they owe it to their kids to provide the basic things in life for them, people will keep churning out kids they have no plans to carter for.
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by touchalex25: 10:29pm On Jul 04, 2021
efficiencie:

You could have presented your logic without writing a PhD thesis na. There are situations you are not accounting for:

1. Parents may be well to do before they had children but due to a twist of fate they may struggle when their children are teens and the parents may not be able to meet the same standards they wanted for their kids.

2. Parenting goes beyond providing the basic amenities. Parenting also involves mentoring, early warning signalling, long term investments and the inculcation of values. Many of the parents who are well to do may not be meeting the other responsibilities required of them hence their kids become wayward, uncouth, unstable, anti social or even psychotic!

3. Accidental parents make matters worse. Not every parent was prepared to be a parent. We have rationalized baby mamaism and we now have a pandemic of accidental parents who have little or no training to give their kids, little or no experience mentoring anyone, no solid means of livelihood and no bearing or direction in life. No matter how rich such accidental parents are they will always constitute a threat to the society by breeding problematic children.

1. There is one reason why I don't agree with you on this, people shouldn't wait till they have kids or about to have kids before they start making plans for them. I got inspire by a colleague of my 2 years ago, this guy who is still very much single already has savings account set up for children welfare. That is omeone that is planning ahead, granted life throws unexpected challenges at us but many of these begging kids were born by parents when they knew they had zero naira to take care of them.

2 Likes

Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by marveangel(m): 10:35pm On Jul 04, 2021
efficiencie:

Sorry about the PHD thesis believe me I didn't set out to write a "thesis" but what I saw was heartbreaking and depressing I just need people to see that they are already running these little kids life by bringing them into this world when they know they can't take care of them. These kids have very limited opportunity to ever become something great in the future and that's just the truth. I don't like when kids are mad the suffer for the silly mistakes/decisions of their parents
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by marveangel(m): 10:45pm On Jul 04, 2021
Laird:
@op You are very right and insightful
Thanks my man
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by efficiencie(m): 12:51am On Jul 05, 2021
marveangel:

Sorry about the PHD thesis believe me I didn't set out to write a "thesis" but what I saw was heartbreaking and depressing I just need people to see that they are already running these little kids life by bringing them into this world when they know they can't take care of them. These kids have very limited opportunity to ever become something great in the future and that's just the truth. I don't like when kids are mad the suffer for the silly mistakes/decisions of their parents

It's sad though. Particularly in the north where it is predominant to believe that God has already provided what a person will need from cradle to grave so no need to cut down fertility rates! The flip side of this is that when nations embrace reduction of fertility rates it becomes difficult to reverse the trend when the population starts to age!
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by efficiencie(m): 12:54am On Jul 05, 2021
touchalex25:

1. There is one reason why I don't agree with you on this, people shouldn't wait till they have kids or about to have kids before they start making plans for them. I got inspire by a colleague of my 2 years ago, this guy who is still very much single already has savings account set up for children welfare. That is omeone that is planning ahead, granted life throws unexpected challenges at us but many of these begging kids were born by parents when they knew they had zero naira to take care of them.

I very much agree with you but you must understand that there are circumstances that may render parents financially incapable and result in the depletion of child welfare savings. And there are events that can happen to the child or children that may render the availability of child welfare savings irrelevant to their welfare (like when one has a child/children that do drugs, are delinquent, have terrible illnesses etc).
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by marveangel(m): 1:10pm On Jul 05, 2021
efficiencie:

It's sad though. Particularly in the north where it is predominant to believe that God has already provided what a person will need from cradle to grave so no need to cut down fertility rates! The flip side of this is that when nations embrace reduction of fertility rates it becomes difficult to reverse the trend when the population starts to age!
it's that believe that "God will take care of the children" that I just don't like, I mean is a lazy man's excuse to keep giving birth to kids without any thoughts whatsoever to what they would eat or the kind of life they'll have
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by Raalsalghul: 9:35pm On Jul 10, 2021
SportsHD:

Very valid points.

Can you imagine?
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by Raalsalghul: 9:36pm On Jul 10, 2021
efficiencie:

I very much agree with you but you must understand that there are circumstances that may render parents financially incapable and result in the depletion of child welfare savings. And there are events that can happen to the child or children that may render the availability of child welfare savings irrelevant to their welfare (like when one has a child/children that do drugs, are delinquent, have terrible illnesses etc).

Sir, these are acceptable and reasonable exceptions.
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by Raalsalghul: 9:50pm On Jul 10, 2021
touchalex25:
I couldn't agree more, I keep saying it don't give birth to kids in Nigeria if you don't have money.

This is the kind of post that should be moved to the front page

Mynd44
Lalasticlala

These two moderators will never take this thread to the front page.

But if it is a boyfriend/girlfriend thread that might probably lead to impoverished kids and poverty that the Op is talking about you will see it there before the first page space exhausts.

Over a hundred threads have been opened on the need to reduce birthrates in Nigeria and rather than the mods help spreading the awareness, they turn a blind eye to it.
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by Klass99(f): 12:03am On Jul 11, 2021
smiley

1 Like

Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by tunjilee003: 10:45am On Jul 11, 2021
Well, one of the problems we're facing in this country is population explosion, if we can control our birthrate, everything will be at optimum... These children you see at the roadsides with little or no formal education are likely to be blended into the banditry business(since its lucrative in the northern part).... Once population is controlled, unemployment, kidnappings and all social vices can be at optimum....
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by marveangel(m): 1:17am On Jul 13, 2021
tunjilee003:
Well, one of the problems we're facing in this country is population explosion, if we can control our birthrate, everything will be at optimum... These children you see at the roadsides with little or no formal education are likely to be blended into the banditry business(since its lucrative in the northern part).... Once population is controlled, unemployment, kidnappings and all social vices can be at optimum....
very true
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by laurenwhite(f): 4:42am On Jul 13, 2021
OP is obviously still a 'child'
You haven't 'tasted' life, so to say
Keep listening to Rema
Re: The Worst Parenting Advice by marveangel(m): 9:52am On Jul 13, 2021
laurenwhite:
OP is obviously still a 'child'
You haven't 'tasted' life, so to say
Keep listening to Rema
I'm very sure I'm older than you, unless you were born in the early 80s and I highly doubt that from your clownish comment

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help The Girl Of My Dream Is My Baby Mama Younger Sister / Delay Pregnancy After Wedding / I Do All The Domestic Bcus My Wife Pregnant Fall Sick Always. Help Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.