Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,764 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write (35590 Views)

If U Say U Are An Intelectual! And You Have Not Read This Book U Are Jonzing / Can I Still Go Back And Write My Carry Over After 2 Years? / 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by lambszy(m): 1:09am On Jul 05, 2021
Thanks.
Gambit23:

Meet a primary school English teacher.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Dre183(m): 1:15am On Jul 05, 2021
Hope is not the boy that repeated primary one for 15years be this? grin
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by DMCY: 1:57am On Jul 05, 2021
Geoboi:

PREPOSTEROUS

Pele oo Buoda eleyinbo

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by chinchum(m): 3:08am On Jul 05, 2021
Dyslexia disorder

2 Likes

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Originalsly: 3:19am On Jul 05, 2021
CharisEleos:

Contact me to take him on phonics subject . He'll be able to read within three months.

PM me now if you're interested.

Hmmm..... solution in a nutshell. Phonics is the foundation of reading.... master phonics to master reading.
@ topic. Not surprising.... if raised in a family that speaks well... and are always around people who also speak well... you will automatically speak well... whether you are literate or not. I guess your friend is one such person. I'm almost sure his parents are responsible. Most likely....they used their influence to get him passing grades throughout school and continue to do so at this level. Age doesn't matter... he has to begin to learn from kindergarten level. He should know in this century.... being literate is a must. It is never too late to start.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Godchosen001: 5:42am On Jul 05, 2021
HenryDion:
If he's not ready to learn, you're merely wasting your time.

Even those with learning disability can become professionals in their respected fields if they are dedicated.

The dude is not yet ready to sit his ass down. You can take the camel to a river, but you can't force it to drink!

If you're crushing on him, better kill that yeye crush and look for someone that will add value to your life.

This person will only bring you down!!!

My one cent!
that was how I was teaching my friend how to drive automatic car for one month and he still find it difficult to drive ,he will see road and be going into the bush and once I tried correcting him ,he will show angry face , na so I stop teaching him how to drive , I can't continue wasting my time ,car and fuel to teach him how to drive ,I learn how to drive for just 1 day
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by venatus25(m): 6:38am On Jul 05, 2021
Don't just help by listing words and their spelling, he won't be able to remember all the spellings.
In this very case you need take him back to the fundamental which include the 26 letter of the alphabet which comprises of the 5 vowels and 21 consonants, teach him the sound each vowel and consonant carries and how they are being combined to produce a unique sound or word.
After this is done you can proceed to giving him example of words when combined by starting with two letter words then upgrade gradually to more letters word and also show him how to seperate letters when trying to pronounce complex letter words, example: mo-bi-li-za-tion, ca-me-ra, etc. Don't be in hurry, ensure he fully understand each step before proceedings to another step. If he is living in or could visit Akwa ibom state, I will personally volunteer to help him out at lease for a day.
In my secondary school days, I've help 3 of my friends with similar problem.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Eastcoastboy(m): 6:55am On Jul 05, 2021
HenryDion:

If you're waiting for someone to motivate you before you start developing yourself, it shows how undeveloped your perception is.

You want to tell me that a 22 years old cargo doesn't know what he wants?

His mates are deep into acquiring cutting edge skills like machine learning, data mining and web development, yet the idiot doesn't even know how to read, or write.

His father must be very ashamed of him!

What has he been doing throughout primary and secondary school? How did he even gain admission into the university?

People like you are the reason Nigeria will remain stuck on the dark ages. You lots encourage mediocrity to an insane height.

The fact still remains that, that guy needs help. There's no two way about it. And leaving him like that does not bring Nigeria into light ages. That's just it. Just encourage whoever is helping him that's it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by SEGLIZ: 7:07am On Jul 05, 2021
lambszy:
Good morning guys,

Please, help me to help a friend.

I have tried everything possible within my capacity to help this guy but to no avail.
My friend is 22 and currently in one of the federal polytechnic here in Nigeria. This guy can speak good english well but the problem is he can not read nor write, the only thing he can write down is his name and Reg. No.

Last year, before first semester exam. I noticed that this guy is always avoiding conversation that involves reading or studying. I never saw him read, not even once. We are neighbours and friends.

I just decided to take it upon myself to find out what was wrong as I know, he is a good person but hiding something. So I offered to be helping him with his assignments and handout summary to my amazement the guy find it hard to read what I smartly asked him to. He refused to admit that he can't read, probably he was a shame to admit it, so I let him be.

He, then finally opens up to me about him not been able to read and write. Of course, this was after first semesters exam and I had to perster him before he was able to tell me of his secret. How have you been writing the exam then? I asked, he said "I submit blank paper" when the result came out he had 6 COs (carry overs).

Again, I offered to help. I did all his assignments, encourage him to write something in all his test, He improved on his CA and others except for reading as I told him to at list write some thing down.even if it means coping from someone siting next to him without getting caught, I'm not encouraging exam malpractice but he needed help urgently.

Now here's my major challenge and concern, Since January this year, I have used Queen's Premier, used other English materials, vowel and consonant sound

The only thing he's been able to read are just few two letter words. Thought I was the problem, so I lied to a friend who happens to be a lecturer that the guy needs help, and that he's finding it hard to understand his books. The lecturer agreed to help but later told the guy not to come again as the guy is still not getting any thing.

Please, help.... the guy want to learn but I don't know what exactly could be the problem.

Inputs please, I anticipate your wise advice.
Thanks.

you are such a good friend, very selfless indeed. Jesus continue to reward you in all that is yours.

he needs phonics, with phonics he is good to go. even the impaired are doing well this, I could have being of help though I don't know you distance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Jayslyder: 7:27am On Jul 05, 2021
Dyslexia and Dysgraphia are learning disabilities characterized by problems with writing and comprehension..It's a neurological disorder that can affect children or adults. In addition to writing words that are difficult to read...there are therapeutic methods and treatments for this that aids learning as some of them are even geniuses in their own right..but sadly we're in Nigeria so they're either deemed dullards or bewitched

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by ochebado: 8:15am On Jul 05, 2021
lambszy:
Good morning guys,

I have tried everything possible within my capacity to help this guy but to no avail.
My friend is 22 and currently in one of the federal polytechnic here in Nigeria. This guy can speak good english well but the problem is he can not read nor write, the only thing he can write down is his name and Reg. No.

Last year, before first semester exam. I noticed that this guy is always avoiding conversation that involves reading or studying. I never saw him read, not even once. We are neighbours and friends.

I just decided to take it upon myself to find out what was wrong as I know, he is a good person but hiding something. So I offered to be helping him with his assignments and handout summary to my amazement the guy find it hard to read what I smartly asked him to. He refused to admit that he can't read, probably he was a shame to admit it, so I let him be.

He, then finally opens up to me about him not been able to read and write. Of course, this was after first semesters exam and I had to perster him before he was able to tell me of his secret. How have you been writing the exam then? I asked, he said "I submit blank paper" when the result came out he had 6 COs (carry overs).

Again, I offered to help. I did all his assignments, encourage him to write something in all his test, He improved on his CA and others except for reading as I told him to at list write some thing down.even if it means coping from someone siting next to him without getting caught, I'm not encouraging exam malpractice but he needed help urgently.

Now here's my major challenge and concern, Since January this year, I have used Queen's Premier, used other English materials, vowel and consonant sound

The only thing he's been able to read are just few two letter words. Thought I was the problem, so I lied to a friend who happens to be a lecturer that the guy needs help, and that he's finding it hard to understand his books. The lecturer agreed to help but later told the guy not to come again as the guy is still not getting any thing.

Please, help.... the guy want to learn but I don't know what exactly could be the problem.

Thanks.

village people have shake his calabash

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by vickydevoka(m): 8:16am On Jul 05, 2021
lambszy:
Good morning guys,

Thanks.
Dem plenty for my school. That Year. Especially gals. Gloria go de speak like white people buh will still get 0/10. Innocent go speak like professor answer questions for class buh still get F9

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by cybriz82(m): 8:29am On Jul 05, 2021
UGBE634:
Mayweather own na too much blow to the head cause am

Lol nah even before he became a boxer..there re so many of them like that evn rappers...
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by IMAliyu(m): 9:03am On Jul 05, 2021
Man may have dyslexia.
Although it's not like we have facilities readily available to diagnose this kind of thing in this country.

Don't be surprised with how he was able to get this far. I used to find it hard to read throughout my primary school, that's how I hated the English subject and preferred maths.
But I still managed to get into JSS. That's around the time my parents found and out and hired a lesson teacher specifically to teach me how to read.
And it was around that same time coincidentally social media (2go) was trending in my school and that was largely responsible for accelerating my learning process as I needed to read and type to use it.

Although to this day, I can't read a full paragraph out loud without stutter, and occasionally I write something, only to come back and discover a ton of typos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by IMAliyu(m): 9:10am On Jul 05, 2021
venatus25:
Don't just help by listing words and their spelling, he won't be able to remember all the spellings.
In this very case you need take him back to the fundamental which include the 26 letter of the alphabet which comprises of the 5 vowels and 21 consonants, teach him the sound each vowel and consonant carries and how they are being combined to produce a unique sound or word.
After this is done you can proceed to giving him example of words when combined by starting with two letter words then upgrade gradually to more letters word and also show him how to seperate letters when trying to pronounce complex letter words, example: mo-bi-li-za-tion, ca-me-ra, etc. Don't be in hurry, ensure he fully understand each step before proceedings to another step. If he is living in or could visit Akwa ibom state, I will personally volunteer to help him out at lease for a day.
Yeah that's the way.
He needs to be taught to associate sounds, with the alphabet characters. And some of the anomalies in the English language, like how "ph" & "ugh" sounds like "f"
Some of what I personally experienced difficulty with in the past.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by ogascomax: 9:30am On Jul 05, 2021
He needs a miracle. The word of God can correct all issues. All kinds of disorderliness.
He needs what I called a confession therapy.
Tell him to always make positive confession like.
I have a sound mind, I can read and write. I have a teachable spirit. I can understand all things. I have knowledge, I know all things. I always remember what I read. Reading should come with meditation or reflection. He should try and be remembering what he has read time to time. He should memorize them and confess or speak those words out. The last thing he needs to be born again and be filled with the Holy Spirit. The Spirit of God can bring things into his remembrance. The changes will be sudden. That is the miracle that he needs.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by yusuff2019(m): 9:45am On Jul 05, 2021
How did he manage to pass waec , jamb and post Utme exam���

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by dochenaj: 9:48am On Jul 05, 2021
bigtt76:
Is he a born again? Na dem sabi speak all big big grammar but can't read or write cheesy
What's your beef with born again people?
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Mandy1414: 10:04am On Jul 05, 2021
Oh dear! Well done for spotting that out.
Adults or Teens hardly tell anyone they can neither read nor write.

I am an educationist and we run a reading hub specifically for Teen ls and Adults who find it difficult to read.

Since he is in school, he can choose the option of Online tutoring.

You can reach MandyHeart Reading Hub via 09#063@939d9b

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by thinkmoney(m): 10:06am On Jul 05, 2021
lambszy:
Good morning guys,

Thanks.

It's nothing strange really. There is a disease that makes it hard for some very few people to be able to read. I have forgotten the name, just research it

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Mandy1414: 10:09am On Jul 05, 2021
Enrol him at MandyHeart Reading Hub
Contact Mandy via 090fc9c949b

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Shollay20(m): 10:13am On Jul 05, 2021
practice makes perfection. let him start from tense.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by kemjoe: 11:13am On Jul 05, 2021
He suffering from dyslexia - a general term for disorders that involve difficulty in learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols, but that do not affect general intelligence.
With help and patience, he can overcome it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by rapheal5(m): 11:23am On Jul 05, 2021
lambszy:
Good morning guys,

Thanks.

Ask him what does he want to become in future �, not everything should be link to spiritual, it's obvious his foundation is weak. My advise is he should quit school for learning skills...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by toprealman: 11:40am On Jul 05, 2021
lambszy:
Good morning guys,

Thanks.

He could be suffering from a chronic eye defect.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
[s]
Eastcoastboy:

The fact still remains that, that guy needs help. There's no two way about it. And leaving him like that does not bring Nigeria into light ages. That's just it. Just encourage whoever is helping him that's it.
[/s]

TRASH!!!
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by fekeoshomoshi: 12:53pm On Jul 05, 2021
i know of a man in his mid-forties with similar issue, he speaks good English fluently but cannot read or write perfectly. Can such person enroll in an adult school? your suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you NLs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by winner37(m): 12:58pm On Jul 05, 2021
Bros can you hear me ? How did he pass his WASCE ?
how did he pass his jamb ?
How did he even gain the admission to poly ?

Am waiting for those answers in my office

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 05, 2021
drakeli:
. Haaaaaas!!!!! But you can’t read na. How you fit read say Na your matter dey here grin angry grin grin
i just pretend for the guy ni o,now see where he brought my matter.

1 Like

Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by lambszy(m): 4:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
Thanks...
venatus25:
Re: He Speaks English Well But Can Not Read And Write by lambszy(m): 4:38pm On Jul 05, 2021
Thanks I appreciate.
SEGLIZ:

you are such a good friend, very selfless indeed. Jesus continue to reward you in all that is yours.

he needs phonics, with phonics he is good to go. even the impaired are doing well this, I could have being of help though I don't know you distance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 7 Most Popular Confraternities (cult Groups) In Nigeria And Their History. / Help!!! My Friend Made 2.2 And She's Been Misbehaving.. / Kaduna Teachers’ Competency Test: The Untold Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.