Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,927 members, 7,821,246 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience (65090 Views)

Have You Listened To Tinubu Addressing An Audience Lately? Really Terrible / Ojukwu Lighted Up Cigarette, Smoked At Aburi, Ghana Meeting (Video) / Tension As Osibanjo Slept Off As Oshiomole Was Addressing APC Chieftains- PIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by simplesearch: 9:11am On Jul 09, 2021
So much for a religion that allows smoking but frown at drinking, what's the difference between both?
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by Bahamas95(m): 9:13am On Jul 09, 2021
I thought they said Muslims don't smoke/drink alcohol? undecided

Anyways I enjoyed listening to him speak, I even played the video twice.
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by akdjr(m): 9:15am On Jul 09, 2021
Those who gang up to kill him are facing the repercussion of their actions now. quote author=bolayei post=103514541]This man was worth being PM. He didn't deserve to be killed. [/quote]
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by FemiMaduka(m): 9:15am On Jul 09, 2021
OmoManU:

So apt, just like the then PM, this poster writes with much vigor and knowledge, me like you already. To the topic at hand, the Ibo people really set us back a lot in this country and now they're still the one shouting Biafra up, down and everywhere..... fact is someone should be brave enough and tell those people the truth

You're such a fool. A coup that had participants from both North and South, and even a Yoruba in its inner core, and was staged so that Awolowo may be installed as Prime Minister cannot be said to be an ethnic coup. Those guys were idealists and revolutionaries. Nzeogwu was a crass nationalist (as attested to by people like Obasanjo, Babangida et'al who knew him), a purist of a soldier; a teetotaler and a pious Catholic, never did women.

Yes, Tafawa Balewa spoke good English and he was generally likable, but his involvements in the events that plunged the Western region (and the country) into a vicious crisis remain a dent on his personality. He was more or less a stooge of the Sardauna who only saw Nigeria from the lenses of the North. They both engineered the AG Crisis in the Western region for devious sectional goals...

Go and read books and cure your ignorance:
~Reluctant Rebel (Fola Oyewole).
~ Why We Struck (Ademola Ademoyega).
~ Oil, Politics and Violence...(Max Siollun).
~ My Command (Olusegun Obasanjo).

N.B.: be instructed that Ademola Ademoyega was one of the chief-conspirators (Five Majors) in the coup. Also, Obasanjo was Nzeogwu's best friend. He knew him inside-out.

The coupists inadvertently made mistakes and bungled the whole thing. One thing is clear: it was a nationalistic revolution, but it ran into its own problems.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by juwoonn(m): 9:16am On Jul 09, 2021
Watch again. The man that sat beside him knew it was not appropriate, but there was nothing he could do... look at the way he looked at him.
EmptyGarden:
Chai! Aboki na Aboki!
Funny how no one seem to care.

1 Like

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by MiniImportation: 9:16am On Jul 09, 2021
BizzBizz:
A viral throwback video shows the moment Former Nigeria's President, Sir Shehu Shagari Lights up a cigarette while Nigeria's first and only Prime Minister, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa is addressing an audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpX2f4qBszc
learn to give credit to the source and stop Being stupid for pennies.
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by gawu1: 9:17am On Jul 09, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:
They were intellectuals who are well grounded and brilliant, teaching job those days is more prestigious than today and the teaching jobs were taken by smart people like them for strategic reasons.

Imagine these leaders, especially Sardauna, getting our neighbouring countries then as far back early 60s when we were barely a republic o, to agree not to dam the River Niger so we can build ours and these countries, they all signed up to it!. This is a task current day Ethiopia could not achieve with Egypt and Sudan that it's been taken to UN with Egypt threatening grave repercussions if Ethiopia still plans to fill the grand renaissance dam in Ethiopia with water from the blue Nile river.

Below's a textbook authored by late Shehu Shagari but most people don't know that these guys are intellectuals as well . How many teachers those days or present day politicians like Sowore et al write textbooks for students? Yet the same late Shehu Shagari smoking in the video wrote probably more than one educational textbook and published, this one below is a textbook on Geography and History of Nigeria in Verse that was published just after Nigeria's civil war.
https://www.abebooks.com/signed/Wakar-Nijeriya-Shehu-Shagari-Jean-Boyd/30804939786/bd

Our heroes past shall not be in vain. God bless Nigeria.
''...especially Sardauna, getting our neighbouring countries then as far back early 60s when we were barely a republic o, to agree not to dam the River Niger so we can build ours and these countries, they all signed up to it!. This is a task current day Ethiopia could not achieve with Egypt and Sudan that it's been taken to UN with Egypt threatening grave repercussions if Ethiopia still plans to fill the grand renaissance dam in Ethiopia with water from the blue Nile river.''

I can tell you, this and other more are reasons Nigeria is considered giant of the continent. We citizens sometimes undermine these great strides as if they are nothing while leaders of other countries and their citizens acknowledge them with greatness and want to be like us.
Yesterday, when I heard the Sudanese Foreign Minister making reference with that I was so proud of myself being a Nigerian once more.
It very unfortunate that we have some people around these days who are bend on destroying the country just because of their own selfish and ulterior motives. They would always tell you the country is not working but how would the country work while some are working to pull down the same country.
God bless Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by Positivepoint(m): 9:18am On Jul 09, 2021
BizzBizz:
A viral throwback video shows the moment Former Nigeria's President, Sir Shehu Shagari Lights up a cigarette while Nigeria's first and only Prime Minister, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa is addressing an audience

This is shehu musa yaradua pls correct ur headline.
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by thaoriginator: 9:20am On Jul 09, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:
They were intellectuals who are well grounded and brilliant, teaching job those days is more prestigious than today and the teaching jobs were taken by smart people like them for strategic reasons.

Imagine these leaders, especially Sardauna, getting our neighbouring countries then as far back early 60s when we were barely a republic o, to agree not to dam the River Niger so we can build ours and these countries, they all signed up to it!. This is a task current day Ethiopia could not achieve with Egypt and Sudan that it's been taken to UN with Egypt threatening grave repercussions if Ethiopia still plans to fill the grand renaissance dam in Ethiopia with water from the blue Nile river.

Below's a textbook authored by late Shehu Shagari but most people don't know that these guys are intellectuals as well . How many teachers those days or present day politicians like Sowore et al write textbooks for students? Yet the same late Shehu Shagari smoking in the video wrote probably more than one educational textbook and published, this one below is a textbook on Geography and History of Nigeria in Verse that was published just after Nigeria's civil war.
https://www.abebooks.com/signed/Wakar-Nijeriya-Shehu-Shagari-Jean-Boyd/30804939786/bd

Our heroes past shall not be in vain. God bless Nigeria.
Please, can i download..
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 09, 2021
naptu2:
I used to stay up late at night to watch his speeches on New Year's Eve. Years later, someone that worked at the NTA told me that they used to take smoking breaks when they were recording the speeches, so that the president could smoke.

Naptu you must be in your 60s or 70s.

Regards.

1 Like

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by obiekunie01: 9:20am On Jul 09, 2021
naptu2:
I used to stay up late at night to watch his speeches on New Year's Eve. Years later, someone that worked at the NTA told me that they used to take smoking breaks when they were recording the speeches, so that the president could smoke.

oboy!

this guy u go don reach 70 years be that!

and i dey even think say all us na 78 levels we be!

respect man!

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by ibietela2(m): 9:20am On Jul 09, 2021
BizzBizz:

So Shagari was there... Na rotation we dey for this country
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by FarahAideed: 9:20am On Jul 09, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:

I guess you smoke cigarettes too and you are only trying to justify reasons to do so right ? Are you aware he stopped smoking maybe at sometime ? Did you live with him ? You think body systems react same way? Well, better stop before it becomes too late. Health is Wealth.
I don't smoke ...I am a fitness buff who even lives off a cave man diet and in great health condition
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by ibietela2(m): 9:21am On Jul 09, 2021
bolayei:
This man was worth being PM. He didn't deserve to be killed.

And awolowo deserve to be in prison?
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 09, 2021
obiekunie01:

talking dumb trash as usual.

always trying to raise ethnic division!

You are the dumb one here who cannot reason beyond ethnic sentiments

1 Like

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by Tedassie(m): 9:23am On Jul 09, 2021
Mikecold:
Is cigarettes not supposed to be Haram to Muslims?

Is it not morally unrighteous as an habit?

Is it not an intoxicant/stimulant that changes ones behavioral pattern?

Is it not primarily a western culture?

Does it not harm the health of a smoker?

So why do Muslims feel cool with cigarettes but condenm alcohol
Lol. You dey mind those ones. Go to the North they consume narcotics (hard drugs) like it's water! Alcohol? They hide it in their kettle after their Jumat they drink it �
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by Geeman2006: 9:24am On Jul 09, 2021
Mikecold:
Is cigarettes not supposed to be Haram to Muslims?

Is it not morally unrighteous as an habit?

Is it not an intoxicant/stimulant that changes ones behavioral pattern?

Is it not primarily a western culture?

Does it not harm the health of a smoker?

So why do Muslims feel cool with cigarettes but condenm alcohol

How is cigarette an intoxicant? Anything Muslim or North , must you open your mouth undecided. Cigarette an intoxicant... I'm laffin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by ibietela2(m): 9:24am On Jul 09, 2021
amuwo1980:
What on earth made those boys kill this man ?

Go and study your history you will know. Start with WHY WE STRUCK

1 Like

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by PAWG(m): 9:24am On Jul 09, 2021
owobokiri:
The Prime Minister sounded very intelligent tho..

My brother, I weak o. Looks r really deceptive

2 Likes

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by blacknoir: 9:25am On Jul 09, 2021
FarahAideed:
Shagari lived till his 90s yet some people will come and say cigarettes killed Davidos PA
Everybody is different ,some people get lung cancer and other health challenges after smoking for few years some never get cancer.its similar to drinking or having unprotected sex ,some get std or pregnant others don't , the best thing to do is abstain or try to do it in moderatn but I prefer the former
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by swarley75(m): 9:28am On Jul 09, 2021
How did Nothern Nigeria went from Tafa Balewa to Muhammadu Buhari?

2 Likes

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by Babalola0920: 9:29am On Jul 09, 2021
MAY GOD BLESS HIS SOUL AMIN
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by FarahAideed: 9:33am On Jul 09, 2021
blacknoir:

Everybody is different ,some people get lung cancer and other health challenges after smoking for few years some never get cancer.its similar to drinking or having unprotected sex ,some get std or pregnant others don't , the best thing to do is abstain or try to do it in moderatn but I prefer the former

Well cigarettes on it's own can't cause cancer but that's another discuss for another day
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by jlomz: 9:34am On Jul 09, 2021
Jlow2:
good English is not intelligence

Same way you guys ridicule Northerners today labelling them unintelligent because they aren't that coherent with the English language.

Southerners and double standards at times...

2 Likes

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by 49cents(m): 9:35am On Jul 09, 2021
heniford2:
All of them have nothing upstairs

You are the one with nothing upstairs.

This PM sounds very intelligent

2 Likes

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by Ewedegubbler: 9:36am On Jul 09, 2021
Very fluent and eloquent man.
The black prince of Africa. When the Term ‘Sir” had a meaning.

I still don’t understand why Nzeogwu and his band of idiots murdered him.

3 Likes

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by Tedassie(m): 9:38am On Jul 09, 2021
Carlyscales:

Nope

Alcohol instead!
Story! Story
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by owobokiri(m): 9:38am On Jul 09, 2021
Patriotic9ja:

The guy was actually very very very intelligent and eloquent.....

So why was he involved in the carnage going on in the west at this period?
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by ibietela2(m): 9:39am On Jul 09, 2021
owobokiri:

Yeah! Igbo coup!
What about Dimkas, Buhari and Orkas coup?
Those ones are Hutu, Zulu and Mandinga coups?
Igbo coup Kee u dia..

Don't mind the idiots

2 Likes

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by maj007(m): 9:42am On Jul 09, 2021
owobokiri:
The Prime Minister sounded very intelligent tho..

The most intelligent and eloquent Nigerian leader so far.

He was nicknamed THE GOLDEN VOICE OF AFRICE.

Check online for his speeches.

1 Like

Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by Frankbaro(m): 9:45am On Jul 09, 2021
FarahAideed:
Shagari lived till his 90s yet some people will come and say cigarettes killed Davidos PA

Body no be d same. What works for one might not work for the other
Re: Shagari Lighted A Cigarette, Smoked While The PM Was Addressing An Audience by AmuRubber(m): 9:46am On Jul 09, 2021
Femmyfestus:
60% of muslim in abuja smokes like crazy.
The great Statistician!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

James Ibori Arrives Oghara In Delta State, Welcomed By Crowd (Photos) / Own Goal: LP's Badly Designed Logo Has Disfranchised Them / Simon Lalong, Plateau Governor-elect Refuses To Move Into N15b Government House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.