Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? (22302 Views)

Are People Doing Polygamy Going To Hell Fire? / Pastor Stopped From Conducting Naming Ceremony In Ondo Over Coronavirus / Pastor Jeremiah Godman Iziduh Impregnates Widow's 2 Daughters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by BaEnki(m): 12:36pm On Jul 11, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Mistake? The thesaurus clearly tells you that the word "Delicate" and "feeble" are synonyms, and you are still yapping on about what again? undecided

Please go waste someone else's time with this ridiculousness ojare! undecided

Are you trolling or being serious here? does a word being the synonym of others make them 100% the same? A synonym can be an exact word or nearly the same word, in other words, they aren't 100% the same.

Synonyms of man may include “male”, “guy”, etc. Can they be used interchangeably in all sentences? And are they factually the same in all contexts?

Please stop the unnecessary arguments.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by ilebaye2017(m): 12:38pm On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:
I know a pretty Delilah. The last I heard of her she slept with her best friend's husband on their wedding night birthing triplets nine months later..

That said girls with other names have done worse. A neighbour called Ruth killed her husband with acid. Yet the biblical Ruth was a virtuous woman.

Delilah means delicate in both Hebrew and Arabic. Once a not very popular name because of the biblical character Delilah many parents now look pass the biblical stigma. In the US it has griown to become one of the top names starting with D.

Off record Anini wasn't named Barnabas yet the difference between him and a rat was the position of the tail.. Upbringing and environment affect people more than the names the bear. Many people called Jesus in Southern America dont know the name of the first book of the Bible..
I like your style of writing. So interesting and sound great.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by shesawesome(f): 12:39pm On Jul 11, 2021
mariodko190:
This question has been ringing in my head, the fact that she doesn't have a good record in the Bible, what other reasons people are afraid
They believe the name might follow you
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by GThunder: 12:52pm On Jul 11, 2021
Wahala for black man
White man bears "Kane" imagine now he's doing wonder

1 Like

Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Munzy14(m): 12:52pm On Jul 11, 2021
But forget o, Women have been doing things back to the bible days o...grin

See Delilah, Jezebel, Rebecca weh collabo with Jacob run Esau street...grin.

The other that bathed in the open close to David's house..

I have forgotten the ones that got their father drunk and later taa ya vamvam...

Anyway, without them life go dey boring.

Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by 1Sharon(f): 1:07pm On Jul 11, 2021
Contango:

Lol. Same reason people don't name their children Lucifer even though it has a good meaing..."bringer of light"

I know a Lucifer
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by APOSTLECHUMA: 1:08pm On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:

All this Ignorant Apostles..
Was she not an idol worshipping palestinian and are palestinians not descendants of Ishmael. If they are, what is their religion today ? Is it christianity or islam ? If islam, why are u offended that your idol worshippr sister in faith, was the one who seduced an anointed servant of God. Dagon was their god and where samson killed over 3000 of the idol worshippers was in Gaza and where is Gaza today, my educated heathen friend?
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by descarado: 1:08pm On Jul 11, 2021
Who told you that?
You guys think that this world started and ended in Nigeria, right?

The same way people in Latin America answers Jesus like you answer Chris and emeka or bola.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by petra1(m): 1:13pm On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:

Delilah means Delicate.. You sound as though her parents named
her feeble for the sole purpose of encountering Samson. The act accured after she had been born and named..

Names are prophetic in bible days
janez means sorrow and he suffered. jacob means swindler and he swindled.

1 Like

Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by petra1(m): 1:15pm On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:

Very funny. That's all you know of the meaning of delicate. My wife is a very delicate woman..
After the surgery my once hardworking wife has become delicate.
Tell me how breakable she is from those sentences

if you read my post. the application of synonyms has to do with contex
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by aragonchuks(m): 1:16pm On Jul 11, 2021
Kobojunkie:
In Africa, it has to do with ignorance really. There are plenty of females with "Delilah" for a name elsewhere who share nothing in common with the biblical dame of the same name. undecided
yes , I have met both Delilah and jezebel here in America , both are Hispanic
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by APOSTLECHUMA: 1:20pm On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:

All this Ignorant Apostles..
DELILAH WAS FROM GAZA AND GAZA IS IN PRESENT DAY PALESTINE. IF SHE WERE TO BE ON EARTH TODAY, SHE WIL BE YOUR SISTER IN FAITH IN YOUR IDOL WORSHIP RELIGION BECAUSE PRESENT DAY PALESTINIANS ARE MUSLIMS. WHERE DID THIS OFFEND MY EDUCATED HEATHEN FRIEND ?
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by grandlexuz(m): 1:21pm On Jul 11, 2021
petra1:

Names are prophetic in bible days
janez means sorrow and he suffered. jacob means swindler and he swindled.

Chai nairaland has got it all..Tell me more about the meaning of Jacob..Swindler translated from your dialect or am I missing something...
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by LZAA: 1:23pm On Jul 11, 2021
Same reason parents (obviously Christian) are not naming their daughters jezebel
Seun please work on your mods so they can bring reasonable contents to fp
Not if person kill snake we see it on FP
No sane person wants to see snake killed on FP
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by grandlexuz(m): 1:30pm On Jul 11, 2021
APOSTLECHUMA:
DELILAH WAS FROM GAZA AND GAZA IS IN PRESENT DAY PALESTINE. IF SHE WERE TO BE ON EARTH TODAY, SHE WIL BE YOUR SISTER IN FAITH IN YOUR IDOL WORSHIP RELIGION BECAUSE PRESENT DAY PALESTINIANS ARE MUSLIMS. WHERE DID THIS OFFEND MY EDUCATED HEATHEN FRIEND ?

Lets talk bible Sir. What passage again in the bible is Delilah mentioned as coming from Gaza.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Cnach: 1:34pm On Jul 11, 2021
mariodko190:
This question has been ringing in my head, the fact that she doesn't have a good record in the Bible, what other reasons people are afraid
Parents already knew they are Delilahs, so need of naming them such individually. Is their common noun
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by grandlexuz(m): 1:36pm On Jul 11, 2021
petra1:

if you read my post. the application of synonyms has to do with contex

Still many translations translate Delilah into weakened, delicate..
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by redsun(m): 2:02pm On Jul 11, 2021
Why do you have to name your children after Jewish, Arab or English names as Africans? How many of these foreign indoctrinators bear African names?

Using foreign names makes you muderfuckers look like pets that see named by their masters and owners. And that is why you act like pets in reality, with no sense of your own and direction.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Aarenasbaba(m): 2:08pm On Jul 11, 2021
Fahdiga:
Is your daughter's name Delilah?
grin
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by adedamola777: 2:11pm On Jul 11, 2021
mariodko190:

Delilah Cotto, Puerto Rican American actress, dancer and model

Delilah S. Dawson (born 1977), American fantasy and science fiction writer

Delilah DiCrescenzo (born 1983), American distance runner

Delilah Gore (born 1962), Papua New Guinean politician

Delila Hatuel (born 1980), Israeli fencer

Delilah Montoya, (born 1955), American contemporary artist and educator

Delilah Pierce (1904–1992), African-American artist, curator and educator

Delilah Rene, better known simply as Delilah(born 1960), American radio personality

Readers are leaders
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by cardoctor(m): 2:11pm On Jul 11, 2021
Ask Samson
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by SmartyPants(m): 2:11pm On Jul 11, 2021
petra1:

Delicate means breakable easily broken..feeble mean"WEAK. no.strenght

a plate is strong but delicate . but it is not weak.

but a feeble person refers to weak in strenght

read the verses i posted in other translations

Hebrews 12:12 KJV
12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees

Hebrews 12:12 (NLT)
12 So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees

Delicate and feeble mean the same exact thing but are used in different contexts.

When speaking of something weak but with a positive connotation, you would say delicate, and when negative feeble.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Joetttimua1811(m): 2:11pm On Jul 11, 2021
You can start oooo, abi you too no be parent
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Hassanmaye(m): 2:26pm On Jul 11, 2021
Bahamas95:
IT BEGINS WITH YOU.

Name your daughter Delilah, others will follow.
grin grin
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Odogwu46: 2:29pm On Jul 11, 2021
Delilah too far, you can't name your son Abacha
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Hassanmaye(m): 2:31pm On Jul 11, 2021
tillaman:
Delilah � That Name turns me on, if you know any Delilah or Jezebel please point them to my direction I have a message for them
Haha
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Johel(m): 2:34pm On Jul 11, 2021
mariodko190:

She killed a great man...no one would want such name close to their family atall...Delilah stands for greed and deceit.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Gambit23: 2:37pm On Jul 11, 2021
Bahamas95:
IT BEGINS WITH YOU.

Name your daughter Delilah, others will follow.

People in USA n europe answer delilah as a name. It is stupid religious African Christians that avoids naming their children with such a beautiful name
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by homealone00: 2:50pm On Jul 11, 2021
Why una no name una pikin Goliath? shocked
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by IdeasPro(m): 2:53pm On Jul 11, 2021
mariodko190:
Let it start from you now.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by nijanigga: 2:53pm On Jul 11, 2021
Here in Yankee I listens to radio Delilah and Delilah is her real name.you can Google radio Delilah. Only in Nigeria people worry about names,but oyinbos don't care. I know of one Crabtree.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by APOSTLECHUMA: 2:58pm On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:

Lets talk bible Sir. What passage again in the bible is Delilah mentioned as coming from Gaza.
READ JUDGES 16 AND U WIL SEE GAZA THERE BUT FOR CLEARER UNDERSTANDING, U CAN ALSO READ CHAPTERS 14 AND 15 AS WELL AND U WIL SEE THAT THE WHOLE THING WAS AS A RESULT OF A DEBACLE BETWEEN ISRAELITES AND THE PEOPLE OF PHILISTINE, WHO ARE THE PALESTINIANS OF TODAY. THE WHOLE THING TOOK PLACE IN THE PROVINCE OF GAZA AND GAZA IS STIL ON EARTH TODAY. THE PROBLEM B/W ISRAEL AND PALESTINIANS BEGAN THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO AND WIL SOON CONSUME THE 3RD PART OF HUMANITY (OVER 2BILLION LIVES) GLOBALLY WHEN ISRAEL DESTROY AL AQSA MOSQUE IN EAST JERUSALEM IN THEIR BID TO BUILD THE 3RD JEWISH TEMPLE. THE GLOBAL RELIGIOUS WAR THAT WIL ERUPT WHEN THE MOSQUE GOES DOWN, WIL BE LED BY RUSSIA, CHINA AND IRAN AND THESE NATIONS ARE ALREADY IN ISRAEL'S BACK YARD IN SYRIA. EVEN THE MIGHTY AMERICA WIL BE TURNED INTO RADIO ACTIVE ASHES BY RUSSIA FOR ITS SUPPORT TO ISRAEL. BIBLE SAID IT ALL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

61st Independence: Primate Ayodele Releases Prophetic Messages / Six Important Things Every Christain Nigerian Youth Should Avoid . / Do You Believe In Life After Death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.