Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,705 members, 7,820,463 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? (22296 Views)

Are People Doing Polygamy Going To Hell Fire? / Pastor Stopped From Conducting Naming Ceremony In Ondo Over Coronavirus / Pastor Jeremiah Godman Iziduh Impregnates Widow's 2 Daughters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Kobojunkie: 1:41pm On Jul 12, 2021
capacino:
Only in 9ja, I have a Ghanaian friend who bears that name Delilah
Psst .... before the invasion of religion in Nigeria, I knew some Delilah's in Nigeria too. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by petra1(m): 7:27am On Jul 18, 2021
grandlexuz:

Chai nairaland has got it all..Tell me more about the meaning of Jacob..Swindler
translated from your dialect or am I missing something...

You can ask nicely you dont have to be silly.

Gen 27:35 — Gen 27:36 (NKJV)
35 But he said, “Your brother came with deceit and has taken away your blessing.”
36 And Esau said, “Is he not rightly named Jacob? For he has supplanted me these two times He took away my birthright, and now look, he has taken away my blessing!” And he said, “Have you not reserved a blessing for me?”

1 Like

Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by grandlexuz(m): 7:56am On Jul 18, 2021
petra1:

You can ask nicely you dont have to be silly.

Gen 27:35 — Gen 27:36 (NKJV)
35 But he said, “Your brother came with deceit and has taken away your blessing.”
36 And Esau said, “Is he not rightly named Jacob? For he has supplanted me these two times He took away my birthright, and now look, he has taken away my blessing!” And he said, “Have you not reserved a blessing for me?”

You are right. I should have asked nicely without being silly. My sincere apologies.

Back to the topic I doubt the meaning of Jacob is swindler. Both Esau and Jacob were named according to their circumstances of birth...

Genesis 25: 24
When the time came for her to give birth, there were twin boys in her womb. The first to come out was red, and his whole body was like a hairy garment; so they named him Esau. After this, his brother came out, with his hand grasping Esau’s heel; so he was named Jacob. Isaac was sixty years old when Rebekah gave birth to them.

So Jacob loosely translates to heel holder. That said looking at the bigger picture reaching out for his brothers heels means he wanted to be born first. So yes in way swindler could be correct..
Thank You..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

61st Independence: Primate Ayodele Releases Prophetic Messages / Six Important Things Every Christain Nigerian Youth Should Avoid . / Do You Believe In Life After Death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.