Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? (22248 Views)

Are People Doing Polygamy Going To Hell Fire? / Pastor Stopped From Conducting Naming Ceremony In Ondo Over Coronavirus / Pastor Jeremiah Godman Iziduh Impregnates Widow's 2 Daughters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by wamide042(m): 11:11am On Jul 11, 2021
What of Goliath …
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Honesty36(m): 11:13am On Jul 11, 2021
Righteousness2:
It is For the same reason your dad didn't name your Sisters Jezebel..

Names are Symbolic and Spiritual. The Name you bare could have deep impact in you.

Abeg make I hear word , u don come again , even PATIENCE no get patient
HOPE no get hope

Lights up my kpoli in peace
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by grandlexuz(m): 11:14am On Jul 11, 2021
chubarubah:
The names we give our children matters a lot.
Names have a serious part to play in our lives as an individual. So choose a good name for your children

Stop deceiving yourself.. Upbringing and environment moulds a man..The guy terrorising my neighbourhood is called Abraham.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by CALCULUS16: 11:15am On Jul 11, 2021
mariodko190:
Yes I’m planning to
also plan to name ur child pharaoh methusella goliath cheesy if u give birth to a boy, u knw people have nt been naming their sons that
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by richie240: 11:18am On Jul 11, 2021
.....and how many 'people' have u met o jare?
cool

mariodko190:
This question has been ringing in my head, the fact that she doesn't have a good record in the Bible, what other reasons people are afraid

Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by harmony75: 11:20am On Jul 11, 2021
That's true even the so called luminati will still use Sweet names to deceive people
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Offpoint1: 11:22am On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:
I know a pretty Delilah. The last I heard of her she slept with her best friend's husband on their wedding night birthing triplets nine months later..

That said girls with other names have done worse. A neighbour called Ruth killed her husband with acid. Yet the biblical Ruth was a virtuous woman.

Delilah means delicate in both Hebrew and Arabic. Once a not very popular name because of the biblical character Delilah many parents now look pass the biblical stigma. In the US it has griown to become one of the top names starting with D.

Off record Anini wasn't named Barnabas yet the difference between him and a rat was the position of the tail.. Upbringing and environment affect people more than the names the bear. Many people called Jesus in Southern America dont know the name of the first book of the Bible..
You're the few reasonable people in Nigeria... The damage religion has done to Africans can't be repair.

I think people need to graduate at least from Secondary school before they are introduced to religion.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Incandescent(m): 11:24am On Jul 11, 2021
Ask us after you name your son goliath
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by jnrbayano(m): 11:25am On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:

Very funny. That's all you know of the meaning of delicate. My wife is a very delicate woman..
After the surgery my once hardworking wife has become delicate.
Tell me how breakable she is from those sentences

grin
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by jnrbayano(m): 11:26am On Jul 11, 2021
TOPCRUISE:
Delilah is a slay queen name like Jezzy Baby

grin
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Odidigboigbo(m): 11:26am On Jul 11, 2021
The same question goes to you OP, why will you be elated and be delighted to answer if someone called a Lion but angry if they call you a goat?
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by aribisala0(m): 11:28am On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:

Yet you labelled her Philistine despite knowing the bible didn't say where came from. If she was Philistine then the Philistine elders wouldn't need to pay her a bribe to get Samsung's secret. Afterall it would have been service to her people.

That said the bible didn't say she was Philistine so don't call her Philistine..

Yet you said she is FROM Sorek despite knowing the bible did not say that?
Did the Bible tell you that Sorek was NOT Philistine territory?

At no point did I say she was described as Philistine in the bible.

Your argument that because she was Philistine she would or should not have been paid is illogical
Why call it a "BRIBE" ? It was payment for services rendered
Was Judas not paid

I suggest you Google the word HISTORICITY you might learn something

let us get one thing straight
For me the bible is just a story /history book of the Hebrews . So me referencing the bible does not mean I accept it unquestioningly or that I even believe this story ever happened. I do not have that burden let us just assume for argument sake that it happened
Bible scholars are of the view that she was Philistine.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Offpoint1: 11:28am On Jul 11, 2021
Righteousness2:
It is For the same reason your dad didn't name your Sisters Jezebel..

Names are Symbolic and Spiritual. The Name you bare could have deep impact in you.
Yeah, there are robbers, prostitutes, killers bearing Joseph, Ruth, Mathew, Abraham and so on...

The only thing that impacts your life are your environment, family, friends, people you associate yourself and society you grew up in... Your name has ZERO impact in your life.

If you were born in Iraq you'll be slamming your head somewhere far away in the East...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by grandlexuz(m): 11:30am On Jul 11, 2021
aribisala0:

Yet you said she is FROM Sorek despite knowing the bible did not say that?
Did the Bible tell you that Sorek was NOT Philistine territory?

At no point did I say she was described as Philistine in the bible.

Your argument that because she was Philistine she would or should not have been paid is illogical
Was Judas not paid

I suggest you Google the word HISTORICITY you might learn something

let us get one thing straight
For me the bible is just a story /history book of the Hebrews . So me referencing the bible does not mean I accept it unquestioningly or that I even believe this story ever happened. I do not have that burden let us just assume for argument sake that it happened
Bible scholars are of the view that she was Philistine.

Lame...
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by aribisala0(m): 11:33am On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:

Lame...
What is your point? That she was from Sorek and she was Hebrew?
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by detectivejones: 11:34am On Jul 11, 2021
Do not generalise because there are many delilah scattered around the world
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by harmargedon: 11:36am On Jul 11, 2021
Which people.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by braunny(m): 11:37am On Jul 11, 2021
mansakhalifa:

Well, you haven't come across any. Now, that's what you should have said.

There are hundreds of girls out there going by that name.
very true
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by APOSTLECHUMA: 11:55am On Jul 11, 2021
THE NAME JACOB MEANS SUPPLANTER AND AS LONG AS JACOB THE TWIN BROTHER OF ESUA WAS JACOB, HE WAS A CROOK BECAUSE NAMES HAVE MEANINGS AND SPIRITS. CHECK THE WAY HE CHEATED HIS BRO ESAU AND THE WAY HE CHEATED HIS FATHER INLAW LABAN. BESIDES THOSE THAT OUGHT TO NAME THEIR DAUGHTERS DELILAH ARE NOT CHRISTIANS BUT MUSLIMS THE DESCENDANTS OF ISHMAEL BECAUSE THE WOMAN WAS A PALESTINIAN NOT AN ISRAELITE.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by tholhusomhie: 11:57am On Jul 11, 2021
U can bell the cat with ur daughter and ur son Judas or Satan. Stupid question on Sunday morning.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Goldbw122(m): 11:59am On Jul 11, 2021
That is a. Disgusting name just like Judas Iscariot, Goliath and many others, and it is not about the name sha, it is about the character and how the person control hos or her anger when he or she is face with situation.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by tejpot(m): 12:00pm On Jul 11, 2021
aribisala0:

What has synonyms got to do with names??

The Bible was not written in English

Delilah is an Anglicized form

"Delilah" the character in the Bible WAS NOT HEBREW she was a "Philistine"> We know that the Hebrews and Philistines were neighbours and they could communicate.
The Hebrew language was always under pressure from its neighbours and became extinct gradually
Jesus did not speak Hebrew. He spoke Aramaic. So we know that many Semites share a lot of manes in common but may have pronounced them differently e.g Yousef, Moshe, Abraham , Sulayman etc
The point of interest here is not anglicised names. The name Delilah has a Hebrew origin even though she is a Philistine. And there are equally a number of foreigners with Hebrew names too. It is also not clear if their was a language attributable to Philistia.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by phemmyfour: 12:03pm On Jul 11, 2021
mariodko190:
This question has been ringing in my head, the fact that she doesn't have a good record in the Bible, what other reasons people are afraid
Africans don't jokes with name and it's also biblical. The meaning of our names have a lot to do with who you ll eventually become
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by Ochjunior: 12:03pm On Jul 11, 2021
name giving to people doesn't matter, wot of people names dat are called Joseph Peter david John an etc are armrobbers kidnapers.so it doesn't matter all dat matters is 4 us to pray an ask god to help
us to live right
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by APOSTLECHUMA: 12:04pm On Jul 11, 2021
Muslims are the ones that are supposed to name their daughters Delilah not christians. Delilah was a palestinian, a descendant of Ishmeal like muslims of today.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by gozzy1988(m): 12:05pm On Jul 11, 2021
Change begins with you, you can ask APC.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by aribisala0(m): 12:16pm On Jul 11, 2021
tejpot:

The point of interest here is not anglicised names. The name Delilah has a Hebrew origin even though she is a Philistine. And there are equally a number of foreigners with Hebrew names too. It is also not clear if their was a language attributable to Philistia.
How do you know it has a Hebrew Origin

If a name can be anglicized why can't it be Semitized?
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by grandlexuz(m): 12:24pm On Jul 11, 2021
aribisala0:
What is your point? That she was from Sorek and she was Hebrew?

You said Delilah was Philistine and I asked for biblical evidence. You still have not been able to provide biblical evidence she was Philistine. I said she was from the valley of Sorek. You said Samson only met her there. True so. Yet the valley of Sorek was not philistine territory...

I said if she was Philistine the elders wouldn't need to approach her to pay 1100 pieces of shekel EACH to get Samson's secret. In Judges 14 when Samson gave a riddle to the Philistine all the needed to do to get the answers from his wife was threaten to burn their house.. A threat the followed through when Samson killed some Philistine as revenge for his wife given to another man..

You argued saying Judas also got paid for betraying Jesus. A very illogical argument. Unlike the Philistines coming up to Delilah to offer mouth watering bribe of 1100 shekels from each elder, Judas WENT to the chief priest to ask for how much he be paid if he handed up Jesus to them.
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by grandlexuz(m): 12:26pm On Jul 11, 2021
APOSTLECHUMA:
Muslims are the ones that are supposed to name their daughters Delilah not christians. Delilah was a palestinian, a descendant of Ishmeal like muslims of today.

All this Ignorant Apostles..
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by berrystunn(m): 12:27pm On Jul 11, 2021
mariodko190:

The Rev father will not accept that name
Re: Why Are People Not Naming Their Daughters “delilah” ? by templemount: 12:34pm On Jul 11, 2021
grandlexuz:
I know a pretty Delilah. The last I heard of her she slept with her best friend's husband on their wedding night birthing triplets nine months later..

That said girls with other names have done worse. A neighbour called Ruth killed her husband with acid. Yet the biblical Ruth was a virtuous woman.

Delilah means delicate in both Hebrew and Arabic. Once a not very popular name because of the biblical character Delilah many parents now look pass the biblical stigma. In the US it has griown to become one of the top names starting with D.

Off record Anini wasn't named Barnabas yet the difference between him and a rat was the position of the tail.. Upbringing and environment affect people more than the names the bear. Many people called Jesus in Southern America dont know the name of the first book of the Bible..
u have ssid it all.I wont bother to type again on this topic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atheists Protected By New Law That Obama Signed / Dr Benny Hinn Will Be In COZA Abuja On 1st November 2016 / “Any Girl Who Asks You For Transport Money Is A Useless Girl” – Pastor Mildred

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.