Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,278 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? (21492 Views)

My Daughter Of 4+ Years Would Not Allow Me And Wife Have Sex At Night / Does My Brother's Wife Have The Right To Walk Me Out Of My Brother's House ? / Should Husband Not Often Call His Father In Law And Mother In Law For Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Lawrry(m): 9:00pm On Jul 10, 2021
What works for A May not work for B.
Every individual knows his/her partner better, than anyone.
Some were saying they are afraid of women etc, that they can't trust a woman, o.k, but do you eat her food? I am happy to tell you than she can kill you at anytime if you eat her food.
For me, since two years of marriage, we put the whole money together, and I'll give you( my wife)a simple instruction, "don't come to me to request for anything, you know where the money is.
I have peace like a river always, when there is no soup, food etc, she doesn't ask me, she knows where the money is, infact, infact when we want to execute projects, she does the transfer.
In fact,when I want to spend some big amount, she will be the one preaching to me to exercise patient because the money may not be enough before another one comes in, may be I should wait for some funds we are expecting to come in.
When she's buying something she tells me and when I am buying, I tell her.
Just understand and practice what works for your home.
For me o, we run things together.

6 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by izzou(m): 9:02pm On Jul 10, 2021
Nonexisting:
You will learn the hard way. I once had this mentality and later realized I was a fool when the daughter of Jezebel I called my girlfriend disappeared with my all my life savings. Latest news say the man she eloped to abroad with is now in prison and she is implicated in the whole thing too. If you marry a good woman which I believe doesn't exist anymore, make her signatory to your bank account but give her a limit. A man that trusts a woman except his mother and sisters has already dug his grave.

I did not say the woman must be in charge

I gave conditions for who should be in charge.

I sympathize with you on your predicament, but what you wrote here doesn't relate with what I typed

2 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by NybenSBF101(m): 9:04pm On Jul 10, 2021
Not a must but am glad I did it. During my undergraduate days I spoke against it, now I know better
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Allwell96: 9:06pm On Jul 10, 2021
We have a joint account with my wife, we have no issues over the years. We've been saving for our future and it's good.
Before u go into joint account, make sure u have an understanding spouse...
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by accountantben: 9:07pm On Jul 10, 2021
It's advisable for partners to have a joint account. And the mandate should be either to sign. The reason for this is very simple;
1. It save partners from embarrassment in the event that one of them dead. The process of going to court, and getting a probate report in order to manage a deceased account is very cubersome in this part of our country. Moreover, even when you succeeded in getting probate on deceased account, the court is still entitle to 15% of whatever balance in that account, before the beneficiary can now take full access to the account.
2. Secondly, in the event that one of the partner is seriously down, and cannot even go to the bank for withdrawal or where there is an emergency situation. The co-signatory can easily access the account and make necessary payments on behalf of the other partner. Doing so will go a long way to safe a partner life considering the fact that our hospitals these days does not attend to patient without deposits.
3. Thirdly, in the event that one partner travelled out of the country, would you starve your family just because you are not in town?
The reasons are numerous. Time will not permit me to continue to mention them.

Hence, it is advisable for partners to have joint account. Having it will help them to be prudent in their spending. They can't transact on the account without both reaching on agreement even when extended family needs is out stake.
The above circumstances can be avoided if both partners agreed to run their account togather. It has help me alot, and am not regretting it cos I married a prudent woman. We work together as team, and whatever decision we take is bidding on both of us.
My advice is for guys to define their marriage before embarking on it. Don't allow illusion to take over your common sense.
Have a nice day guys.

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Trutherme: 9:07pm On Jul 10, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

For what reason exactly?
Except your wife is the breadwinner and you need to keep a tab on her spending, I don't see a reason strong enough to necessitate the need for a joint savings account amongst couples.

But if you must have a joint acount with your wife, then the mandate on it MUST be that she will have to co-sign with you while you can sign alone on it.
The transaction alerts should also go to you alone.

Giving your wife financial autonomy or financial superiority is like buying a bullet for the assassin who has been paid to kill you.

It takes one daddy G.O with a good tongue, a sweet fvckboy or a bad mother inlaw and you're done for.

Wrong bro. You will die sooner than you think if your wife feels you are shaddy and not trustworthy.
I used to feel your vibe until I realized that i rather show her everything or let some iidiots take my hard earned money.
I have about 6 accounts and 1 joint with my wife. Then again, we have been married for 15 years, so good wine get better with age.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by GboyegaD(m): 9:08pm On Jul 10, 2021
Martinez39s:
I desperately don't want to believe a man can sink so low. grin

But you can sink much lower to worry too much over another man's choice, right? Grow up and leave people to their choices.

2 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by lastclaire4(f): 9:09pm On Jul 10, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

For what reason exactly?
Except your wife is the breadwinner and you need to keep a tab on her spending, I don't see a reason strong enough to necessitate the need for a joint savings account amongst couples.

But if you must have a joint acount with your wife, then the mandate on it MUST be that she will have to co-sign with you while you can sign alone on it.

Giving your wife financial autonomy or financial superiority is like buying a bullet for the assassin who has been paid to kill you.

It takes one daddy G.O with a good tongue, a sweet fvckboy or a bad mother inlaw and you're done for.

Why will you keep a tab on on your wife's spending if you are not a rogue. All that matters is that she takes care of her part of house bill. That is of u guys are sharing bill.

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by loswhite(m): 9:12pm On Jul 10, 2021
saphiere:
Empower your wife.
lol marriage na empowerment program? Is it the husband that empowered the current and past minister of finance?
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by rosalieene(f): 9:12pm On Jul 10, 2021
izzou:
My girlfriend has always been better with finances than me. She's very prudent.

When we get married, I would definitely put her in charge of our finances.

So my good friend, the most prudent person concerning money should be in charge.

That's my advice
Dont mind those quoting you.
They're just unnecessarily jealous as they can't get a good lady for themselves.
Do what you think is best for you.
You know her better than they do.
They can call you SIMP for all we care but you're the real MVP, that's what is called TRUST.
Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by rosalieene(f): 9:14pm On Jul 10, 2021
Lawrry:
What works for A May not work for B.
Every individual knows his/her partner better, than anyone.
Some were saying they are afraid of women etc, that they can't trust a woman, o.k, but do you eat her food? I am happy to tell you than she can kill you at anytime if you eat her food.
For me, since two years of marriage, we put the whole money together, and I'll give you( my wife)a simple instruction, "don't come to me to request for anything, you know where the money is.
I have peace like a river always, when there is no soup, food etc, she doesn't ask me, she knows where the money is, infact, infact when we want to execute projects, she does the transfer.
In fact,when I want to spend some big amount, she will be the one preaching to me to exercise patient because the money may not be enough before another one comes in, may be I should wait for some funds we are expecting to come in.
When she's buying something she tells me and when I am buying, I tell her.
Just understand and practice what works for your home.
For me o, we run things together.
God bless you bro

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Yesboss0009: 9:21pm On Jul 10, 2021
izzou:

So my good friend, the most prudent person concerning money should be in charge.

That's my advice

E go shock you
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Yesboss0009: 9:25pm On Jul 10, 2021
Obakoolex:

You are wise with your assumption but many won't see it so...ever since my woman came into my life, my finances has grown higher even business grown larger all because she's better than me in finances. So I wonder why I won't have a joint but of course be in charge of all finances as the man of the house

E go shock you
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Germi9: 9:34pm On Jul 10, 2021
izzou:

That's my advice
Boy,thats a bad idea
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Hassanmaye(m): 9:34pm On Jul 10, 2021
murphyibiam15:

Words on a marble. Most women aren't sensitive with spendings though, reason most men don't go with their wives to shopping malls often bc they know what exactly they will do, lol

Let me share little story here:
A cousin of mine was brainwashed by cone men who obliged her to bring all her money so she can get fortune. She actually gave them all the whole money she had and even started looking for extra money to give them. Now imagine she was in charge of a joint account if the family money won't vaporise. Yes, most women are easy to deceive to obtain money from, be it in the church, or by cone men, though not all.
Lol that gender and how they think, very fish brain, it takes a smart pastor or a sweet Bleep boy to empty the account
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Omoluabi16(m): 9:34pm On Jul 10, 2021
PrimadonnaO:
Yass. It's fun.
You can't be too sure though. wink
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by izzou(m): 9:36pm On Jul 10, 2021
Nonexisting:
But you said that your girlfriend is more prudent and will be in charge of finances when you people get married. Isn't that what you said? I'm telling you that I did the same with my exgirlfriend whom I stupidly called fiancee and the result was catastrophic. Just like you want to marry your girlfriend, I was already seeing the daughter of Jezebel as my wife and was planning future with her. Thanks for your sympathy though, God blessed me with immeasurable success after that ordeal but I will never forget the lesson I learnt from it.

Quick question:

When you were dating her, was she responsible and prudent when it comes to money?

Be sincere

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by FullBlastLight: 9:37pm On Jul 10, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

For what reason exactly?

Guy, u're much too negative in ur mentality abt women!

How on earth cld u liken women, as in, pple's wives, to assassins? Huh?

Meaning all wives nurture d thought of murdering their own husbies someday?

Dis mindset is not only warped, bt also flagrantly demonic!

I really hope u won't be an emotional bully already!

2 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by bukatyne(f): 9:37pm On Jul 10, 2021
Every mallam to his kettle.

The people on this thread are strong sha.

You intend to marry, sex with, eat with and generally live with someone you cannot trust with your money. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by bigpicture001: 9:38pm On Jul 10, 2021
My ex was richer than me...one day I made mention of this joint account idea when we create a family...she abruptly objected threatening,she may not go ahead and marry me cuz of that...

But when I explained better, she was still sceptical ,but nodded...that was the day I realized money rules this world...

For me dou, its cool cuz I find it absurd physically giving out money to my partner..I believe in a contributory joint account ...where specific monies are paid in by both parties and both receives the alert...

I perceive such monies should be for emergencies, running of home by the wife nd each will still maintain thier personal account

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by rosalieene(f): 9:39pm On Jul 10, 2021
Nonexisting:
But you said that your girlfriend is more prudent and will be in charge of finances when you people get married. Isn't that what you said? I'm telling you that I did the same with my exgirlfriend whom I stupidly called fiancee and the result was catastrophic. Just like you want to marry your girlfriend, I was already seeing the daughter of Jezebel as my wife and was planning future with her. Thanks for your sympathy though, God blessed me with immeasurable success after that ordeal but I will never forget the lesson I learnt from it.
Bros, all women cannot be like your EX.
There are bad evil men, it doesn't mean one should assume they're all the same.
Stop trying so hard to spoil someone's beautiful relationship.

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by MusaChukwudi: 9:40pm On Jul 10, 2021
izzou:

Nairaland is a place devoid of maturity and reasonable discourse.

I don't type for likes. I have a relationship and I am advising the op based on my experience.

Calling me simp, woman wrapper, and all that won't change anything.

When the time comes, I'll take my decision myself.

Leave them to wallow in their fun grin

I am crying for you already cry
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by FullBlastLight: 9:43pm On Jul 10, 2021
Kobicove:

I hope you know that it's much easier to manipulate women...

The day one of the these end time pastors gets into your wife's head she will donate the wholle family savings to him undecided

Nna ehn...

Why must u drag pastors into dis nah?

D tone of ur comment self has nothing dissimilar 2 dt of a Jambite!

Mtchewww...

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by rafikii: 9:45pm On Jul 10, 2021
First of all I'm a friggin traditional dude and whenever I decide to settle down with one woman it'll definitely be with a traditional girl who understands her place as a woman just as I understand mine as a man, this means my wife would occupy the position of a caregiver while I occupy mine as the provider, this voids the need for a "joint" account. If incidentally I turn out to be a wasteful idiot like a few nairalanders that commented a while ago then the bulk of my funds would go to a fixed deposit account while I hold on to enough to spew away, of course because my wife is the caretaker of my home I'll always fund her with more than enough to do the caretaking cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by rosalieene(f): 9:49pm On Jul 10, 2021
FullBlastLight:

Guy, u're much too negative in ur mentality abt women!

How on earth cld u liken women, as in, pple's wives, to assassins? Huh?

Meaning all wives nurture d thought of murdering their own husbies someday?

Dis mindset is not only warped, bt also flagrantly demonic!

I really hope u won't be an emotional bully already!
God bless you bro.
Personally, I have also come to realise that those men that try to subjugate women or say alot of bad things about them or most especially those that are so keen on submission are usually men that have LOW SELF ESTEEM AND AS SUCH ARE LOOKING FOR VALIDATION to boost their already fallen Ego. That's why they see normal men as SIMPs. This is because they attach so much importance to this things so as not to be seen as a WEAKLING when in the real sense of it, they're the real WEAKLINGS.
Just see the nonsense that young man wrote, that's how he will mislead innocent men and spoil beautiful homes and relationships.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by saxoholic1(m): 9:52pm On Jul 10, 2021
Am a married man. So I would advice..dont have a joint account.. Let she keep her money... U keep your money... Before you married her she have been making money.. Remove ur eyes from her money.. Your wife is only meant to support you.
However... I know how much is in all her account( from salary account to family account).. Your wife should be a good money manager more than u.. But if she isn't.. Then teach her...
My slogan is : my money is our money, her money is her money....
Funny enough... She bought me my first car after our marriage..
Note ::"woman wey get sense go help her husband..

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by TheMostComplex1: 9:52pm On Jul 10, 2021
You can have a joint account both must sign
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:58pm On Jul 10, 2021
Omoluabi16:
You can't be too sure though. wink

Yeah, but I can imagine.

There's something sweet about that kind of bonding and openness.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Susily(m): 10:02pm On Jul 10, 2021
izzou:

There is no clear cut formula for a happy marriage.

Like my coconut headed friend Pocohantas would say, Honesty and the willingness to make it work is what is required.

My girl makes better financial plans and decisions. She's very prudent.

It would be foolish for me to be in charge of our finances. That's a disaster for our future family.

I'm just being honest grin

This is the same thing Emmanuel Eboue the former ivorian footballer said before he was stripped off all his assets by the so-called wife he trusted so much and handed over his finances to

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

South African Lady's Mother Surprised Her With A Car / A Nairalander's Son First Birth Day On Earth. / Nigerian Woman Celebrates As She Gives Birth To Twins After 8 Years Of Waiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.