Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,101 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? (21487 Views)

My Daughter Of 4+ Years Would Not Allow Me And Wife Have Sex At Night / Does My Brother's Wife Have The Right To Walk Me Out Of My Brother's House ? / Should Husband Not Often Call His Father In Law And Mother In Law For Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Depressed101: 7:25am On Jul 11, 2021
izzou:
My girlfriend has always been better with finances than me. She's very prudent.

When we get married, I would definitely put her in charge of our finances.

So my good friend, the most prudent person concerning money should be in charge.

That's my advice
e go shock you,the way she gone change when she start seeing your money pop into the account,

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Sprumbaba: 7:50am On Jul 11, 2021
Hello No. over a decade of marriage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DonroxyII: 7:52am On Jul 11, 2021
Bola146:
lipsrsealed it's very risky at the beginning, you can now determine that if the parties are trustworthy to each other. But it is good to do separate accounts
How can Husband and Wife not be trustworthy to each other ?

What is the essence of Marriage if not trust ?

Why marrying, cohabiting, sleeping together and eating the food in fact living with somebody you can't trust to protect and defend your interests?

As far as me I'm concern ... Joint Account is the best bet for couples ...

You must have individual accounts then your family account aka Joint Account from where you will both bear the responsibilities for your family !

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DonroxyII: 7:55am On Jul 11, 2021
izzou:
My girlfriend has always been better with finances than me. She's very prudent.

When we get married, I would definitely put her in charge of our finances.

So my good friend, the most prudent person concerning money should be in charge.

That's my advice
When they should marry brain they will go and marry ass and boobs while ladies marries fine boy ....

No doubt, Nigerian Men have failed their women!!
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DonroxyII: 8:14am On Jul 11, 2021
Goldenheart:
Let's both have

a personal account & a joint account

we can be putting agreed sum of money into joint account and use accordingly...

It doesn't interfere with the personal account grin
Joint Account will be used to meet your family needs (Foodstuffs, house maintenance, school fees, clothing for the children, Groceries etc) .....
When you withdraw from the joint account, you are definitely spending it for "us" !!

Personal Account to meet each personal needs such as your extended families responsibilities and other brouhaha....

You dare not withdraw from Joint Account to meet Personal needs but of course you can borrow from it and return it back and Joint Account can also borrow from you ....

There must be two Joint Accounts
Recurrent Joint Accounts(Daily Needs)
Capital Joint Accounts (Capital Projects) !!

A family without rule and discipline is not a Family but Animal Pride ... even in standard animal pride such as Lion, There is Discipline and if you flout the rule, the dominant male will clear your doubt, if the dominant male fvcks up, the dominant females will clear his doubt and can chase him out of the pride (Dethrone him) !!

A family must have rules and every member of the family shall abide by it and extended families must know your family for her Rule ...

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DonroxyII: 8:24am On Jul 11, 2021
buzquet:
Smart Husband that want to control and be in charge won't try such
The only thing you should endeavour to be in charge is the brain of your wife ... Every other thing she must be in charge

You are the Chairman of the Family .. You are in Charge of Strategies and Helping in Operations where necessary...

She is the CEO/Managing Director ..... She is in Charge of Operations of the Family especially Financial Management

Both of you must work together not apart ..

The day Chairman and CEO of a company have issues with each other ... That company will start having issues and all stakeholders will be affected even Generator in your house and the spoons!

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DonroxyII: 8:28am On Jul 11, 2021
frozen70:

Only couples who are friends to each other

Transparent to each other

Protective of each other

Loves each other without faults

They are the only set of people that can operate joint accounts
Why must you marry your "enemy" ?

Why won't you marry your friend and keep fuelling the fire of that friendship...

Protect and Defend that "Friendship" at all cost , at all cost and keep earning each other trust .... with God, with each other and if possible, Go Africa on any intercession!!
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DonroxyII: 8:31am On Jul 11, 2021
nedekid:
Oga, my older brother, 4 years older than me got married (married late). Next thing all the wedding gift money etc they placed inside joint account. All his money too he moved into joint account. Haba! I used style to hint him to cautious for where? He said in marriage classes, they told them never to hide anything from themselves and should have joint account ie " bone of my bone". I knew love was shaking him so no reasoning.
Wife went to birth in Us, offcouse she wanted baby pram of $1200, wristwatch for her mother of $900 etc. Haba, shebi money de joint acct grin
Dude has his business, wife works and earns good. Bro funds the joint account, wife de maintain her own personal account with her salary.
Nna 6 years later we stumbled into some money, I had to tell my bro not to declare to his wife oh let her not tell my own and cause problems for me. My guy say declare watin? Say if I knew what he went through over joint account ehh. Eg, a new car, fridge is needed, Until that money finishes. Bros don wisen up. Lol
Any wise man will tell you that you are just causing problems for yourself. Have your account and let her have hers. It makes life easier.
He should also have separate account too ... the wife should have used her money to buy gift for her mother ? ... Don't touch my children's account to buy for your mom .... A full fledged Man will not be violated anyway .... A full fledged woman will also not be violated ....

There will be mutual Respect, Regard and Fear

2 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by ImaIma1(f): 8:32am On Jul 11, 2021
We've never had. We operate our separate accounts and it works just fine.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DonroxyII: 8:42am On Jul 11, 2021
Nonexisting:
But you said that your girlfriend is more prudent and will be in charge of finances when you people get married. Isn't that what you said? I'm telling you that I did the same with my exgirlfriend whom I stupidly called fiancee and the result was catastrophic. Just like you want to marry your girlfriend, I was already seeing the daughter of Jezebel as my wife and was planning future with her. Thanks for your sympathy though, God blessed me with immeasurable success after that ordeal but I will never forget the lesson I learnt from it.
Your Wahala much ... Izzou said His Wife ... Now you gift all your life earnings to your GF (not wife) and you are the Simp here ..

Also what critical evaluation did you make that justified granting your financial life to your girlfriend...

Girlfriend is still a stage of Evaluation of each other .....Fiancee is when you have dot your Is and Cross your Ts just waiting to be sealed together ....

No matter how good a girlfriend , how can you put someone that's yet to be a stakeholder in your life on your life savings .... "Your life Savings" ....

Many of you don't understand marriage and relationships.... In fact, there are some friends you can't lend them money and expect them to pay back ....

Joint Account is just meant to run your family ... (You, Your wife and una children) ... It is not an account to put your entire life but joint account must contain atleast 65% of una income .... 35% to be retained to meet personal engagements....

You dashed your girlfriend monies ... Stop Lamenting ... you misjudged and every one misjudged no sheeeeeeett .... Move on ...

Next time, Evaluate critically and test the water with a piece of your feet before carrying two legs jump enter water wey go carry you comot!

2 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by membranus: 8:47am On Jul 11, 2021
Lawrry:
What works for A May not work for B.
Every individual knows his/her partner better, than anyone.
Some were saying they are afraid of women etc, that they can't trust a woman, o.k, but do you eat her food? I am happy to tell you than she can kill you at anytime if you eat her food.
For me, since two years of marriage, we put the whole money together, and I'll give you( my wife)a simple instruction, "don't come to me to request for anything, you know where the money is.
I have peace like a river always, when there is no soup, food etc, she doesn't ask me, she knows where the money is, infact, infact when we want to execute projects, she does the transfer.
In fact,when I want to spend some big amount, she will be the one preaching to me to exercise patient because the money may not be enough before another one comes in, may be I should wait for some funds we are expecting to come in.
When she's buying something she tells me and when I am buying, I tell her.
Just understand and practice what works for your home.
For me o, we run things together.

I pity you for the day when the money runs dry from your own source.

It is then you will know the inherent self-interest mindset of women.

Until then, enjoy the cruise Bro.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DonroxyII: 8:53am On Jul 11, 2021
TheMostComplex1:
You can have a joint account both must sign
so if you travel to Sokoto ... You wife in Lagos must wait for you to come home before she spends money

Some of you already planned a failed home even before marriage !!

All these careful, careful will ruin una family because each parties are already planning insecurity and insincerity even before the real show .....

Never invest in anything or any relationship more than what you can afford to lose ...

Also, never relate with weyrey ... if you now do your best and shi.iiit still happens , then as a man and a big man ... Take your Damn L and Swerve...

All things being equal nothing you commit your soul towards and bound it with God will never collapse ... Because God will enrich your brain with all the Engineering Skills to build and Maintain the structure !
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by benson81(m): 9:04am On Jul 11, 2021
A no no! If any of the partner is richer excessively than the other, they should fund the other person's account from time to time. This joint account wahala dey cause gbese ooo.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Sebgajere(m): 9:23am On Jul 11, 2021
What for? My account alone belongs to the whole family. So there isn't need
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by frozen70(f): 9:41am On Jul 11, 2021
DonroxyII:
Why must you marry your "enemy" ?

Why won't you marry your friend and keep fuelling the fire of that friendship...

Protect and Defend that "Friendship" at all cost , at all cost and keep earning each other trust .... with God, with each other and if possible, Go Africa on any intercession!!

You won't understand till you are involve

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by razzydoo(m): 9:42am On Jul 11, 2021
Tho i'm not married yet, but as an azaman and a crown prince (not of saudi sha), no to joint anything. Wetin money go cause ehn?!
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DEMZEE(m): 9:48am On Jul 11, 2021
HRprof:

This is 2021!! Your statement is for those still living in 1935
Most women are the breadwinner, who dominant gender help without finance

That's why we are seeing the results in western societies where men are second class citizens and have being emasculated. U can see the high rates of divorce in which 80% are being initiated by women.

Women are not designed to lead men by nature. Women are hive minded creatures, they are born followers
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DEMZEE(m): 9:49am On Jul 11, 2021
erico2k2:

When yu get married tell her that

Obviously she will know

Women are not equal to their husbands in marriage, men lead women follow period!
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DEMZEE(m): 9:56am On Jul 11, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

All this talk from baseless insight and fake leadership. A show of force that's just a form of it but lacking meaning and substance in any direction to bring meaningful progress to any home.

What nonsense, the earlier you know that no two relationship is the same, the better.

Who ever does better, should lead in that place. When homes/relationships are run on meritocracy you find, peace, tranquility and undiluted love. It will be excellence all the way.

Men are designed to lead by nature. Women are designed to be followers. Men and women are fundamentally different

Marriages work best wen the man is in the leadership position not wen the woman is in the leadership position. Women are hypergamous and want and desire men who are superior to them in every area of life. Women don't date downwards for fvcks sake

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DonroxyII: 10:37am On Jul 11, 2021
frozen70:

You won't understand till you are involve
lol, we all have our individual differences but if we should accept our wrongs and ready to correct ... anyway ... I'm a dude and my job is to influence my woman better !!

Most marriage failures to me is caused by Men!!

How Nigerian Men failed Nigerian women indeed!!

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Lawrry(m): 10:49am On Jul 11, 2021
membranus:

I pity you for the day when the money runs dry from your own source.

It is then you will know the inherent self-interest mindset of women.

Until then, enjoy the cruise Bro.
You don't need to pity, cause it has once happened, just last year my bank asked me to go, and I had no meaningful Job for 13months, 1year,1month, should I surprise you? We continued the same process, I picked a teaching job during that time, and she earns times 4 of my salary. My brother no one knew I was broke.
The thing is, if this same woman will prepare my food and has the opportunity to poison me, why should I have doubt her?
Don't forget, what works for me , my not work for you, so, know you wife very well.
Your wife should be a blessing to you not a suspect. "He who finds a wife, finds a good thing and obtain favour from God.
My brother, when your wife is not a favour from God, there is problem.
Although, it took me to break, 2 serious relationships, to get this woman, one was 4years, the other was 2years, but I was just determine to get it right, and one I got to this woman, I knew I have gotten it right.
Bro, we are responsible for our choice, what God does is to back you up when you choose.
I may be wrong or right, just make sure you know your woman beyond ordinary.

3 Likes

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by frozen70(f): 11:36am On Jul 11, 2021
DonroxyII:
lol, we all have our individual differences but if we should accept our wrongs and ready to correct ... anyway ... I'm a dude and my job is to influence my woman better !!

Most marriage failures to me is caused by Men!!

How Nigerian Men failed Nigerian women indeed!!

Now you are talking.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by membranus: 11:36am On Jul 11, 2021
Lawrry:

You don't need to pity, cause it has once happened, just last year my bank asked me to go, and I had no meaningful Job for 13months, 1year,1month, should I surprise you? We continued the same process, I picked a teaching job during that time, and she earns times 4 of my salary. My brother no one knew I was broke.
The thing is, if this same woman will prepare my food and has the opportunity to poison me, why should I have doubt her?
Don't forget, what works for me , my not work for you, so, know you wife very well.
Your wife should be a blessing to you not a suspect. "He who finds a wife, finds a good thing and obtain favour from God.
My brother, when your wife is not a favour from God, there is problem.
Although, it took me to break, 2 serious relationships, to get this woman, one was 4years, the other was 2years, but I was just determine to get it right, and one I got to this woman, I knew I have gotten it right.
Bro, we are responsible for our choice, what God does is to back you up when you choose.
I may be wrong or right, just make sure you know your woman beyond ordinary.

Well, I thank God for you, being lucky in your choice of a wife.

Many of us are not that lucky. When it comes to their own money (not talking of trust here), many wives don't find it easy to share it with their husbands when their spouse source of income becomes dry or insufficient.

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by lordally(m): 12:41pm On Jul 11, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

Nope,this your submission doesn't follow.

Every relationship is unique, to that effect every family should deal with what works for them.

1. A family may do well when the woman handles finances, so the joint account is overseen by the woman and she gives a statement of credits and spending by month end.

This will work in a setting where the man is a high risk taker there by a good earner and doesn't do well with savings, most times you'll find men like this settling with ladies who's risk appetite is not as much as theirs and handles money better.

2. A family will do well if the man happens to manage finances better than the woman, he earns well and equally handles money better than the woman, so in this case the woman makes a budget and bring to him, he then funds it.

Above all, trust should be built in all long term relationships and everyone should be open and seek the best interest of the relationship rather than self.

Maturity at its PEAK!!

1 Like

Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Yusufisraelj(m): 12:58pm On Jul 11, 2021
DEMZEE:

Men are designed to lead by nature. Women are designed to be followers. Men and women are fundamentally different

Marriages work best wen the man is in the leadership position not wen the woman is in the leadership position. Women are hypergamous and want and desire men who are superior to them in every area of life. Women don't date downwards for fvcks sake

Don't mistaken responsibilities for roles, they are two different things all together, in the context of this discussion on this trend.

Responsibilities defines the scope of influence or jurisdiction a man has over his home and that of the woman to the home.

It is the man's responsibility to love, provide, and protect his family.

It is the responsibility of the woman to respect her husband, give birth, take care of the home and nurture what the man provides for maximum benefit.

Generally speaking where there is sanity, the man defines the general dynamics of how the home should be and grow and the woman see to it that that is attained.

Roles talks about a function assumed by a person in a particular situation, delegating a task based on core competencies is the same as relegating your responsibilities, it's just that for better outcomes, you'd prefer the other partner handle the task.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by meobizy(f): 1:03pm On Jul 11, 2021
In marriage three accounts are necessary; the man’s, the woman’s and a joint account. That makes two sources for the man to draw money and three for the woman. The kids will live better off for the plan. If a woman thinks being a housewife is a lifestyle option these days then she’s in for a long and disappointing ride. Most semi-illiterate people I know have working wives talk less of the well-schooled.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DEMZEE(m): 1:05pm On Jul 11, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

Don't mistaken responsibilities for roles, they are two different things all together, in the context of this discussion on this trend.

Responsibilities defines the scope of influence or jurisdiction a man has over his home and that of the woman to the home.

It is the man's responsibility to love, provide, and protect his family.

It is the responsibility of the woman to respect her husband, give birth, take care of the home and nurture what the man provides for maximum benefit.

Generally speaking where there is sanity, the man defines the general dynamics of how the home should be and grow and the woman see to it that that is attained.

Roles talks about a function assumed by a person in a particular situation, delegating a task based on core competencies is the same as relegating your responsibilities, it's just that for better outcomes, you'd prefer the other partner handle the task.

A man who knows his value and understands women's nature won't see his wife as his equal and he won't have a joint account with her.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Yusufisraelj(m): 1:22pm On Jul 11, 2021
DEMZEE:

A man who knows his value and understands women's nature won't see his wife as his equal and he won't have a joint account with her.

Well we see differently, enjoy your Sunday my brother.
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by Gfskw: 5:19pm On Jul 11, 2021
No
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by SavageResponse(m): 11:35am On Jul 12, 2021
DonroxyII:
The only thing you should endeavour to be in charge is the brain of your wife ... Every other thing she must be in charge

You are the Chairman of the Family .. You are in Charge of Strategies and Helping in Operations where necessary...

She is the CEO/Managing Director ..... She is in Charge of Operations of the Family especially Financial Management

Both of you must work together not apart ..

The day Chairman and CEO of a company have issues with each other ... That company will start having issues and all stakeholders will be affected even Generator in your house and the spoons!

This is only applicable if your wife is frugal and responsible with money.

If you have a show-off wife that likes to live above her income and you give her access to your finances na sorry be your name!
Re: Should Husband And Wife Have A Joint Account? by DonroxyII: 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2021
SavageResponse:

This is only applicable if your wife is frugal and responsible with money.

If you have a show-off wife that like to live above her income and you give her access to your finances na sorry be your name!
That's why you must Marry your type..

Marriage is a very big venture but human has turn it into Joke ..... Husband and Wife must work together towards common agenda ....

But when u fvck someone daughter and belle show .... abi u just settle for just settle sake ... na there wahala dey come .....

Where u do all the needful and both of you are friends definitely you will become one entity and reason along same course (that's Marriage)

Even UBA, Zenith Bank must not be more Discipline in terms of operations than your Marriage....

Marriage no be play ... Na Big Venture .... It's like Driving a Ship from Nigeria to Russia ... Only Well trained Captain and Crew succeed .. Others will be washed away by Storms and Hurricane and get swallowed by Whale or Shark .... !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

South African Lady's Mother Surprised Her With A Car / Nigerian Woman Celebrates As She Gives Birth To Twins After 8 Years Of Waiting / Challenges Of A Single Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.