Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? (1037 Views)

Israeli Bill To Outlaw Talk About Jesus Criticized / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? / Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 4:35pm On Jul 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

The fact that many people break The Law, after Lamech, son of the first murderer, made his own world record in addition to murdering by also breaking The Law of one man and one woman, never ratifies the breaking of The Law.

which law?? provide convincing proofs of ur "law"
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:41pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

which law?? provide convincing proofs of ur "law"

You saw them, One at the beginning and the second time it was repeated by The Same Lawgiver on marriage "Have ye not read, that He which made them AT THE BEGINNING Made them male and female...? Mathew 19:4
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 5:23pm On Jul 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

You saw them, One at the beginning and the second time it was repeated by The Same Lawgiver on marriage "Have ye not read, that He which made them AT THE BEGINNING Made them male and female...? Mathew 19:4

making them male and female does not mean monogamy....

anyway you are a lost hopeless cause stuck in your ways so i give up on u.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:48pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

making them male and female does not mean monogamy....

After He Said
"Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female?

He went on to Pronounce The Law on Marriage, Saying

5 "And said, For this cause shall a man (One Man) leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wifesadOne wife, not wives) and they twain (the 2, not 3 or 4 or many) shall be one flesh?

BigBashiru:

anyway you are a lost hopeless cause stuck in your ways so i give up on u.

As Joshua said, as for me and my soul, I will rather Obey The Lord and The Law, so insult me, I will rather be a son of Obedience, than be a son of Cain, Children of evil and disobedience, as you are!
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 7:12pm On Jul 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

After He Said
"Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female?

He went on to Pronounce The Law on Marriage, Saying

5 "And said, For this cause shall a man (One Man) leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wifesadOne wife, not wives) and they twain (the 2, not 3 or 4 or many) shall be one flesh?

As Joshua said, as for me and my soul, I will rather Obey The Lord and The Law, so insult me, I will rather be a son of Obedience, than be a son of Cain, Children of evil and disobedience, as you are!

you are the person that modified that verse to suit ur evil purpose....

the verse u quote mentions a man shall leave and go to the wife and be one, but it doesn't say a man can't be joined to more than one wife....

and why hasn't God punished all the people who have been having boyfriends/girlfriends...

having boyfriends and girlfriends is a form of polygamy
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Dtruthspeaker: 10:34pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

you are the person that modified that verse to suit ur evil purpose....

the verse u quote mentions a man shall leave and go to the wife and be one, but it doesn't say a man can't be joined to more than one wife....

That is The Law of Marriage, One in Genesis, Repeated Again in Mathew. But as I said earlier, you can exercise your right to Disobey God, as Lamech, Son of Cain did, I will never follow you.

BigBashiru:

and why hasn't God punished all the people who have been having boyfriends/girlfriends...

having boyfriends and girlfriends is a form of polygamy

Change of post! We are talking about marriage and further marriages within marriage and not about betrothals and multiple betrothals.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 10:43pm On Jul 14, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

That is The Law of Marriage, One in Genesis, Repeated Again in Mathew. But as I said earlier, you can exercise your right to Disobey God, as Lamech, Son of Cain did, I will never follow you.

Change of post! We are talking about marriage and further marriages within marriage and not about betrothals and multiple betrothals.

shut the f up u cursed seed of cain
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Kobojunkie: 10:46pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:
in the old testament there were so many polygamists.... the women themselves don't have much respect for monogamists.... I will use this thread to do bible study to find out if the bible really outlawed polygamy. for starters Solomon had 700 wives and was still a man of God.

monogamy is unnatural!
1. You claim Solomon had 700 wives and was still a man of God at that, are you sure of this claim you make? undecided

Two reasons....

A. in Deuteronomy 17, God specified laws that must be kept the Kings of Israel, of which Solomon clearly broke, right since 700 is way too many for any one man to satisfy in even a month. undecided

The king must not get more and more horses for himself. And he must not send people to Egypt to get more horses, because the Lord has told you, ‘You must never go back that way.’ 17 Also, the king must not have too many wives, because that will make him turn away from the Lord. And he must not make himself rich with silver and gold. - Deuteronomy 17 vs 16 - 17

B. in 1 Kings 11, the story goes that Solomon was led astray into the worship of idols by his many women. undecided
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 10:50pm On Jul 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. You claim Solomon had 700 wives and was still a man of God at that, are you sure of this claim you make? undecided

Two reasons....

A. in Deuteronomy 17, God specified laws that must be kept the Kings of Israel, of which Solomon clearly broke, right since 700 is way too many for any one man to satisfy in even a month. undecided

The king must not get more and more horses for himself. And he must not send people to Egypt to get more horses, because the Lord has told you, ‘You must never go back that way.’ 17 Also, the king must not have too many wives, because that will make him turn away from the Lord. And he must not make himself rich with silver and gold. - Deuteronomy 17 vs 16 - 17

B. in 1 Kings 11, the story goes that Solomon was led astray into the worship of idols by his many women. undecided

the v17 you quoted was "too many".... 3-5 wives isn't too many so polygamy is allowed.

Nigerians are such hypocrites. all of u defending monogamy still cheat on ur wives mentally or emotionally just that Ataga was a scapegoat but most guys are guilty of ataga ordeal. hypocrites.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Kobojunkie: 10:52pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:
the v17 you quoted was "too many".... 3-5 wives isn't too many so polygamy is allowed.

Nigerians are such hypocrites. all of u defending monogamy still cheat on ur wives mentally or emotionally just that Ataga was a scapegoat but most guys are guilty of ataga ordeal. hypocrites.
Again, pay attention....

Two reasons....

Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Dtruthspeaker: 10:53pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

shut the f up u cursed seed of cain

grin exactly what a Cainson must say when he is told that he is a Disobedient.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 10:58pm On Jul 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Again, pay attention....

Two reasons....

you don't know wat you are talking about. fukkin African hypocrites.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Kobojunkie: 11:04pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:
you don't know wat you are talking about. fukkin African hypocrites.
It seems you opened this thread so you can only read opinions that agree with yours so I will leave you to your so called Bible study. undecided
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 11:07pm On Jul 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
It seems you opened this thread so you can only read opinions that agree with yours so I will leave you to your so called Bible study. undecided

the verses you quoted do not outlaw polygamy.... you are trying to impose those ideas on innocent bible verses.

you need to entertain the idea for s second that everything uve been thought about marriage is wrong.

to be clear, all is vanity including many wives.... but it's an idea men need to be comfortable with.. .. there's nothing wrong with having many wives that you love in Christ.... so long as you not a player.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Kobojunkie: 11:08pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

the verses you quoted do not outlaw polygamy.... you are trying to impose those ideas on innocent bible verses.

you need to entertain the idea for s second that everything uve been thought about marriage is wrong.

to be clear, all is vanity including many wives.... but it's an idea men need to be comfortable with.. .. there's nothing wrong with having many wives that you love in Christ.... so long as you not a player.
Again...
Kobojunkie:
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Kobojunkie: 1:03am On Jul 15, 2021
kovic7:
That's the thing with Christianity. Most things are not straight forward. No express instructions on some things.

Till now, I've not see where the Bible said
Don't marry more than one wife
Don't smoke or drink alcohol
Don't wear trousers
Don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend

ETC.
We're all interpreting it based on our own level of understanding, hence the different denominations and doctrines everywhere.

Sometimes, the Bible is just a storybook from Israel jor. But then, for more than a billion people to believe in this 'storybook', there must be something extraordinary about it.

Confusing, God needs to organize a seminar/video call to tell us exactly what is expected of us jor. All this trial by error ti sün mi walahi.
God also didn't give you laws regarding the driving of cars, or use of computers or the getting of an education either yet I don't see you volunteering to add those to your list of missing rules in the bible. undecided

God's Law is not meant to restrict you. Instead it is meant to educate you on what is sin and against God, translation, if God has not declared it sin, it is not sin. undecided

The problem here, young man, is not with what is written, or not written, in the Bible but with your refusal to use the brain that God you in gaining even the most basic of understandings of God's Word and Law to you. undecided

Way too many of you are too scared to step out and use the understanding that God has already given you in figuring out what He has been saying all this while. Instead you stoop to blaming the book and even God when nothing changes. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hell Is Real! It Is Real! / If You Have A Personal Relationship With God, Why Do You Need Holy Books? / Cluster Here Let's Discuss About Dreams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.