Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,922 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? (998 Views)

Israeli Bill To Outlaw Talk About Jesus Criticized / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? / Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 8:32am On Jul 14, 2021
in the old testament there were so many polygamists.... the women themselves don't have much respect for monogamists.... I will use this thread to do bible study to find out if the bible really outlawed polygamy. for starters Solomon had 700 wives and was still a man of God.

monogamy is unnatural!
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Monogamy: 8:33am On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:
in the old testament there were so many polygamists.... the women themselves don't have much respect for monogamists.... I will use this thread to do bible study to find out if the bible really outlawed polygamy. for starters Solomon had 700 wives and was still a man of God.

monogamy is unnatural!

Na lie, I be natural...

grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 8:40am On Jul 14, 2021
Exodus 21:10: "If he take another wife for himself; her food, her clothing, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish".

This appears to be an instruction to polygamist men....
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by MightySparrow: 8:41am On Jul 14, 2021
Monogamy:

Na lie, I be natural...

grin cheesy
I recommend 1001 women for you joor.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by MightySparrow: 8:43am On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

monogamy is unnatural!

I recommend 1001 women for you joor.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 8:44am On Jul 14, 2021
Deut 21, 15 -17
If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons but the firstborn is the son of the wife he does not love, when he wills his property to his sons, he must not give the rights of the firstborn to the son of the wife he loves in preference to his actual firstborn, the son of the wife he does not love. He must acknowledge the son of his unloved wife as the firstborn by giving him a double share of all he has. That son is the first sign of his father’s strength. The right of the firstborn belongs to him.

some gals on this forum will hate me for uncovering biblical truths lol...

This so explains why men "cheats" because monogamy was forced upon them....
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 8:50am On Jul 14, 2021
in my view polygamy is only sinful b4 God if:

1. You practice "use and dump" and use women.
2 You dont respect the women.
3 You don't love the women or have any meaningful relationship wiv them.
etc
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Jashub: 9:01am On Jul 14, 2021
1 Corinthians 7:2-5 ESV

But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Did you forget this part of the bible? Why are you quoting the old testament that has nothing to do with the faith of Christians and the new covenant? undecided
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 9:06am On Jul 14, 2021
Jashub:
1 Corinthians 7:2-5 ESV

But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Did you forget this part of the bible? Why are you quoting the old testament that has nothing to do with the faith of Christians and the new covenant? undecided

having 3 wives actually prevents the immorality that verse aimed to guard against. Corinthians is a letter to the Corinthians. Satan is more likely to prevail over a man with only one wife as the man would be desparate....
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by thorpido(m): 9:06am On Jul 14, 2021
Mark 10:6, KJV: "But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female."
To understand the mind of God,you need to look at the beginning
When God created man,he made a woman for him and not many women.

1 Corinthians 7:2-5 as quoted by Jashub further shows that,'each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband'.

Sin came when Adam and Eve fell and sin created avenues for things that though were permitted by God were not His perfect plan.That is why many in the old Testament married many wives but God still related with them.
However,the coming of Jesus was to renew and perfect that which was lost in Eden.1 Corinthians 13:10 AMPC says,'but when the complete and perfect (total) comes, the incomplete and imperfect will vanish away (become antiquated, void, and superseded).
In Christ,God's original plan of monogamy is established.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Jashub: 9:08am On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

having 3 wives actually prevents the immorality that verse aimed to guard against. Corinthians is a letter to the Corinthians. Satan is more likely to prevail over a man with only one wife as the man would be desparate....
The verse I quoted makes no mention of marrying more than a wife. Kindly read it and see for yourself. kiss
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 9:10am On Jul 14, 2021
Jashub:
The verse I quoted makes no mention of marrying more than a wife. Kindly read it and see for yourself. kiss

Its a letter to the Corinthians.... it doesn't expressly ban polygamy either. it recommended monogamy but didn't outlaw polygamy. and in the bible the words of Jesus himself have more weight...where did Jesus say to us directly no Polygamy??
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 9:13am On Jul 14, 2021
thorpido:
Mark 10:6, KJV: "But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female."
To understand the mind of God,you need to look at the beginning
When God created man,he made a woman for him and not many women.

that's speculation..... just because God made a man and a woman doesn't mean a man can't take multiple wives!
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:20am On Jul 14, 2021
Polygamy was not God's arrangement in the beginning God created one man (Adam) and one woman (Eve) Matthew 19:8

The first man to disrupt the setting is called "Lamech" {Genesis 4:19} he was a murderer {Genesis 4:23} and ever since then some people followed his footsteps since God is not giving them any rules apart from the standard he set in the beginning! Genesis 2:21-24

Later when people began spreading throughout the earth they were marrying more than one wife and God did not include it in his laws but permitted them to continue until the coming of His son who will teach us how to return home {Paradisiac earth just like Eden). Some women also love sharing men with their fellow woman perhaps due to wealth and other factors.

So when God's son finally arrived he said:

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you men had known me, you would have known my Father also; from this moment on you know him and have seen him.”

It's from that time that his disciples began scrutinizing themselves to fit in to life in the coming Paradise {1Timothy 3:2 compare to Titus 1:6} because you will not be allowed in Paradise if you're not ready to live by God's arrangement which is One Adam and One Eve!

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

BigBashiru:
in my view polygamy is only sinful b4 God if:
1. You practice "use and dump" and use women.
2 You dont respect the women.
3 You don't love the women or have any meaningful relationship wiv them.
etc
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by kovic7(m): 9:21am On Jul 14, 2021
That's the thing with Christianity. Most things are not straight forward. No express instructions on some things.

Till now, I've not see where the Bible said
Don't marry more than one wife
Don't smoke or drink alcohol
Don't wear trousers
Don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend
ETC.
We're all interpreting it based on our own level of understanding, hence the different denominations and doctrines everywhere.

Sometimes, the Bible is just a storybook from Israel jor. But then, for more than a billion people to believe in this 'storybook', there must be something extraordinary about it.

Confusing, God needs to organize a seminar/video call to tell us exactly what is expected of us jor. All this trial by error ti sün mi walahi.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by thorpido(m): 9:21am On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

that's speculation..... just because God made a man and a woman doesn't mean a man can't take multiple wives!
Read my update so you can have a better understanding.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 9:27am On Jul 14, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
Polygamy was not God's arrangement in the beginning God created one man (Adam) and one woman (Eve) Matthew 19:8

The first man to disrupt the setting is called "Lamech" {Genesis 4:19} he was a murderer {Genesis 4:23} and ever since then some people followed his footsteps since God is not giving them any rules apart from the standard he set in the beginning! Genesis 2:21-24

Later when people began spreading throughout the earth they were marrying more than one wife and God did not include it in his laws but permitted them to continue until the coming of His son who will teach us how to return home {Paradisiac earth just like Eden). Some women also love sharing men with their fellow woman perhaps due to wealth and other factors.

So when God's son finally arrived he said:

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you men had known me, you would have known my Father also; from this moment on you know him and have seen him.”

It's from that time that his disciples began scrutinizing themselves to fit in to life in the coming Paradise {1Timothy 3:2 compare to Titus 1:6} because you will not be allowed in Paradise if you're not ready to live by God's arrangement which is One Adam and One Eve!

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

just by God creating one man and one woman doesn't imply God only ordained monogamy....

Quoting I am the way the truth and life isn't relevant to the conversation.

you sound more or less like a hypocrite.

how many underage girls have you molested?? tell us the truth
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 9:28am On Jul 14, 2021
kovic7:
That's the thing with Christianity. Most things are not straight forward. No express instructions on some things.

Till now, I've not see where the Bible said
Don't marry more than one wife
Don't smoke or drink alcohol
Don't wear trousers
Don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend
ETC.
We're all interpreting it based on our own level of understanding, hence the different denominations and doctrines everywhere.

Sometimes, the Bible is just a storybook from Israel jor. But then, for more than a billion people to believe in this 'storybook', there must be something extraordinary about it.

Confusing, God needs to organize a seminar/video call to tell us exactly what is expected of us jor. All this trial by error ti sün mi walahi.

you are spot on....
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:31am On Jul 14, 2021
Please i'm somehow curious what do you mean by the underlined?

And don't you like reasoning with others? smiley

BigBashiru:

just by God creating one man and one woman doesn't imply God only ordained monogamy....
Quoting I am the way the truth and life isn't relevant to the conversation.
you sound more or less like a hypocrite.
how many underage girls have you molested?? tell us the truth
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Jashub: 9:33am On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

Its a letter to the Corinthians.... it doesn't expressly ban polygamy either. it recommended monogamy but didn't outlaw polygamy. and in the bible the words of Jesus himself have more weight...where did Jesus say to us directly no Polygamy??
Please read that verse well, because it seems you're having a hard time comprehending the words " let each man have his own wife ".
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 9:37am On Jul 14, 2021
Jashub:
Please read that verse well, because it seems you're having a hard time comprehending the words " let each man have his own wife ".

let each man have his own wife does not mean polygamy is outlawed. let each man have his own child does not mean multiple children is outlawed!

then there are also man made rules like the one child policy in China. just because it's so in China's doesn't mean it's so world wide.

there may hv been a one wife policy in Corinthia at the time....
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Jashub: 9:40am On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

let each man have his own wife does not mean polygamy is outlawed. let each man have his own child does not mean multiple children is outlawed!

then there are also man made rules like the one child policy in China. just because it's so in China's doesn't mean it's so world wide.

there may hv been a one wife policy in Corinthia at the time....
Paul at that time was the head of the church and Christ's representative to the gentiles, and whatever he said was law. And for him to openly speak against polygamy in his letters made his opinion law. Read the verse properly. undecided
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 9:43am On Jul 14, 2021
Jashub:
Paul at that time was the head of the church and Christ's representative to the gentiles, and whatever he said was law. And for him to openly speak against polygamy in his letters made his opinion law. Read the verse properly. undecided

blasphemy @ Paul being head of church....

he did not speak against polygamy he only recommended monogamy to prevent immorality.

you need to be rich to successfully practice polygamy....

most of the Corinthians prolly weren't rich hence the recommendation to practice monogamy.

a lot of the so called sexual temptation are eliminated by the practice of polygamy.

polygamy means marrying multiple wives whom u love not indiscriminate sex up and Dan.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Jashub: 9:48am On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

blasphemy @ Paul being head of church....

he did not speak against polygamy he only recommended monogamy to prevent immorality.

you need to be rich to successfully practice polygamy....

most of the Corinthians prolly weren't rich hence the recommendation to practice monogamy.

a lot of the so called sexual temptation are eliminated by the practice of polygamy.

polygamy means marrying multiple wives not whom u love not indiscriminate sex up and Dan.
Oga, you can deny all you want but my bible says Paul was the head of the church which was why he wrote to them and called them his "children in Christ "(Gal4:19). And as a leader, you set the pace for what is going on. And besides, Paul was taking his own authority from Christ and whatever he said came directly from the heart of Jesus. Read your bible sir.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 9:50am On Jul 14, 2021
Jashub:
Oga, you can deny all you want but my bible says Paul was the head of the church which was why he wrote to them and called them his "children in Christ "(Gal4:19). And as a leader, you set the pace for what is going on. And besides, Paul was taking his own authority from Christ and whatever he said came directly from the heart of Jesus. Read your bible sir.

show the bible verse where the bible called Paul "head of the church" you blasphemous hypocrite.

be stuck with ur sole wife then and leave our polygamist thread alone for we polygamists. thanks.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Jashub: 9:54am On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

show the bible verse where the bible called Paul "head of the church" you blasphemous hypocrite.

be stuck with ur sole wife then and leave our polygamist thread alone for we polygamists. thanks.
Fools like you can refute all you want, but I've told you the truth in all honesty.

1. Paul was the head of the gentiles church.

2. Polygamy was outlawed by the apostles because they preached to early church on the sanctity of marriage and upheld it as law.

Read your bible sir
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by BigBashiru: 9:58am On Jul 14, 2021
Jashub:
Fools like you can refute all you want, but I've told you the truth in all honesty.

1. Paul was the head of the gentiles church.

2. Polygamy was outlawed by the apostles because they preached to early church on the sanctity of marriage and upheld it as law.

Read your bible sir

opinions without bible evidence is the sign of a false teacher. pls leave this thread ye false teacher
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Jashub: 10:01am On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

opinions without bible evidence is the sign of a false teacher. pls leave this thread ye false teacher
I gave bible verses which you rejected and you're now looking for another excuse to mock yourself? Haba bros...take it easy o grin
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:04pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

God Said it again when he came to the earth as a man when marriage came up that "He made them male and female".

But do Cain's sons ever Obey God?
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:05pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

God Said it again when he came to the earth as a man when marriage came up that "He made them male and female".

But do Cain's sons ever Obey God?

Because, God does not often Speak Much and His Judgements are usually in deferral, you think there might be a loophole to squeeze yourself through in Disobedience.
Re: Did The Bible Really Outlaw Polygamy? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:34pm On Jul 14, 2021
BigBashiru:

monogamy is unnatural!

The fact that many people break The Law, after Lamech, son of the first murderer, made his own world record in addition to murdering by also breaking The Law of one man and one woman, never ratifies the breaking of The Law.

The Law is "Every man has his own wife".

To Obey or Disobey, is your choice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If Everyone Obeyed God's Ten Commandments, Would The World Be A Better Place ? / When Cain Said Anyone Who Finds Him Will Kill Him, Who Was He Referring To? / Where Is God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.