Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,907 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People (27294 Views)

Some Social Rules That May Help You Gain Respect And Value / Can I Gain Admission Without WAEC Results / Taxify Drivers Protest In Lagos: "We Are Not Rapists, We Need Respect" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Coldie(m): 3:49pm On Jul 17, 2021
I am like that, reason y my own I have respect if u mumu for my side I don't let it slide, if u no apologize to me I MUST DO YOU BACK.

If we loose the friendship no problem, as long as am on my right I no dae fear anything

5 Likes

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Baba40(f): 3:52pm On Jul 17, 2021
Being too playful is wrong, it earns one disrespect..... Do not open teeth with people younger than you especially strangers, dont give them any reason to be close because they will disrespect you.

You will think you are being humble but it's a grave mistake. I learnt too the hard way couple with the fact that I have a young look and body

7 Likes

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Styluss: 3:53pm On Jul 17, 2021
Stupidquestions:
These are tips I apply to myself.

1. Be self reliant.: Never give impression that you can't exist alone or catch fun without your friends, and learn to take care of yourself without depending on people. If u are fond of borrowing..reduce it, and work hard to earn a living.
2. Work on your interest: Get busy, and work on personal goal towards achievement. When u achieve something unexpected, people respect u.
3. Talk less of your secret and plans: Don't reveal everything about yourself or what u are working on. See finish dey cause disrespect. And when u tell people abt ur goals, and if u later dint achieve it, people will see u as irresponsible and lazy...people don't respect such people. Keep ur plans to yasef
4. Don't discuss certain embarrassing moments u had in the past. Some people will judge u by it.
5. Appear neat all the time, and exude confidence, and also carry yourself with some sense of pride....little pride won't kill you.
6. Don't always please people. Yes we like to act nice and be on good books of people...but over time people take u for granted. Sometimes don't give people what they ask for. Don't act nice when they are shit...
7. Don't condone disrespect. Always call out the bullshit of anyone anywhere..don't make it like a joke... treat the Bleep up of people instantly.
8. Reduce ur frequency of laughter with people. Don't laugh to every joke and with everybody
9 Reduce your greetings. Yes some people want u to greet them all the time just to feel themselves. Sometimes, learn to bone/ snub people, and face ur front like someone serious without looking sideways. if they greet u fine...and if they don't, it's not all the time u have to greet.
10. Reduce ur argument and charter when u don't have something reasonable to say especially with people of low mind...
11...Then get a girlfriend if u don't have. Guys also respect u when ladies come around to fvvck u or come around as ur babe grin

12. Get a job and your personal apartment if you don't have. It will help to project you as a serious responsible perosn
you just got a fan

1 Like

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by DAMN99: 3:54pm On Jul 17, 2021
Dress well, mind your business and lastly do not depend on people.
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:54pm On Jul 17, 2021
halogate:

undecided undecided abi oh..
That shyt is never hard for me to do..
Once I notice anyone wants to take me for granted..I cut u federal warning and dash u gap shirt..
Ba lokaci!!.. nobody is indepensible

exactly!!!!
in the OP`s scenario, he has accepted to be disrespected for years by these people, and thinks that this can change. he is the problem, not them!
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Nicoddemus(m): 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2021
GeneralKoko:
I have been a victim of disrespect over the years from mainly my friends. I don't know if it is because I'm too free or too playful but I hardly gain the respect of people.

Please I need tips on how to gain the respect and loyalty of my friends.
Thanks

The second comment on the first page just answered your questions

In addition give your life purpose and direction and itll help you to be more confident.

Don't give too much of your self to anybody
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by snoopz: 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2021
Be your self and you will earn it
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Candycrushy(f): 4:04pm On Jul 17, 2021
pansophist:
What I do that makes people respect me.

1. I own my shit. One thing you'll never see me do is borrow money from you, or expect you to pay my bills (eg if we go out), or by just becoming a burden to people. Never. I'll rather sweep Oshodi expressway to Mile 2 and get paid, than beg for money. My life motto is that I must be able to carry my own weight at least.

2. Self treatment. I don't eat, drink, or digest any rubbish because its sweet. So smoking, drinking beer and soda, and any unhealthy substance is a no no. You are what you eat. If you eat junk, you'll look like junk. If I lift my shirt right now, you'll see clean six packs. No joke. Eating for taste instead of nutrition is a key to self respect. Let food by thy medicine. And the best part is that you'll be fine and healthy.

3. Useless friends - I get mentioned alot on nairaland for example, but if you don't have sense I won't waste a single energy responding to you. I have few friends, and they matter. If I call three of my friends right not that I need cash, four will respond positively. Doesn't mean I ask, just telling you the quality of friends I keep. If you keep idiots as friends, you'll suffer from idiotic problems.

4. Keeping to my lane - infact it is only nairaland I write a lot but in real life, I'm a damn introvert. I'll be looking like I did not know anything but my brain has done all the quadratic equations and guessed accurately what anyone is up to. So yea, do not go where you're not invited, and keep to yourself. Don't talk anyhow. It's tempting I know, but just shut up man.

5. Competence - this is the most important one. You must be good at something. Pick on thing and do it well. It can be anything, but it's easier if you're passionate about it. For example when I was in school, I was known as the best writer and speaker. Like seriously it's impossible to sleep if I handle the mic. Dem no born you well. Try am. You can't. I've always been interested about how the human process words, and calibrated my speech in such a way that sparks your interests and brings out that childlike curiosity that has been beaten away by suffering of adulthood.

When you're good at something, people will come to you for it. And it brings confidence. You'll feel good about yourself and your ability, and respect will come naturally.

5. Exercise. I hold the opinion that you can't feel confident if you know deeply that you're not physically attractive. When you can easily get in and out of relationship and have options scattered around you, you'll have confidence as it signifies your value. Think about it, why do young girls of maybe 17, that are broke, have no achievement in the real world but have ego the size of aso rock? Yea you guess right. They are at their prime, naturally attractive, hence the confidence. They know the value they hold, and it let them navigate life with pride. As a man, you can tap from it too. Go lift heavy weight man, eat healthy and rock a bad ass beard. Fine like mad. Even if you're an idiot, your confidence will sky rocket.

Self disappointment - stop it. You said you'll visit grandma but didn't go, or that you'll loose weight but slack. Or your new year resolution dumped. Come on man. If you disappoint yourself, then its impossible to respect yourself. Do shit you want to do, dutifully. And do things that are hard. The only way out is always through it. If you can't rely on the promise you gave yourself, why would someone else do? Treat yourself like someone you care for. It's hard I know, but its the way out.

Would have written more, but I'm tired. Digest this one first. Later jare. cool
I was already enjoying your write up
I will love to see more

1 Like

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Dagger111(m): 4:05pm On Jul 17, 2021
Stupidquestions:

1. Be self reliant.: Never give impression that you can't exist alone or catch fun without your friends, and learn to take care of yourself without depending on people. If u are fond of borrowing..reduce it, and work hard to earn a living.
2. Work on your interest: Get busy, and work on personal goal towards achievement. When u achieve something unexpected, people respect u.
3. Talk less of your secret and plans: Don't reveal everything about yourself or what u are working on. See finish dey cause disrespect. And when u tell people abt ur goals, and if u later dint achieve it, people will see u as irresponsible and lazy...people don't respect such people. Keep ur plans to yasef
4. Don't discuss certain embarrassing moments u had in the past. Some people will judge u by it.
5. Appear neat all the time, and exude confidence, and also carry yourself with some sense of pride....little pride won't kill you.
6. Don't always please people. Yes we like to act nice and be on good books of people...but over time people take u for granted. Sometimes don't give people what they ask for. Don't act nice when they are shit...
7. Don't condone disrespect. Always call out the bullshit of anyone anywhere..don't make it like a joke... treat the Bleep up of people instantly.
8. Reduce ur frequency of laughter with people. Don't laugh to every joke and with everybody
9 Reduce your greetings. Yes some people want u to greet them all the time just to feel themselves. Sometimes, learn to bone/ snub people, and face ur front like someone serious without looking sideways. if they greet u fine...and if they don't, it's not all the time u have to greet.
10. Reduce ur argument and charter when u don't have something reasonable to say especially with people of low mind...
11...Then get a girlfriend if u don't have. Guys also respect u when ladies come around to fvvck u or come around as ur babe grin

12. Get a job and your personal apartment if you don't have. It will help to project you as a serious responsible perosn

No 9 is out of it.
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Halle000: 4:18pm On Jul 17, 2021
Davido Me and Burna can't have wahala, we be brothers. I am happy for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9iNmxrFcqA
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by authority2006(m): 4:20pm On Jul 17, 2021
GeneralKoko:
I have been a victim of disrespect over the years from mainly my friends. I don't know if it is because I'm too free or too playful but I hardly gain the respect of people.

Thanks

How are your friends disrespecting you? Let's start from there
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by GeneralKoko(m): 4:22pm On Jul 17, 2021
luvmijeje:
In addition to what everyone have said, please learn to respect yourself. If you don't have personal respect for yourself no one will respect you.

Personal respect is consciously not doing things that will make others to disrespect you. You can't tell me you don't know why are you are being disrespected. Stop getting on people's nerves.

Thanks a lot . I think it's because I'm the last born of my parents hence I am very free and playful and I trust too much so people take advantage of me

1 Like

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by GeneralKoko(m): 4:23pm On Jul 17, 2021
MrBrownJay1:

there is nothing you can do to regain the respect from your friends, after years of disrespect. you might as well get rid of these bastard people you call friends, and find better people in your life.

I've gotten rid of some but the new ones have started to misbehave.
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by GeneralKoko(m): 4:24pm On Jul 17, 2021
Stupidquestions:

We learn everyday....
And I forgot a point...reduce the way you ask questions...some questions may be troubling or unreasonable..yes, asking too many questions from people might make u seem like u don't know shit....so reduce questions to minimum
And reduce how u complain to people who don't matter a bit to ur problem

Wow . I think this is helpful, thanks!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by HRSweetness(f): 4:26pm On Jul 17, 2021
Stupidquestions:

As regards the billionaires, These are social etiquette in public places...or at work where people try to project certain imagine.
But greetings doesn't have to be all the time on the street, or among certain friends or people....That's my own take. I greet people, but I deliberately don't cos some people won't greet u until u greet them....
Moving with gals command some respect either u like it or not....I'm not talking of married men here who maybe be seen as promiscous...I'm talking of guyman...
....Even gals get curious abt u when. They see u with gals occasionally

LOL. SMH
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Ghostmode2two(m): 4:28pm On Jul 17, 2021
GeneralKoko:

Thanks

Respect yourself first then it will come naturally
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by hollowpot15684(m): 4:29pm On Jul 17, 2021
GeneralKoko:

Thanks

Light do not seek for respect in darkness, salt do not seek for respect in the food, a city built upon the hills do not seek to be seen. You cannot answer a question of "Who" with "How".

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Gloriouspraise: 4:31pm On Jul 17, 2021
Change your circle , simple as abc
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:32pm On Jul 17, 2021
GeneralKoko:
I've gotten rid of some but the new ones have started to misbehave.

then the problem is definitely YOU... not them.
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by tiger28: 4:43pm On Jul 17, 2021
Like the saying goes.." FAMILIARITY brings disrespect" . Be less visible to ppl, Be an enigma, dont be figured out, respect yourself, be a man of little words, don't try to initiate conversation ( I can be in the same car with you for 10 hours and don't say nothing to you) .....keep quiet and you will see ppl trying hard to initiate conversation with you. Ppl don't understand the POWER OF SILENCE.....that's my secret weapon, it always work mostly with big boys, don't look or sound impressed with anything and you will see their ego drop.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by deavicky(m): 4:44pm On Jul 17, 2021
GeneralKoko:

Thanks
don't allow them to be doing things for you. Try not be a Burden to them.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by seanwilliam(m): 4:45pm On Jul 17, 2021
Inculcate wizkid’s behavior

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Donzychris: 4:45pm On Jul 17, 2021
Stupidquestions:

i stand with this
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by angelfallz(m): 4:52pm On Jul 17, 2021
Also follow Reno Omokri on Facebook. That man dishes out serious life changing advice

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by SweetDipBenny(m): 4:52pm On Jul 17, 2021
Make money
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Highlyrespected(m): 4:55pm On Jul 17, 2021
Stupidquestions:

You said it all bro
For you to be respected you must be a responsible man with high self-esteem cool

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Onyi22(f): 4:57pm On Jul 17, 2021
Good
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by Lukman2: 5:00pm On Jul 17, 2021
Be simple and humble
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by BinamRex: 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2021
GeneralKoko:

Thanks

You know what your problem is, but you still brought it here. Stop being too free or too playful.

Your friends won't disrespect you if they are truly your friends.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by OGhoney: 5:06pm On Jul 17, 2021
Stupidquestions:

Say no more this is the Genesis to revelation of gaining respect

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by evioke(m): 5:07pm On Jul 17, 2021
Stupidquestions:

You nailed it.
Re: Help!!! How Do I Gain Respect From People by sylve11: 5:20pm On Jul 17, 2021
Stupidquestions:

On point. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Who Spent 20-Years Living In A Mountain Cave (photos) / Nkwuda Allyboi, Student Of EBSU Dies In Ghastly Motor Accident (Photos) / The Snake I Killed This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.