Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,909 members, 7,952,656 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:24 PM

Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion (20049 Views)

Should Church Music Instrumentalists Be Paid For Their Duties? / Pastor Ibiyeomie Warns Drummers And Other Church Workers / Father Ebube Muonso Buys Cars For 8 Church Workers As Christmas Gifts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion by ABANGWABOI(m): 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2021
Every business employee should be paid.. simple..
Re: Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion by hupernikao: 5:33pm On Jul 18, 2021
Ogaga87:
1 Timothy 5:18 (KJV) For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Your quote has changed the whole meaning and intent of the writer/author.
This is a typical example of quoting out of context. It has been the rudiment of doctrinal problem today.
Text of the scriptures must be explained in context and not used as a quotation. No one quote in the scriptures, they were explaining the scriptures based on its context.

Below is what the verse you quoted explained in context.

1 Timothy 5:18 (KJV)
17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
18 For the scripture saith, thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Pay attention to the emphasis.

1. Elders
2. Rule Well
3. Labor in the word/doctrine

Hence the elder is a teacher of the word, and a LABORER of the WORD.

This isnt speaking about church administration.

You may need to find another verse to defend others who you think should be taken care of.

Paul said same in Galatians 6:6
Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.

The emphasis is the teacher of the word. He is the labourer.

Same in 1 Thess 5
12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which[b] labour among you[/b], and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake.

He is a laborer in the word. Usually the one who is teaching you the word. Most times in present day, will refer to the Pastor of the church.

That is what the scripture teaches.

Now, whether this implies a salary structure or not is subject to interpretation. B[i]ut it is clear that you give well and support he that labor over you (one who teaches you God's word)[/i]

1 Like

Re: Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion by Stallione(m): 5:45pm On Jul 18, 2021
Mba, they will go hungry because they are church workers cos priests, pastors and reverends doesnt eat abi. If its just God's work, i suggest after offering all the monies collected shld be burnt (burnt offering nah) and everyone goes home.
Re: Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion by Mohbola(f): 6:06pm On Jul 18, 2021
As long as pastors are getting paid
Re: Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion by Gfskw: 6:49pm On Jul 18, 2021
Yes
Re: Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion by Darkblood: 8:05pm On Jul 18, 2021
It's business, they should get paid
Bola146:
No, it's God's work, He only can pay His workers.
Re: Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 18, 2021
Church workers reward is in heaven.
Re: Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion by anthropizzy(m): 9:27am On Jul 19, 2021
In my view church workers should be paid stipends inorder to encourage and motivate them. After all these church workers are humans and they have bills to pay,Infact it will reduce stealing from the church coffers.
Re: Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion by Ochelyko1: 3:58pm On Jul 19, 2021
WriterX:
Having served in a church in probably all fields, Technical, Cleaning, Instruments, Choir, Ushery and a lot , I was wondering about the opinion that apart from a pastor if it is right to pay church workers, what does the bible say about it and what are your own personal opinions about this?

I do think it is not a bad idea at all, as much as church work is more of a responsibility than a job, it is still a job in some sense, i just think,
perhaps some sort of financial support would be beneficial especially in large churches.

what are your opinions?

First what does the Bible say? First read the scripture, was the Apostles paid for working in the vine yard of God? No! Jesus said when he comes his reward will be in his hand and to give to every man accordingly to his work.

So from the standard and pattern of God on how the Church of Christ should be. No body not even the pastor's should be paid at all. But every one that has need will be melt among the brethrens just as we see in Acts of apostles.

But in our denomination Churches of today I can't say anything in regards to it but I will say that they should be paid bcus today's church is a business centers so nor be only the pastor's go they enjoyed the money let the workers eat also.
Re: Should Church Workers Be Paid?- What Is Your Opinion by blessedblavk: 5:10pm On Jan 28
Wow
I read a lot of responses from the post of @ENEMYOFGOD. The major mistake some of you are doing is taking things out of the contexts. He never stopped or cursed any Instrumentalist's but a man that have walked with God over the years is tell you as a advise

if you want to come out of poverty, don't embark on the path of saying I want to be an instrumentalist so churches can hire me.

If you can list one instrumentalist that is wealthy, and it was his/her salary that made him/her rich, and wealth state their name's with a link as proof. Then you can disproof his statement.

There is a common saying. "Advise nor be curse".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Interview With Sinach / How To Stop Eating In Your Dreams Permanently / Human Rights Group Calls For Commutal Of Rev King’s Sentence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.