Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:40 PM

Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses (56168 Views)

Why Are So Many Christians Against Jehovah Witnesses ? Why ? / Five Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses. / 400 Jehovah's Witnesses In Angola Pass Out Due To Toxic Gas At A Convention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by DappaD: 8:56am On Jul 25, 2021
MOSCOW -- In a bright, spotless apartment in a Moscow suburb, a small circle of people sat around a table in December 2019. Bowls of candies and teapots were set out, along with salads.

The group opened the meeting with a prayer and a hymn -- most of them shy and just murmuring along, raising their voices a little above some background music played on a television showing a preacher in a suit.

The people present were Jehovah's Witnesses -- a Christian religious group first founded in the United States in the 19th century but now has an estimated 8 million followers around the world.

In many countries, such meetings would be nothing unusual. But in Russia, authorities now treat them as illegal, designating them as gatherings of "extremists."

That means attendees meet in secret. Before arriving, they check the street for police. As they meet, they know there is a risk of officers knocking at the door or even breaking it down. If they are arrested, they could face years in prison.

These are the fears Jehovah's Witnesses have lived with in Russia since the group was outlawed in the country in 2017. The Russian supreme court that year banned the religion as "extremist," and in doing so unleashed what is perhaps one of the worst but most mysterious persecution campaigns in Russia.

The estimated 175,000 adherents in Russia are now equated with members of dangerous terrorist organizations. The community has been subjected to hundreds of raids and arrests by Russian security forces and, in some places, alleged torture. Across Russia, hundreds have been charged as "extremists," and dozens have been jailed in a campaign that human rights groups have struggled to explain.

Banned under the Soviet Union and authorized in the liberal years following its collapse, the renewed persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses is seen by some as the frightening return of Soviet oppression once thought gone as well as a reflection of how security services under President Vladimir Putin are turning the clock back on dissent.

"We are talking about a group of people who are practicing their religion peacefully, who are not carrying out any violent actions, who are not interfering with public order," said Tanya Lokshina, the Human Rights Watch associate director for Europe and Central Asia.

"And those people are treated as dangerous criminals. As, quote unquote, 'extremists.'"

MORE ON:
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/International/russias-mysterious-campaign-jehovahs-witnesses/story?id=78629389&id=78629389&__twitter_impression=true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLFTXMErU2Q

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by temitope27(m): 9:36am On Jul 25, 2021
Putin is an insane being

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by haddeylium(m): 9:53am On Jul 25, 2021
Jehovah's Witnesses are peace loving people and we follow and obey the law of whatever country we reside and seek peace with our neighbors without the use of FORCE. We pay our taxes and no country has anything to FEAR from US.

We are encouraged by the FAITH of our Russian brothers and sisters and their enduring heart in this critical times. Their strength and faithfulness is a joy to behold. They are in our prayers and Jehovah will continue to SUPPORT them.

345 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by kayuseful: 9:59am On Jul 25, 2021
Russia's government under Putin is not too different from the Chinese communist party.
If you're enjoying democracy as it should be, better thank God and seek to protect it at all costs. I have never seen any JW group that is forceful or violent. They won't force you to become their members, yet they're proscribed.
Anyway, time and time again, persecution ends up strengthening the church

164 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by haddeylium(m): 10:01am On Jul 25, 2021
temitope27:
Putin is an insane being

Putin is just a POLITICIAN. Times past, he has bestowed this 'extremist' JWs parent as model family worthy of emulation.

However, Putin(Russia) actions now really come’s down to the governments strong relationship with the Russian Orthodox church and how they (the orthodox church) have for a long time felt very uneasy about the massive growth of Jehovah’s witnesses within that country.
Putin still needs ROC support and members if he's serious add wants to continue as a politician.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by XXXXTENTACION: 10:03am On Jul 25, 2021
Very good move... undecided

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by haddeylium(m): 10:05am On Jul 25, 2021
kayuseful:
Russia's government under Putin is not too different from the Chinese communist party.
If you're enjoying democracy as it should be, better thank God and seek to protect it at all costs. I have never seen any JW group that is forceful or violent. They won't force you to become their members, yet they're proscribed.
Anyway, time and time again, persecution ends up strengthening the church

Hmnnn...
Kayus, thanks for your kind comment. I couldn't agree more with you. Some might see my agreement with your comment as a self-serving one because I'm one. Nice to hear this from a non-witness
Have a terrific day

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by chatinent: 10:16am On Jul 25, 2021
XXXXTENTACION:
Very good move... undecided

But your pastors use hell fire to scare you not to talk after they sacked pastors who couldn't extort tithes and offerings from gullible church members?

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by Aidejay(m): 10:31am On Jul 25, 2021
At least they are non- violent unlike the islamist of northern Nigerian persuasion who will behead somebody for blasphemy. And call that the will of God.

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by DappaD: 10:40am On Jul 25, 2021
haddeylium:
Jehovah's Witnesses are peace loving people and we follow and obey the law of whatever country we reside and seek peace with our neighbors without the use of FORCE. We pay our taxes and no country has anything to FEAR from US.
We are encouraged by the FAITH of our Russian brothers and sisters and their enduring heart in this critical times. Their strength and faithfulness is a joy to behold. They are in our prayers and Jehovah will continue to SUPPORT them.

Weldone my brother.

Yes. It’s really shocking. People who have the highest regard for human life and are normally opposed to violence, who would not even ‘hurt a fly’ at it seems are put on par with terrorist organizations like Al Qaeda, Isis etc.

Surely, it doesn’t surprise us since our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ faced a similar situation. This man while on earth taught his disciples to always be peaceable with all sorts of men and not to retaliate when wronged. Matthew 5:9, 39

But imagine him being considered worse off than someone who was known as a robber, seditionist and a murderer ?
Surely that doesn’t make sense since this man was always opposed to violence. Matthew 26:52, John 18:11

Since that happened to our Master, we who are his slaves should not expect anything less to happen to us(Matthew 10:22-25, John 15:18-21) and in the end it proves that we are Jesus’ true disciples. Matthew 5:10-12

P.S. I do hope you’re enjoying the regional convention program my brother. I’ve already picked quite a number of points I’m going to steadily work on in the field ministry.

67 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by haddeylium(m): 10:43am On Jul 25, 2021
Aidejay:
At least they are violent like the islamist of northern Nigerian persuasion who will behead somebody for blasphemy. And call that the will of God.

I think the word you're looking for is 'non-violet'.
They don't believe in the use of force as a resolution for PEACE. They don't even participate in war and kill people.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by Aidejay(m): 10:44am On Jul 25, 2021
haddeylium:

I think the word you're looking for is 'non-violet'.
They don't believe in the use of force as a resolution for PEACE. They don't even participate in war and kill people.
corrected!

3 Likes

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by DappaD: 10:45am On Jul 25, 2021
kayuseful:
Anyway, time and time again,
persecution ends up strengthening the church

Good morning.
What you ended your comment with is aptly covered at this lovely Bible scripture: Romans 8:37-39
“On the contrary, in all these things we are coming off completely victorious through the one who loved us. For I am convinced that neitherdeath nor life nor angels nor governments nor things now here nor things to come nor powers nor height nor depth nor any other creation will be able to separate us from God’s love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 25, 2021
Russia government can only persecute JEHOVAH witnesses, but our sole loyalty is to Jehovah. Our love for all men, whether jw or not, will never be broken. Hopefully, even some of the persecutors may even realise and worship Jehovah for the rest of their lives

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by haddeylium(m): 1:39pm On Jul 25, 2021
DappaD:

Weldone my brother.

Yes. It’s really shocking. People who have the highest regard for human life and are normally opposed to violence, who would not even ‘hurt a fly’ at it seems are put on par with terrorist organizations like Al Qaeda, Isis etc.

Surely, it doesn’t surprise us since our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ faced a similar situation. This man while on earth taught his disciples to always be peaceable with all sorts of men and not to retaliate when wronged. Matthew 5:9, 39

But imagine him being considered worse off than someone who was known as a robber, seditionist and a murderer ?
Surely that doesn’t make sense since this man was always opposed to violence. Matthew 26:52, John 18:11

Since that happened to our Master, we who are his slaves should not expect anything less to happen to us(Matthew 10:22-25, John 15:18-21) and in the end it proves that we are Jesus’ true disciples. Matthew 5:10-12

P.S. I do hope you’re enjoying the regional convention program my brother. I’ve already picked quite a number of points I’m going to steadily work on in the field ministry.

That Jesus wasn't joking when he said to his disciples that;

“Keep in mind the word I said to you: A slave is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have observed my word, they will also observe yours” - John 15:20

Yeah! Alotttttt. Nothing more that I need wink. Can we be having this program everyday? lol
Have a great day brother!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by 192skillbest: 5:54pm On Jul 25, 2021
Okay
Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by Chijeep(m): 5:54pm On Jul 25, 2021
Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by worlexy(m): 5:54pm On Jul 25, 2021
Many people have died from the extremist’s view of Jehovah witness that their members should not receive blood transfusion because of the twisted Bible verse that children of God should not drink the blood of animals like the occultists do.

How does drinking animal blood and receiving blood transfusion to save one’s life be interpreted as the same?

Jehovah witness should stop this extremism and allow people live.

Blood loss is the number killer of women during childbirth in this part of the world, and to reduce or stop death from blood loss is by blood transfusion which the teachings of JW stand against and this has been leading many into early grave.

55 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by YungMillionaire: 5:55pm On Jul 25, 2021
You mean those idiats that will be knocking loud on people's doors without invitation? Then please crack down on them.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by Dailymice: 5:55pm On Jul 25, 2021
cool
Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by Glink2018(m): 5:56pm On Jul 25, 2021
chatinent:

But your pastors use hell fire to scare you not to talk after they sacked pastors who couldn't extort tithes and offerings from gullible church members?

Irrational comment like the person that typed it

3 Likes

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 25, 2021
Jehovah witness like seriously?.. if Jehovah witness is really a problem in this country, everything for don better...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by omoadeleye(m): 5:56pm On Jul 25, 2021
But no campaign against unnecessary nuclear weapons on natures.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by YungMillionaire: 5:57pm On Jul 25, 2021
haddeylium:
I think the word you're looking for is 'non-violet'.They don't believe in the use of force as a resolution for PEACE. They don't even participate in war and kill people.

Wrong. The phrase he wants is 'not violent.'

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by careytommy37(m): 5:57pm On Jul 25, 2021
undecided
Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by Seniorwriter(m): 5:57pm On Jul 25, 2021
Putin is a sick wicked leader.

Deep Quote:
People suffer when there is a bad leadership in power.
Jmarjr:

can u compare the condition of russia n nigeria?
What's your point exactly? What is bad remains bad no two ways explaining it.
So if someone has a terminal disease you'll wait till the person has several before u'll agree he has a terminal disease right?
SMH @your comment...kindly don't quote me for just quoting sakes ...i prefer productive comments one can learn from.
Be guided.

@Seniorwriter

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by konkonbilo(m): 5:57pm On Jul 25, 2021
angry
Re: Russia’s Mysterious Campaign Against Jehovah’s Witnesses by Sonnobax15(m): 5:57pm On Jul 25, 2021
undecided
In as much as I detest jehovah witnesses,I don't support this......As a matter of fact,I think this is an indirect fight against the whole of christianity......Na small small na....After dem don succeed pursue jehovah witnesses comot finish,dem go cor enter the other christians...

Wetin even concern me self....I'm just a holy pagan who believes in God..

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Apostle Chibuzor Gift Chinyere: A Homeless Man Turned General Overseer / T.B Joshua's New Vision About Buhari, Nigeria: "Pray For President Buhari" / Daddy Freeze: "Pastor Said I Will Die In 24 Months Over Tithe, Free The Sheeple"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.