Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,930 members, 7,810,588 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:37 AM

Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic - Computers (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic (25612 Views)

Lwhere Can I Get Lenovo E520 Power Ic In Phc / IC Diamond Thermal Comound Needed / URGENTLY In Need Of Gigabyte Motherboard Power IC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:33pm On Sep 07, 2022
yadudu:
You can also, just leave your number here for me to call you and discuss it before I come

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 11:38am On Sep 08, 2022
Part number: La-j474p

Fault: No display

According to the engr,mobo shut down while using and refuse to display after power on.

I backup the BIOS file and get the BID number,then reprogram another file with same BID number, power it on and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by vichaz10(m): 2:34pm On Sep 08, 2022
udemzyudex:

If you're in lag,you can reach me on 08064824259

Sure, I'd call you...thanks

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:06am On Sep 10, 2022
Dim display jugaad.

According to the engr,he tried another flex and screen but still get the dim display issue.

19v was available on board and screen, same with 3.3v,since it's a 40pin module lvds screen,I decided to perform this jugaad.

If you pay close attention to the screen connector you will notice it.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Samfilo31(m): 8:06pm On Sep 15, 2022
I keep having this on every boot up

Please wats de way forward

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 11:50pm On Sep 15, 2022
Samfilo31:
I keep having this on every boot up

Please wats de way forward

Reprogram a new bios file, another option is downloading directly from HP support website, since you can enter desktop,just go to HP support website , software and drivers.

Type in the serial number or model number into the search box, select the BIOS option and download it,after that run and follow the instructions according but make sure adapter is connected while doing this.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 6:41am On Sep 18, 2022
Part number: DAOR33MB6E0 REV E
Fault: plugin in not charging

Charging section is one of the complicated part of laptop motherboard because it has a lot to deal with not just voltage but current and frequency.

If there's an issue with current it will amper the charging,if there's no frequency of 9 duty circle communicating with SIO via the programming section (SDA,SCL) then there will issues too.

Apparently,this was a current issue,19v was entering the motherboard and charging ic requirements was ok but VIN MOSFET impedance was low even though it was sending in 19v to the motherboard.
I replaced the 3 leg MOSFET and mobo charges fine.

That's why it is always important to start from the beginning.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by lambsbread: 12:46pm On Sep 22, 2022
udemzyudex, please can you help me with where I can get casing for my HP15 laptop?

I also need help with MacBook Pro mid-2012 corei5 motherboard
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 12:47am On Sep 23, 2022
lambsbread:
udemzyudex, please can you help me with where I can get casing for my HP15 laptop?

I also need help with MacBook Pro mid-2012 corei5 motherboard

Which of the HP 15 laptop casing?
You can WhatsApp me on 08064724259 with the pictures.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Blaqq2: 11:23pm On Oct 01, 2022
Abeg udemzyudex
I get issue with my acer spin 5 motherboard
So water mistakenly got into it, I drained the water completely and the pc would turn on but the screen won't come up
Then after messing with my motherboard, it didn't charge nor turn on again
I later found out that one of the ic burned.
Once I plug in the system the ic starts burning
Any hope
Am in Abuja
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:05am On Oct 02, 2022
Blaqq2:
Abeg udemzyudex
I get issue with my acer spin 5 motherboard
So water mistakenly got into it, I drained the water completely and the pc would turn on but the screen won't come up
Then after messing with my motherboard, it didn't charge nor turn on again
I later found out that one of the ic burned.
Once I plug in the system the ic starts burning
Any hope
Am in Abuja

The standby ic(power ic) is getting very hot ,chai this is a bad sign ooo.

There's a 90% chance that your Soc is bad ( your motherboard is completely dead)
Unlike older generations where the SIO is mostly affected and can be easily replace when such case occurs,the newer gen kills the whole chip completely because the Processor and PCH is embedded into one chip (Soc)

The remaining 10% I can divide it into 2, 5% it could be that the power ic itself is bad or 5% other section it is going apart from the PCH is bad.

If you're lucky to see someone that can help replace the Soc ( the machine is very expensive only few people have it) or you replace the laptop motherboard.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Blaqq2: 2:31pm On Oct 02, 2022
Wetin you talk now weak me oo, because I took it to someone and he was unable to repair it.
Do you know anybody in Abuja that could help
The board itself is over 100k and the dollar limit sef its not helping.

So I should just forget about the system and get a new one?
udemzyudex:

There's a 90% chance that your Soc is bad ( your motherboard is completely dead)
Unlike older generations where the SIO is mostly affected and can be easily replace when such case occurs,the newer gen kills the whole chip completely because the Processor and PCH is embedded into one chip (Soc)

The remaining 10% I can divide it into 2, 5% it could be that the power ic itself is bad or 5% other section it is going apart from the PCH is bad.

If you're lucky to see someone that can help replace the Soc ( the machine is very expensive only few people have it) or you replace the laptop motherboard.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Blaqq2: 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2022
Also could you like point out the main cause for this problem is it the wrong charger or the water?
udemzyudex:

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 5:45pm On Oct 02, 2022
Blaqq2:
Also could you like point out the main cause for this problem is it the wrong charger or the water?

You said after messing with the board it didn't charge or turn on again.

Your PCH can only take 3.3v in rare cases especially in older models you will 5v, if anything other than 3.3v especially in newer models goes into the PCH it will fry the chip.
If there's a bridge of small voltage plus high voltage,it will toast it.

Just like your CPU that can take less than 1.0v ,if anything higher bridge with this,it will toast the CPU and that's it.

Probably there was a bridge somewhere,while you were checking the laptop.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Blaqq2: 7:50pm On Oct 02, 2022
So any hope
Or I should trash the pc
The pc na my life
Na wetin I dey use code
udemzyudex:

You said after messing with the board it didn't charge or turn on again.

Your PCH can only take 3.3v in rare cases especially in older models you will 5v, if anything other than 3.3v especially in newer models goes into the PCH it will fry the chip.
If there's a bridge of small voltage plus high voltage,it will toast it.

Just like your CPU that can take less than 1.0v ,if anything higher bridge with this,it will toast the CPU and that's it.

Probably there was a bridge somewhere,while you were checking the laptop.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:45pm On Oct 02, 2022
Blaqq2:
So any hope
Or I should trash the pc
The pc na my life
Na wetin I dey use code

Na to order the board ooo or better still enter eBay you go surely see goo deals like bad screen,no SSD but motherboard working at cheaper rate or something similar but not fully functional but at least the motherboard is working at a cheaper rate.

Less than buying a new motherboard,you can check it out.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:56am On Oct 09, 2022
Part number: La-9104p

The engr brought it for repair, saying it's a BIOS issue,I reprogram the BIOS like he said but problem still persist.

I noticed the CPU was slightly heating up, which means it wasn't getting all required voltage to power it up.

After diagnosing,I noticed the source of UZ1 was not getting thr required voltage, which means that N-channel MOSFET of this DC/DC section was not switching.

A simple fix can be done by just running a jumper wire from the drain to source of the MOSFET,I did just that and the processor heat up properly.

Base on how this laptop works, display won't come to pen drive untill screen is connected, after connecting the screen there's still no display but got 5 beeps sounds, indicating that CMOS battery is missing,after putting that CMOS battery, display comes and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Enigma123: 10:34pm On Oct 11, 2022
My water entered my hp elitebook 840 G2 and I didn't know and I was using it to watch film. Later when I plugged it to light, the pc went off. And I tried to put it on bit didn't work. But on rare occasion it comes on but goes back off after a few seconds when booting. But now it doesn't come on again, can my board be repaired.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:36am On Oct 12, 2022
Enigma123:
My water entered my hp elitebook 840 G2 and I didn't know and I was using it to watch film. Later when I plugged it to light, the pc went off. And I tried to put it in bit didn't work. Bit on rare occasion it comes on but goes back off after a few seconds when booting. But now it doesn't come on again, can my board be repaired.

It can be repaired.

You can reach me on 08064724259
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:11pm On Oct 22, 2022
Part number : la-c381p

Fault : halt and no power.

This mobo was brought in for repair, apparently it has been worked on ,the client affirm that some laptop technicians tried to fix it.

There was a partial contact with the board and the carcass, once the board is taken out it will power on but when placed back it doesn't power,I had to check where the fault is, since it was taking more time to detect a particular point,I had to cover the board with nylon shrink wrapper after that I noticed board doesn't power on by itself when power button is press.

The power button was getting 1.338v instead of 3.3v, the 1.3v can not trigger the board,since there's no schematic to trace this will take time,I check the sio part and got the faulty resistor.

I replace with a 3k resistor and mobo work fine.

It is good to always start from the beginning when reading mobo voltages.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:19pm On Oct 22, 2022
Part number: la-7731p

According to the engr,the BIOS is corrupt and need a reprogramming.
After that board still didn't display to screen,after diagnosis I noticed the 5v DC to DC was not switching properly,a jumper was run from drian to source of Q55 using juggad and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:40pm On Oct 23, 2022
There are basic things one need to put into consideration when trying to fix the mobo, you need to know if the board you're working on is an ALWS board or SUSPENSE board but before that the physical checking for burnt or liquid damage needs to be check too.

It's also important you check for any short to ground on each section before connecting the charger or DC power supply, if the VIN section is fine,it will go to the standby ic and in return it will generate the LDO voltage and send it to section it is required to start working.

The LDO 3.3v goes to SIO, battery connector,PCH, RTC,power button, LAN ic etc.

Some listed sections are were you can easily check for the LDO if it is available before proceeding.
You can easily check the power button for 3.3v , the battery connector, RTC diode and SIO if you're familiar with it.

In some Elitebook, especially in cases where the laptop turns on when the CMOS battery is removed,you can shut it down with the power button but can't turn it on.

The power button voltage is always low and if you get a voltage like 1.8v or 1.3v, this will not trigger your laptop, a voltage of 2.4v above can still do the triggering.

Always check these points for voltages before proceeding, for PCH, since it has no pins to measure the voltage you can easily check the impedance of the RTC diode or main BIOS pin 8 since this goes to the PCH,for short in the PCH section.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:47pm On Nov 30, 2022
La-b441p

Fault: power on and off

The dell laptop was brought in for repair, according to the engr,it powers on and off back immediately.

I noticed the processor tries to come up during this process,and 1.05v was generating and back,in this type of situation,the first thing to do is reprogram the BIOS.

After flashing the BIOS,mobo came back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Adewale1603(m): 8:38pm On Dec 04, 2022
udemzyudex:
La-b441p

Fault: power on and off

The dell laptop was brought in for repair, according to the engr,it powers on and off back immediately.

I noticed the processor tries to come up during this process,and 1.05v was generating and back,in this type of situation,the first thing to do is reprogram the BIOS.

After flashing the BIOS,mobo came back to life.
pls I want to ask a question, I have a dell studio 1555 laptop, the keyboard suddenly started misbehaving like some keys will start pressing on its own continuously, without pressing them. I have tried some solutions, like uninstalling and reinstalling back the keyboard driver. remove battery and charger and press power button to discharged residual power from system. another I encounter is that if I remove battery from the system, the whole keyboard doesn't work at all. but if I insert the battery back, it begins to work back and some keys keeps pressing back on their own. is the keyboard faulty or what could be the problems
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:16pm On Dec 04, 2022
Adewale1603:
pls I want to ask a question, I have a dell studio 1555 laptop, the keyboard suddenly started misbehaving like some keys will start pressing on its own continuously, without pressing them. I have tried some solutions, like uninstalling and reinstalling back the keyboard driver. remove battery and charger and press power button to discharged residual power from system. another I encounter is that if I remove battery from the system, the whole keyboard doesn't work at all. but if I insert the battery back, it begins to work back and some keys keeps pressing back on their own. is the keyboard faulty or what could be the problems

The keyboard is bad, you'll have to replace it.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 7:26am On Jan 04, 2023
Part number: 6050a2560201
Fault: power on and off.

This is a 850 g1 laptop,it shares the same board with the 840 ,the only difference is the heatsink because one is 15.6inch and the other is 14.1inch.

The engr brought it for repair and said it's a BIOS issue,after reprogramming the BIOS I noticed fault was still there, after diagnosing the mobo,the DC/DC section was faulty.

Pin 4 of Q7151 was missing the 1.05M voltage, for a quick fix,i put a jumper wire from pin1 to pin4 and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Samfilo31(m): 5:33am On Feb 01, 2023
The engineer himself

Please i would like to share dis with you to gain information, i replaced 2 battery 🔋 cells in elite book, de battery boot well with 65% battery juice, then i charge up but immediately it gets to 92% its start showing plug in not charging

I then had to unplug and use down de battery, it lasted 3hours 20mins but the problem is dat it refuse to charge more than 45% then it starts showing plug in not charging

Am asking what's ur idea on the solution to dis thanks
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:18am On Feb 01, 2023
Samfilo31:
The engineer himself

Please i would like to share dis with you to gain information, i replaced 2 battery 🔋 cells in elite book, de battery boot well with 65% battery juice, then i charge up but immediately it gets to 92% its start showing plug in not charging

I then had to unplug and use down de battery, it lasted 3hours 20mins but the problem is dat it refuse to charge more than 45% then it starts showing plug in not charging

Am asking what's ur idea on the solution to dis thanks

Try with another battery first, there's a bios chip in the battery cell that is program to communicate with the sio via SDA and CLK now that you change two cells there could be a confliction of information.
I'll suggest you use another battery but if problem persist,replace the boosting capacitor in the charging ic section.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Silas007(m): 10:07am On Feb 09, 2023
Part name: Dell latitude E5470
Fault: not coming on

I got the laptop as a gift from school, apparently the company were giving away second hand laptops to students. I took the laptop to an engr, he immediately diagnosed a "BIOS issue". After formatting the bios it still didn't come on. Once I plug in the charger, the fan will turn for about 3 seconds and stop. After a while it will turn for 3secs and stop. The system itself won't display. The indicator lights will come on and off occasionally too. While the charger is still plugged in, the laptop will be hot

Please what should I do?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:19pm On Mar 23, 2023
Hp pavilion laptop.
Laptop works fine with charger and also power on with battery but doesn't power on when charger and battery is connected.

The charging port indicator light goes off and mobo becomes dead.

In a case like this,it can happen either ways,it's either the battery voltage is going to the charging port positive line (in this case some times the AC fet or RB fet is short) or the VIN is going to the battery connector (in this case the discharging MOSFET is short)

I check the impedance of the VIN MOSFET and notice it is short to ground,I replace the MOSFET and mobo works fine with charger and battery connected.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:40pm On Mar 25, 2023
Power sequence HM77

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 7:41pm On Mar 26, 2023
Intel 100 series chipset
Intel 200 series chipset
Intel 300 series chipset
Intel 400 series chipset
Intel 500 series chipset
Intel 600 series chipset

All still follow the same power sequence from 6th generation to 12 generation and only have a little difference.
In older generation,you will see the 5v/3.3v alw voltage as the standby voltage but in recent ones,you'll see the 5v/3.3v, 1.8v and 1.0v alw.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Help! What Could Be Wrong With My Computer? / Boluwatife Aiki-Raji Appointed By Twitter As Lead Software Engineer / How To Transfer Videos To Ipad2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.