Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,912 members, 7,810,509 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:17 AM

Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic - Computers (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic (25611 Views)

Lwhere Can I Get Lenovo E520 Power Ic In Phc / IC Diamond Thermal Comound Needed / URGENTLY In Need Of Gigabyte Motherboard Power IC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:35am On May 16, 2023
255% battery percentage and laptop doesn't charge.
The engr tried another battery but problem persisted.

There was communication between the battery and the Sio via the SDA/CLK line.
The CLK resistor was missing, the engr knocked it off while brushing the area with fuel since it was corroded.
104ohm resistor was replaced and boom, laptop is charging.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 5:07am On May 17, 2023
Dell laptop doesn't charge,you get the AC adapter type and watt can not be determined error message when you power on the laptop.
On bios setup you'll get the adapter type unknown,and battery won't charge.

The engr brought this for repair,after checking the battery information on BIOS setup,I already confirmed it's a PS_ID issue, since the charging port is fine.

The PD5 diode was burnt,I just removed and that's all.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:00pm On Jul 01, 2023
Part number: 6050a2892401
Fault: No power

ADP_PRES_OUT voltage is fluctuating, after replacing Sio Mobo powers on but no display,I finally reprogram the BIOS and mobo works fine.

ADP_PRES_OUT is a new voltage rail from 6th gen above on compal board.
The input is ad_id and output adp_pres_out,in this case the voltage was fluctuating and not stable.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 1:13am On Jul 07, 2023
Part number: LA-9431P
Fault : not charging

This model have a charging fault ,and always give the AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined notification when powered on.
The adapter type is unknown.

This is a PSID logic fault on dell laptop,3.3v was getting to the charging port.
PQ2 was removed from the protection circuit ,and a 1k ohm resistor inserted at PR7 to bypass the protection circuit and help pass 3.3v from PR8 to PL3.

The voltage part was okay but still not charging,PR9 was open,a 33ohms resistor increases to 6k ohm, which was definitely affecting the current.
I replaced PR9 with a 0 ohms resistor and Mobo works well.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:27pm On Jul 08, 2023
HP 650
Fault: power on no display.

The RAM ic was heating up, after replacing the Tps51216 ic from a scrap board,I noticed the upper drain MOSFET was heating up too, replace it with another N- channel MOSFET,and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:21pm On Jul 12, 2023
ASUS laptop
Fault: Dead

19v was missing in the motherboard, the RB MOSFET was short.
I removed and replace with another N-channel MOSFET and mobo came back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:41pm On Jul 12, 2023
Part: X555LD
Fault: Not charging

This mobo came in with not charging issue, ACP and ACN from charging ic communication with CLR was missing.
I noticed the track was damage, I decided to jumper the line with insulated wire,mobo works fine now.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 7:18pm On Jul 13, 2023
Part number: La-9932p
Fault: Dead.

The dell laptop was not powering on, I noticed the CD3301 ic is burnt,this is a common issue on all Dell laptops with this IC.

Since it is scarce,I had to by pass it,after by passing it,that mobo works fine.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by router123(m): 10:15am On Jul 17, 2023
Bros how much does it cost to replace a USB port of a laptop
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 7:45am On Jul 18, 2023
router123:
Bros how much does it cost to replace a USB port of a laptop

What's the model of the laptop?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 11:38pm On Jul 29, 2023
1030 G2

Fault : Dim display

Jumper the 19v fuse cos it was bad only to find out it was a short, board refuse to turn on after connecting the screen flex, I later trace out the faulty caps and everything works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:00am On Aug 04, 2023
Part number: PLF/PLR/CSF/CSR DSC MB

Fault: no power

This Toshiba mobo comes with no power issue, charging ic was not releasing the ACOK voltage.

Back trace,the pin 20 was not getting 19v, the resistor R6012 was heating up,after replacing the pin1 was not getting getting 19v, then I check the c6026 for short.
After removing and replacing it, Mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by berbz(m): 4:22pm On Aug 10, 2023
Where is your office. I'm an engineer. I have two laptop from my client.

HP 6730b : coming on but doesn't display.

Acer laptop : takes time to display.

Pls drop your WhatsApp number and address.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:23am On Aug 12, 2023
berbz:
Where is your office. I'm an engineer. I have two laptop from my client.

HP 6730b : coming on but doesn't display.

Acer laptop : takes time to display.

Pls drop your WhatsApp number and address.

Sorry I'm just seeing this now.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 11:21pm On Aug 23, 2023
Part number : 6050a2560201
Fault: no power

Solution.
Rsmrst# was missing
1. Sio pin requirement are OK
2. Ec bios reprogrammed
3. 32.768khz was missing

After replacing the crystal clock mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Theyoungmaster(m): 5:04pm On Sep 20, 2023
Engr udemzyudex , boss i need your input.

I have a HP folio 9480m Core-i7 4th generation. I usually get up to 5hours back-up on the battery. 3 days ago, the battery suddenly went off at 26%. After recharging it to 100%, used it for 2 hours, it went off again at 42%
Same night, I noticed if i plug in my charger, it will be stuck at 0%, without adding at all. the charging indicator will still be on and it reflects plugged in at the battery icon on taskbar. what could be the problem sir?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:11pm On Sep 27, 2023
Part number: LA-E551P
Fault : Power on and off.

This Lenovo yoga, powers on and turn off within 3 seconds, 5v line was short to ground.
To know which part of 5v line is faulty, I isolate the coil by lifting one pin up to know if it's the IC side or the output side to other parts of the mobo that requires 5v.
Check the impedance of both pins and it turns out that the output side is faulty, i inject voltage into the line and the faulty cap at the USB side of the board was noticed, I then removed and replaced it, soldered back the isolated coil and check the impedance to confirm that short is gone.

Mobo now works fine after everything.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:57pm On Oct 09, 2023
Fault : Not powering.

The standby ic was not generating, 19v input track to the ic was burnt, I run a jumper wire from the burnt track to the ic and mobo got back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Poloman007: 2:03pm On Dec 02, 2023
I'm having power issues with my alienware 14

Charger led makes a spark sound and the led around the tip of the charger goes off
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 5:24pm On Dec 02, 2023
Poloman007:
I'm having power issues with my alienware 14

Charger led makes a spark sound and the led around the tip of the charger goes off

There's a short to ground on the laptop, don't connect the charger again.

You can reach me on 08064724259 if you're in lag.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Adewale1603(m): 6:25pm On Dec 06, 2023
udemzyudex:
Fault : Not powering.

The standby ic was not generating, 19v input track to the ic was burnt, I run a jumper wire from the burnt track to the ic and mobo got back to life.
what causes the ic to get burnt in the first place?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:11pm On Dec 06, 2023
Adewale1603:
what causes the ic to get burnt in the first place?

It was the track not the ic itself, it will definitely be overcurrent.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Ehimzy(m): 9:09am On Dec 09, 2023
Good morning, so I was using my laptop plugged in, after a while there was a loud pop sound and the laptop went off, it didn't come on or charge at all, I disconnected the battery and held the power button for a minute to fully discharge the pc and connected the battery back, it turned on after a few days and said something about a CMOS reset, I just clicked enter and it booted. Now the issue is when I plug in the charger the charging light is on and on windows it displays battery plugged in charging, but the charger doesn't get the slightest bit warm and the battery percentage doesn't move at all.. Engineer tried another battery and charger, same issue, I don't know what to do. It's a gaming laptop with a 200W Charger.. Hp Victus 16 .. Can you help me
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 7:59am On Dec 10, 2023
Ehimzy:
Good morning, so I was using my laptop plugged in, after a while there was a loud pop sound and the laptop went off, it didn't come on or charge at all, I disconnected the battery and held the power button for a minute to fully discharge the pc and connected the battery back, it turned on after a few days and said something about a CMOS reset, I just clicked enter and it booted. Now the issue is when I plug in the charger the charging light is on and on windows it displays battery plugged in charging, but the charger doesn't get the slightest bit warm and the battery percentage doesn't move at all.. Engineer tried another battery and charger, same issue, I don't know what to do. It's a gaming laptop with a 200W Charger.. Hp Victus 16 .. Can you help me

Good morning, looks like the laptop is not charging.

From what you wrote, I believe there's a problem with the charging section of the motherboard since you already tried another battery, you can as well try another charger too, test and see if it will charge before any payment but before that go to device manager, under battery, uninstall all the drivers and restart the laptop, it will automatically install the drivers back, after that check and see if it will charge.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Ehimzy(m): 8:21am On Dec 10, 2023
udemzyudex:

Good morning, looks like the laptop is not charging.

From what you wrote, I believe there's a problem with the charging section of the motherboard since you already tried another battery, you can as well try another charger too, test and see if it will charge before any payment but before that go to device manager, under battery, uninstall all the drivers and restart the laptop, it will automatically install the drivers back, after that check and see if it will charge.

Already tried another charger, it shows charging in windows and the charging light is on but the battery percentage doesn't increase even when left for a long time, how much do you think this will cost to fix? That is the charging section of the mother board
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:31am On Dec 10, 2023
Ehimzy:

Already tried another charger, it shows charging in windows and the charging light is on but the battery percentage doesn't increase even when left for a long time, how much do you think this will cost to fix? That is the charging section of the mother board

Budget #15k plus depending on the engr.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Ehimzy(m): 7:26pm On Dec 11, 2023
udemzyudex:

Budget #15k plus depending on the engr.

15k plus? Omo.. I was told they'll have to import part and it could be well over 200k because the laptop is rare
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:39pm On Dec 11, 2023
Ehimzy:

15k plus? Omo.. I was told they'll have to import part and it could be well over 200k because the laptop is rare

Yeah it is rare but then it depends on the type of part they're looking for, let's assume it's the charging ic, other similar laptops can use same charging ic, ic is not produce for one particular laptop.

They're interchangeable, and some have equivalent but then victus is a very expensive laptop and the person fixing will likely want to charge base on the price level of the laptop, just like when you're fixing a MacBook cheesy
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Ehimzy(m): 9:06am On Dec 12, 2023
udemzyudex:

Yeah it is rare but then it depends on the type of part they're looking for, let's assume it's the charging ic, other similar laptops can use same charging ic, ic is not produce for one particular laptop.

They're interchangeable, and some have equivalent but then victus is a very expensive laptop and the person fixing will likely want to charge base on the price level of the laptop, just like when you're fixing a MacBook cheesy

Can you direct me to any competent engineer
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 11:53am On Dec 29, 2023
Folio 9470
Fault : Fan not working.

According to the engr, the laptop complains of fan and shutdown after some seconds.
He has tried more than 3 fans but the problem still persist.

The SIO controls the fan, it measures the temperature, and trigger it to start working when the cpu temperature is high and also stop it too.

The fan ic, u4300 pin 1 was fluctuating, on the SIO part I was getting 3.2v but on the ic I was getting 1.8v,i replaced the u4300 ic with another one from a scrap board and the fan start working.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Rdadi: 3:53pm On Jan 12
Have a lappy acer aspire 7 doesnt work on battery except when plug few days it powers on but no display yet tried changing ram but to no avail changed ram ic but still the issue hvnt got resolved
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 3:20am On Jan 13
Rdadi:
Have a lappy acer aspire 7 doesnt work on battery except when plug few days it powers on but no display yet tried changing ram but to no avail changed ram ic but still the issue hvnt got resolved

Did you reprogram the bios chip?

If you have a DC power supply, you can easily check if it detect ram or not.

The DC reading takes more amps when ram is inserted, so if reading stays the same with and without ram, then you can check ram slot voltages, and you know ram ic, depending on the type it uses whether PC3/pc3L etc uses different voltage and terminating voltage which goes to the ram slot, before you change the ram ic, I'll assume the ram coil was not getting the required voltage?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Help! What Could Be Wrong With My Computer? / Boluwatife Aiki-Raji Appointed By Twitter As Lead Software Engineer / How To Transfer Videos To Ipad2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.