Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,220 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic (25581 Views)

Lwhere Can I Get Lenovo E520 Power Ic In Phc / IC Diamond Thermal Comound Needed / URGENTLY In Need Of Gigabyte Motherboard Power IC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:08am On Aug 08, 2021
Most times client do call and require for the amount it will cost to fix a laptop power IC, I believe they always come to this conclusion after taking their laptop to an engineer who just try to sum up everything for them.
While some just want to reduce the cost of repair by asking for the specific amount one can get the IC then add the workmanship to determine how much they can pay for fixing the job.

The truth is, it is not always the power IC that is the culprit for not making your laptop to power on.
The power on process of your laptop involves a lot of process, and if one is missing then there will always be an issue.
There are more than 3 chips and IC, and each of this chip and IC must meet a specific requirement to enable them work accordingly to fulfil that process of turning on your laptop.

Note that this is just to power it on, and doesn't involve the process it takes to make it display to desktop.
We have the :
1. VIN section
2. Charging IC
3. Standby IC (power IC)

4. ICH/PCH/Soc(depending on the architecture)

5. SIO a.k.a controller
6. RTC section
8. BIOS

Every chip/IC listed above is involve in one way or the other to power on your laptop.
I would have love to go into full details but that's not the main purpose of this thread.

You can see that the process is long and as a technician, one must know the basic requirements for every ic/chip and confirm that every requirement is met before he/she can identify which is bad.

I remember asking a client for the part number of the power IC he needed and he didn't know it, every laptop motherboard have a specific IC, some are interchangeable while some are not, the truth is the power IC is not even expensive, you can get 10 pieces for as low as #3000 or less depending on the type.
Now the problem is are you sure the power IC is really the problem? Imagine spending money to buy something and it doesn't work after replacing it?
When a technician fix your gadgets, you're not paying for components, you're paying for his/her experience.

Fixing a dedicated graphic laptop will likely take more time than fixing an old model because even though they almost follow the same power on process, recent technologies will require a different approach and it will cost more time and price of components will be high too.

The best thing to do is negotiate, talk to 2 or more competent technician and see the one that will help you fix it at an affordable price, some technician also charge base on the model of your laptop.

2 Likes

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 11:58am On Aug 08, 2021
This is a probook motherboard, it doesn't power on.
Connect it to the dc power supply and I noticed there was a short on the motherboard, the VIN section was short to ground.
Replace the bad caps mobo works fine now.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:14pm On Aug 09, 2021
Part number: DA0U87MB6C2
Power on no display

Fault = standby section 5v not generating.

This mobo uses two separate IC for 3.3v and 5v,the mobo powers on but not fully on with dc reading of 0.133-0.1336 amps.

Culprit : BST resistor of 5v section was open, replace and mobo comes back to life.

Since 5v coil is not generating it required voltage, one will think the standby ic (power IC) is faulty but it is not always the power IC cheesy

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:20am On Aug 18, 2021
One of the disadvantage of updating bios online.

These two laptops suddenly developed issues after the owner updated the bios online, the all in one desktop went blank and doesn't display to screen but only powers on while the dell vostro 3400 keep restarting every 3 secs and doesn't power on at all.

I reprogram both bios and everything works fine now.

Next time, before you decide to update your laptop bios online, try read reviews or better still detest from doing that because sometimes it might not go well.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by abatechz(m): 10:45am On Aug 18, 2021
nice thread, keep it up am subscribing

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Adewale1603(m): 1:05pm On Aug 18, 2021
udemzyudex:
One of the disadvantage of updating bios online.

These two laptops suddenly developed issues after the owner updated the bios online, the all in one desktop went blank and doesn't display to screen but only powers on while the dell vostro 3400 keep restarting every 3 secs and doesn't power on at all.

I reprogram both bios and everything works fine now.

Next time, before you decide to update your laptop bios online, try read reviews or better still detest from doing that because sometimes it might not go well.
how do they reprogram bios, is it on a hardware level thing, changing the bios or using softwares to reprogram it.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 1:36pm On Aug 18, 2021
Adewale1603:
how do they reprogram bios, is it on a hardware level thing, changing the bios or using softwares to reprogram it.

Check my profile pic, you will understand.

You will have to take out the bios chip from the board, get the bios file and reprogram it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 2:05pm On Aug 18, 2021
840 g1 laptop powers on, display Hp logo and shutdown immediately.

One of the resistor close to the SIO is open, replace the resistor and mobo works perfectly.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:53pm On Aug 19, 2021
Hp 14

Laptop powers on and shutdown after 4 sec without display.

Looks like it has been worked on by another engr but wasn't successful, cos a burnt component was removed.
All voltage was present except vcore section, flashed the bios but it wasn't successful.

After paying a close attention to the burnt component, I noticed it was a lead due to the letter PLZ1 , at first I thought it was a capacitor.

Cleared the area and run a jumper on it, and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:46pm On Aug 21, 2021
Toshiba, bios setup password removed.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:49pm On Aug 21, 2021
Folio 1020 G1

Display and some times it's doesn't, this is after bios was updated by the user.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Michaelphils(m): 9:28am On Aug 22, 2021
Seems you know your work very well. Best of luck

3 Likes

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Adewale1603(m): 2:23pm On Aug 22, 2021
udemzyudex:
Toshiba, bios setup password removed.
is it possible to bypass or know the bios password of a bios passworded laptop, set upon booting. Note: without clearing or resetting the cmos battery or removing cmos battery on the motherboard, how?

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 4:22pm On Aug 22, 2021
Adewale1603:
is it possible to bypass or know the bios password of a bios passworded laptop, set upon booting. Note: without clearing or resetting the cmos battery or removing cmos battery on the motherboard, how?

If you're the one that set it sure or you already know the password if not you will have to remove it.

If there is bios setup password you won't be able to do bios setup settings.
Some UK/US laptop always come with this password.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2021
Lenovo x201
Fault : dim display
Laptop screen back light doesn't come up,after testing another cable,I found out fault is from the mobo.

Replace the F1 fuse with a jumper lead , everything works fine

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:26pm On Aug 26, 2021
This is a very interesting case study, as a chip level technician, I work directly with other laptop technician.

This Asus motherboard with part number K55VD was brought in as no power, it doesn't power on with charger or battery.

Check for physical damage and I found a lot of corrosion especially on the SIO, then I use tina to wash the board and dry it.
After that, I check the impedance and noticed the 3.3v coil impedance was a little bit low.( first clue)

Plug in the charger to check if 19v is present and LDO voltage is generating,both of them were fine so I moved to the standby section coil and noticed there were reading 0.8v and 2.2v respectively,it ought to be 3.3v and 5v.

Possible cause
1. leaky LDO caps( but ldo is fine)
2 shorted pwm mosfet (they were fine after checking their impedance)
3. Short or leaky polarise filtration caps ( the culprit)

I remove and replace the polarise caps and standby voltage was stable, I connect the charger and mobo powers on and display.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:45pm On Aug 28, 2021
This is another example of "it is not always the power ic"

Stanby ic was not generating, check the coil impedance and noticed 5v line was short to ground, I isolated the coil to know if it is an input or output short.

It was an output short, so I inject volt on the output section and notice the polarise caps was heating up, I remove it and check the impedance again and notice the short was gone.

I replace it and connect back the charger, 3.3v/5v coil was reading fine now.

I trigger the power switch and mobo powers on.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:16pm On Sep 03, 2021
Dell on board password removed

840 G1 and G2 on board password removed.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:34pm On Sep 03, 2021
Toshiba laptop was brought in for repair by another engr.

Slp_s4# and Slp _s3# was not release by the pch to sio after pressing power button.

The sio will generate rsmrst# signal and send to pch, and in turn release the Slp signal.. These where missing.

The mobo comes with 2 bios chip 2mb and 4mb, one for sio and the other for pch.
Reprogram the 2mb sio bios chip and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:14pm On Sep 04, 2021
HP 840 G5

Power button keeps blinking, mobo doesn't turn on.

Fixed.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:16pm On Sep 04, 2021
840 G1 typical fault.

Mobo powers on and off immediately ( 1 sec)

Fixed
Powers on and display.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by captainbangz: 8:35am On Sep 05, 2021
udemzyudex:
840 G1 typical fault.

Mobo powers on and off immediately ( 1 sec)

Fixed
Powers on and display.
Boss, my Dell comes On, display Dell Logo, goes Off(repeatedly). My OS does Not Launch, But If I Press f12 during The Process, it Goes To One Menu Displaying Bios settings without Going Off. Please I Am Worried(should I Be?), its My First Computer and It Took Of Time To Raise Money to Buy It. It Was Running On Windows 10 before I Tried Resetting and Power Went Off!
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:56am On Sep 05, 2021
captainbangz:
Boss, my Dell comes On, display Dell Logo, goes Off(repeatedly). My OS does Not Launch, But If I Press f12 during The Process, it Goes To One Menu Displaying Bios settings without Going Off. Please I Am Worried(should I Be?), its My First Computer and It Took Of Time To Raise Money to Buy It. It Was Running On Windows 10 before I Tried Resetting and Power Went Off!

Chai, there's a possibility that the bios is corrupt or the operating system.

I always advise users to plug in charger when resetting, updating or formating their laptop.

If you're in lag I can help you fix it.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by captainbangz: 9:21am On Sep 05, 2021
udemzyudex:

I always advise users to plug in charger when resetting, updating or formating their laptop.

I am not in Lagos. From your experience, how much do you think it will cost to get things running again?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Adewale1603(m): 10:10am On Sep 05, 2021
udemzyudex:

it can not be the bios, if the bios is corrupted, he won't be able to enter into the bios menu by pressing F12. the system will not boot pass the dell logo symbol and keeps repeating in an endless cycle. its the Windows Operating system.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 2:01pm On Sep 05, 2021
Adewale1603:
it can not be the bios, if the bios is corrupted, he won't be able to enter into the bios menu by pressing F12. the system will not boot pass the dell logo symbol and keeps repeating in an endless cycle. its the Windows Operating system.

There are many parts of a bios, TXE region, ME region etc all have a particular function but let me not go into full details here.
A laptop can still access bios setup and not function properly it all depends on which section is bad, I believe you've heard or seen a laptop taking several minutes before displaying or just stuck on logo or even windows logo(sometimes bad RAM can cause this) that's why I'm not ruling that out.

I already gave two options, it can be the bios or operating system.

Most times you can't get full details of what the problem is by what a client/someone tells you unless you handle the laptop yourself, you can only give suggestions base on what you read.

But that's btw, I hope he gets a solution soon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 2:05pm On Sep 05, 2021
captainbangz:
I am not in Lagos. From your experience, how much do you think it will cost to get things running again?

Well there are no fix price for service rendering, so I can't really say, a job I charge for #5k I've heard fellow engrs charge over #20k for it.

It all depends on your negotiating skill, some charge base on the model of laptop.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Adewale1603(m): 4:10pm On Sep 05, 2021
udemzyudex:

There are many parts of a bios, TXE region, ME region etc all have a particular function but let me not go into full details here.
A laptop can still access bios setup and not function properly it all depends on which section is bad, I believe you've heard or seen a laptop taking several minutes before displaying or just stuck on logo or even windows logo(sometimes bad RAM can cause this) that's why I'm not ruling that out.

I already gave two options, it can be the bios or operating system.

Most times you can't get full details of what the problem is by what a client/someone tells you unless you handle the laptop yourself, you can only give suggestions base on what you read.

But that's btw, I hope he gets a solution soon.
from the explanations the guy gave, he was not updating the bios and power goes off, that could only corrupt the bios. but he was trying to restore or reset the windows 10 maybe through the recovery or repair mode options or safe mode, windows was unable to complete the resetting before power goes off, this could only corrupt the drive, so it can not continue to load into windows anymore. it has nothing to do with bios. some laptops taking several minutes before displaying or not displaying at all or stuck on manufacturer logo is a hardware issue, maybe a bad ram or hard disk drive
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 4:39pm On Sep 05, 2021
Adewale1603:
from the explanations the guy gave, he was not updating the bios and power goes off, that could only corrupt the bios. but he was trying to restore or reset the windows 10 maybe through the recovery or repair mode options or safe mode, windows was unable to complete the resetting before power goes off, this could only corrupt the drive, so it can not continue to load into windows anymore. it has nothing to do with bios. some laptops taking several minutes before displaying or not displaying at all or stuck on manufacturer logo is a hardware issue, maybe a bad ram or hard disk drive
What are we arguing about now?

The last part of your post is not totally right, BTW are you a chip level technician?

I base on chip level repair and not card level, I gave two options either bios corrupt or windows is corrupt.

You start with the easiest first when fixing an issue, if he reinstall the operating system and it works fine if it doesn't the he try the next option.

Have you ever heard of Intel ME Region and it's possible symptoms?

We don't need to be arguing over nothing, you said it's basically operating system fault fine you're correct and I said it is either bios is corrupt or operating system is corrupt so what's the argument all about?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:21am On Sep 08, 2021
Zbook 14 with part number 6050A2559101

Mobo keeps going on and off when power is plugged in. (2 seconds)

Fault in DC/DC section, replace Q7050,P3V3S was getting 1.42V instead of 3.3V

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Nerdnextdoor: 6:36am On Sep 11, 2021
Hi guys. I connected, my Lenovo IdeaPad 310-15isk core i5, to a wrong power charger and now it won't come up when plugged to the right charger and No charging led is showing. Please what can the problem be? My repair guy seems not to know much about this problem.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Help! What Could Be Wrong With My Computer? / Boluwatife Aiki-Raji Appointed By Twitter As Lead Software Engineer / How To Transfer Videos To Ipad2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.