Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator (32755 Views)

Can The Nextdoor Neighbor Harvest This Plantain? / Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation / Landlord Wanted To Sleep With My Daughter And Me – Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Daboomb: 11:49pm On Sep 19, 2021
arthurwillia:

Who be this one?
So after all these oyinbo? What should he do, switch of his generator right? Story

Na me Bros. grin
You are always asking Kwesions, cant you use your own brain to figure out the right thing, for once? angry

1 Like

Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by arthurwillia(m): 11:51pm On Sep 19, 2021
Daboomb:

Na me Bros. grin
You are always asking Kwesions, cant you use your own brain to figure out the right thing, for once? angry

Lol ode say na can’t you use your own brain? Keypad warrior. You wey Dey use your own brain I greet you. Na im you Dey where you dey
Efulefu
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by shreck(m): 11:55pm On Sep 19, 2021
erubati:
Hello nairalanders, Please as I am typing this short piece, am seriously boiling with rage as am unable to sleep. There is a building beside my house where one of the occupants is always putting on his gen at any slightest opportunity of NEPA outage.

The most annoying aspect is that he uses the generator deep into the night and the noise usually affects my sleep. Presently, there is light in the area but I guess they did not recharge their prepaid meter so he switched on his generator since around 7pm and he is yet to switch it off as am typing.

Is a tenant given the right to switch in his gen overnight while denying others the right to good night rest. I am thinking of reporting him to the appropriate Lagos State authority but don't know which one can take it up seriously.

I had to login just for you.

Here you go.
https://www.lasepa.gov.ng/noise-pollution-control/

Nigeria is not lawless people are.

Be fore you do anything.
Please take a recording of the noise
Use video recording.

Ensure you add your voice too.
Stand 10 feet away to record.

Approach the Gen owner and explain your inconvenience.

If nothing changes.

Report.
He will be humbled
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by generalwo(m): 11:56pm On Sep 19, 2021
Daboomb:

Again, it shows how LOW I.Q you are!
How can you jump to be responding to someone you did not read what they wrote? grin grin

Honestly, l cant help people like you because you are so steeped in your foolishness.
Those people soaking your brain with 16 Generators are doing a damn good job. undecided undecided grin grin
Too many Riff-Raffs on this thread.

Make l go piss, make l go to bed, as you advised.
Only a Fool despises advise. kiss undecided
..... If u fool your self finish, go piss make u go sleep for the mat wen u dey sleep..... Odehhhhhhhh
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Sirseedorf(m): 11:58pm On Sep 19, 2021
grin

So you don carry my matter come here.
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by litaninja(m): 12:09am On Sep 20, 2021
Agreed. The fumes are also a problem, so the solutions need to be holistic.
LASEPA also addresses things like fumes but that's neither here nor there. So long as its an ICE, there will be fumes and pollutants from the exhaust. Others climes have standards set for emissions, do t hold your breath waiting for that in nigeria.

Daboomb:

Can you imagine! Not just Lagosians, but Nigerians in general, are adapting to all sorts of abnormality.
People are trying to adapt to what is dangerous for their own health and take it as "Normal".
Apart from the Noise, what about the obnoxious fumes coming out of the generators?
You see why diseases like Cancer are increasing exponentially, among Nigerians
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by yemmywesey(m): 12:20am On Sep 20, 2021
Go and report to your CDA, landlord association, police station, ministry of environment, sanitation director and get a lawyer to file a case on that your neighbor and head to court of law.
It's your life , you have a right to a peaceful , silent and decent sleep, but nigeria factors with useless mentality of some nigerians is so annoying.

1 Like

Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Movicq(m): 12:23am On Sep 20, 2021
Pour salt insyd d fuel tank
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by mkoabiola: 12:24am On Sep 20, 2021
Omicron007:
shocked

A post in August hitting FP on September 19.
My suggestion may be useless because the generator might have developed fault or the guy has recharged his meter.

All these mods sef.
Hahahhaha

Funny dude
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by SeriouslySense(m): 12:31am On Sep 20, 2021
This is a serious issue, i wish people will be more considerate about others around them, the sound and the pollution from Generators disrupts night rest., So when it's 11pm, start preparing to switch it off
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Dan18(m): 12:35am On Sep 20, 2021
shreck:

I had to login just for you.

Here you go.
https://www.lasepa.gov.ng/noise-pollution-control/

Nigeria is not lawless people are.

Be fore you do anything.
Please take a recording of the noise
Use video recording.

Ensure you add your voice too.
Stand 10 feet away to record.

Approach the Gen owner and explain your inconvenience.

If nothing changes.

Report.
He will be humbled

Lmao
So he'll enter another person's compound to complain and make a video??
I bet the people in that compound are not even complaining o.
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by yinkeys(m): 12:39am On Sep 20, 2021
erubati:
Hello nairalanders, Please as I am typing this short piece, am seriously boiling with rage as am unable to sleep. There is a building beside my house where one of the occupants is always putting on his gen at any slightest opportunity of NEPA outage.

The most annoying aspect is that he uses the generator deep into the night and the noise usually affects my sleep. Presently, there is light in the area but I guess they did not recharge their prepaid meter so he switched on his generator since around 7pm and he is yet to switch it off as am typing.

Is a tenant given the right to switch in his gen overnight while denying others the right to good night rest. I am thinking of reporting him to the appropriate Lagos State authority but don't know which one can take it up seriously.
Ear muffs
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by bumzzy(f): 12:39am On Sep 20, 2021
Make a report to LASEPA
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by AdemolaA2: 1:54am On Sep 20, 2021
erubati:

Truth be told , there isn’t anything you can do since he turns it on in his space . Unfortunately, no law dictates what type of sound should emanate from a running gen and when and when not to turn on a gen in Lagos . Some people like myself can’t stand Lagos heat so I always turn on my gen all through the night as well . Best bet is for you to change apartment or buy yours as well, shut your windows and turn on yours so you can equally enjoy fan and your electrical gadgets in your desired space .
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Pathfinder2090: 2:05am On Sep 20, 2021
Go and buy your own and let the guy be

1 Like

Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by showafrica(m): 2:21am On Sep 20, 2021
erubati:

Tell him to get inverter 150k
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Lifewasgood: 2:21am On Sep 20, 2021
Then he should look for money and park to another neighborhood with stable electricity because he has no right to tell his neighbour when and how long to put on his gen. If he can't bear the noise take it up with the government who failed to provide electricity.
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Lifewasgood: 2:25am On Sep 20, 2021
yemmywesey:
Go and report to your CDA, landlord association, police station, ministry of environment, sanitation director and get a lawyer to file a case on that your neighbor and head to court of law.
It's your life , you have a right to a peaceful , silent and decent sleep, but nigeria factors with useless mentality of some nigerians is so annoying.

Mteeeeeew

1 Like

Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by JennyOfOldstones(f): 2:34am On Sep 20, 2021
[quote author=erubati[/quote]

He's not even living in the same compound with you so convincing him to turn off his generator at night will be difficult especially if his nearest neighbours aren't complaining.

You have 3 options
1) Approach the man and ask him to reposition his generator
2) Buy Ear muffs
3) Buy your own generator and turn it on through the night, when it's the sound of your own that you keep hearing, you'll be forced to go to sleep
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by KIDfurniture(m): 2:57am On Sep 20, 2021
He must be a yahoo boy
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Tzar(m): 3:28am On Sep 20, 2021
1st discuss your concerns with him.
If nothing changes, report him to the landlord.
If you live in Lagos and do not get the right response, report the matter to the ministry of environment / LASEPA ( Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency). You will need your LASSRA number for them to take action on the noise pollution. You will need to have video evidence ready to. You will be required to fill this form
http:///EnvironmentalInformationForm

If you do not have a LASSRA number, go get one or else you are on your own. When I had a nuisance neighbour who burnt things in their compound, the minisry of environment took action for me and it stopped. LASEPA email is Info@lasepa.gov.ng.
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by SIRRITE: 3:50am On Sep 20, 2021
Freestainworld:
My brother allow the guy to enjoy his life, in a sane country where thinks works, this shouldn't be a problem as there would have been constant electricity, I know how annoying it can be, but just dey your own lane, and allow him.

BUT HOW CAN U BE TRYING TO ENJOY UR LIFE AND MAKING SOMEONE ELSE MISERABLE ??

1 Like

Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by ihedioramma: 4:16am On Sep 20, 2021
erubati:

I swear na wetin dey my mind be that.
It's the next compound,na how to do it na im I dey think of right now.na small Yamaha generator but the sound dey always wake me up from sleep
It happen to me, what i did is that i buy my own and they now start to off it by 10 or 11pm .
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by jikins(m): 4:23am On Sep 20, 2021
generalwo:
you wen get knowledge, beg your government to provide a constant power supply....... Ask the guy for his address and go and sell your inverter idea to him..... I live in an apartment where all 16 tenants in the yard have generators...... If you feel you can't cope, pack out... Don't expect other people to live in discomfort because they have a neighbor..... Do u know if the man have kids who are not cool with heat? Do u know if he has food items that needs regular power to keep fresh? Na only your own you sabi.... Oga as far as he can afford it, he should use his gen.... If e too pain anybody, beg government to provide a stable electricity or move to vgc or banana island where u have less generators and noise..... It's simple..... Nobody will inconvenience themselves and families because of anyone

While you are right you are still wrong because you are looking at it from one perspective, While the man with the gen has the right to on it all day if he wish. The op also has the right to a good night sleep, that isn't too much to ask is it? I feel both parties should talk to each other in a civilized manner, they are both probably smart adults they can come up with a solution that helps everyone. Maybe the guy with the gen can on it up to 10pm, and maybe the op can be asked to get ear plugs or something for cases 10pm isn't possible, maybe the location of the gen can be revisited to help everyone, also a little sound-reducing building can be made for the gen. Options are plenty both sides just needs to talk and be willing to help each other as best as possible even though not 100%.

Nor be everything you go dey do if the person nor like am make him comot. Understanding and willingness to explore different options to arrest the situation is a trait we all need to own to peacefully coexist. Because both paid rent, you can't give excuse for one's behaviour and not do the same for the other. In cases like this dialogue and compromise are very important.

3 Likes

Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by pegix(m): 4:28am On Sep 20, 2021
Omo..wahala nor dey finish

Well i wont blame the guy that switch on gen o

Omo...make i get gen make i nor use am again?
Na naija factor cause am
Just talk to him fess

Whether they can change the position of the gen to a beta place far away from ur windows...im sure a sensible person will
I'm aware our sensitivity differ.... u may be more sensitive to sounds someone else might seem normal
And i think there's a range of noise one can make sha 120decibels or so
Most generators wont generate this much so u may no win the case in such instance

Here in ajah lagos o..na back to back gen

Neighbour fire hin own...i fire our own....the sleep is even deeper then fans dey blow grin
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by OrdinaryNigeria(m): 4:38am On Sep 20, 2021
Freestainworld:
My brother allow the guy to enjoy his life, in a sane country where thinks works, this shouldn't be a problem as there would have been constant electricity, I know how annoying it can be, but just dey your own lane, and allow him.

Sir am completely saddened by ur remark which has gather so many likes but deprive reasoning.

His generator has entered de guys lane.

If we are doing to others, we must stop
We cant use gen and disturb others and say we are on our lane.

Let him get solar and stop disturbing people.

Nobody can disturb me with gen. I report u straight

1 Like

Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Maobichek: 4:46am On Sep 20, 2021
erubati:
This guy has switched it on as early as 7am again.
Haba,no be my fault say Dem no get money buy credit for their prepaid meter nitori olorun.

Money to buy fuel and money to recharge prepaid meter, which one is more expensive? If you know how much it cost to fuel yahama gen, you will advise him to stop wasting his money on fuel.

If there is a written agreement that no tenant will use his/her gen till day break, then you can confront him but if there is non, pls talk to him in a calm manner. I once lived in Port-Harcourt, ppl in one room will use their gen till the next morning, it wasn't easy for me but I got use to it with time. Anyone telling you to pour sand, salt, kerosene into his gen tank will not stand by you when trouble start, thank you.
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by ModeEbo(m): 5:12am On Sep 20, 2021
Go buy ur own gen
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by bluefilm: 5:41am On Sep 20, 2021
Freestainworld:

This is the lamest advice on this thread.

What a warped mentality!

It's a shame.
Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Bunny19: 5:55am On Sep 20, 2021
generalwo:
.....aunty it still doesn't make it right.... How will you feel if you stumble across a comment where he described you as an old prostitu*e? You are wrong to liken someone you once loved to an old goat...... It's disrespectful.....
Oga two goody shoes! You've been going around d thread preaching here and there. Abeg let people breathe,haba

1 Like

Re: My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator by Bunny19: 5:59am On Sep 20, 2021
Daboomb:

If everyone behaves like you, the country will be in Anarchy by now.
How are you different from the Govt you are blaming, when all you know and care about is "i before others"?

But that is just a minor problem, your bigger problem is that of ignorance!
Because you dont understand that an Inverter, even the Cheap, Home Made one, is far, far cheaper than running a Generator!
It does not need regular servicing and repair like a generator. cost less than 40% to run, compared to a generator, you dont have to go out in the night to switch it off or add fuel and it is NOISELESS.

Yes, l used it for a few years and l am telling you from experience.

And this mentality of "As far as l can afford it", is what is causing people like you to misbehave in public.
Just because you can afford a Caterpillar, doe snot mean you have the right to drive one to work on public road, damaging the road for other users.
"My People Perish for lack of Knowledge".
SMH angry angry
Help me tell him Abeg. He has been disturbing us with his crude suggestions and holier than thou attitude. Sheep in wolf clothings. Shiior

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About / How Do I Handle My Landlord?? / LASBCA Seals Distressed 4-storey Building At 17, Obadina Street, Lagos Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.