Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,531 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina (19188 Views)

What Femi Adesina Told Me When I Visited Villa – Kukah / See What Femi Adesina Wrote About COS, Gambari 12 Years Ago! / Femi Adesina: My Daughter Almost Cried When She Read About Me On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Ovamboland(m): 4:59pm On Aug 15, 2021
EnkayDezign:

Yes boss, and here we are trying to explain to our fellow arrogantly ignorant 'countrymen' the importance of investing in infrastructure even if through loans. They simply amaze me

Some people are unteachable so no need, all the effort here is not because of those ones, it's because of the silent majority reading their trash.
I just dropped off a brother at the train station at Raji Fashola station, train just took off for Ibadan, let them have more headache

1 Like

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Ovamboland(m): 5:22pm On Aug 15, 2021
aribisala0:
Strategic infrastructure projects that endure to this day were done without bankrupting the country

Kainji Dam
Egbin Thermal Plant( The largest plant by output
PH Enugu Expressway
Lagos Benin Express way
Lagos Ibadan Expressway
Abuja Construction
Onne Port
etc

No one borrowed a penny for any of these projects

So our point is we should not cripple other aspects of governance and elevate infrastructure to a religion

If you rescue a starving man you feed him gradually . You don't force him to swallow a goat in one day

Education
Health
Security are crucial

Even in infrastructure we must prioritize and our priority MUST be power

Comedian of the house, Kainji dam and Niger bridge was built in 1960's with loans, stop telling lies. Even the colonial railway of early 1900's was built from loans.

The $30bn debt that was accumulated as at 1999 during Shagari to military era can you show for what purpose they were taken.

Not one kobo as you say?

Please show the details of the loans without telling lies or another attempt to obfuscate.
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Ovamboland(m): 5:23pm On Aug 15, 2021
effort1:

At least you agree that this government is only focused on competing for failure.

You also agree that all its electoral promises are intentional deceptions.

Congratulations. You have just signed off the future of your children

Nonsense, you are still yearning for the return of those you call failure that we should not compare, next!
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by aribisala0(m): 5:25pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ovamboland:

Comedian of the house, Kainji dam and Niger bridge was built in 1960's with loans, stop telling lies. Even the colonial railway of early 1900's was built from loans.

The $30bn debt that was accumulated as at 1999 during Shagari to military era can you show for what purpose they were taken.

Not one kobo as you say?

Please show the details of the loans without telling lies or another attempt to obfuscate.

You make the claim provide the evidence? That Nigeria was borrowing in the 60s
Nigeria fought a civil war and did not borrow a penny to fight the war
https://www.nytimes.com/1970/01/30/archives/nigeria-absorbs-financial-cost-of-war.html
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Ovamboland(m): 5:26pm On Aug 15, 2021
aribisala0:
This is where knowledge and Human capital come into it

Nigeria is energy rich and so even if we have no ore whatsoever to industrialize we need to develop the capacity to manipulate metal.
China accounts for 75% of Iron ore imports in the world and nearly 60% of steel production

I agree with you on this one, a broken clock is right at least twice a day.

It's not until we have oil to be a refining giant. Low quality ore is not a deterrent from producing steel. That's why a beneficiation plant was added to Itakpe recently connected by rail to Ajaokuta steel plant.
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Agboriotejoye(m): 5:37pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ovamboland:

Kai the railway construction is making you really mad, you seriously hope it will fail. With citizens like you a nation needs no enemies, you're playing that role effectively already.

Let me see if I can drop a little education for you hoping you can still soak up knowledge and make meaning out of it.

Just don't end your life in so much ignorance and bitterness

You're behaving like all those pseudo-intellectuals who just go digging for info without checking if it matches the points being raised.

You went and brought freight cost in the US comparing truck and rail. Most freight rails in the US are privately owned. But that's not even the point.
Can you show a picture of goods movement by rail in Nigeria since this standard gauges came up?

All the rails being built are passenger rails only. So any comparison in terms of cost-benefit should compare passenger traffic and not freight.

The moratorium on those rails are already counting even with those passenger traffic only. So, if it is not generating enough revenue to meet the debt service requirements, then it may not be worth it in terms of cost-benefit.

What I pointed out to you is that it is simplistic to say that the only cost being incurred on building 25km rail in Niger is the $25m. You have not even considered who will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of that 25km stretch. Is the FG going to register in Niger as a business entity to operate the rail or will they hand it over to the Nigerien govt to operate and maintain? Every common logic points to how silly the idea of "dashing" Niger 25km of rail is. If you want to defend it, you have to try harder.

Mind you, I have never said the rails are not generally good. My point is they are not our most important needs now and more importantly, they are being overblown by govt propagandists like you.
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by aribisala0(m): 5:42pm On Aug 15, 2021
Our number one priority is power and this government is clearly clueless on what to do?
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by effort1: 7:07pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ovamboland:

Nonsense, you are still yearning for the return of those you call failure that we should not compare, next!

If we are to choose between Jonathan and Buhari, Jonathan is lite year ahead of that nepotic, bias person you call a president.

We had freedom before and after speech under Jonathan. Do we have the same under buhari? Ask yourself, you intentionally blind idiot
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by NGpatriot: 10:08am On Aug 16, 2021
Agboriotejoye:

Show with facts that it's the "cheapest, safest and fastest route to the FCT".
Show the utilisation also.
You just wrote a truckload of rubbish laced with ignorance.

Common sense dictates that when you disagree with other people's views, you come up with better and sane views to counter theirs instead of you lazily asking me to come up with whatever rubbish you are talking about to prove your pointless point with.

The reason why you can not come up with anything is because you don't have any clue and you definitely can not come up with anything intelligent to counter with.

Btw, rail is cheaper and safest, accidents are one thing you won't experience on a train, you won't get robbed or kidnaped. I don't have to explain this to you especially while rail is safer that road transportation.

Think like an adult for a change.
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by NGpatriot: 10:13am On Aug 16, 2021
When other countries do things to make their countries better, you low self-esteem and inferiority complex Nigerians praise them while abusing and insulting your own country for not doing the same thing, but when your country do the same thing, all of a sudden is a bad thing and not the right thing to do and you still insult and abuse your country because you have kolomental and low self-esteem issues.

Very sad and pathetic people
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by RiceProducers: 11:02am On Aug 16, 2021
You want to explain infrastructure to young PDP supporters?. Good luck with that. These guys need lobotomy first.

They would drive a brand new US jeep into slums happy that they are better than many.
They had 16 years of being shown that Nigerians don't deserve the lifestyle of Europe, US and the Middle East and their unemancipated minds have accepted it.

Tell them the loan to GDP ratio is healthy, they won't understand because vision is not there.

Tell them the age demographics of Nigeria supports the loans, they still dont understand.

The most indebted countries in the world are UK, US, Italy, France, China.
They are also destinations of first choice in the world. They attract the most FDIs and their tourism incomes are in the hundreds of billions but Nigerian youth with their black skins, inferiority complex and darkened visions want to live 21st century with jankara market trader mentality.

Infrastructure is a job creator, a business incubator, FDI magnet, revenue generator and for Nigeria with a large young population it is a no Brainerd that we should borrow to do it really fast.
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Agboriotejoye(m): 12:39pm On Aug 16, 2021
NGpatriot:

Common sense dictates that when you disagree with other people's views, you come up with better and sane views to counter theirs instead of you lazily asking me to come up with whatever rubbish you are talking about to prove your pointless point with.

The reason why you can not come up with anything is because you don't have any clue and you definitely can not come up with anything intelligent to counter with.

Btw, rail is cheaper and safest, accidents are one thing you won't experience on a train, you won't get robbed or kidnaped. I don't have to explain this to you especially while rail is safer that road transportation.

Think like an adult for a change.

Thank God there's no mention of IPOB. Seems you're growing up fast.
You said it's the cheapest, safest, fastest transport to FCT.
Well, the train stops at Itakpe, which is 254km from FCT. The most dangerous portion of the south to Abuja road along that route is the Okene-Lokoja road which it does not cover.

Rail is not the cheapest means of transport in Nigeria. Road still is. Road from Lagos to Ibadan for example is 1k5 while rail is 2K5. Same for Abuja-Kaduna road. So I can imagine what Warri-Itakpe which will definitely have lower utility than those two.
Anyone going to FCT from the south will rather take a direct bus than go to Warri, drop at Itakpe and then look to get a bus to FCT. It will be more expensive to go by road, then rail and then by road and definitely slower. It's commonsense don't you think?
Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Ovamboland(m): 9:20pm On Aug 16, 2021
Agboriotejoye:

You're behaving like all those pseudo-intellectuals who just go digging for info without checking if it matches the points being raised.

You went and brought freight cost in the US comparing truck and rail. Most freight rails in the US are privately owned. But that's not even the point.
Can you show a picture of goods movement by rail in Nigeria since this standard gauges came up?

All the rails being built are passenger rails only. So any comparison in terms of cost-benefit should compare passenger traffic and not freight.

The moratorium on those rails are already counting even with those passenger traffic only. So, if it is not generating enough revenue to meet the debt service requirements, then it may not be worth it in terms of cost-benefit.

What I pointed out to you is that it is simplistic to say that the only cost being incurred on building 25km rail in Niger is the $25m. You have not even considered who will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of that 25km stretch. Is the FG going to register in Niger as a business entity to operate the rail or will they hand it over to the Nigerien govt to operate and maintain? Every common logic points to how silly the idea of "dashing" Niger 25km of rail is. If you want to defend it, you have to try harder.

Mind you, I have never said the rails are not generally good. My point is they are not our most important needs now and more importantly, they are being overblown by govt propagandists like you.

Godu o! Godu o!! Godu o!!!

Nigeria see the people you are investing resources to send to school yet are not getting education. With this I kind of comments agree we should stop all infrastructure investment and put everything in quality education.

So if the manufacturer of a car in USA tells us a car can run faster than a donkey, it's only true in the USA, in Nigeria a donkey will always run faster than a car? Maybe if an airplane is said to be faster in USA, it might turn out that trucks will be faster when it gets to Nigeria?

Even with the technical reasons why railway is cheaper given, you with minimum or zero knowledge, tell us it's more expensive than running trucks on rubber tires?

After all your exposure you compare the ticket price of rickety buses, 4 per row in heat and smoky buses to the train with scheduled trips in comfortable spacious seats with AC, that will be free from traffic snarls and say they are comparable? Why not compare with what Uber or hired car with AC and spacious seats will cost you?

In any case has anyone stopped you from taking your rickety buses if that's what you prefer?

How did you convince yourself of the lie that the train is for passengers only?

Now the news is everywhere that the Lagos Ibadan rail is already extended to Apapa seaport, common sense should you tell you that the plan is to pick freight at the port not more passengers. But your deep urge to attack the govt won't make you see. The plan for a dry port in Ibadan is all over the news, but out of the need to win argument, you make appear like the dry port is for handling and storing passengers?

It's in the news that a wagon assembly plant has been established at Kajola Ogun state, pretty tell us if wagons are intended for passengers. Thoughtless comments are very easy when your soul becomes bitter. Silly statements quickly follow.

Right now, Lagos Ibadan rail is running passenger service of 2 round trips and plan is to make it 8 daily round trips. But you want to base your cost analysis on 2 trips and conclude it has failed? A service that was commissioned a month ago? Why not calm down. The track is available in between 8 passenger trips to take up to 40 cargo trains, and while cargo trips are yet to commence, you are too impatient to declare the whole project a failure and useless? I have given you the proposed freight charges for 40ft containers vs what trailers charge for same service, but without any figures you stick to your guns using returns on passengers which is actually an addendum. Even at that with cargo+passenger service the profit might not equal or surpass the loan repayment. But the payments will be completed in 20 years and we still have another 80 years to continue earning from the railway without any further loan obligation. The experience all over the world is that rail route is a catalyst to create new cities and grow existing small towns around into large cities, creating additional wealth and activities.

Rail extension to Niger has been explained to be primarily for the purpose of import/export cargo transport through our seaport, but you probably belong to the school of thought who believe it's just about transporting kunu and gworo between Buhari village and his brethren in Niger republic. Many of you need help.

1 Like

Re: If Not Infrastructure, Then What - Femi Adesina by Agboriotejoye(m): 10:59pm On Aug 16, 2021
Ovamboland:

Godu o! Godu o!! Godu o!!!

Nigeria see the people you are investing resources to send to school yet are not getting education. With this I kind of comments agree we should stop all infrastructure investment and put everything in quality education.

So if the manufacturer of a car in USA tells us a car can run faster than a donkey, it's only true in the USA, in Nigeria a donkey will always run faster than a car? Maybe if an airplane is said to be faster in USA, it might turn out that trucks will be faster when it gets to Nigeria?

Even with the technical reasons why railway is cheaper given, you with minimum or zero knowledge, tell us it's more expensive than running trucks on rubber tires?

After all your exposure you compare the ticket price of rickety buses, 4 per row in heat and smoky buses to the train with scheduled trips in comfortable spacious seats with AC, that will be free from traffic snarls and say they are comparable? Why not compare with what Uber or hired car with AC and spacious seats will cost you?

In any case has anyone stopped you from taking your rickety buses if that's what you prefer?

How did you convince yourself of the lie that the train is for passengers only?

Now the news is everywhere that the Lagos Ibadan rail is already extended to Apapa seaport, common sense should you tell you that the plan is to pick freight at the port not more passengers. But your deep urge to attack the govt won't make you see. The plan for a dry port in Ibadan is all over the news, but out of the need to win argument, you make appear like the dry port is for handling and storing passengers?

It's in the news that a wagon assembly plant has been established at Kajola Ogun state, pretty tell us if wagons are intended for passengers. Thoughtless comments are very easy when your soul becomes bitter. Silly statements quickly follow.

Right now, Lagos Ibadan rail is running passenger service of 2 round trips and plan is to make it 8 daily round trips. But you want to base your cost analysis on 2 trips and conclude it has failed? A service that was commissioned a month ago? Why not calm down. The track is available in between 8 passenger trips to take up to 40 cargo trains, and while cargo trips are yet to commence, you are too impatient to declare the whole project a failure and useless? I have given you the proposed freight charges for 40ft containers vs what trailers charge for same service, but without any figures you stick to your guns using returns on passengers which is actually an addendum. Even at that with cargo+passenger service the profit might not equal or surpass the loan repayment. But the payments will be completed in 20 years and we still have another 80 years to continue earning from the railway without any further loan obligation. The experience all over the world is that rail route is a catalyst to create new cities and grow existing small towns around into large cities, creating additional wealth and activities.

Rail extension to Niger has been explained to be primarily for the purpose of import/export cargo transport through our seaport, but you probably belong to the school of thought who believe it's just about transporting kunu and gworo between Buhari village and his brethren in Niger republic. Many of you need help.
What nonsense is this guy writing now? Is everything ok with you? How can you be comparing cost and speed? If that's the case, since the price of oil has risen in the US in the past three months, why has it not risen in Nigeria? I even thought you're a pseudo-intellectual. I didn't realize you're a halfwit propagandist.
Cost of road transport is cheaper than rail in Nigeria as at today. It is a cold hard verifiable fact on ground not on google. All you have to do is to go to the bus park and the train park to compare. When they start making 8 trips, you can wake me up. Since you're writing rubbish about ACs as if that is what is of utmost importance to an average Nigerian, why don't you show us the utilization of Lagos-Ibadan rail and let's see if it has outgrown road passenger traffic along that same route? Or do you mean Nigerians are stupid and they all hate buhari that's why they have not left the rickety buses for the trains? Use your sense abeg!!
Where did you get it that the passenger traffic is an addendum. The rails were planned for passenger traffic dummy. It's the goods movement that is the addendum. Or why is it already moving passengers while it is yet to move goods?

And where are the wagons and the goods being transported by rail? I don't know why you will start counting wagons and extensions to Apapa ports and Ibadan dry ports as real time traffic. I also did not know the US is responsible for fixing transport costs in Nigeria. The dry port is not even ready yet!! It's just same way you and your fellow goons are hyping Warri-Itakpe rail when the steel complex and iron ore it is meant to service are not yet ready. Did you drop your brain somewhere? You snapped pictures of the train station. Take a ride to Apapa port and snap the goods being moved by rail and tell your brother you dropped at the train station to snap the goods being offloaded into Ibadan dry port.

The unfortunate thing is dunderheads like you will have vanished into thin air when the Niger rail is completed and it does not carry any goods for export. Go and find out more about Niger/Benin republic trade alliance before you start writing empty wishes that have no bearing with the reality on ground. Even Buhari when he was asked never mentioned trade routes or imports/exports as the reason for building the rail but an internet nonentity like you seems to know more than he who signed the deal
Gerrrarahere with your nonsense man!! You need that education more!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Nwoba Chika Nwoba Collapses In Court (Pictures) / 2019: We Will Welcome Atiku 1,000% APGA / Patience Jonathan Back In Abuja From German Hospital (pix)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.