Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,517 members, 7,836,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria (20746 Views)

There Is Nothing Wrong In Eating Agbado And Cassava / FG: Nothing Wrong In Dialoguing With Bandits / Akeredolu: Nothing Wrong In Freezing EndSARS Protesters' Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Newton85: 7:57am On Aug 14, 2021
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Onepeople: 7:57am On Aug 14, 2021
seunmsg:

There is nothing in this BBC piece that we have not thoroughly highlighted here when the issue first came up. I’m glad that foreign media platforms are now saying exactly the same thing. I agree with most of the points raised by the writer even though I disagree with the accusation that government have locked up most people criticizing the administration.
i was thinking that this one have redeemed himself of bigotry after igbohos incarceration, but i am wrong, he can never change.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Gandollaar(f): 7:58am On Aug 14, 2021
Mynd44:

I didn't insult Senator Abaribe. It was auto correct and I corrected it immediately I noticed it, but pray tell, insulting Abaribe is a depiction of hatred for his tribe and not he himself?

Weird thinking but okay
This is NL. But it's okay.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Mynd44: 7:58am On Aug 14, 2021
Ournolly:

There is no way those tweets are not deleted and users warned, no way!
When the government said twitter's actions are against coporate existence of Nigeria what did you think they were referring to?

In November 2015, Niger Delta Avengers opened a twitter account where they wrote about their exploits and issued thier threats and warining.

Twitter didn't ban them until June 2016. I can give you evidence of it.

Facebook banned Kanu, has been ban in handles by peo­ple threatening violence for months which was why facebook was not suspended despite also removing the president's tweets

3 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Minjim: 7:59am On Aug 14, 2021
tamdun:
Truth be told, govt around the world must curb social medias power, they are becoming to strong,gaddafi,mubarak of Egypt and even Jonathan were all removed with the help of social media and if they allowed them to continue,then our future lies in silicon Valley

Democracy iS a two edged sword. You want to democracy but cant stand freedom of expression. Then you are not yet ripe for democracy.

Using Twitter is a choice though I agree that Twitter doesn't have adequate information about the terrorist activities of Ipob when they deleted The president's tweet. But instead of acting authoritarian, in the people 's interest what the FG ought to have done is requested a meeting with Tweeter executives and acquaint them with the terrorist activities of Ipob. Which iS whAt they're doing now
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Newton85: 8:03am On Aug 14, 2021
Beancounter94:

Per Buzzfeed...from early 2015.

I'm surprised you did not know. It was widely reported at the time. Tho it does not mean Obama sent him mind.
"Tho it does not mean Obama sent him mind." Which means that it was APC who contracted David Axelrod's firm to work for them based on the yeoman's job he did in the emergence of Obama as POTUS? Okay.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Angelfrost(m): 8:04am On Aug 14, 2021
This one is just trying to be politically correct... Going back and forth, yet saying nothing.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by thomasjoe(m): 8:04am On Aug 14, 2021
Mynd44:

When the government said twitter's actions are against coporate existence of Nigeria what did you think they were referring to?

In November 2015, Niger Delta Avengers opened a twitter account where they wrote about their exploits and issued thier threats and warining.

Twitter didn't ban them until June 2016. I can give you evidence of it.

Facebook banned Kanu, has been ban in handles by peo­ple threatening violence for months which was why facebook was not suspended despite also removing the president's tweets

Twitter usually banns Offenders that were reported (usually with reasonable traffic)
If you had reported the Avengers or MNk issue ... They would have taken steps
..but you did not
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by egunna(m): 8:04am On Aug 14, 2021
Sanchez01:

There are bastards/black sheep in very tribe, almost every family and every ethnic group. Tricia is Igbo herself but she referred to her own ethnic group as a minority. The level of sponsored contents I have seen in this APC government is second to none. I sincerely wouldn't be surprised if word gets out tomorrow that she got compensated or paid for this opinion article.
I don't know y ppl get angry when called what dey are.i am dark,if u call me black boy,I see no reason to b angry.i come from a minority tribe from one of the states,I can't hide dat fact.all I do is make sure am not a minor human being.kiss the truth,of the three major ethnic groups in Nigeria,Igbo is minor.population,landmass,politically and other metrics.u have ur strength where u major,every one knows,so y are u pissed to b called a minority tribe?
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by gidgiddy: 8:06am On Aug 14, 2021
Is it right that a private American firm has the power to edit, without permission, the official communication of a democratically elected president of an African country? It doesn't get any more neo-colonial than that.

So being President allows Buhari to go on twitter, violate their rules, make provocative statements and get away with it?

The foolishness of some people is incredible

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by FORWARDEVERLY: 8:10am On Aug 14, 2021
Both Twitter and FG are stupid..
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Mynd44: 8:10am On Aug 14, 2021
thomasjoe:

Twitter usually banns Offenders that were reported (usually with reasonable traffic)
If you had reported the Avengers or MNk issue ... They would have taken steps
..but you did not

They were reported. Twitter replied saying Kanu's tweets were not offensive.

After their suspension, they deleted the tweets.

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by GEEBITE: 8:14am On Aug 14, 2021
You are too knowledgable to be promoting this kind of rhetoric.
naptu2:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58175708.amp
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by colestephan86: 8:16am On Aug 14, 2021
naptu2:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58175708.amp
Can someone help me get this lady's contact. I want to marry her
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Poloyanabo2(m): 8:17am On Aug 14, 2021
mcbreeze:
BBC is evil, nothing but evil.
Would they allow Boris Johnson to threaten them like that. Scotland got referendum but nobody threatening them or killed them.
Understand the point and stop wailing, even if Boris Johnson threatens them it's not Twitter's power to delete the tweet of the president of a sovereign nation.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by CSTRR: 8:21am On Aug 14, 2021

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by ityP(m): 8:23am On Aug 14, 2021
CSTRR:

I even forgot.

They suspended the account of a sitting US president and heaven didn't fall.

Nigeria has a Long way to go.

The citizens that should hasten the process are even supporting their oppressors.

Like, it's tiring
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by CSTRR: 8:24am On Aug 14, 2021
Poloyanabo2:

Understand the point and stop wailing, even if Boris Johnson threatens them it's not Twitter's power to delete the tweet of the president of a sovereign nation.
Yes, it is within their power, you illiterate.

It's their platform. Buhari did not pay to use it.

If your president doesn't like it, he should use NTA.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Poloyanabo2(m): 8:26am On Aug 14, 2021
CSTRR:
Yes, it is within their power, you illiterate.
It's their platform. Buhari did not pay to use it.
If your president doesn't like it, he should use NTA.
And he banned it, so why are you wailing? He has the power to ban any website in his country you wailer

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by BafanaBafana: 8:26am On Aug 14, 2021
The thing about some people here in Nigeria, I mean some people is that for whatever you say to make sense to them, you must condemn Buhari, Fulani, the north. If you like insult there whole generation so long as you are a Buhari or northern hater, you are right.
So na matter how sensible you sound, no matter what you do, condemn these people else you are talking rubbish. That's how shallow they are.
Let me give an example.
"This cloth Buhari is wearing is fine" (rubbish, they will insult the hell out of you)

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by CSTRR: 8:28am On Aug 14, 2021
ityP:

Like, it's tiring
The mistake Twitter made was thinking that Nigeria had the same level of democratic ideals with the western world.

Now they know we are decades behind.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by CSTRR: 8:29am On Aug 14, 2021
Poloyanabo2:

And he banned it, so why are you wailing?
He has the power to ban any website in his country you wailer

Why not tag Buhari a dictator and call it a day.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 14, 2021
She is looking to fill her stomach...Adaobi you know grin
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by ityP(m): 8:30am On Aug 14, 2021
CSTRR:

The mistake Twitter made was thinking that Nigeria had the same level of democratic ideals with the western world.

Now they know we are decades behind.

Lol. You think they don't know. It's not a coincidence they chose Ghana, instead of Nigeria as their headquarters. They know wassup
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by ityP(m): 8:31am On Aug 14, 2021
Poloyanabo2:

And he banned it, so why are you wailing?
He has the power to ban any website in his country you wailer

Oga, who told you he banned Twitter? His nation is democratic, he can't fit try it
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Poloyanabo2(m): 8:31am On Aug 14, 2021
egunna:
I don't know y ppl get angry when called what dey are.i am dark,if u call me black boy,I see no reason to b angry.i come from a minority tribe from one of the states,I can't hide dat fact.all I do is make sure am not a minor human being.kiss the truth,of the three major ethnic groups in Nigeria,Igbo is minor.population,landmass,politically and other metrics.u have ur strength where u major,every one knows,so y are u pissed to b called a minority tribe?
There are three major ethnic groups in Nigeria,
Igbo is one of them,
Igbo is not a minority.

Btw I'm Ijaw from Rivers state.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Poloyanabo2(m): 8:34am On Aug 14, 2021
CSTRR:

Why not tag Buhari a dictator and call it a day.
I'm talking about Buhari,
And yes Buhari is the worst president in Nigeria's history, even worse than a natural disaster,
I only respect the office of the President of Nigeria and that's why I'm against Twitter banning the tweet of the president of Nigeria,

Oh you thought I was BMC?
Nah, can never be.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by officialfoodie: 8:34am On Aug 14, 2021
Sanchez01:
This is disappointing to read and quite hard to believe it was featured on BBC. Twitter didn't ban the genocidal threat tweet of Buhari. It was Nigerian Tweeps that reported it enmasse for violation. Trump was banned on the same platform for using it to instigate violence after his loss. And note, the official POTUS handle was never banned, it was that of Trump that was banned, just as that of the Nigerian government wasn't banned. Buhari wasn't even banned, the particular tweet was only deleted when he should have been banned.

But some misfits in their usual 'noli me tangere' attitude saw it as a slap on Nigeria that Twitter removed a President’s tweet.

A foreigner visiting Nigeria is subject to the laws of Nigeria, not his country of origin. Twitter has policies that every user submits to consciously or unconsciously. Buhari threatened a people directly and others reported it on a platform where policies work.

Shameful that the government-sponsored with the intention that Nigerians would embrace it after Twitter's predicted ban. But of course, it is not Twitter that is desperate. It is the APC and the Nigerian government. Twitter played an active role in their win against Jonathan and Buhari. Elections are getting closer and campaigns will start soon. They need Twitter to run their lies and $1 to N1 again.

Failed country.

God bless you
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Poloyanabo2(m): 8:34am On Aug 14, 2021
ityP:

Oga, who told you he banned Twitter? His nation is democratic, he can't fit try it
I'm talking about Buhari.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by CSTRR: 8:35am On Aug 14, 2021
egunna:
Look at this illiterate.
Even what you know, you are now doubting.

I am sure if BBC said your mother is a man, you would believe.

Which part of the country will you not see igbos in huge populations numbering millions?

Is that minority?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right On Obama's Cabinet / Wike: National Assembly Is A Mere Rubber Stamp / Obasanjo: "Oil Belongs To Nigeria ..." Ozekhome Disagrees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.