Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,541 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria (20717 Views)

There Is Nothing Wrong In Eating Agbado And Cassava / FG: Nothing Wrong In Dialoguing With Bandits / Akeredolu: Nothing Wrong In Freezing EndSARS Protesters' Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Mynd44: 7:23am On Aug 14, 2021
ityP:
Stupid take. Twitter is no party to any government, it's a personal blogging company. There are terms and conditions to using the app. If you post a tweet that calls for self harm or the harming of a person or group of persons, regardless of who the Bleep you are, if it's reported, it would be deleted. If you continue on such path, your account may even be suspended or banned. Twitter is not bothered if you use other social media platforms to spew hate. It just would tolerate it. Same thing applies to nairaland. It is a personal forum. If Buhari comes here and sends a vile, hateful and reckless message, direct to Nigerians or a select group of Nigerians, if it's reported, he will be sanctioned. He can decide never to use nairaland or in this case, Twitter. And that's his fucking business
True. But the same way twitter is a private company, the nigerian government also has the job of government Nigeria and that job includes threat assessment meaning they can declare twitter (which is a private company) a threat and remove it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by kingthreat(m): 7:23am On Aug 14, 2021
Hard to actually realize this article was posted by an Igbo lady. Kudos to standing up for the truth. A company of less than 1000 people has no right to undermine the government of more than 180 million people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by frowland(m): 7:23am On Aug 14, 2021
RichDad1:

Referendum was included in the UK Constitution but not in the Nigerian constitution.
If you want referendum, let a Senator or MHR from the affected area sponsor the Bill.
Presently, there’s a constitution amendment process ongoing, I don’t think anyone from the SE is pushing in anything about referendum. So the hypocrites are truly the political leaders of Igbo extraction.

Actually UK have no written constitution but I get your point.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 7:23am On Aug 14, 2021
I have heard you. You won't listen and I am not here to argue with you. Take your time and read through her piece before giving your uninformed opinion.

ityP:

Lol. Una no wan get sense. Twitter is a social media platform, with terms and conditions. If a sovereign state doesn't want to have its tweets deleted, it should not use the platform. The platform no know who be president and who be government. Heck, the president of the current world power had his account suspended because he didn't stick to the terms and conditions of Twitter and heavens didn't fall. If after Buhari ends the ban on Twitter and then still tweets such reckless stuff, we will report it and his tweets would once again be deleted. You people should borrow sense please

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by foreshore(m): 7:24am On Aug 14, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Newton85: 7:24am On Aug 14, 2021
Tomilola360:

Nigerians also removed Donald Trump cheesy cheesy cheesy
Well, if Obama could remove Jonathan from office, maybe this one is possible too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by CSTRR: 7:24am On Aug 14, 2021
Sterope:
Unfortunately, Nigeria is not where Britain is. Britain did worse in Ireland. Read some history!

Referendum is another matter entirely. The Nigerian constitution does not provide for a referendum.

Then the Nigerian constitution should provide for referendum.

Countries are made for people, not people for country.

Stop talking like the wife of a dictator.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Mynd44: 7:24am On Aug 14, 2021
Ournolly:

This is a tweet from a nobody, he is not in Nigeria and has never been in political position.

That said, how is this worse than president openly threatening genocide of a majority ethic group in Nigeria?
Last week, he said anyone who violates their sit at home will be "death with", 8 peo­ple were killed including those burnt to death inside a bus they were travelling in.

Sure, he is far away but his words have influence on hugs criminally-minded minions who perpetuate them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Parkees(f): 7:25am On Aug 14, 2021
Is the Igbò nation an ethnic minority in the contraption called nigeria?
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Geeman2006: 7:25am On Aug 14, 2021
Mynd44:
People think the Nigerian government is mad. But then again, twitter has showed that it does not intend to change. Tweets like this is why twitter was banned not because they deleted a tweet.

I dare anyone of you to say this about the US government and see what will happen

Lol... CIA and FBI will be the person's portion for a long while.

3 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by barcaboi(m): 7:25am On Aug 14, 2021
mcbreeze:
BBC is evil, nothing but evil.
Would they allow Boris Johnson to threaten them like that. Scotland got referendum but nobody threatening them or killed them.
Oh so ipob killing people is supposed to be allowed? Gulak was killed like a fowl and you expect it to be handled in kid’s glove. Y’all sentiments smells from miles off

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:25am On Aug 14, 2021
naptu2:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58175708.amp

Twitter was strict with their policies. You cannot really blame them. It's just like here on nairaland, if you don't follow their rules you get banned.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by CSTRR: 7:25am On Aug 14, 2021
Parkees:
Is the Igbò nation an ethnic minority in the contraption called nigeria?
It shows their poor knowledge of the country.

They should not be taken seriously.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Sanchez01: 7:26am On Aug 14, 2021
Newton85:
I've always heard this spurious claim that Obama removed Jonathan. How exactly? Was it Obama that told Northerners to vote massively for Buhari? How exactly did Obama do this?
No. Obama's administration never liked Jonathan for many reasons. Which was the US blocked several arms deals and Nigeria under Jonathan adopted some black market deals using Oritsejafor's private to move heavy sums to buy weapons.

Buhari's campaign strategists were the same people who worked as strategists under Obama. Unfounded claims suggest Obama provided them but there was denying Tinubu paid them. The pressure pushed Jonathan to hire democrat strategists but it was easier to lose at the point as the US government were clearly partisan. There are so many 2015 political journals online that detail the whole thing.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by ityP(m): 7:28am On Aug 14, 2021
Racoon:
The dumbasses in this present government does not even understand that the world is a global information hub village with many source of information of which twitter is just one of them.FB, Snapchat, Goggle, Instagram have been in Operation unhindered.So the joke is on the govt.

Perhaps they think twitter is a poor organisation to be begging for right to operate in Nigeria even if the users are Nigerians and not the clueless government.
Why can't the govt use the stupid Adamu Crownee app? Guess it was the same twitter app they used for their lies and propaganda of 2014? Whatever goes around does not only comes around but also stays around.

Very stupid people. Same Twitter that their supporters called Jonathan a pig. Many heaped insults on the poor man. Lies and propaganda was spread by this same persons in this administration but their turn has reached and they are angry. I blame Jonathan. The dude was a pussy. If he had remembered that he is the president and given us hot hot, this mistake of a government would never had assume office. The next southern President must follow the manual of this administration; give it to us hot hot. I doubt Osinbajo can do that. Dude seems soft like Jonathan. We don't want a weakling. I would have solidly campaigned for Tinubu but that idiot is Malo man and cannot be trusted
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Godbless3(m): 7:28am On Aug 14, 2021
mcbreeze:
Would they allow Boris Johnson to threaten them like that. Scotland got referendum but nobody threatening them or killed them.

Shut up... Stop blaming others for your problem.
Did BBC tell twitter or buhari to ban each other?
Did they tell IPOB to start destroying properties?
That igbo novelist, is she from UK?
When Kanu incite violence, did bbc tell him to do so?
Face your problem and stop blaming a media house.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by CSTRR: 7:28am On Aug 14, 2021
Sterope:
Twitter had no right. Its actions were authoritarian over a sovereign state.

Twitter has terms and conditions.
The tweet of your president violates their terms and conditions.

They did not ask your president not to treat his own citizens in the language they understand or threaten them with isolation and war.

They just ask that it should not be done on their platform.

How is that authoritarian?

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 7:28am On Aug 14, 2021
You have your people in the houses. What have they done about it? What has ESN done to defend people's votes and vote in leaders that will change that.

Wouldn't you love to live in a failed state?

CSTRR:

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Ournolly: 7:28am On Aug 14, 2021
Mynd44:

Last week, he said anyone who violates their sit at home will be "death with", 8 peo­ple were killed including those burnt to death inside a bus they were travelling in.

Sure, he is far away but his words have influence on hugs criminally-minded minions who perpetuate them
I violated their rubbish stay at home and asked them to do their worst. Ogidi youths has warned them to stay away from their town with such rubbish.

Why not report that?
I have seen many of such tweets deleted and in some occasions, the accounts suspended.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Mynd44: 7:29am On Aug 14, 2021
CSTRR:

And you think Buhari is the one to review the constitution? Have you sat down to think of the fact that only one body can actually kickstart the process of a referendum and that is NASS. Guess what? The NASS members of Igbo descent have never taken such steps, never spoken about it there either.

Abaribe and Ekweremadu are senior NASS members, Abaribe who doubles and Kanu's senator and surety is minority leader has done nothing.

When in 2018 I said IPOB should become a political party and sponsor people to NASS, I was mocked. Keep attacking the executive which is powerless to help and eat with NASS who has all the powers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by ityP(m): 7:30am On Aug 14, 2021
Sterope:
I have heard you. You won't listen and I am not here to argue with you. Take your time and read through her piece before giving your uninformed opinion.

Typical of zombies. Have a great life, bye
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Godbless3(m): 7:30am On Aug 14, 2021
Mynd44:

True. But the same way twitter is a private company, the nigerian government also has the job of government Nigeria and that job includes threat assessment meaning they can declare twitter (which is a private company) a threat and remove it.

Let him rant as he like then let him tell us why country like china and north korea etc ban most of these social media

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by hrykanu231(m): 7:30am On Aug 14, 2021
naptu2:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58175708.amp

I stopped reading somewhere up there. How can you be contradicting yourself in one small piece? You stated earlier that he violated the TC of the company and as such his tweet was deleted. In another breathe you are claiming it is an "official communication", so f''king what?
He defaulted and as such, his tweet, not his account was deleted.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 7:30am On Aug 14, 2021
Yeah while they allowed Nnamdi's. Sounds very fair and just doesn't it?

The president's tweet was insensitive at best, he shouldn't have mentioned the civil war whatsoever. However, he wasn't referring to he citizens. He was referring to the touts disrupting the peace of the nation.

CSTRR:

Twitter has terms and conditions.
The tweet if your president violates their terms and conditions.

They did not ask your president not to treat his own citizens in the language they understand or threaten them with isolation and war.

They just ask that it should not be done on their platform.

How is that authoritarian?

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 7:31am On Aug 14, 2021
How simple-minded! grin
ityP:

Typical of zombies. Have a great life, bye

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by AnanseK(m): 7:31am On Aug 14, 2021
mcbreeze:

The Scots were not destroying police stations and killing policemen and soldiers and violently freeing prisoners from Jails.
They did not describe the rest of Britain as Zoo and the people as wild animals. Don’t compare yourselves with civilized people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Sanchez01: 7:32am On Aug 14, 2021
Mynd44:
People think the Nigerian government is mad. But then again, twitter has showed that it does not intend to change. Tweets like this is why twitter was banned not because they deleted a tweet.

I dare anyone of you to say this about the US government and see what will happen
Simon Ekpa has no sense—we know. Is he in Nigeria? How does Twitter ban prevent Simon Ekpa from tweeting something foolish? Why not use the same Buhari tweet as an example or that of El Rufai's open Fulani revenge? Why not any Northerner's or Southerner's living in Nigeria whose tweet threatens the corporate existence of the Nigerian people, whatever that means.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by ityP(m): 7:33am On Aug 14, 2021
Mynd44:

I don't have problem with the latter. They did that and as a sovereign state, they are in their rights. Same thing I said. If a sovereign state feels the terms and conditions of Twitter is harsh, they can boycott Twitter. Saying Twitter had no right to delete the president's tweet is being very foolish. They had every right and like I said, they would do it again
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 14, 2021
CSTRR:

So forgiving terrorists and treating bandits with kid gloves is not against security?

Allowing free press is now against national security?

Is your father a minister or a high ranking politician.?

They are the only people benefiting enough from the madness to make this kind of argument.
Stop talking about forgiving terrorists in every thread, be objective, I have nothing to gain if Nigeria goes up in flames, maybe you do, but I don't. Follow the topic please.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Mynd44: 7:33am On Aug 14, 2021
Ournolly:

I violated their rubbish stay at home and asked them to do their worst. Ogidi youths has warned them to stay away from their town with such rubbish.

Why not report that?
I have seen many of such tweets deleted and in some occasions, the accounts suspended.
Who told you such tweets have not been reported? Twitter has refused to take actions on them.

Before the suspension, a lot of Kanu's tweets were reported. Twitter replied saying the tweets wearing against their rules. Note that twitter itself replied people
After the suspension, twitter removed the tweets. During endsars, numerous handles encourahed burning properties and looting, twitter ignored, looked away and you think ay sane government will ignore?

3 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Gandollaar(f): 7:33am On Aug 14, 2021
AroleOduduwa2:
Is this not the same bbc that was attacked in the UK for misleading the public
But even this opinion is not BBCs but that of a random contributor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

GRV Praises David Hundenyin, Colonel Ojukwu, And Others / Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail / Buhari Meets With African Diplomatic Corps Members (Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.