Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria (20742 Views)

There Is Nothing Wrong In Eating Agbado And Cassava / FG: Nothing Wrong In Dialoguing With Bandits / Akeredolu: Nothing Wrong In Freezing EndSARS Protesters' Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by SIRTee15: 12:29pm On Aug 14, 2021
Newton85:
What changed in 2015 was Buhari's collaboration with the South West, led by Tinubu. I thought everyone knew this?

So why are u parroting northern votes all over the thread when u knew this.
Besides southwest vote was inconsequential in 2015. It was 60-40 for APC:PDP. Don't delude yourself.

How it happened...
Buhari was rebranded by Tinubu machinery in 2015 as a reformer, nationalist and repented democrat.
Jonathan was painted a devil while buhari was branded a saint on social media. This lie was fed to gullible Nigerians who swallowed it.
The international community led by USA warned Jonathan not to try anything stupid with the election or he will receive the Gbagbo treatment.
Jonathan was handicapped, he couldn't wield the federal might in manipulating the election.

That's the story of how we ended up with buhari.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by onegig(m): 12:52pm On Aug 14, 2021
This adaobi is dull

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by authority2006(m): 1:23pm On Aug 14, 2021
Sanchez01:

There are bastards/black sheep in very tribe, almost every family and every ethnic group. Tricia is Igbo herself but she referred to her own ethnic group as a minority. The level of sponsored contents I have seen in this APC government is second to none. I sincerely wouldn't be surprised if word gets out tomorrow that she got compensated or paid for this opinion article.

That's because you have somehow convinced yourself that your opinion about the whole issue is the right or correct opinion. Any contrary opinion is either paid for or formed by a bastard. You need to get your head examined!

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by authority2006(m): 1:24pm On Aug 14, 2021
Fahdiga:
Twitter really humbled this regime

You meant to say that this administration really humbled twitter? Lol

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Newton85: 1:33pm On Aug 14, 2021
SIRTee15:

So why are u parroting northern votes all over the thread when u knew this.
Besides southwest vote was inconsequential in 2015. It was 60-40 for APC:PDP. Don't delude yourself.

How it happened...
Buhari was rebranded by Tinubu machinery in 2015 as a reformer, nationalist and repented democrat.
Jonathan was painted a devil while buhari was branded a saint on social media. This lie was fed to gullible Nigerians who swallowed it.
The international community led by USA warned Jonathan not to try anything stupid with the election or he will receive the Gbagbo treatment.
Jonathan was handicapped, he couldn't wield the federal might in manipulating the election.

That's the story of how we ended up with buhari.
So, if I'm to believe what you wrote up there, how did Obama sack Jonathan from Aso Rock then?
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by SWDude: 1:40pm On Aug 14, 2021
Sanchez01:
This is disappointing to read and quite hard to believe it was featured on BBC. Twitter didn't ban the genocidal threat tweet of Buhari. It was Nigerian Tweeps that reported it enmasse for violation. Trump was banned on the same platform for using it to instigate violence after his loss. And note, the official POTUS handle was never banned, it was that of Trump that was banned, just as that of the Nigerian government wasn't banned. Buhari wasn't even banned, the particular tweet was only deleted when he should have been banned.

But some misfits in their usual 'noli me tangere' attitude saw it as a slap on Nigeria that Twitter removed a President’s tweet.

A foreigner visiting Nigeria is subject to the laws of Nigeria, not his country of origin. Twitter has policies that every user submits to consciously or unconsciously. Buhari threatened a people directly and others reported it on a platform where policies work.

Shameful that the government-sponsored with the intention that Nigerians would embrace it after Twitter's predicted ban. But of course, it is not Twitter that is desperate. It is the APC and the Nigerian government. Twitter played an active role in their win against Jonathan and Buhari. Elections are getting closer and campaigns will start soon. They need Twitter to run their lies and $1 to N1 again.

Failed country.

Articulate and spot on. More grease to your intelligence.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by jamjo: 1:47pm On Aug 14, 2021
naptu2:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58175708.amp

Adaobi, I don't have a problem with your opinion, but you should research well before putting false information you said IPOB lost the legal challenge about the proscription, Adaobi, the case is still in court as the federal government has refused to answer the court. Please don't mislead your readers.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:16pm On Aug 14, 2021
mcbreeze:
BBC is evil, nothing but evil.
Would they allow Boris Johnson to threaten them like that. Scotland got referendum but nobody threatening them or killed them.
Scotland referendum was eventuated by request of scottish elected representatives in the UK govt. You people have elected representatives in the govt and non has been bold enough to asked for referendum, yet you want Buhari to grant you referendum

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 14, 2021
Sanchez01:

Jonathan was removed through the help of America, specifically Obama. The APC and Buhari won on the back of social media because the relic was presented as a refurbished democrat.

Social media platforms are not strong or powerful as people assume. Crowwe is a social media platform, isn't it? How powerful is it? Why is not seen as a threat to Nigeria? That is because humans give it power! Crowwe, today, is worthless that I doubt it has 500 daily visitors. And this is a government-sponsored social medium o.

And just because a despot as Buhari got its Tweet removed does not mean Jack has power. Nigerians do. They reported it enmasse and it was removed. Trump used social media to rile up his followers until they got violent and attacked the capitol. It wasn't until he got banned that questions started flying around.

Politicians should be accountable and sensible in the way they talk and address their people. Using a platform to cause chaos and turn people against themselves is a greater threat than natural disasters.

The same social media that BMCs, the APC and Lai are crying over today was instrumental to their win. The government only wants less of Fulani Herdsmen reportage and almost everyone can get the story out through social media without having to write a media house. If Nigerians were treated fairly and equally, and Buhari was true to his campaign promises, most Nigerians won't be bitter and feel excluded as they are now.

Election is coming. The APC will need Twitter again.
Nigerians on Twitter who has voters card don't account to 5% of Nigerian votes.
Nigerians who have access to smart phone and eligible to vote are not upto 15% of the total number of voters!
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by dragunov: 3:04pm On Aug 14, 2021
seunmsg:

I totally disagree. Mention five people that have been locked up for criticizing the government.

Are you reading any news at all? This niggah be tripping!

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by egunna(m): 5:07pm On Aug 14, 2021
CSTRR:

Look at this illiterate.
Even what you know, you are now doubting.

I am sure if BBC said your mother is a man, you would believe.

Which part of the country will you not see igbos in huge populations numbering millions?

Is that minority?
u that is educated, so u didn't see where I said the three major tribes abi?and compared to Yoruba and HAUSA,u don't know that Igbo is minor abi?I wasn't even reacting to the post,I reacted to what u said.dat u are found numbering millions all over the country does not mean dere are no ppl more than u.stop living in self denial.if u had d population,u think say we go hear word?
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by onegig(m): 5:35pm On Aug 14, 2021
I am saying it again. This Adaobi is dumb.

Reading just the first sentence from her article. I knew straight up she was up to no good.

I remember her clearly now just checking her history.

She was the journalist that wrote this ignominy of an article that her grand parents owned slave and she was proud of what they stood for.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/my-great-grandfather-the-nigerian-slave-trader

Can't expect any better from someone who spouts such rubbish.

Mtswwwheeewww....
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Yusman316(m): 6:36pm On Aug 14, 2021
This is the tweet some are claiming is a call for genocide. Continue been clever by half

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by officialfoodie: 7:10pm On Aug 14, 2021
AMINDA:

Very weird. The same way threatening IPOB is equivalent to threatening the Igbos and criticizing an Obi Cubana is hatred for the Igbos. The group-think and victimhood mentality is depressing, to be honest.

Typical case of the pot and kettle. No other region does group-think and plays victim card like the north. Your mentality is one of the reasons a regional govt or complete disintegration is the only answer to the Nigeria question
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by toxjox: 8:05pm On Aug 14, 2021
[quote author= post=104771102][/quote]

Was it Twitter that said they did not recognise Buhari or the machines that automatically deleted his tweet
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by toxjox: 8:11pm On Aug 14, 2021
Sterope:
Twitter had no right. Its actions were authoritarian over a sovereign state.

You shamelessly agreed to terms and condition now you are talking about sovereignty....which yeye sovereignty....Those that don't want to be sanctioned should create their own app
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 14, 2021
Sanchez01:
This is disappointing to read and quite hard to believe it was featured on BBC. Twitter didn't ban the genocidal threat tweet of Buhari. It was Nigerian Tweeps that reported it enmasse for violation. Trump was banned on the same platform for using it to instigate violence after his loss. And note, the official POTUS handle was never banned, it was that of Trump that was banned, just as that of the Nigerian government wasn't banned. Buhari wasn't even banned, the particular tweet was only deleted when he should have been banned.

But some misfits in their usual 'noli me tangere' attitude saw it as a slap on Nigeria that Twitter removed a President’s tweet.

A foreigner visiting Nigeria is subject to the laws of Nigeria, not his country of origin. Twitter has policies that every user submits to consciously or unconsciously. Buhari threatened a people directly and others reported it on a platform where policies work.

Shameful that the government-sponsored with the intention that Nigerians would embrace it after Twitter's predicted ban. But of course, it is not Twitter that is desperate. It is the APC and the Nigerian government. Twitter played an active role in their win against Jonathan and Buhari. Elections are getting closer and campaigns will start soon. They need Twitter to run their lies and $1 to N1 again.

Failed country.

Twitter play little to no role in Buhari's emergence as president. Election victory is not decided by social media activities.

According to data, majority of voters are farmers and fisherman in 2019

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by OGHENAOGIE(m): 7:28am On Aug 15, 2021
frowland:

And to cure your own comprehensive deficiency, I specifically said UK HAVE NO WRITTEN CONSTITUTION.
The law that said they can have referendum was just based on judgments (which you refered as 'documents'); the law which can as well be changed tomorrow by their legal system.
na u Sabi before u begin ur animalistic Ipobism here getat self

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by frowland(m): 10:41am On Aug 15, 2021
OGHENAOGIE:
na u Sabi before u begin ur animalistic Ipobism here getat self

Thats the problem with many of you people here. Everyone who object to one sides submission is either an IPoB, Zombie or Heardsmen or Afonja. You guys have to grow up and have healthy conversations.
Sometimes, I wonder how more warped it can be..!

Secondly, before you jump into people’s submissions, first try to know the reason for the response. Its called qualitative analysis and we and other organizations use this to know who to recruit or who not to and it very well reflects in aptitude tests conducted.

Simple, UK have no written constitution so their laws can easily be amended, Nigeria does have a written constitution - meaning we need to pass through a lot to amend it.
So because of these the masses don’t really have a hand in determining what can be changed or what cannot be changed in the constitution
Whereas in UK, an individual or organization or union can aproach the court and successfully change a law. (Rigid & Flexible)

Finally, you guys can throw as many tantrums as you want; likes and shares don’t pay my bills, same as insults, applause or gests or name calling. Thank you.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Layksaide(m): 12:53pm On Aug 15, 2021
naptu2:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58175708.amp

You're a disappointment to true Nigerians. The account of Fmr President of U.S., when he was still president was taken down and Twitter was never banned. Your statement shows your unalloyed support for the killing of innocent Nigerians been tagged as IPOB
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:18pm On Aug 15, 2021
frowland:

Thats the problem with many of you people here. Everyone who object to one sides submission is either an IPoB, Zombie or Heardsmen or Afonja. You guys have to grow up and have healthy conversations.
Sometimes, I wonder how more warped it can be..!

Secondly, before you jump into people’s submissions, first try to know the reason for the response. Its called qualitative analysis and we and other organizations use this to know who to recruit or who not to and it very well reflects in aptitude tests conducted.

Simple, UK have no written constitution so their laws can easily be amended, Nigeria does have a written constitution - meaning we need to pass through a lot to amend it.
So because of these the masses don’t really have a hand in determining what can be changed or what cannot be changed in the constitution
Whereas in UK, an individual or organization or union can aproach the court and successfully change a law. (Rigid & Flexible)

Finally, you guys can throw as many tantrums as you want; likes and shares don’t pay my bills, same as insults, applause or gests or name calling. Thank you.
Glad u could explain what u mearnt... Let me apologize for d toxic words I use initially... Na as this place be na im make... No vex... I like cerebral people... What u stated is d real deal... But many Nigerians don't understand it...
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by hammer567: 9:51am On Aug 18, 2021
Mynd44:

When the government said twitter's actions are against coporate existence of Nigeria what did you think they were referring to?

In November 2015, Niger Delta Avengers opened a twitter account where they wrote about their exploits and issued thier threats and warining.

Twitter didn't ban them until June 2016. I can give you evidence of it.

Facebook banned Kanu, has been ban in handles by peo­ple threatening violence for months which was why facebook was not suspended despite also removing the president's tweets

mynd44, Baba! how far now?

should i go and login to hammerdk?

see i am showing you alternate moniker now and requesting my main moniker, all you do is hide the post.

koda oOO... E no good oOO...

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fatai Buhari Visits Tinubu In London / PDP Crisis: How Ayu, Obaseki, Tambuwal Worked Against Wike’s VP Candidacy / TRIBUNAL: Wike’s Election Peaceful, Credible —INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.