Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,290 members, 7,836,276 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria (20737 Views)

There Is Nothing Wrong In Eating Agbado And Cassava / FG: Nothing Wrong In Dialoguing With Bandits / Akeredolu: Nothing Wrong In Freezing EndSARS Protesters' Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by AK481(m): 8:42am On Aug 14, 2021
This post stinks and its demeaning to igbos .

This picture called igbos minority ethnic group.

2."Mr Buhari's tweet threatened violence against the Indigenous People of Biafra (Ipob) movement, which is seeking a breakaway state in south-eastern Nigeria, home to the Igbo people."

This is a lie .buhari threatened igbos ,when he included ,people that has business all over nigeria,maybe he confuse ipob for igbos because of his dullness .
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Enice(m): 8:43am On Aug 14, 2021
mcbreeze:
BBC is evil, nothing but evil.
Would they allow Boris Johnson to threaten them like that. Scotland got referendum but nobody threatening them or killed them.
and nobody beheaded people on the streets, burn houses of those they call SABO, forcing people to close shops, burning cars and buses, looting and stealing people's wares. Government just had to do something to stop this terrorist group.

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Brushstrokes20: 8:45am On Aug 14, 2021
Lorry load of trash undecided
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by officialfoodie: 8:47am On Aug 14, 2021
Mynd44:
People think the Nigerian government is mad. But then again, twitter has showed that it does not intend to change. Tweets like this is why twitter was banned not because they deleted a tweet.

I dare anyone of you to say this about the US government and see what will happen

Really? APC propaganda machine, esp Elrufai tweeted worse during GEJ's time. Abeg, better know what you're justifying here.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by officialfoodie: 8:49am On Aug 14, 2021
This post is at best ignorant and trashy.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by AMINDA: 8:56am On Aug 14, 2021
Ournolly:

This is a tweet from a nobody, he is not in Nigeria and has never been in political position. It is likely the tweet was not reported and the mod cannot see every tweets. Why not report it to get it deleted? That's how Buhari's rubbish was deleted.

That said, how is this worse than president openly threatening genocide of a majority ethic group in Nigeria?

So the rightness or wrongness of a tweet is determined by the number of people that reports it and not by its true face value? That means Twitter is just a space for bullying as we all know social media presence is skewed in favor of a particular demographic in Nigeria.

If they all galvanize to always report enmass, any tweet of the President especially as we know they have no love for him, is it justified for Twitter to continue to delete his tweet? If Twitter has the power to delete a tweet because they can, Nigeria also has the right to ban Twitter if it deems it to have interfered in its affairs. Some social media platforms like ko* are not available in the US, is that a violation of free speech? It is neocolonialism to suggest that banning Twitter is a violation of free speech when Twitter is just another app!
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 14, 2021
abouzaid:
First, this is not a BBC editorial but sn article by an independent individual second, on scanning through it, i saw where she called Igbos, minorities. I didn't bother to read.

IF YOU DID NOT READ IT HOW COME YOU KNOW HE CALLED IGBOS A MINORITY.ARE THEY NOT A DOT IN A CIRCLE AS CONFIRMED BY SOME OF YOUR LEADERS INCLUDING ABARIBE?
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by haslaw(m): 8:58am On Aug 14, 2021
Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani is just another IPOB terrorist because no where in President Buhari threatened genocide on any people.

I have never been a fan of Buhari but that doesn't mean I should lie or encourage lies to be told on him
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 14, 2021
CSTRR:

Why shouldn't I talk about that?

Is that not reality?

This thread is talking about twitter and FG, you are out of context.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by VTJN(m): 9:05am On Aug 14, 2021
ityP:

Very stupid people. Same Twitter that their supporters called Jonathan a pig. Many heaped insults on the poor man. Lies and propaganda was spread by this same persons in this administration but their turn has reached and they are angry. I blame Jonathan. The dude was a pussy. If he had remembered that he is the president and given us hot hot, this mistake of a government would never had assume office. The next southern President must follow the manual of this administration; give it to us hot hot. I doubt Osinbajo can do that. Dude seems soft like Jonathan. We don't want a weakling. I would have solidly campaigned for Tinubu but that idiot is Malo man and cannot be trusted
Lol smiley
Tinubu has the trait of giving Nigerians hot hot. But he's not to be trusted
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Educhelssy: 9:06am On Aug 14, 2021
[quote author= post=104771102][/quote]

Sorry to say this bruh, but your whole n long write up here made not own single sense or communicated any meaningful meaning
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by ityP(m): 9:07am On Aug 14, 2021
VTJN:
Lol smiley
Tinubu has the trait of giving Nigerians hot hot. But he's not to be trusted

Truly. I really want either PDP or APC to bring up a Christian southerner that is hardhearted. Person like Wike grin grin or the Christian equivalent of El-Rufai

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Almaigaa: 9:08am On Aug 14, 2021
mcbreeze:
Would they allow Boris Johnson to threaten them like that. Scotland got referendum but nobody threatening them or killed them.

IGBO MAN, so anybody or group who speak against IPOB is evil abi? But you forgot that the written of this piece is an IGBO Lady. grin

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by musicwriter(m): 9:11am On Aug 14, 2021
Twitter ban has nothing to do with neo-colonialism. Former US president, Donald Trump's tweeter account was even deleted.

Twitter have terms and conditions for using their platform. Don't use it if you can't follow the rules. It's as simple as that.

Twitter never hurt Nigerians. It's the Nigerian government that's hurting Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by CSTRR: 9:14am On Aug 14, 2021
uptownmusic:

This thread is talking about twitter and FG, you are out of context.
So we should leave the bigger and talk about the lesser.?

Nice.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by tamdun: 9:20am On Aug 14, 2021
Sanchez01:

Jonathan was removed through the help of America, specifically Obama. The APC and Buhari won on the back of social media because the relic was presented as a refurbished democrat.

Social media platforms are not strong or powerful as people assume. Crowwe is a social media platform, isn't it? How powerful is it? Why is not seen as a threat to Nigeria? That is because humans give it power! Crowwe, today, is worthless that I doubt it has 500 daily visitors. And this is a government-sponsored social medium o.

And just because a despot as Buhari got its Tweet removed does not mean Jack has power. Nigerians do. They reported it enmasse and it was removed. Trump used social media to rile up his followers until they got violent and attacked the capitol. It wasn't until he got banned that questions started flying around.

Politicians should be accountable and sensible in the way they talk and address their people. Using a platform to cause chaos and turn people against themselves is a greater threat than natural disasters.

The same social media that BMCs, the APC and Lai are crying over today was instrumental to their win. The government only wants less of Fulani Herdsmen reportage and almost everyone can get the story out through social media without having to write a media house. If Nigerians were treated fairly and equally, and Buhari was true to his campaign promises, most Nigerians won't be bitter and feel excluded as they are now.

Election is coming. The APC will need Twitter again.
I said with the help of social media, how do you think "America" pass their messages?

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by AMINDA: 9:22am On Aug 14, 2021
Mynd44:

I didn't insult Senator Abaribe. It was auto correct and I corrected it immediately I noticed it, but pray tell, insulting Abaribe is a depiction of hatred for his tribe and not he himself?

Weird thinking but okay

Very weird. The same way threatening IPOB is equivalent to threatening the Igbos and criticizing an Obi Cubana is hatred for the Igbos. The group-think and victimhood mentality is depressing, to be honest.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:24am On Aug 14, 2021
RevolverOcelot:
Just get a VPN

how does it work?... teach me
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by emilo2bad: 9:25am On Aug 14, 2021
Fahdiga:
Twitter really humbled this regime
How? Abi FG put twitter were it belong

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by naptu2: 9:35am On Aug 14, 2021
Reactions.

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by VTJN(m): 9:35am On Aug 14, 2021
ityP:

Truly. I really want either PDP or APC to bring up a Christian southerner that is hardhearted. Person like Wike grin grin or the Christian equivalent of El-Rufai
I swear o bro. That El-rufai christian version will be so nice. Wike isn't bad either. But I'll prefer El-rufai Christian version to him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Blackdisciple(m): 9:36am On Aug 14, 2021
But na wetin tweeter do...?
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by naptu2: 9:36am On Aug 14, 2021
More reactions

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by naptu2: 9:37am On Aug 14, 2021
And even more reactions.

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Sterope(f): 9:38am On Aug 14, 2021
She didn't say. She reported that
hrykanu231:

I stopped reading somewhere up there. How can you be contradicting yourself in one small piece? You stated earlier that he violated the TC of the company and as such his tweet was deleted. In another breathe you are claiming it is an "official communication", so f''king what?
He defaulted and as such, his tweet, not his account was deleted.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Guardiola84: 9:42am On Aug 14, 2021
mcbreeze:
Did Scotland got their referendum by insulting d British govt ,threatening n killing security agents ?did Scotland got referendum by engaging in terrorism? Foolish brainwashed Igbo youths

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Guardiola84: 9:49am On Aug 14, 2021
musicwriter:
Twitter ban has nothing to do with neo-colonialism. Former US president, Donald Trump's tweeter account was even deleted.

Twitter has terms and conditions for using their platform. Don't use it if you can't follow the rules. It's as simple as that.

Twitter never hurt Nigerians. It's the Nigerian government that's hurting Nigerians.

Oh really? But your tweeter never censors democrats hate speeches n threats why ?u are just too dumb idiot

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by Ournolly: 9:52am On Aug 14, 2021
AMINDA:

So the rightness or wrongness of a tweet is determined by the number of people that reports it and not by its true face value? That means Twitter is just a space for bullying as we all know social media presence is skewed in favor of a particular demographic in Nigeria.

If they all galvanize to always report enmass, any tweet of the President especially as we know they have no love for him, is it justified for Twitter to continue to delete his tweet? If Twitter has the power to delete a tweet because they can, Nigeria also has the right to ban Twitter if it deems it to have interfered in its affairs. Some social media platforms like ko* are not available in the US, is that a violation of free speech? It is neocolonialism to suggest that banning Twitter is a violation of free speech when Twitter is just another app!
Bro, Buhari's hate speech deserves instant trashing in any social media platform. It's a thing of shame a whole president will be filled with hate.

I also agreed some of those stupid, hateful ipob tweets should be deleted.
My point is that it may appear no one is reporting them so twitter mods might not have seen such tweets.
Thanks.
Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by KingOfAmebo(m): 9:55am On Aug 14, 2021
Sanchez01:
This is disappointing to read and quite hard to believe it was featured on BBC. Twitter didn't ban the genocidal threat tweet of Buhari. It was Nigerian Tweeps that reported it enmasse for violation. Trump was banned on the same platform for using it to instigate violence after his loss. And note, the official POTUS handle was never banned, it was that of Trump that was banned, just as that of the Nigerian government wasn't banned. Buhari wasn't even banned, the particular tweet was only deleted when he should have been banned.

But some misfits in their usual 'noli me tangere' attitude saw it as a slap on Nigeria that Twitter removed a President’s tweet.

A foreigner visiting Nigeria is subject to the laws of Nigeria, not his country of origin. Twitter has policies that every user submits to consciously or unconsciously. Buhari threatened a people directly and others reported it on a platform where policies work.

Shameful that the government-sponsored with the intention that Nigerians would embrace it after Twitter's predicted ban. But of course, it is not Twitter that is desperate. It is the APC and the Nigerian government. Twitter played an active role in their win against Jonathan and Buhari. Elections are getting closer and campaigns will start soon. They need Twitter to run their lies and $1 to N1 again.

Failed country.

Yes it is disappointing to read because it doesn't fit into your view point, She has the right to express her opinion just as much as you have yours.

Stop being hypocritical, Open your eyes to see that this same country you hate so much is still loved by many and your hate will not change their love. Live with your hate and let others live with their love. This same country you cannot survive in or succeed in is the same country people are surviving and becoming successful.

Rather than spend all day complaining and ranting up and down why not be more productive with your time and see if you too will not succeed, if you don't succeed then you have a spiritual problem.

You call Nigeria a failed country because you are surrounded with failure, change your circle of friends and your mentality else you remain a failure for life.

Always remember that your opinion doesn't count, if you like rant till enternity.

1 Like

Re: Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria by bejeria101(m): 9:58am On Aug 14, 2021
Sanchez01:
This is disappointing to read and quite hard to believe it was featured on BBC. Twitter didn't ban the genocidal threat tweet of Buhari. It was Nigerian Tweeps that reported it enmasse for violation. Trump was banned on the same platform for using it to instigate violence after his loss. And note, the official POTUS handle was never banned, it was that of Trump that was banned, just as that of the Nigerian government wasn't banned. Buhari wasn't even banned, the particular tweet was only deleted when he should have been banned.

But some misfits in their usual 'noli me tangere' attitude saw it as a slap on Nigeria that Twitter removed a President’s tweet.

A foreigner visiting Nigeria is subject to the laws of Nigeria, not his country of origin. Twitter has policies that every user submits to consciously or unconsciously. Buhari threatened a people directly and others reported it on a platform where policies work.

Shameful that the government-sponsored with the intention that Nigerians would embrace it after Twitter's predicted ban. But of course, it is not Twitter that is desperate. It is the APC and the Nigerian government. Twitter played an active role in their win against Jonathan and Buhari. Elections are getting closer and campaigns will start soon. They need Twitter to run their lies and $1 to N1 again.

Failed country.

God bless you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

More Pictures And Video From Peter Obi Presidential Rally In Enugu / Abba Kyari, Aisha Buhari, Others Bleed Nigeria High Commission In London - SR / Rabiu Kwankwaso Visits Governor Wike Over Death Of Emmanuel Aguma (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.