Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) (3519 Views)

Marrying A Feminist / "You Can't Be A Feminist And A Christian" - Reno Omokri / 15 Signs That You Are Under The Attack Of A Spirit Husband And Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by advanceDNA: 8:14pm On Aug 14, 2021
toughchic:

I thought as much. Your assertion came from a place of ignorance.

By the way, it isn't how I see it. It is what it is.

Ignorance?? Lol
U want to trigger me...I won’t bite..

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Kobojunkie: 9:08pm On Aug 14, 2021
advanceDNA:

The feminism we have now isn’t a fight for equal right in all areas...It’s favouring women at the expense of men, And women are bringing the ideology into their homes causing problems in already difficult to manage marriages...

That is what the pastors are against..women are our sisters, wives, daughters, cousins. .nobody is after suppressing women...u women are the ones crying foul all the time..
Favoring women at that expense of men.. care to elaborate on what you mean by that claim you made? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Kobojunkie: 9:11pm On Aug 14, 2021
traihit:
To me, you're free to get as far as you want to get whether you're a man or a woman. The world is at your feet and you should not be denied of the benefits of being human.

However, when we allow privilege for women to override men's freedom, were creating another unequal society. Moreover, if feminism is tearing marriages apart, why don't we restrict feminism to the office space and leave it out of the home instead of creating a toxic world.

Which is better, a world where men would gladly give up their rights to honour women or a world where men would be coerced into making women higher than themselves and thereby building up anger and bitterness within?

As for marriage, I go by the school of 'whatever rocks your boat'. Shey marriage is the agreement of a man and a woman? Let them choose what's best for them. If I don't like feminism, I go far from feminists and if I like it, I go for them.

Don't feel intimidated whether feminism is supported or not. Do your own thing.
Currently, in Nigeria, the law and society discriminates - has always- against woman. What women are seeking is not more than what men have but exactly the same rights already available to men so they too can thrive without needing to seek approval first. undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Kobojunkie: 9:13pm On Aug 14, 2021
Wawelexy:
No matter how hard a woman tries, she can never be a man..........
How many woman want to be men? How many apples desire to be oranges? undecided

Educate yourself! Woman and men are different but their individual existence is of equal importance hence the reason why they ought to have equal rights availed them undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Kobojunkie: 9:16pm On Aug 14, 2021
ThiagoKid:
I can remember vividly when a gal I was chatting with inadvertently revealed her stance on female superiority over men, and how she wish women will overtake men in all facets of life...

I sent her back to the street, where she actually belongs to, with immediately alacrity!
How do you think women feel when men go on and on about how superior they are and how women are beneath them? undecided

It is stupidity but she learnt to think that way watching men do the same without consequence. lipsrsealed

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Klass99(f): 9:43pm On Aug 14, 2021
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Fountainofyouth(f): 9:59pm On Aug 14, 2021
Klass99:

This part just off me, lol grin

That must have been a bad day and experience for the man.

To have one woman school or insult them, is bad enough! To now have more than one woman do it, in one setting, must have been an ego destruction!

You terrorist feminists emasculated that man o! Not nice, not nice at all...gringrin

The gang up was surprising to me honestly, I thought I will be the only one to stand up to him, but all for them lovely beauties participated in the mad ass slaughter grin, the look of shock and shame on his face was so fulfilling I literally walked home like a boss cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by bjtinz: 10:14pm On Aug 14, 2021
Rubbiish:
Feminism campaign that begins & only ends on nairaland lol

Lol. Words on marble. But who are we to deprive them thier few minutes (hours) of mindless prattling?

Pray, allow our airheaded counterparts revel the temporary high that comes with indulging ones illusions on cyberspace, while watch on the sidelines with mirth.

No need exchanging words with them. At end of the day, we know who's boss. End of. cool

@ladies. We still love you all , sha. . grin kiss kiss kiss

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by gram: 10:48pm On Aug 14, 2021
Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by RightToReject(m): 10:49pm On Aug 14, 2021
Feminism is not a bad movement since its ideology is centered on equality and fairness for all. Truth, however, is that women who practice it/possess its attributes on a forum like this hardly or do not even identify with it, but through their words and actions, any discerning person can identify them. The wannabe ones, however, as evident on this thread in particular and forum in general, are always loud and quick to identify themselves as ones, LOL.

The major difference between the wannabe feminists and the true feminists:

- The wannabe feminists can only be caught being against injustice wherever they are not the ones/only the ones meting out the injustice against others, especially to men and their fellow women who do not subscribe to their hypocritically crass and opportunistic attitudes. They are not different from their male counterparts who delight in oppressing women, even scrupulous women, unjustly

- The true feminists, on the other hand, hate injustice and never looking forward to meting it out to anyone, not to men and not to their fellow women. Unlike the wannabe ones, they do not delight whenever their fellow woman tells a story about oppressing a man, whether true or false, especially unjustly.

More on the wannabe feminists; they embody sanctimony, hypocrisy, greed, and crassness, and despite their haughtiness online, which they use to gloss their feeble-mindedness and low self-esteem, they are the easiest class of women to subjugate.

I doff my hat to all conscientious women whether or not they identify with feminism.

11 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by gram: 10:50pm On Aug 14, 2021
AmazonTopaz:
I will try to be brief,I have created this thread as a discussion on feminism but I will buttress my points before making any mention.

What is feminism?

Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights in every aspect of society be it social, political, economic,legal and every other aspect that has skipped my mind grin it is about equal rights and opportunities,respecting women and treating them with dignity and whatever you will love to add. wink.

A feminist simply believes in the equality of people same way people argue about racial equality,democracy etc these are all liberal(arguably) ideals that have come into the mainstream as a result of enlightenment.You can also read on egalitarianism as well.

The point is, during the week three controversial or non-controversial threads graced the front-page,where a Christian leader,his wife and another female pastor admonished women to abandon feminism and one even said feminist shouldn't get married grin.

The constant attack on feminism made me wonder what exactly are these people scared of with feminism why is feminism a topic that gets on the nerve of some Nigerian men and honourable mention women grin.So why the sudden attack on feminism like as if feminism is bad and doesn't have its achievements and benefits a lot of the breakthrough and progress women have made today is as a result of feminism,so why do they belittle feminism and attach it to marriage alone?

The Christian leader’s message was directed toward his Christian congregation, based on Biblical principles. Feminism is not for everyone, just as Christianity is not for everyone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by advanceDNA: 11:15pm On Aug 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Favoring women at that expense of men.. care to elaborate on what you mean by that claim you made? undecided

I would have love to...but U are very difficult to dialogue with...apologies if that doesn’t sound like a compliment...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Magnoliaa(f): 11:22pm On Aug 14, 2021
toughchic:

4. It gets messier when marriage comes into the picture. Over the years, women get blamed for everything that goes wrong in their marriage. It's what being replicated in recent times.
Rather than admit that the bullshit women accepted in the past is the reason for marriage longevity, they go the easier route, blaming women. Because every form of insubordination in women is linked to feminism now, they blame feminist women.

This. This is gold.
Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Kobojunkie: 11:29pm On Aug 14, 2021
advanceDNA:

I would have love to...but U are very difficult to dialogue with...apologies if that doesn’t sound like a compliment...
That’s in fact a compliment... undecided
Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Kobojunkie: 11:31pm On Aug 14, 2021
gram:
The Christian leader’s message was directed toward his Christian congregation, [b]based on Biblical principle[/b]s. Feminism is not for everyone, just as Christianity is not for everyone.
Wrong! It was not based on biblical principles but lies told by Mogs meant to deceive and brainwash their followers with. undecided

Instead, according to scripture, in the beginning, God made them male and female, this for His purpose. And when man sinned, God cursed man and woman, condemning to be ruled over by man, this is her marriage. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Magnoliaa(f): 11:32pm On Aug 14, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

How is it favoring women at the expense of men?

In Nigeria? Or in the UK? If in the UK, why is that an issue to Nigerians in Nigeria? If in Nigeria, has the patriarchy been abolished, and aren't men still with glaring male privilege?

Feminism seems to be an issue to men who know the structure is crumbling and the positions they've held aren't because of merit but because of gender.

Those pastors who preach these things are defending their monopoly over a lot of things, and by keeping women in their defined state of submission, they remain the decision makers over the lives of others and beneficiaries.

That is why rather than preaching to men, they preach to women. Way too many men are interested in the preaching of submission, to the detriment of their own value in a marriage. I was surprised to see a man say that a man loves his wife by providing for her. No, he doesn't.

With women able to provide for themselves and their families, how can that former male privilege be a definition of love? One can easily see where men are confused about what they have to do, because they have never been preached to about it. They don't understand that providing money is a responsibility they owe their family according to the same Bible.

Feminism is something men would , if they cared to understand it, embrace. Unfortunately, they are treating it like televisions, the internet and Facebook.

We all know the public outcry and how they said the world would end in 2000AD, the same pastors. Yet here we all are making use of tech and the internet. All of them have online channels.

Their objections are invalid and they will eventually conform. You can't keep people as lesser humans, yet you want to be free from being ruled just because you were born with a penis.

The castle is bound to crumble.

You spit facts with fire, mehn. Abso-absolutely love your angles.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Magnoliaa(f): 11:32pm On Aug 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
That’s in fact a compliment... undecided
grin

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Magnoliaa(f): 11:41pm On Aug 14, 2021
bjtinz:

Lol. Words on marble. But who are we to deprive them thier few minutes (hours) of mindless prattling?

Pray, allow our airheaded counterparts revel the temporary high that comes with indulging ones illusions on cyberspace, while watch on the sidelines with mirth.

No need exchanging words with them. At end of the day, we know who's boss. End of. cool

@ladies. We still love you all , sha. . grin kiss kiss kiss

Lmaooooooo. You justtttt had to. Just had to comment. Watching from the sidelines but couldn't resist, huh?

That's a psychological complex right there. You try to allay your uneasiness by stating the opposite of what's really going on with you...

2 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by cooooooks(m): 11:49pm On Aug 14, 2021
What actually is feminism?

Anybody can call themselves a feminist. People can, and do, extrapolate their experiences with self acclaimed feminists to the entire identity.

The same is done to nationality, race, tribe, etc: "You're well spoken for a Nigerian", "All Indians are stingy", "White people are racist", "XXXX person smells", etc.

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by cooooooks(m): 11:51pm On Aug 14, 2021
You're defining humanism. Egalitarianism also fits, especially in the gender context.

toughchic:

What you highlighted here is where the problem lies. Many see feminism from this angle and feel it should end here.

But I have taken it upon myself to remind everyone that feminism is a pro-choice and self-liberation movement.

It covers every area of daily life. It's about autonomy too, individualism, self-liberation.

Every human, no matter their gender should make choices for themselves and not be forced into gender roles or stereotypes. And the marriage shouldn't change this.

With feminism, everyone is being liberated from certain things. For example, one who comes from a place where it is deemed abnormal to be covered from head to toe would feel liberated when one can wear whatever they like including clothing that covers all part of their body.
This phenomena is replicated is all other areas.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by cooooooks(m): 11:53pm On Aug 14, 2021
There are many self acclaimed feminists who state that they do hate men. Should their opinion/voice be silenced?

AmazonTopaz:

The picture below explains it

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by cooooooks(m): 11:56pm On Aug 14, 2021
Ah! Of course, there must be a search for a TRUE SCOTSMAN.

Lol.

"If I define all the people who share my identity but say things I don't agree with (or don't want publicized) out of the identity, they don't exist. Right?"

toughchic:

I do not see any feminism favoring women over men. Show me a feminist asking for what she doesn't deserve and I will show you a pseudo-feminist.

It would be best if you point out the ideologies feminists are bringing into their marriages that are causing problems.

And I do not see women crying foul, it's mostly men complaining.

I watched and read many of these religious leaders' commentaries on feminism in marriage and their stance is that feminism stops in marriage.

I stand corrected.

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Kobojunkie: 11:57pm On Aug 14, 2021
cooooooks:
There are many self acclaimed feminists who state that they do hate men. Should their opinion/voice be silenced?
So if some Feminists like A whereas other Feminists like B, does it become sufficient to then conclude that Feminism is about liking A over B? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by cooooooks(m): 11:58pm On Aug 14, 2021
Even 100 years ago, the decision-making duties were not limited to the father of the household. In Ijaw cultures, there was usually a wife (normally but not necessarily first) who ran the house and even the farm.

Rubbiish:
You can not be answering your husband & father's surname & say u are not under the leadership of that man! Since u now feel u are wiser than God's word & the society. Start answering your mother's surname & also make your kids to answer that same surname. Ewu grin

Lady hippopotamus hallo cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Kobojunkie: 12:00am On Aug 15, 2021
cooooooks:
Ah! Of course, there must be a search for a TRUE SCOTSMAN.

Lol.

"If I define all the people who share my identity but say things I don't agree with (or don't want publicized) out of the identity, they don't exist. Right?"
So long as those views cannot be directly tied to the identity, why publicize it as such? undecided
Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by cooooooks(m): 12:00am On Aug 15, 2021
Nope. Feminism, and many other isms, are too nebulous.

They have no meaning, as they can mean anything to anybody.

Kobojunkie:
So if some Feminists like A whereas other Feminists like B, does it become sufficient to then conclude that Feminism is about liking A over B? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Kobojunkie: 12:03am On Aug 15, 2021
cooooooks:
Nope. Feminism, and many other isms, are too nebulous.

They have no meaning, as they can mean anything to anybody.
Pay attention.. I didn't ask you of your opinion regarding feminism. I instead wanted us to ponder the logic or lack of, behind a previous claim you made. undecided

Again, So if some Feminists like A whereas other Feminists like B, does it become sufficient to then conclude that Feminism is about liking A over B? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by cooooooks(m): 12:14am On Aug 15, 2021
Read well ma'am, I don't ascribe anythign to feminism exactly because any self acclaimed feminist could (and do) ascribe everythign to feminism. Hence my use of the word "nebulous".

Kobojunkie:
Pay attention.. I didn't ask you of your opinion regarding feminism. I instead wanted us to ponder the logic or lack of, behind a previous claim you made. undecided

Again, So if some Feminists like A whereas other Feminists like B, does it become sufficient to then conclude that Feminism is about liking A over B? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Magnoliaa(f): 12:15am On Aug 15, 2021
cooooooks:
Even 100 years ago, the decision-making duties were not limited to the father of the household. In Ijaw cultures, there was usually a wife (normally but not necessarily first) who ran the house and even the farm.

Okayyyy. Is this now like a basis to discard the fight for equality? Even in that same culture, you're telling me I won't find instances of discrimination against women? 100 years ago inside how many years of history? From when to when did this joint decision-making set up start and stopped/lasted? How many of such of these set ups as opposed to the general set ups of women in the society?

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Kobojunkie: 12:17am On Aug 15, 2021
cooooooks:
Read well ma'am, I don't ascribe anythign to feminism exactly because any self acclaimed feminist could (and do) ascribe everythign to feminism. Hence my use of the word "nebulous".

The comment immediately below is yours, is it not?
cooooooks:
My question again is this... if some Feminists like A whereas other Feminists like B, does it become sufficient to then conclude that Feminism is about liking A over B? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by cooooooks(m): 12:20am On Aug 15, 2021
Answer my question then: do the opinions of 'self-acclaimed feminists' not matter? Even in the example you gave, I did not ascribe anything to feminism, I called the feminists who say they hate men "self-acclaimed" .

The attempted gotcha does not work in this instance.

Kobojunkie:
The comment immediately below is yours, is it not?
My question again is this... if some Feminists like A whereas other Feminists like B, does it become sufficient to then conclude that Feminism is about liking A over B? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Magnoliaa(f): 12:21am On Aug 15, 2021
cooooooks:

If feminism is nebulous, which feminism are you attacking? On what do you stand on to discredit some feminists or say others are self-acclaimed and are this or that?? No. No. Don't do this. For you to be against feminism or the erroneous practice of it by (some) feminists, you ought to know what it means. You oughta' be able to define it. So that you can classify what is wrong activism and what is misadry from what is what.

If you wanna do this, then all of us kukuma no know wetin we dey fight. If we feminists no know watin e mean, then you anti-feminists are clowns as well for attacking a formless thing. Na same place we put head. Because una just dey attack different thing as feminism. Or what you think feminism is. Or the feminism you think one woman is practicing.

If you're latching onto our definitions of feminism to attack it, then you as well don't know what it is... and it'll just be like a loop going on and on. And therefore feminism would not be a thing as what you'd be arguing against is the different things we call feminism? Not feminism itself.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Could This Be Real? / .... / I Need Advice..6 Month Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.