Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,943 members, 7,814,192 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) (3502 Views)

Marrying A Feminist / "You Can't Be A Feminist And A Christian" - Reno Omokri / 15 Signs That You Are Under The Attack Of A Spirit Husband And Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by AmazonTopaz(f): 3:37pm On Aug 14, 2021
I will try to be brief,I have created this thread as a discussion on feminism but I will buttress my points before making any mention.

What is feminism?

Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights in every aspect of society be it social, political, economic,legal and every other aspect that has skipped my mind grin it is about equal rights and opportunities,respecting women and treating them with dignity and whatever you will love to add. wink.

A feminist simply believes in the equality of people same way people argue about racial equality,democracy etc these are all liberal(arguably) ideals that have come into the mainstream as a result of enlightenment.You can also read on egalitarianism as well.

The point is, during the week three controversial or non-controversial threads graced the front-page,where a Christian leader,his wife and another female pastor admonished women to abandon feminism and one even said feminist shouldn't get married grin.

The constant attack on feminism made me wonder what exactly are these people scared of with feminism why is feminism a topic that gets on the nerve of some Nigerian men and honourable mention women grin.So why the sudden attack on feminism like as if feminism is bad and doesn't have its achievements and benefits a lot of the breakthrough and progress women have made today is as a result of feminism,so why do they belittle feminism and attach it to marriage alone?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by toughchic(f): 3:44pm On Aug 14, 2021
To answer your question, feminism is constantly on the attack for several reasons which I will outline below.

1. Many of the people who constantly attack feminism do not understand what the movement stands for. They all seem to have an idea but lack in-depth knowledge about it, hence, the constant attack.

2. Patriarchy. Anyone who's against patriarchy is labeled as an enemy of society.

3. I hate to say this, but many women and men in Nigeria do not have the faintest idea of how they have benefited from feminism.

4. It gets messier when marriage comes into the picture. Over the years, women get blamed for everything that goes wrong in their marriage. It's what being replicated in recent times.
Rather than admit that the bullshit women accepted in the past is the reason for marriage longevity, they go the easier route, blaming women. Because every form of insubordination in women is linked to feminism now, they blame feminist women.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by AmazonTopaz(f): 3:49pm On Aug 14, 2021
Why can't they think what exactly is bad about feminism well let me state what feminism means to me and why feminism has come to stay in Nigeria and other developing and third world countries.

The Nigerian woman is at a disadvantage,a lot of social issues the average Nigerian woman faces which thanks to Feminism,gender equality,women empowerment and whatever you wanna call it has brought to the fore-front burning issues such as domestic violence,female genital mutilation,sexual harassment and abuse such as rape,gender based violence etc.Why have these people not seen the social causes feminist has brought to the limelight and made advocacy and proferred solutions for,why have these Christian leaders failed to use the church to serve as medium to address the social plight women face in Nigeria angry angry

They have failed to see the political benefit of feminism which ensures the right to vote through women's suffrage,right to vote and be voted,for occupy public offices and hold public opinion.Even Saudi Arabia is realising this and even granted women the right to drive,vote,hold local offices etc.

What about the economic benefits of women,the right to an education,use their expertise to get jobs etc.None of these would have been made possible by feminism.When did women wanting their rights, responsibilities, opportunities, equality, respect, dignity and basically be seen as human beings become a controversial issue in 2021 angry grin

This is what I know feminism to be and stand for as a feminist grin

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by criuze(m): 3:50pm On Aug 14, 2021
The operational defination of feminism implies a radical mobilisation of women race against every status and privilege of the Men race in an attempt to find a suppose to be parity with men race

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by crackhaus: 3:53pm On Aug 14, 2021
Mtcheeeeeeeww...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by advanceDNA: 3:57pm On Aug 14, 2021
AmazonTopaz:
I will try to be brief,I have created this thread as a discussion on feminism but I will buttress my points before making any mention.

What is feminism?

Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights in every aspect of society be it social, political, economic,legal and every other aspect that has skipped my mind grin it is about equal rights and opportunities,respecting women and treating them with dignity and whatever you will love to add. wink.

A feminist simply believes in the equality of people same way people argue about racial equality,democracy etc these are all liberal(arguably) ideals that have come into the mainstream as a result of enlightenment.You can also read on egalitarianism as well.

The point is, during the week three controversial or non-controversial threads graced the front-page,where a Christian leader,his wife and another female pastor admonished women to abandon feminism and one even said feminist shouldn't get married grin.

The constant attack on feminism made me wonder what exactly are these people scared of with feminism why is feminism a topic that gets on the nerve of some Nigerian men and honourable mention women grin.So why the sudden attack on feminism like as if feminism is bad and doesn't have its achievements and benefits a lot of the breakthrough and progress women have made today is as a result of feminism,so why do they belittle feminism and attach it to marriage alone?

The feminism we have now isn’t a fight for equal right in all areas...It’s favouring women at the expense of men, And women are bringing the ideology into their homes causing problems in already difficult to manage marriages...

That is what the pastors are against..women are our sisters, wives, daughters, cousins. .nobody is after suppressing women...u women are the ones crying foul all the time..

6 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by traihit: 3:58pm On Aug 14, 2021
To me, you're free to get as far as you want to get whether you're a man or a woman. The world is at your feet and you should not be denied of the benefits of being human.

However, when we allow privilege for women to override men's freedom, were creating another unequal society. Moreover, if feminism is tearing marriages apart, why don't we restrict feminism to the office space and leave it out of the home instead of creating a toxic world.

Which is better, a world where men would gladly give up their rights to honour women or a world where men would be coerced into making women higher than themselves and thereby building up anger and bitterness within?

As for marriage, I go by the school of 'whatever rocks your boat'. Shey marriage is the agreement of a man and a woman? Let them choose what's best for them. If I don't like feminism, I go far from feminists and if I like it, I go for them.

Don't feel intimidated whether feminism is supported or not. Do your own thing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Wawelexy(m): 4:00pm On Aug 14, 2021
No matter how hard a woman tries, she can never be a man..........

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by AmazonTopaz(f): 4:05pm On Aug 14, 2021
As for marriage it is no secret that some religions are misogynistic and sexist because in ancient times there was little to respect in women,women were seen as properties,chattels,second class citizens,you name it etc.Even amongst the most respected philosophers in ancient times e.g Aristotle,were sexist and misogynist grin in ancient Greece where only boys from the age of seven went to school,while the girls basically had no form of education this has been an ancient practice Feminism and enlightenment sought to change.

So why then are people of the 21st century trying to take us back to ancient times to judge the women of today and expect them to still be the way they were.Even in the Bible women were not counted in the census,they were basically not seen as humans worthy to be counted only a few women in the Bible can be role models for religious women but I believe that in 2021 many women of today have a lot of role models to pick from cheesy

The earlier men realise that times have changed and admit to themselves that sexism exist in some religions I think the better they come to terms with the current realities of the changing times,same way some Africans,Europeans and basically every society and culture have done away with some incompatible practices that don't meet today's time even in customary law for it to be valid in Nigeria it must go through some validity test which must respect natural justice,equity and good conscience and be compatible with public policy of today(not ancient times)

You cannot tell a 21st century woman to submit to you in everything as mama Faith said(impossible she knows that too, let's not lie to ourselves),the same Apostle Paul was influenced by the times he grew up in and also said women shouldn't even talk in the church but be silent lipsrsealed lipsrsealed and have authority over a man in anything but why then do we have women preaching and talking in the church isn't this against Apostle Paul's admonition (why do they skip this part) grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Khonifer: 4:13pm On Aug 14, 2021
Are you trying to educate these people? cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by toughchic(f): 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2021
AmazonTopaz:
Why can't they think what exactly is bad about feminism well let me state what feminism means to me and why feminism has come to stay in Nigeria and other developing and third world countries.

The Nigerian woman is at a disadvantage,a lot of social issues the average Nigerian woman faces which thanks to Feminism,gender equality,women empowerment and whatever you wanna call it has brought to the fore-front burning issues such as domestic violence,female genital mutilation,sexual harassment and abuse such as rape,gender based violence etc.Why have these people not seen the social causes feminist has brought to the limelight and made advocacy and proferred solutions for,why have these Christian leaders failed to use the church to serve as medium to address the social plight women face in Nigeria angry angry

They have failed to see the political benefit of feminism which ensures the right to vote through women's suffrage,right to vote and be voted,for occupy public offices and hold public opinion.Even Saudi Arabia is realising this and even granted women the right to drive,vote,hold local offices etc.

What about the economic benefits of women,the right to an education,use their expertise to get jobs etc.None of these would have been made possible by feminism.When did women wanting their rights, responsibilities, opportunities, equality, respect, dignity and basically be seen as human beings become a controversial issue in 2021 angry grin

This is what I know feminism to be and stand for as a feminist grin

What you highlighted here is where the problem lies. Many see feminism from this angle and feel it should end here.

But I have taken it upon myself to remind everyone that feminism is a pro-choice and self-liberation movement.

It covers every area of daily life. It's about autonomy too, individualism, self-liberation.

Every human, no matter their gender should make choices for themselves and not be forced into gender roles or stereotypes. And the marriage shouldn't change this.

With feminism, everyone is being liberated from certain things. For example, one who comes from a place where it is deemed abnormal to be covered from head to toe would feel liberated when one can wear whatever they like including clothing that covers all part of their body.
This phenomena is replicated is all other areas.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by AmazonTopaz(f): 4:16pm On Aug 14, 2021
I am not attacking any religion but we gotta admit the obvious sexism. cheesy

I personally don't believe that leadership is in any gender,no it isn't,if that were true the African continent and Nigeria as it is being ruled by 90% men(fake statistics,but male dominated) would have been an Eldorado but we are not instead we are plagued with terrible leaders.

It is in view of this that I don't subscribe to male headship because some men have led their families to the ground and kukuma capsize the ship and caused a plane crash grin.
During Apostle Paul's time women were not leaders seen or even heard even if they were seen,they were not heard.The times are changing and we will change with the times.Leadership has nothing to do with gender and the capable hands should lead.Women should stop being taught to put themselves down for men,the men should be taught to see their wives as their partners and friends whom they should support and not bring down so as for them to feel that they are men.Your wife should not be your competition but your partner, instead of giving sermon to our women let us teach our men to be better men and husbands we should stop making excuses for them after all are they not the 'head of the family' grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Klass99(f): 4:24pm On Aug 14, 2021
smiley

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by AmazonTopaz(f): 4:26pm On Aug 14, 2021
I personally don't subscribe to that but some feminist do and feminism did not say women who make that 'choice' to shouldn't it is a choice and not a must feminism is about women having choices to decide for themselves.

People should define their marriages and make it on their own terms/standard and stop following the crowd which may not be compatible with their personalities and times.Women/wives of today work and are educated, you cannot expect a full grown educated adult to lose and subject herself to you in everything,it is not possible.I believe in mutualism which encompasses mutual respect,love and even submission but in a nutshell do what works for you and stop blaming feminism. Feminist will get married if they want to and the movement and ideology continues feminism is not against marriage marry who is compatible with you and do what works for you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by AmazonTopaz(f): 4:28pm On Aug 14, 2021
Let me make my honourable mentions.

Klass99,cococandy,Bratislava,hathor5,apatheticme,
Wany,magnoliaa,desvi,fountainofyouth,notopile and forgive me if I didn't mention you feel free to add yours to the discussion

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by AmazonTopaz(f): 4:29pm On Aug 14, 2021
Klass99:

21 kisses kiss and 7 blessings to you.

@Amazon & Topic, the truth is me myself I don't fully understand feminism, but I am aware of it and have a bit of knowledge about it.

My understanding is that women of old (past centuries) wanted to work, wanted to vote and do other things that were good and healthy for the human mind.

How we arrived at this present day interpretation of it baffles me, but I sure as hell appreciate the movement and work, the women before me did which enables and empowers me today, to be the woman that I am - A woman with a mind and a voice of her own, amongst other things.

The picture below explains it

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by AmazonTopaz(f): 4:30pm On Aug 14, 2021
toughchic:

What you highlighted here is where the problem lies. Many see feminism from this angle and feel it should end here.

But I have taken it upon myself to remind everyone that feminism is a pro-choice and self-liberation movement.

It covers every area of daily life. It's about autonomy too, individualism, self-liberation.

Every human, no matter their gender should make choices for themselves and not be forced into gender roles or stereotypes. And the marriage shouldn't change this.

With feminism, everyone is being liberated from certain things. For example, one who comes from a place where it is deemed abnormal to be covered from head to toe would feel liberated when one can wear whatever they like including clothing that covers all part of their body.
This phenomena is replicated is all other areas.

Solid points thank you

4 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by AmazonTopaz(f): 4:32pm On Aug 14, 2021
advanceDNA:

The feminism we have now isn’t a fight for equal right in all areas...It’s favouring women at the expense of men, And women are bringing the ideology into their homes causing problems in already difficult to manage marriages...

That is what the pastors are against..women are our sisters, wives, daughters, cousins. .nobody is after suppressing women...u women are the ones crying foul all the time..

Where is feminism at the expense of men tell yourself the truth cheesy

The marriage is difficult because the men and heads of the home have failed stop blaming it on feminism if you as a man have nothing to offer your wife,swallow your useless pride and stop trying to take her to B.C.

Men should adjust to the current realities not women

4 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by toughchic(f): 4:33pm On Aug 14, 2021
advanceDNA:

The feminism we have now isn’t a fight for equal rights in all areas...It’s favoring women at the expense of men, And women are bringing the ideology into their homes causing problems in already difficult to manage marriages...

That is what the pastors are against..women are our sisters, wives, daughters, cousins. .nobody is after suppressing women...u women are the ones crying foul all the time.

I do not see any feminism favoring women over men. Show me a feminist asking for what she doesn't deserve and I will show you a pseudo-feminist.

It would be best if you point out the ideologies feminists are bringing into their marriages that are causing problems.

And I do not see women crying foul, it's mostly men complaining.

I watched and read many of these religious leaders' commentaries on feminism in marriage and their stance is that feminism stops in marriage.

I stand corrected.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by ThiagoKid(m): 4:57pm On Aug 14, 2021
I can remember vividly when a gal I was chatting with inadvertently revealed her stance on female superiority over men, and how she wish women will overtake men in all facets of life...

I sent her back to the street, where she actually belongs to, with immediately alacrity!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by advanceDNA: 5:02pm On Aug 14, 2021
toughchic:

I do not see any feminism favoring women over men. Show me a feminist asking for what she doesn't deserve and I will show you a pseudo-feminist.

It would be best if you point out the ideologies feminists are bringing into their marriages that are causing problems.

And I do not see women crying foul, it's mostly men complaining.

I watched and read many of these religious leaders' commentaries on feminism in marriage and their stance is that feminism stops in marriage.

I stand corrected.

It doesn’t matter how u see it...what matters is how those championing it in the fore front see it....

If you don’t know anything about the current wave of feminism...Internet is your friend....I don’t have time type epistles...

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Klass99(f): 5:06pm On Aug 14, 2021
smiley

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Fountainofyouth(f): 5:38pm On Aug 14, 2021
And you know the funny bs about our African brethren, especially the Nigerian ones aka nairaland boys, they cry the most like suckling babies about it, yet they are in a society where every single thing favours them, if a female moniker counter their comment, she is automatically a feminist, I honestly do not understand how daft they can be to think that way.

Amazon, you really have time to school these ones here, they are not ready to learn anything, these ones that their thought process is one way no direction, their fellows will say something senseless, they will swallow it hook, line and sinker without thinking it through, imagine one up there saying feminism is favouring women at the expense of men, does that even make sense? Where does that happen? Give example, no, they will run away,

The equality we are fighting for is like an emasculation to them, like we are preventing them from marrying endurance prone women, their controlling right, and egoistic lordship over the female gender, that is solely their everlasting problem with feminism.

I recently met a very foolish man at the ATM who took pride in not knowing how to operate the machine, as he was wasting our time and the next person behind him, I offered to put him through on how to operate it, the idiot had the effontery to tell me "a woman cannot teach a whole man anything, it is an insult", as we were all women waiting in line, we took our time to insult and school the idiot basic fact of life, he had to shamelessly leave without withdrawing anything, you can imagine how he treats his wife at home.

The pride of the menfolk will be their downfall.

Thanks for the mention kiss

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Rubbiish(m): 5:55pm On Aug 14, 2021
Feminism campaign that begins & only ends on nairaland lol
U claim not to be a christian, why are u killing yourself over a message directed to Christians?
U all are answering your father's & husband surname & u come here to deceive yourselves lol
Drop your father's or husband surname & start answering your mother's surname, only then we can take u serious. If u are pushing a course it should start from u, if u are not able to make those around u believe in your course, u are only wasting your time! Expired old hags forming feminists lol

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Fountainofyouth(f): 5:58pm On Aug 14, 2021
@Op, exactly what I typed, they all think one way, look at the one directly above me, he obviously didn't read through, look at his comment and tell me if it isn't exactly like his moniker.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by BRATISLAVA: 6:30pm On Aug 14, 2021
:

How is it favoring women at the expense of men?

In Nigeria? Or in the UK? If in the UK, why is that an issue to Nigerians in Nigeria? If in Nigeria, has the patriarchy been abolished, and aren't men still with glaring male privilege?

Feminism seems to be an issue to men who know the structure is crumbling and the positions they've held aren't because of merit but because of gender.

Those pastors who preach these things are defending their monopoly over a lot of things, and by keeping women in their defined state of submission, they remain the decision makers over the lives of others and beneficiaries.

That is why rather than preaching to men, they preach to women. Way too many men are interested in the preaching of submission, to the detriment of their own value in a marriage. I was surprised to see a man say that a man loves his wife by providing for her. No, he doesn't.

With women able to provide for themselves and their families, how can that former male privilege be a definition of love? One can easily see where men are confused about what they have to do, because they have never been preached to about it. They don't understand that providing money is a responsibility they owe their family according to the same Bible.

Feminism is something men would , if they cared to understand it, embrace. Unfortunately, they are treating it like televisions, the internet and Facebook.

We all know the public outcry and how they said the world would end in 2000AD, the same pastors. Yet here we all are making use of tech and the internet. All of them have online channels.

Their objections are invalid and they will eventually conform. You can't keep people as lesser humans, yet you want to be free from being ruled just because you were born with a penis.

The castle is bound to crumble.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by DontBullshitMe: 6:35pm On Aug 14, 2021
crackhaus:
Mtcheeeeeeeww...

Mad boss.

The guy in this your gif reminded me of "The wire" series which I believe to be the GOAT of all TV series. The dude was one of the actor.

Are you a fan too?

4 Likes

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Rubbiish(m): 6:40pm On Aug 14, 2021
DontBullshitMe:

Mad boss.

The guy in this your gif reminded me of "The wire" series which I believe to be the GOAT of all TV series. The dude was one of the actor.

Are you a fan too?
Very interesting series

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by elonmuskbaby: 6:45pm On Aug 14, 2021
Let me quickly bring chair, popcorn and cold Coca-Cola grin

This thread has the prospects of being an interesting ride cheesy grin

Misogynists and feminist battle,over to you grin

1 Like

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Rubbiish(m): 6:55pm On Aug 14, 2021
You can not be answering your husband & father's surname & say u are not under the leadership of that man! Since u now feel u are wiser than God's word & the society. Start answering your mother's surname & also make your kids to answer that same surname. Ewu grin

Lady hippopotamus hallo cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by Rubbiish(m): 6:55pm On Aug 14, 2021
elonmuskbaby:
Let me quickly bring chair, popcorn and cold Coca-Cola grin

This thread has the prospects of being an interesting ride cheesy grin

Misogynists and feminist battle,over to you grin
Lemme join u kiss

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Attack On Feminism?(a Feminist Perspective) by toughchic(f): 7:08pm On Aug 14, 2021
advanceDNA:

It doesn’t matter how u see it...what matters is how those championing it in the fore front see it....

If you don’t know anything about the current wave of feminism...Internet is your friend....I don’t have time type epistles...

I thought as much. Your assertion came from a place of ignorance.

By the way, it isn't how I see it. It is what it is.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should The Church Have The Right To Demand A HIV Certificate Before Marriage? / Why Must Only The Married Women Wear Wedding Rings But Not The Men? / How Do I Love The Child As Mine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.