Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? (10335 Views)

Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, / Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath / Why Do Most Nigerian Men Have Bad Body Odour? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by lepasharon(f): 7:32pm On May 19, 2011
dats why im weary of naija the nurses have no empathy at all! imagine when pregnant women r screaming dey will just be abusing dem! no sympathy at all!
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by reindeer: 7:33pm On May 19, 2011
M M M:

most of dem do drugs.

Well . . . .it's their job to deal with drugs cheesy grin
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by DisGuy: 8:08pm On May 19, 2011
reindeer:

wrong.

Genuine complains not directed to the right quaters should be frowned upon.It is wasteful and will not achieve anything. There you go again generalising about outcomes of feedback. Have you ever made any feedback formally that was not acted upon?You are assuming and basing your conclusions on hearsay and generalising based on that.I think there's something wrong in that and i wonder why you dont see anything wrong in your approach.You can only change things by doing things properly and in a well thought out manner. Have you ever sued a hospital and they didnt show up in court?have you ever sued a doctor/nurse and they showed contempt of court?what have you done to show grievances?
Sitting down behind a computer lamenting i repeat brings no changes, if you or any of the aggrieved members take action, then you may expect some things to change.
This is the fundamental Nigerian problem, you sit and complain and do nothing and expect change.There is a problem ,agreed, but you have to make effort if you want change. If you have a compelling case, go to SERVICOM, sue the doctor or the hospital or go to the MDCN which has a strong disciplinary committe. It is by doing things like these that advanced countries have developed better systems.
Save for doing the above, i see all the complaints on this forum as meaningless rant which will achieve nothing.

don't know what trust you work for but i'd definitely recommend putting cctv up smiley

like one of the tactics of getting rid of patients is asking them to go to court if they are dissatisfied, in a country where minor cases last decades
typical police sense, all those people complaining about their banks , their universities and politicians are just blowing ranting, well i guess its better to rant where lil god wont threaten you will hired policemen, and the issue of health workers in the country will be known to those hiring from elsewhere.

~finito~
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Tolulop001(f): 8:28pm On May 19, 2011
I have worked in LUTH as a doctor, and to tell u, it goes both ways.

Some doctors are rude and incompetent, true, but the working conditions are terrible.

I had a lady accusing me bitterly that i killed her mother

the ironic thing was that I pushed myself to the limit for this woman, unfortunately she died because we could not get her to the

ICU on time, bureaucracy and all what not

that lady will go and tell everyone how she met one wicked doctor that killed her mother

i just kept quiet, but i was quite distraught.

Imagine doing a 24hour shift and still have to go to work the next day?

And its understandable that some relatives of patients are very unreasonable

its the tension and panic that doctors have to learn to understand to manage.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by reindeer: 8:35pm On May 19, 2011
Dis Guy:

don't know what trust you work for but i'd definitely recommend putting cctv up smiley

like one of the tactics of getting rid of patients is asking them to go to court if they are dissatisfied, in a country where minor cases last decades
typical police sense, all those people complaining about their banks , their universities and politicians are just blowing ranting, well i guess its better to rant where lil god wont threaten you will hired policemen, and the issue of health workers in the country will be known to those hiring from elsewhere.

~finito~

There's already enough CCTV in most trusts including consulting rooms so don't bother.
You have a defeatist attitude to this issue.
Okay dont sue, go to SERVICOM or go to the MDCN ok?
In the UK you can always contact PALS and its taken up. What else do you want the hospitals to do when people refuse to use the modalities put in place for feedback?
If you dont want these approaches its ok, continue to rant if the ranting makes you feel good.

You have a strong bias and you're not willing to see beyond your position, calling them gods already show this. I'll advise you to seek change, just might help.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by MaiSuya(m): 8:44pm On May 19, 2011
Tolulop001:

I have worked in LUTH as a doctor, and to tell u, it goes both ways.

Some doctors are rude and incompetent, true, but the working conditions are terrible.

I had a lady accusing me bitterly that i killed her mother

the ironic thing was that I pushed myself to the limit for this woman, unfortunately she died because we could not get her to the

ICU on time, bureaucracy and all what not

that lady will go and tell everyone how she met one wicked doctor that killed her mother

i just kept quiet, but i was quite distraught.

Imagine doing a 24hour shift and still have to go to work the next day?

And its understandable that some relatives of patients are very unreasonable

its the tension and panic that doctors have to learn to understand to manage.

typical. As an HO it was quite normal to do a 24 hours shift and then report for work the following day. one was given just enough time to rush home take your bath, grab a bite or two, and then run back to hospital to meet cranky, ungrateful, unreasonable patients.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 19, 2011
Servicom is a toothless bulldog, dey work n d same building. I agree some nurses are kind, but a large bunch are rude. I disagree with d notion of under pressure, everyone has being aware of that, its d work condition. LUTH needs customer service orientation for all staff cadre. I wont forget in a hurry d attitude of one young tall dark female dr ade and d nurses on duty yesterday 19th n female ward A4, luth.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by ziga: 9:31pm On May 19, 2011
The same Nigerian doctors and nurses relocate to US and the UK where they are well respected and appreciated by the society, where they are better paid, where they have equipment to work with and over there, they become very professional, nice and loving.

What this tells us is that the problem is not the nurses and the doctors. The problem is a failure of the whole health system in the country. Actually, almost everything has failed.
Everybody is frustrated, and truthfully, it takes a lot of will power not to vent your anger on the people you are meant to serve. lecturers take out their anger on students, Health workers on patients, MTN customer service on customers, conductors on passengers . . . The list is endless!!!

Every single Nigerian is involved in one way or the other.

I'm not saying this is the right way to go. Just saying that before you start pointing. . . look in the mirror. if everybody did this including our leaders, maybe everything will be better someday.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by reindeer: 9:34pm On May 19, 2011
ziga:

The same Nigerian doctors and nurses relocate to US and the UK where they are well respected and appreciated by the society, where they are better paid, where they have equipment to work with and over there, they become very professional, nice and loving.

What this tells us is that the problem is not the nurses and the doctors. The problem is a failure of the whole health system in the country. Actually, almost everything has failed.
Everybody is frustrated, and truthfully, it takes a lot of will power not to vent your anger on the people you are meant to serve. lecturers take out their anger on students, Health workers on patients, MTN customer service on customers, conductors on passengers . . . The list is endless!!!

Every single Nigerian is involved in one way or the other.

I'm not saying this is the right way to go. Just saying that before you start pointing. . . look in the mirror. if everybody did this including our leaders, maybe everything will be better someday.

Thank you.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by snamax: 11:13pm On May 19, 2011
LUTH doctors, nurses and intern are the worst in the whole damn world. I have bitter experience far back in 2008 which i will never forgive them for the death of my mum. I don’t pray even for my enemy ( if i have one though) to be admitted or take his/her people there. I can’t say much here coz it will only make me cry the more.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 11:29pm On May 19, 2011
shirleyz:

Well, thank God i now know about servicom, cos i will report a lot of nurses. This is not about people coming in here to run their mouths, i am sure they have had bad experiences. I for one had several experiences when i was  a student with this nurses, they are damn rude and most times my friends that take me to the hospital end up giving them a piece of their mind almost on all occassions, the doctors are better as they have listening ears. I have a doctor friend in LUTH who also complains bitterly about the nurses that he has to work with that they almost got a patient killed during his shift one day at work.

And the other day a colleague of mine had an accident, see the nonchalant attitude they put up and the victim was just crying and asking us if that was how he would just die. Nurses are damn rude, no offense.

Stop generalizing will you? undecided I have been to hospitals in Nigeria and have met good ones. Stop giving them bad name abeg. Nurses are rude meaning what? that the ones in the westernized countries are rude as well? undecided you need exposure, leave naija and come see good health care professionals in obodo oyibo instead of basing your assumptions on LUTH healthcare professionals alone.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by chioma134: 11:42pm On May 19, 2011
I agree hospital staff can be rude,but most times it depends on individual temperaments and not the system. Some patients and relatives think they r in a hotel and not a hospital. I'm usually level-headed,but hve had patients push me beyond my endurance limits.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by jogotai: 11:44pm On May 19, 2011
God will c us thro this situation
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Seun(m): 11:33am On May 20, 2011
chioma134:

I agree hospital staff can be rude,but most times it depends on individual temperaments and not the system. Some patients and relatives think they r in a hotel and not a hospital.
That's where you are wrong. In a sane society, the only difference between a hospital and a hotel is that in a hospital, your customers are sick, and therefore they deserve a[b] higher level of care and attention[/b]. Don't think of them as patients or wards or slaves; think of them as customers.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 20, 2011
Seun:

That's where you are wrong. In a sane society, the only difference between a hospital and a hotel is that in a hospital, your customers are sick, and therefore they deserve a[b] higher level of care and attention[/b]. Don't think of them as patients or wards or slaves; think of them as customers.
thank u seun. People come into d clinic sick and even relatives worried about their loved ones. Most of d time d doctors and nurses are highly regarded as having a solution to d patients problem, i now dont know maybe that's what gets into their head to start misbehaving. And dis same folks get abroad, work under pressure and dare not misbehave. In Luth human being are little or not regarded, and dats so sad.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by cnwamo(m): 12:43pm On May 20, 2011
There's always a good and bad side of everything including professions and professionals. Bad and Good Doctors, Nurses, Bankers, Managers, Engineers etc.
I've been a staff nurse for 3years now and i've spent 2years now working in Julius Berger Clinic, Yes some nurses and doctors are rude but not all. We are all Humans anybody can be pissed off even when u dont expect them to thats where ''individual differences'' comes into play, moreover the patients are not saints either at times you want to stick a scapel into their eyes, i had a patient who wanted to beat me up just because i told him to wait for His turn, can u imagine so u cant always blame the medics
@POSTER, expect such things wherever you find humans no matter the profession
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by reindeer: 1:18pm On May 20, 2011
cnwamo:

There's always a good and bad side of everything including professions and professionals. Bad and Good Doctors, Nurses, Bankers, Managers, Engineers etc.
I've been a staff nurse for 3years now and i've spent 2years now working in Julius Berger Clinic, Yes some nurses and doctors are rude but not all. We are all Humans anybody can be pissed off even when u dont expect them to thats where ''individual differences'' comes into play, moreover the patients are not saints either at times you want to stick a scapel into their eyes, i had a patient who wanted to beat me up just because i told him to wait for His turn, can u imagine so u cant always blame the medics
@POSTER, expect such things wherever you find humans no matter the profession

Thank you. I think many posters here didn't read the entire thread. Most comments would have been held back if they did.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by ekeneval: 4:21pm On May 20, 2011
I was admiited in Luth B2 to b precise sometime in sept last year and I saw hell while on admission. The nurses were very rude and like shouting @ patients. They abuse patients as if they are not human beings. one lady was bleeding bc she had problem after delivery. Nobody was allowed to stay with her and she could not do anything by herself. She was seriously bleeding and d nurses were just shouting and abusing her. I didnt konw when I broke down in tears bc it was just pathetic even though I was in pains too. Pls the mgt should do something about the nurses there, the work is not by force.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by thirty(m): 5:26pm On May 20, 2011
i wonder why you dont get the fact.

"It is from their nursing training. Doctors are better."

There was a nurse that died recently in LUTH and the student were rejoicing. imaging because of her wickedness.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by sledge406: 8:16am On May 21, 2011
thirty:

i wonder why you dont get the fact.

"It is from their nursing training. Doctors are better."

There was a nurse that died recently in LUTH and the student were rejoicing. imaging because of her wickedness.

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Now that's funny. (Well like the saying goes, the end justify the means---same way people rejoiced when Sani Abacha died, when Osama Bin Laden died too)
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by kinguwem: 6:55am On Sep 03, 2012
naijaking1: My family had to put an evening shift head nurse on pay-roll of 15,000 naira a month so that my dad got his medications and other regular nursing attention a few years back embarassed
Nursing and medicine are just like other professions in Nigeria, there is nothing like customer service. From Bankers, to engineers, to even priests.
There is no permanent evening Head Nurse in LUTH or any government hospital. Perhaps you gave the money to the Unit Matron who is usually on permanent morning duty. There are good and bad officers. Perhaps you encountered the bad one. I think there is a lot of pressure on clinical staff because of shortage of manpower. The hospital management is usually reluctant to address the issue because of financial benefits.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 5:53am On Dec 04, 2012
Oh I didn't end this story. Alright my mum finally died last year july in Luth. Irony u will say. Remembering all we went through usually breaks me.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 19, 2013
Can someone mention where one can get a warm customer service in Nigeria apart from hotels and few private business outfits? No one remembers that bankers have very poor attitude towards customers except u're a millionaire. Even a school girl who issues receipts for travellers in a bus terminus in Nigeria gets very arrogant. It's not health workers only. Some of d posters who nail health workers here are very guilty.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by chessguru1(m): 11:34pm On Jan 20, 2013
maybe they should incorporate attitudinal training in their course content.I know bankers undergo a lot of training to absorb bullshi#t from their customers grin
For free fat loss tips and article pls visit www.fatsolution.net
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Nobody: 7:55am On Jan 21, 2013
valacious: As mourinho will ask why? Why is it that ALL medical workers,starting from doctors,matrons,nurses, and d worst-student doctors on intern in Luth lack manners and have bad attitude. Had a sour experience when i went to look up my mum.
why do nigerians lack manner?i ve noted people are rude in their office and wants good treatment in other offices.nigerians are not civilized and full of hypocrisy.
Re: Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? by Ogininafio1(m): 10:04am On Jan 25, 2013
The doctors are better Sha!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For December 8 2020 In Nigeria / C-section Delivery: How Many Times Is Too Much? / What Is A Real Test Of A Woman Virginty?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.