Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,232 members, 7,836,117 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition (14447 Views)

Poll: Is it ok for them to do this sort of thing?

Yes, I support it.: 15% (17 votes)
No, it's a mistake.: 84% (96 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You A Pervert? Take This Test To Find Out.. / Try This Simple Test To Know If You Have A Weird Mind / See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by spoilt(f): 12:45am On Aug 10, 2007
i still dont understand why a pregnant girl shouldnt not be allowed to graduate. having a child on the way with or without a husband should not prevent a woman from getting an education. "its a christian school"! "its a christian school", people have been bleating. so christian schools are now courts of judgement where sins cannot be forgiven? depriving her of that education doesnt in anyway redeem her from her 'sins' or offer her salvation. so if the punishment does her no good why is it dished out? to make a public spectacle of her? to ridicule and humiliate her and make an unforgetable example of her? it only remains to bring out the stones to start pelting her. it reminds me very much of the self righteous pharisees of old. im still waiting for an answer of what happens to the men who pregnate women. the rules are often very silent about that.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:06am On Aug 10, 2007
spoilt:

i still don't understand why a pregnant girl shouldnt not be allowed to graduate. having a child on the way with or without a husband should not prevent a woman from getting an education. "its a christian school"! "its a christian school", people have been bleating. so christian schools are now courts of judgement where sins cannot be forgiven? depriving her of that education doesnt in anyway redeem her from her 'sins' or offer her salvation. so if the punishment does her no good why is it dished out? to make a public spectacle of her? to ridicule and humiliate her and make an unforgetable example of her? it only remains to bring out the stones to start pelting her. it reminds me very much of the self righteous pharisees of old. im still waiting for an answer of what happens to the men who pregnate women. the rules are often very silent about that.

Isn't that the stupidity that exists in Nigeria.
Amina Lawal carried belle,they convicted her to be stoned to death according to northern sharia,the man goes free for lack of evidence.

A covenant university girl carries belle,she is sent packing.
I wonder what would happen if she randomly names some official in the school as the belle giver.
Will he also be cast out like a demon?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by sage(m): 5:59am On Aug 10, 2007
@babyosisi

You know our culture (and most cultures) dont see anything wrong with a man sleeping around

for the most part women desire sex in stable relationships

on the other hand

our culture reflects the male view of sex

save for religious reasons, or fear of diseases, a man's instinct is to have sex with as much desirable women as possible.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Gamine(f): 2:29pm On Aug 10, 2007
*shaking head*

this people gon!

i don tire

evn the Bible sef talk am say

e hard to teach a fool wise things

infact a camel go pass thru eye of tiny tiny needle first

i don sign out sha lipsrsealed

Covenant University
Here i come oooh! grin grin
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 11:22pm On Aug 10, 2007
dakmanzero:

If you want a say in the matter, don't send your kids to such a place. simple.

End of matter
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by spoilt(f): 12:41am On Aug 11, 2007
sage:

@babyosisi

You know our culture (and most cultures) don't see anything wrong with a man sleeping around

for the most part women desire sex in stable relationships

on the other hand

our culture reflects the male view of sex

save for religious reasons, or fear of diseases, a man's instinct is to have sex with as much desirable women as possible.

and isnt it the christians who should know better that sin or bad behaviour is not exclusive to one gender.
they both carry equal weight in the eyes of God despite the gender of the culprit.
if men and women of God are biased in this regard then we are all done for!  shocked
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by icezik1(m): 10:51am On Aug 17, 2007
All na story. The truth is no matter what new rule they come up with thousands of people still hustle to enter CU every year.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by honeric01(m): 3:25pm On Aug 17, 2007
;d
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by xJaysonx(m): 3:25pm On Aug 19, 2007
It's moronic.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 1:47am On Aug 22, 2007
All their mouth na yeye oh
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by emmydsife(m): 2:27am On Aug 22, 2007
I learnt they deny saying that.But if a student a should test positive to these tests,what then is there moral ground.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by lilvonz(m): 1:20pm On Aug 22, 2007
Check this out.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6955149.stm

Here is the news in full

Authorities are investigating a church-owned Nigerian university which has imposed compulsory HIV testing for its graduates, officials say.

The National Universities Commission (NUC) says it has summoned the leadership of Covenant University to explain its controversial policy.

"We are trying to find out if it's true that students are being tested for HIV and pregnancy," an Nuc spokesman said.

Nigeria's AIDS control agency says the new policy is illegal.

But the Covenant University says its policy had been misunderstood by the media.

"We are not testing our students for HIV," Covenant University spokesman Emmanuel Igban told the BBC News website.

"What we do is a general medical test at the point of entry or admission and at graduation."

The university says it wants to produce "total graduates" which means in addition to passing all examinations, Covenant University graduates must be "morally upright" too.

The National Agency for the Control of Aids (Naca) calls the university's action "a breach of the fundamental human rights of the students".

Covenant University is owned by the Pentecostal Living Faith Church of Nigeria.

The university's academic year is made up two sessions called "Alpha" and "Omega".

The Anglican Church in Nigeria advises couples to take an HIV test before they can marry in church.

The church says the move is to enable parishioners to make "informed decisions" when choosing marriage partners.

Nigeria is a deeply religious country with her 140 million people almost evenly divided between Christians and Muslims.

Naca says 4.4 per cent of Nigeria's 140 million people live with HIV, the virus that causes Aids.

I want Nairaland users to tell me their views about this. smiley
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 5:32pm On Aug 22, 2007
Good action by NUC. Covernant probably got carried away. They think they are God.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 22, 2007
Many churches in Naija want couples to show their HIV results before they wed them,that is very good in a naija setting.
It protects everyone involved and should be commended.

But the universiy admission one is way too much.
It makes no sense
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by spoilt(f): 12:52am On Aug 23, 2007
its different if they test the students just so they know their status but if its to deny them graduation then the policy makes no sense
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by mamaput(f): 7:46am On Aug 23, 2007
The school has no right to test its aganst the law.
The church c an recommend it but they too have no right to demand it
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by kanz: 3:17pm On Aug 24, 2007
@ spoilt because it is written in d handbk dat no girl is allowed 2 b pregnant in schl.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by spoilt(f): 2:25am On Aug 25, 2007
kanz:

@ spoilt because it is written in d handbk that no girl is allowed 2 b pregnant in schl.

siongle and pregnant or married and pregnant? do married women not attend this school? -pregnant women go to school too.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 5:20pm On Aug 25, 2007
kanz:

@ spoilt because it is written in d handbk that no girl is allowed 2 b pregnant in schl.

Makes their policy total thrash
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by lelele: 4:53pm On Aug 27, 2007
the problem with us in Nig is that we are too dogmatic, we follow every man of God and swallow whatever he says hook line and sinker, in nigeria a man of God is a god of men.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 10:40pm On Aug 27, 2007
True talk
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by lelele: 1:12pm On Aug 28, 2007
It's funny when people say some parents signed an agreement before their wards were admmitted to the school, if the contents of the signed document are what we have heard so far, the ''contract'' is not binding because it does not follow the guidilines of the law of contract, or is covenant no longer in Nigeria,we have heard some many ludricious tales about water being sold on the campus without a nafdac number and the school authority saying it does not need a nafdac number, anyways we are waiting for the school to take such a foolish step we will only be to glad to milk some money out of them, afterall what goes around comes around.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 1:26am On Aug 29, 2007
There was no agreement like that on ground.

I have a question for all you faithfuls of CU.Why d bishop no send him children go there?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by kanz: 10:28am On Aug 29, 2007
9ja4eva:

There was no agreement like that on ground.

I have a question for all you faithfuls of CU.Why d bishop no send him children go there?
that is because his children were in the university before cu was established. his last born is in his secondary school and she is coming to cu. any more questions?
spoilt:

siongle and pregnant or married and pregnant? do married women not attend this school? -pregnant women go to school too.
married people attend the school but they have agreed not to get pregnant. pregnant people don't attend the school. if u are pregnant u defer your admission.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 4:01pm On Aug 29, 2007
Not true in any way

Isaac and Love were not in school then.They were about getting into school when CU opened.Abeg leave tori jare.Make we hear word
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by spoilt(f): 1:21am On Aug 30, 2007
kanz:

married people attend the school but they have agreed not to get pregnant. pregnant people don't attend the school. if u are pregnant u defer your admission.

doesnt that just sound silly. so carrying a fetus now stops you from acquiring an education?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 1:24am On Aug 30, 2007
Thats d price of hypocrisy in CU
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Mustay(m): 5:44pm On Aug 31, 2007
what a school!!!
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 11:38pm On Aug 31, 2007
I tire oh
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Mustay(m): 11:44pm On Aug 31, 2007
and i get some pas 4 ere

them don turn 2 mugu the last time i see them
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by 9ja4eva: 11:53pm On Aug 31, 2007
Well wetin u expect to be with d kind life wey dem dey live for dia
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Aladunni(f): 10:33am On Sep 01, 2007
The university says it wants to produce "total graduates" which means in addition to passing all examinations, Covenant University graduates must be "morally upright" too.

I love that!!! "total graduates" "morally upright". The administration or whoever started this should cover his face with both hands for shame. A "christian school" for Christ sake, so what ave u been teaching them for the past 4/5/6 years of being in that school. Analyse this please, its a school without strike, that means at the least each student stays in the school for at least 7 to 8 months in 12 months of every year for 4 years. The school has a even greater responsibility over each student than their parents may, so what ave u been inculcating in them that would ave made them so careless to contact HIV or become pregnant in the first place. As someone said "are the ones pregnant not even better than those that are not" cos they are chaste enough to procreate another destiny rather than cut him short of his purpose through abortion. It shows u ave not done your jobs correctly, cos right from the onset if u had wanted to produce those qualities in the "future leaders". Then u ll like sew their private organs up and open them at graduation
Nairalanders its the issue of the HEART. Did u work on the heart of this students at all, in teaching the morals if its part of the curriculum, were they taught/preached rightly to or all u do is preaching by CONDEMNATION which makes any human defensive and more rebellious. I had to bring this in becos, its a "spiritual school"
pardon me oooo if i don meskafo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Thread For Masters Degree Students / 100 Best Secondary Schools In Africa / Unn Opens Biggest Library In West Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.