Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,901 members, 7,821,139 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition (14394 Views)

Poll: Is it ok for them to do this sort of thing?

Yes, I support it.: 15% (17 votes)
No, it's a mistake.: 84% (96 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You A Pervert? Take This Test To Find Out.. / Try This Simple Test To Know If You Have A Weird Mind / See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:50am On Jul 26, 2007
HIV INFECTION

5.4 The risk of occupationally acquired HIV infection is extremely small. World-wide, up to the end of December 1999, a total of 102 seroconversions to HIV infection had been recorded among health care workers; of these 35 were European cases, including 5 from the UK. In addition there were 217 HIV infections world-wide which were possibly acquired occupationally; of these 68 were from Europe, including 8 from the UK. All 8 probably acquired infection outwith the UK.

5.5 The overall rate of HIV transmission from a single percutaneous exposure to HIV infected blood is of the order of 0.3%. Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) has been shown in one study to reduce this rate by 80%. UK guidance on HIV PEP was first issued in July 1997 and revised in July 2000. Since 1997, national surveillance of occupational health exposure to blood-borne viruses has been in place. By the end of 1999, 255 incidents involving an HIV positive source had been reported in England, with one seroconversion to HIV. These figures are based on a voluntary scheme and the true figures may be higher (Communicable Disease Report, PHLS). Over the same period in Scotland there were 19 reports of occupational exposure to HIV, with no seroconversions.
On the information available at present the group's best estimate of the rate of seroconversion in Scotland is that there would be a health care worker
HIV seroconversion every forty years (presuming PEP is not given, every 200 years if it is).

http://www.sehd.scot.nhs.uk/publications/Nisa/nisa-06.htm

Thankfully I found the UK studies,the American statistics are almost the same so naijaking be careful,not everyone opens their mouths to say rubbish
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by k0be: 1:56am On Jul 26, 2007
Immigration is a different matter.
If a student or resident in med school here in the states becomes infected,he or she has to leave and get into other courses but that's due to the nature of the business,I wouldn't want an OBGYN with AIDS and I know no one would want that but to completely kick the individual out of school is not right.
please o, it's not a different matter. the most important message is, preventative action was taken.
But I do agree with you, it's up to us as people to think and come up with ideas for better regulations.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Esss(m): 1:57am On Jul 26, 2007
The policy is very stupid when looked at closely.

Like someone rightly said, what about girls who were raped by force or druged, who dosent/hasent make/made mistakes in his/her life. HIV according to the university policy is only contracted by sex. What about those who got it by either blood transfusion, blades, e.t.c.

You can see that this policy is highly flawed, and should be changed.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 1:58am On Jul 26, 2007
@babyosisi

babyosisi:

Immigration is a different matter.
If a student or resident in med school here in the states becomes infected,he or she has to leave and get into other courses but that's due to the nature of the business,I wouldn't want an OBGYN with AIDS and I know no one would want that but to completely kick the individual out of school is not right.

You were doing so well until you went into the above statements.

Those are not entirly true.

Nobody ever involuntarily gets kicked out of med. school or residency secondary to positive HIV.

I am fully aware of the case study with a GA dentist.

"He or she has to leave and get into other courses" sounds like they are kicked out, but in reality, they are not.

I could tell you what's done if you want me to, but let's focus on CU.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by k0be: 2:00am On Jul 26, 2007
expulsion does not solve the issue. They need to be monitored or something,
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 2:02am On Jul 26, 2007
Nobody ever involuntarily gets kicked out of med. school or residency secondary to positive HIV.

IN the USA they do.
Medical and dental school.
I'll proove you wrong again
You cannot complete your studies if you are HIV positive in many schools I know, no ifs or buts.
That's just the way it is.

If a med practitioner turns HIV positive,he is required by law to disclose it to all his patients and you have to answer questions to your HIV status to renew your license.
So automnatically that practictioners career as far as medicine is concerned is finished.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 2:03am On Jul 26, 2007
@babyosisi

Thanks for your 10 y/o British study, problem is, it's a bit stale. Got an update?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 2:05am On Jul 26, 2007
What Covenant University has done is a slide into the Paleolithic Era. All I can say is, let them carry their school and eat. It's not even that they are the best in Nigeria. We have a lot of alternatives to that school. Period!
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 2:07am On Jul 26, 2007
naijaking1:

@babyosisi

Thanks for your 10 y/o British study, problem is, it's a bit stale. Got an update?

Honey I have no problems with your sarcasm.I happen to know what I'm saying from my profession not the internet.
I'm sure you've learnt something from me today grin
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 2:18am On Jul 26, 2007
This Covenant University affair is an exercise in absurdity. Whoever advised them to tow this line doesn't have their interest at heart.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 2:24am On Jul 26, 2007
@babyosisi

I'm sorry if I came across sarcastic to you. Not my intention at all.

I am actually one of your biggest fans on nairaland.

Hiv conversion rate among healthcareworkers and the fate of infected workers are not really the issue we should be discussing now, I did all that in medical school.

I'm happy we both agree that there are so many problems with this CU policy.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 2:36am On Jul 26, 2007
naijaking1:

@babyosisi

I'm sorry if I came across sarcastic to you. Not my intention at all.

I am actually one of your biggest fans on nairaland.

Hiv conversion rate among healthcareworkers and the fate of infected workers are not really the issue we should be discussing now, I did all that in medical school.

I'm happy we both agree that there are so many problems with this CU policy.

apology accepted graciously.
I only pointed that out to say that infection from an HIV patient by casual contact is unheard of so I don't know why a university would send a student packing for that reason.
So HIV infection rate comes in play here.
When healthcare workers are at little risk why should a university have this type of fear?
That's just my point
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by WesleyanA(f): 2:39am On Jul 26, 2007

If Oyedipo and co. did not tell students from day 1 that you will not graduate with a positive HIV and pregnancy tests, then no matter how many divine inspirations he must recieved, the action remains illegal and improper.

i'm hoping this isn't true. cause it really is illegal.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 2:40am On Jul 26, 2007
I attended Oyedepos church briefly when he was in Kaduna and I loved him,now I'm highly dissapointed
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by WesleyanA(f): 2:43am On Jul 26, 2007
my mom loves him.
i love his church though. winners chapel was the cool church to go to then. probably still is.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 2:47am On Jul 26, 2007
I just can't tell you how much I have put into his congregations in ATL and NYC, without talking to my CPA.

It's a slap on the face. I feel that I have inadvertently aided and abetted a stupid and selfish policy.

I think we should assit anybody that wants to sue him.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 2:59am On Jul 26, 2007
One thing you must know. Pastor Oyedepo does not run CU. He has a board that does it, and I can even bet he knows nothing of this development. You know how those surrounding big men insulate them from news. So don't blame him. His is Church business, and his academicians take care of the school. Don't use this opportunity to insult God's servant. That one, God Himself will respond to you personally. So, guard your comments.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 3:21am On Jul 26, 2007
@Chiori,

Is that a warning from God to us through you?

If so, why do you think God has chosen you as the messenger, and what makes you think we should accept you?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 4:01am On Jul 26, 2007
No matter what religion you practise, you do not talk insolently to any cleric. It's just never done. What I am saying is, no matter your grouse, do not insult any religious leader.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by spoilt(f): 5:02am On Jul 26, 2007
so pregnant women cant attend this school? shocked
what if they are married?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 7:32am On Jul 26, 2007
I wonder.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by pappilo(m): 8:07am On Jul 26, 2007
All you guys saying it is a private University and they can do as they please are not exceptionally smart. As many people have posted, you can become HIV+ in a number of ways and not necessarily through sexual intercourse.

Where does the university stop? will it begin to exclude Muslims and then Igbos e.t.c afterall you say it is a private Uni and they can do as they please. That man Oyedepo will burn in hell if he really discriminates against HIV+ and pregnant students
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by wynny(f): 8:54am On Jul 26, 2007
The thing is, i think they are just trying to avoid talk.In case someone wants to say that he/she contacted HIV in school,they can always back themselves up by saying they screened everyone that came in.They actually have a right to do that and i dont think they are discriminating.I think the pregnancy stuff is unnecessary as it doesnt really make sense to me.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by uchetobi(f): 9:07am On Jul 26, 2007
• the pregnancy test is their business realy. They will just make people go for abortion. Simple. But the HIV makes absolutely no sense. NGO’s and Human right activist should protest against it. Sex is not the only way to contact HIV and even if it is every human being has a right to education. WTF?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by wynny(f): 9:26am On Jul 26, 2007
please do not insult the Bishop!.thats totally wrong.Everone is entitled to their own beliefs, you'd better pray so ur insult wont backfire.lol.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by qeemus: 9:31am On Jul 26, 2007
, i don't get this, does it mean that there are no married ladies in the school?and if there are,does it mean they must not go near thier husbands  all thru thier stay @convenant?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by uchetobi(f): 9:58am On Jul 26, 2007
How does the use of it or vice versa make someone a better xtian and student or professional? Its gangster upon all their noise their students are the ones that rock most of the Lag clubs on Friday nite. They still lost one of their students in the club
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Rhemi(f): 10:39am On Jul 26, 2007
Guys am a new on this forum.
About This issue, i think u guys should know the basis and objective of why Covenant University is doing it before misyarning. Some people dont even know whether if its when entering the school or leaving.
U guys don't even know wat will happen if any student is found positive 2 these test. Even the government advices people to do the HIV test. If u dont like the school then free it. everyone knows the rules before entering so you either follow it or leave it.
FREE COVENANT UNIVERSITY O! cool
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by wiseguy(m): 10:47am On Jul 26, 2007
What? what is this? is this true?

I have a brother who is a Pastor in that church. Right now, I feel like giving him a punch in the face.

omg, i'm pissed.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by wiseguy(m): 11:00am On Jul 26, 2007
Rhemi:

About This issue, i think u guys should know the basis and objective of why Covenant University is doing it before misyarning. Some people don't even know whether if its when entering the school or leaving.

This is not the point. the policy is flawed.

Rhemi:

If u don't like the school then free it. everyone knows the rules before entering so you either follow it or leave it.

are u implying that people who don't like their life conditions, have the option of commiting suicide?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by ebos(m): 11:01am On Jul 26, 2007
I think I have said it before. Something that has a better alternative should not be a problem to us. Nigerians can do without the school. There are many better private and federal universities people can go.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by uchetobi(f): 11:13am On Jul 26, 2007
the issue is not that there are no other schools to go to: it is about discrimination and violation of human right. Read the punch link. A student said if you are HIV + you cant graduate until you receive a healing miracle

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

America University of Nigeria Gets ₦17 Million Grant From Google / Obafemi Awolowo University Post-utme For 2015/2016 Academic Session / 100 Best Secondary Schools In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.