Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,288 members, 7,836,273 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition (14450 Views)

Poll: Is it ok for them to do this sort of thing?

Yes, I support it.: 15% (17 votes)
No, it's a mistake.: 84% (96 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You A Pervert? Take This Test To Find Out.. / Try This Simple Test To Know If You Have A Weird Mind / See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Okeamu1(m): 11:26pm On Jul 25, 2007
Source please,
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 11:31pm On Jul 25, 2007
Sad development. Covenant University! Why? That's outrageous, incredulous, and ridiculous.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by WesleyanA(f): 12:07am On Jul 26, 2007
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200707143315379

the article is pretty ridiculous and hilarious at the same time, but I'm not surprised.
there are some ridiculous Christian schools like that in the US (Pensacola and bob Jones universities) but they are unaccredited (unrecognized by the federal govt and employers in general) so nobody really cares what they do.

did these students know about this policy before they enrolled?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Esss(m): 12:22am On Jul 26, 2007
I have said it 1million times over that these so-called christians are the ones destroying Africa. A continent with more churches than banks, schools and any other social or economic infrastructure, yet the poorest in the world.

I'm not suprised. What do you expect when a dumb ass pastor thinks he can run a University. I was expecting to hear that the students had to be born-again to enroll/graduate. I think the ministry of education should close down all those mediocre universities. If y'all should hear the ridiculous rules that apply in those universities you'll laugh yourself to death.
A university is supposed to be a place where adult minds are groomed, But all these pastors have decided to ridicule the whole thing. Boys dont walk with girls, no relationships, lights out, chapel time, e.t.c. What a joke. I imagine the kind of socially redundant students they are training.
What is the student union doing about these universities sef?? And the parents and students should file a class action suit against the university. I believe there should be a law against such discrimination.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 12:31am On Jul 26, 2007
In what way is christianity destroying Africa? Do not judge the whole based on the actions of a tiny minority. I reacted with shock to Covenant University's decision but I am a christian, too. Watch your tongue. Or you have chosen to forget the destruction meted out on this country as well as other African states by Islamic militants! Have we then concluded that Islam is destroying Africa and the world at large? Esss, stop making sweeping statements, and stop inciting angst.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by WesleyanA(f): 12:43am On Jul 26, 2007
Chiori:

In what way is christianity destroying Africa? Do not judge the whole based on the actions of a tiny minority. I reacted with shock to Covenant University's decision but I am a christian, too. Watch your tongue. Or you have chosen to forget the destruction meted out on this country as well as other African states by Islamic militants! Have we then concluded that Islam is destroying Africa and the world at large? Esss, stop making sweeping statements, and stop inciting angst.

lmao. never thought I'd live to see this day when a christian on nairaland will say "do not judge the whole based on the actions of a tiny minority" (except for a few understanding christians i've seen on here)
this statement usually fall on deaf ears when Muslims say it to their Christian persecutors. lol

I have nothing against the school (now that i've found out that it's a religious school, 'cause i was shocked at first). but I'm just wondering if the students knew about the rules before they enrolled.
or did the school just create this policy 10 days before student graduation. that would be illegal i think.

@Esss, i don't think religion is destroying Africa. conservative religion is the culprit. joking, but seriously though. lol methinks religion is just suffering the consequences of our poverty/ problems.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 26, 2007
Esss:

I have said it 1million times over that these so-called christians are the ones destroying Africa. A continent with more churches than banks, schools and any other social or economic infrastructure, yet the poorest in the world.

I'm not suprised. What do you expect when a dumb ass pastor thinks he can run a University. I was expecting to hear that the students had to be born-again to enroll/graduate. I think the ministry of education should close down all those mediocre universities. If y'all should hear the ridiculous rules that apply in those universities you'll laugh yourself to death.
A university is supposed to be a place where adult minds are groomed, But all these pastors have decided to ridicule the whole thing. Boys don't walk with girls, no relationships, lights out, chapel time, e.t.c. What a joke. I imagine the kind of socially redundant students they are training.
What is the student union doing about these universities sef?? And the parents and students should file a class action suit against the university. I believe there should be a law against such discrimination.

Now you are stepping out of bounds.
Watch yourself now or I'll cut you grin

Oral Roberts Uni and several others here in the USA are prestigious Christian schools.
Talk about Covenant University not Christendom.
The policy stinks and I'm sure a host of Christians agree.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 12:51am On Jul 26, 2007
WesleyanA:

lmao. never thought I'd live to see this day when a christian on nairaland will say "do not judge the whole based on the actions of a tiny minority" (except for a few understanding christians i've seen on here)
this statement usually fall on deaf ears when Muslims say it to their Christian persecutors. lol

I have nothing against the school (now that i've found out that it's a religious school, 'cause i was shocked at first). but I'm just wondering if the students knew about the rules before they enrolled.
or did the school just create this policy 10 days before student graduation. that would be illegal i think.

@Esss, i don't think religion is destroying Africa. conservative religion is the culprit. joking, but seriously though. lol methinks religion is just suffering the consequences of our poverty/ problems.

Honey,don't laugh yet.
The actions of those muslims are exemplified by Mohammeds and the commands to follow suit are there for you to see.
On the other hand,Christianity is about love ,Christ gives it freely to all.
Discrimination of any source is not biblical.
That is the big difference.

back to the topic
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 12:53am On Jul 26, 2007
Your laughter is only justified when you tell me Christ taught discrimination.
What covenant university is doing has no biblical basis at all.
I can understand if they turned away atheists and Muslims since it's a Christian school but sick people and those "heavy with child"?
That ain't right
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Esss(m): 1:00am On Jul 26, 2007
I am not inciting nothing O! I am not a muslim so I cant talk about their own. But Christians who are "the righteous" that are supposed to be the liberals are the ones promoting such hate and discrimination. I didn't instigate nothing, the writing is there on the wall or in the newspaper for all to see. What next, Muslims cant attend their university, or maybe catholics, or even diabetics. Or like someone said non-virgins will be their next target.

If this is not an example of Christianity like other religions being destructive, then what is. All churches should be banned from venturing into any other franchise (cos they will only end up promoting more hate and segregation in the society). All church owned Universities, shops, e.t.c should be seized. The finances of churches should be monitored by the government and EFCC. I believe that these pastors are wielding too much power.

We are all talking about convenant simply because their own has been made public, but this thing is being encouraged by other so-called christians like him. Instead of healing the sick they are driving them away, instead of advising and encouraging these young mothers they are depriving them of their certificates that could only help them become better individuals in the future.

My stand remains, Christianity like other religions is destroying us. My opinion.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by WesleyanA(f): 1:04am On Jul 26, 2007
@babyosisi, ok good for you. smiley
pastor oyedepo will disagree with you. likewise many other conservative Christians and catholics.

All churches should be banned from venturing into any other franchise (because they will only end up promoting more hate and segregation in the society).

i totally agree with you on separation of church and state. smiley
but their private schools is their business. freedom of choice to do whatever they wish.

I'm now only waiting for the separation of mosque and state in many of the islamic countries. maybe not in my lifetime but someday. lol
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:09am On Jul 26, 2007
Esss,Christianity has never been the cause of the worlds ills.
Tell me where Christ encouraged discrimination?
Until then your opinion here makes no sense
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by WesleyanA(f): 1:12am On Jul 26, 2007
babyosisi:

Esss,Christianity has never been the cause of the worlds ills.
Tell me where Christ encouraged discrimination?
Until then your opinion here makes no sense

the KKK claims to be a Christian organization. lol
talk about world ills.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:15am On Jul 26, 2007
If this is not an example of Christianity like other religions being destructive, then what is. All churches should be banned from venturing into any other franchise (because they will only end up promoting more hate and segregation in the society). All church owned Universities, shops, e.t.c should be seized. The finances of churches should be monitored by the government and EFCC. I believe that these pastors are wielding too much power.

Wouldn't you be propagating the same discrimination you condemn?
It is funny how you so called Christians can talk like this and then hide under the banner of political correctness when sharia is at your doorsteps.

Churches or mosques should not be banned but at the same time they must live by the golden rule and respect the civil rights of citizens
Young girls must not wear abayas to get to school in Kano neither do they need a certificate of virginity to go to Covenant.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:16am On Jul 26, 2007
WesleyanA:

the KKK states that it is a Christian organization. lol
talk about world ills.

You still have not answered my question,where did Jesus Christ teach or exemplify that?
Jeffrey Dahmer might as well have claimed he killed and ate his victims for Christ but who asked him to?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 1:17am On Jul 26, 2007
Until trouble start before una go remember say na Naija we dey. Esss, if you had said that about the Muslims that you said about Christians, they would have issued a Fatwa on your head by now. Stop taking our legerliness for granted. And please, don't diss my religion, I am not finding it one bit funny. I never do that to others because I respect them, even if the religion in question is ATR. So respect me for that matter. Thanks.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by WesleyanA(f): 1:19am On Jul 26, 2007
babyosisi:

You still have not answered my question,where did Jesus Christ teach or exemplify that?
Jeffrey Dahmer might as well have claimed he killed and ate his victims for Christ but who asked him to?

jesus definitely doesn't teach discrimination. wink we all know that.
jesus also doesn't teach condemnation. 'cause all you've been doing is condemning Muslims.

And please, don't diss my religion, I am not finding it one bit funny. I never do that to others because I respect them, even if the religion in question is ATR. So respect me for that matter. Thanks.

yeah i agree. all religion should be respected whether it's yours or not.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiori(m): 1:22am On Jul 26, 2007
Ok. Ca suffit déja. Il ne faut pas faire le bagarre avec le réligion.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 1:24am On Jul 26, 2007
Esss:

A university is supposed to be a place where adult minds are groomed, But all these pastors have decided to ridicule the whole thing. Boys don't walk with girls, no relationships, lights out, chapel time, e.t.c. What a joke. I imagine the kind of socially redundant students they are training.

I say amen to ESSS on these statements.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:25am On Jul 26, 2007
WesleyanA:

jesus definitely doesn't teach discrimination. wink we all know that.
jesus also doesn't teach condemnation. 'cause all you've been doing is condemning Muslims.

yeah i agree. all religion should be respected whether it's yours or not.

I would like to answer you but I'll hate to change the topic.
The focus now is on the bizarre stand of this school which I condemn and I'm a christian.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:26am On Jul 26, 2007
naijaking1:

I say amen to ESSS on these statements.

unfortunately you or ess cannot change the quiet and chapel times.
You can always go to Uniben or Nsukka or even unipetrol grin
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Esss(m): 1:26am On Jul 26, 2007
Jesus said, he who is without sin let him cast the first stone.

Oyedepo like other christians today has not only cast the first stone, he brought his own catapult. Isnt it obvious that christians only pick the part of the bible that is convineint for them. If you go ask him, he will show you somewhere in the bible were his actions are justified.

@ chori

I am also supposed to be a christian, but I've seen more than my fair share of hypocricy. What I'm saying is the truth and you know it. I'm really sorry if you feel I'm picking on christianity or your religion, but I'm only saying what I've noticed.

Jesus does not have to preach it, if any part of the bible even gives a slight hint of it then its alright by most christians. Jesus preached love, Mountain of fire preaches "die by fire".
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by k0be: 1:27am On Jul 26, 2007
me thinks it's a precaution.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:31am On Jul 26, 2007
k0be:

me thinks it's a precaution.

from what?
There is no one documented case of HIV infection by casual contacts,even a needle stick from a large bore needle from a know HIV patient has only a 0.3% chance of infecton.
You are more at risk from the millions walking around that don't know they are infected than a known patient.
I didn't know we were this backwards in simple education.
What are the NGO's doing with all these AIDS awareness grants they get ?
Apparently they've done absolutely nothing
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 1:33am On Jul 26, 2007
Keep it real and focused on CU and HIV/pregnancy, not on religion.

I think someone should sue the University. Oyedipo or whatever he is called obviously can't differentiate his university student from a member of his congregation.

I hope he told those students before they got in. I'm personally disappointed in supporting Oyedipo and his congregation.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by k0be: 1:37am On Jul 26, 2007
yes me thinks it is a precaution because many university students do much more than "casual contacts" - if ya know whattaaa mean wink.
Americans take precautions too fyi.

am i being a little too inapprehensive?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:41am On Jul 26, 2007
Oyedepo is a fine Christian so I'm highly dissappointed he is involved with this.
It's such a shame
what about women who are raped?
who doesn't make mistakes?
How about those who got HIV from rapes or blood transfusions.
How about innocent partners of wayward spouses.
Even those who got it by sexual contacts does it make them evil and others good?
who are we to say who is good enough morally to attend our schools when we have fallen short of God's grace too?

God help us all

k0be:

yes me thinks it is a precaution because many university students do much more than "casual contacts" - if ya know whattaaa mean wink.
Americans take precautions too fyi.

am i being a little too inapprehensive?

Immigration is a different matter.
If a student or resident in med school here in the states becomes infected,he or she has to leave and get into other courses but that's due to the nature of the business,I wouldn't want an OBGYN with AIDS and I know no one would want that but to completely kick the individual out of school is not right.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Esss(m): 1:42am On Jul 26, 2007
On the real, The University should be closed and investigated. The Student union shold look into this issue. even embark on a strike action. The affected students should file a class action suit against the university. The gorvernment should keep an eye on all privately owned institutions of higher learning.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 26, 2007
Esss:

On the real, The University should be closed and investigated. The Student union shold look into this issue. even embark on a strike action. The affected students should file a class action suit against the university. The gorvernment should keep an eye on all privately owned institutions of higher learning.

Your government and mine are a big joke.
They should start by giving people water to drink before we'll let them into other things.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by naijaking1: 1:44am On Jul 26, 2007
babyosisi:

from what?
There is no one documented case of HIV infection by casual contacts,even a needle stick from a large bore needle from a know HIV patient has only a 0.3% chance of infecton.
You are more at risk from the millions walking around that don't know they are infected than a known patient.
I didn't know we were this backwards in simple education.
What are the NGO's doing with all these AIDS awareness grants they get ?
Apparently they've done absolutely nothing

Please don't confuse issue by quoting wrong epidemiological figures you can't substantiate. The issue is not about NGOs or AIDS, it about a private nigerian university possibly changing the rules of graduation midway during the game.

If Oyedipo and co. did not tell students from day 1 that you will not graduate with a positive HIV and pregnancy tests, then no matter how many divine inspirations he must recieved, the action remains illegal and improper.
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Chiekezi(m): 1:45am On Jul 26, 2007
So once they pass the tests and are enrolled, what prevents them from contracting HIV or getting pregnant afterwards? Who will pay for the continuous testing this program requires?
Re: Covenant University Stipulates Negative Test To Pregnancy, Hiv As Precondition by Nobody: 1:46am On Jul 26, 2007
naijaking1:

Please don't confuse issue by quoting wrong epidemiological figures you can't substantiate. The issue is not about NGOs or AIDS, it about a private nigerian university possibly changing the rules of graduation midway during the game.

If Oyedipo and co. did not tell students from day 1 that you will not graduate with a positive HIV and pregnancy tests, then no matter how many divine inspirations he must recieved, the action remains illegal and improper.

be careful when you say silly things before you end up sounding like a fool.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Thread For Masters Degree Students / Unn Opens Biggest Library In West Africa / 100 Best Secondary Schools In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.