Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,723 members, 7,955,714 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:35 PM

Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer - Programming (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer (38913 Views)

Make Your BUSINESS Stand Out! Get AFFORDABLE Websites Done Made With Utmost Care / I'm Leaving Nairaland But Not Without A Gift For ALL Programmers! / Priority And Severity In Testing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Emeraldfynest(m): 9:58pm On Aug 26, 2021
Wow, this is quite insightful and further validates the point that Tech is the in-demand field right now.

But I still feel your Degree isn't totally worthless. I'm an Agric student too and honestly, I want to add to my qualifications outside Agric.

I'm trying to get started my learning UI/UX design, depending totally on my certificate isn't a wise idea, the stories I've been hearing about life after graduation aren't appealing at all.

Thanks for your lengthy reply.quote author=TJoshy post=105213128]I studied Microbiology at Unilag, finished NYSC at 2018, got a job same year after 6 months, I started earning 53k and with promotion and increment I earn 100+ now and I have been on the same job for like 3 years + now. The position I hold is an Engineering role and if I leave this job my chance of getting another offer is slim. I have friends that studied Computer Science or Engineering who have changed job like at least twice and earning like 600+ now, There was a guy who we started together, left my current job without any offer because he was so sure he will get an offer because of experience and his degree in Elect Elect, now he works with KRONES and he told me he just got another offer with HUSKY. Give that person a BIG SLAP if he says degree don't matter. I'm a Production Supervisor (Quality Assurance), its better I go for Computer Science (MSc), further my career in Machine Operation, Automation while learning Data Analysis, Programming before shit hits the fan, you feel me? Never let your child study anything outside Computer Science/ Mech Engineering/ Elect Elect or related studies not just any stupid engineering courses as long as they are in Nigeria. Don't let anyone deceive you there are no jobs, because there are, but people ain't just qualified for them. [/quote]
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 2:03am On Aug 27, 2021
Take it or leave it, your Agric degree is worthless. Your fellow in Tech will have it better, they can change job as they want, more prospect. Don't get me wrong, you can get a good job or even create one for yourself, but they are at the advantage if they maximize their potential.

Emeraldfynest:

Wow, this is quite insightful and further validates the point that Tech is the in-demand field right now.

But I still feel your Degree isn't totally worthless. I'm an Agric student too and honestly, I want to add to my qualifications outside Agric.

I'm trying to get started my learning UI/UX design, depending totally on my certificate isn't a wise idea, the stories I've been hearing about life after graduation aren't appealing at all.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Emeraldfynest(m): 3:14am On Aug 27, 2021
No, it isn't worthless, there are equal chances in the attic sector and opportunities for self-employment too.
TJoshy:
Take it or leave it, your Agric degree is worthless. Your fellow in Tech will have it better, they can change job as they want, more prospect. Don't get me wrong, you can get a good job or even create one for yourself, but they are at the advantage if they maximize their potential.

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Excel70: 3:56pm On Aug 31, 2021
Rictech:

Tensa abeg, My frontend is OK, although i have not really started hunting for roles, i am learning backend(django) for now. Nevertheless, I need a junior role
Hi,where can I get resources for backend.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by JapaProfessor: 7:44pm On Aug 31, 2021
ichidodo:
Rwanda is far...What about Namibia or Botswana...

If you can go to Namibia, then you can go to Rwanda. Rwanda has a growing tech hub hence the recommendation.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by ichidodo: 10:27pm On Aug 31, 2021
JapaProfessor:

If you can go to Namibia, then you can go to Rwanda. Rwanda has a growing tech hub hence the recommendation.
How does one migrate to Rwanda?..
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by JapaProfessor: 5:53pm On Sep 01, 2021
ichidodo:
How does one migrate to Rwanda?..

Study.

Find a school, apply, get admission and begin the process of getting a study visa.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by makawhy0101(m): 5:48pm On Sep 03, 2021
I want to learn coding in my mid 30's i think its late to get into it now, Can anyone please mentor me , I been watching resources on Youtube. Cant wrap my head around it.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 03, 2021
makawhy0101:
I want to learn coding in my mid 30's i think its late to get into it now, Can anyone please mentor me , I been watching resources on Youtube. Cant wrap my head around it.
You can do it.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by 4dor: 11:05am On Sep 04, 2021
makawhy0101:

What you need is a structured plan. Google freecodecamp and you'll see everything you need.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by mikael4me: 10:09pm On Sep 04, 2021
makawhy0101:
It's good you get a mentor, because learning to code on your own is no beans, especially if you don't have the foundation (studying computer science in University). No matter how determined you are, watching coding videos on YouTube will put you to sleep many atimes, and also to religiously follow a video of of 3hours might take you like 8hrs with lots of pauses and rewind. However, it's never late to start.. l will advise you start your programing journey with python because it's a multipurpose language that is almost like the English language; after learning the basics of python, you can specialize in python web development using flask and Django frameworks. You can also dabble into data analystics by learning web scrapping, text mining, data visualization, machine learning with your python skill set.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Johnnyessence(m): 1:29am On Sep 05, 2021
mikael4me:
It's good you get a mentor, because learning to code on your own is no beans, especially if you don't have the foundation (studying computer science in University). No matter how determined you are, watching coding videos on YouTube will put you to sleep many atimes, and also to religiously follow a video of of 3hours might take you like 8hrs with lots of pauses and rewind. However, it's never late to start.. l will advise you start your programing journey with python because it's a multipurpose language that is almost like the English language; after learning the basics of python, you can specialize in python web development using flask and Django frameworks. You can also dabble into data analystics by learning web scrapping, text mining, data visualization, machine learning with your python skill set.
yes. 100% right.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 10:38am On Sep 07, 2021
TJoshy:
I studied Microbiology at Unilag, finished NYSC at 2018, got a job same year after 6 months, I started earning 53k and with promotion and increment I earn 100+ now and I have been on the same job for like 3 years + now. The position I hold is an Engineering role and if I leave this job my chance of getting another offer is slim. I have friends that studied Computer Science or Engineering who have changed job like at least twice and earning like 600+ now, There was a guy who we started together, left my current job without any offer because he was so sure he will get an offer because of experience and his degree in Elect Elect, now he works with KRONES and he told me he just got another offer with HUSKY. Give that person a BIG SLAP if he says degree don't matter. I'm a Production Supervisor (Quality Assurance), its better I go for Computer Science (MSc), further my career in Machine Operation, Automation while learning Data Analysis, Programming before shit hits the fan, you feel me? Never let your child study anything outside Computer Science/ Mech Engineering/ Elect Elect or related studies not just any stupid engineering courses as long as they are in Nigeria. Don't let anyone deceive you there are no jobs, because there are, but people ain't just qualified for them.
who then qualified you a trained Microbiologist for the present computer engineering job u have been at for these past years? NEPOTISM isn't it?

U guys just talk anyhow without thinking.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 07, 2021
VeeVeeMyLuv:
who then qualified you a trained Microbiologist for the present computer engineering job u have been at for these past years? NEPOTISM isn't it?

U guys just talk anyhow without thinking.
Ask Questions. I’m a Production Supervisor (Material). There is also production supervisor (technical) where I work. Most companies have them together. If I leave here I don’t have technical background to take that same role as most companies now don’t have them separately. Next time u ask questions Lumberjack. Better trade your worthless degree

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by sosowater: 2:16pm On Sep 08, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

No problemo we would have more opportunities in the coming months just get good and PM me once you are confident to take a job. Our hiring window is closed now but you need to pass our test.

What IT skills do you advice please? I'm thinking of enrolling on a full stack python developer course at Ustacky. Is it still good idea?

Please I'm expecting your answers and other recommendations. Thanks
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:18pm On Sep 08, 2021
sosowater:

What IT skills do you advice please? I'm thinking of enrolling on a full stack python developer course at Ustacky. Is it still good idea?

Please I'm expecting your answers and other recommendations. Thanks

No its not a good idea. Please read the guide I have for newbies its one of my topics and you will see how I will go about it myself.

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by bassette(m): 8:05am On Sep 24, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

No its not a good idea. Please read the guide I have for newbies its one of my topics and you will see how I will go about it myself.
Please I need to know from you how you began your journey into Salesforce. Tools and materials you used. All the assistance you can give to me would be appreciated.

I'm putting this here as I don't know how soon you would respond to a PM, but I would sincerely love to connect with you one on one.
Thank you.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:27am On Sep 24, 2021
bassette:
Please I need to know from you how you began your journey into Salesforce. Tools and materials you used. All the assistance you can give to me would be appreciated.

I'm putting this here as I don't know how soon you would respond to a PM, but I would sincerely love to connect with you one on one.
Thank you.
Start with trailhead it's free and open. Once trailhead is done head to focus on force and buy the exam guide and past questions for the cert you want to pursue and start studying there too. There's some additional resources but those two are the main one that was most helpful.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by bassette(m): 9:52am On Sep 24, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Start with trailhead it's free and open. Once trailhead is done head to focus on force and buy the exam guide and past questions for the cert you want to pursue and start studying there too. There's some additional resources but those two are the main one that was most helpful.

Thank you for your prompt response. Appreciate
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by kennethfranc(m): 10:28am On Sep 24, 2021
@tensazangetsu20
Pls what's the difference between "gigs" and "jobs"

The term is just confusing me
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Avast(m): 7:34am On Sep 25, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Boss what is the prerequisite to start salesforce PD, can a newbie with zero programming knowledge cope?
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:33am On Sep 25, 2021
Avast:

Boss what is the prerequisite to start salesforce PD, can a newbie with zero programming knowledge cope?
Unfortunately you need programming to be a Salesforce developer. Even after you get the certification you will get live coding tests and data structures and algorithms questions from companies. If you can't code, follow the admin path or look at other salesforce products like marketing cloud or cpq.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by lequama10: 9:55am On Sep 25, 2021
The5DME:
I hate Nigeria to be honest.
This is dumb u know, imagine you hating on who and where u are. .
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Avast(m): 10:03am On Sep 25, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Unfortunately you need programming to be a Salesforce developer. Even after you get the certification you will get live coding tests and data structures and algorithms questions from companies. If you can't code, follow the admin path or look at other salesforce products like marketing cloud or cpq.

Thanks
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by yunqdady: 7:45pm On Sep 27, 2021
Bossman:
Some valid points are made here regarding working remotely, for the same high salary, with relatively cheaper cost of living. However, we need to remember that constant power supply and uninterrupted (and very good) internet connection are the key to making that work. As a software guy myself, I have visited Nigeria and have tried to do a bit of remote work on some occasions. It's usually not a very pleasant experience, due to the not so reliable internet connection.

He's a black racist.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Smartlight(m): 12:40pm On Sep 28, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

let say I got salesforce Admistrator certification paying for the exams,what if I decided to get another certificate like developer certification will I still pay for it.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:47pm On Sep 28, 2021
Smartlight:
let say I got salesforce Admistrator certification paying for the exams,what if I decided to get another certificate like developer certification will I still pay for it.
Yeah cert prices ranges from 200 USD to 6000 USD.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 29, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

how was the live coding test @ saleforce boss tenza,was it difficult?.
also sent you a message request,would have posted it here but wouldn't be relevant to these thread.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:25pm On Sep 29, 2021
Meek127:

how was the live coding test @ saleforce boss tenza,was it difficult?.
also sent you a message request,would have posted it here but wouldn't be relevant to these thread.
Not Salesforce the company I am talking about general Salesforce developer tests. You won't be employed without a coding test so you need to know how to code to be a Salesforce developer. Tests can range from being asked to build apps in Salesforce, do some specific Salesforce stuff with code or general data structures and algorithms with relation to Salesforce. Someone who can't code is better off doing admin or marketing because even if you manage to get the developer certs I don't know how it will be possible without knowing to code but let's say even if it were possible it will be very hard to get a job as a salesforce developer.

2 Likes

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 29, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

noted,thanks for the clarity
grin
tensazangetsu20:

noted,thanks for the clarity
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Johnnyessence(m): 2:47pm On Sep 29, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Not Salesforce the company I am talking about general Salesforce developer tests. You won't be employed without a coding test so you need to know how to code to be a Salesforce developer. Tests can range from being asked to build apps in Salesforce, do some specific Salesforce stuff with code or general data structures and algorithms with relation to Salesforce. Someone who can't code is better off doing admin or marketing because even if you manage to get the developer certs I don't know how it will be possible without knowing to code but let's say even if it were possible it will be very hard to get a job as a salesforce developer.
in all one should know how to code. It’s very important oooo.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by toniabella(f): 10:54pm On Nov 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

It's not automatic o but my company's own hiring window is closed. I put it up on WhatsApp groups I am active in when it was open and two people got in. I don't know where they are from though but they were the only ones who did well in our coding test.

I could love to join the group

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Best Programming Language To Learn This 2021: The Beginner's Guide / Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning Group / Nigerian Software Engineer given test to prove he is an engineer at JFK Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.