Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer - Programming (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer (37136 Views)

Make Your BUSINESS Stand Out! Get AFFORDABLE Websites Done Made With Utmost Care / I Need A Programmer For My Project. / I'm Leaving Nairaland But Not Without A Gift For ALL Programmers! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by UncleJudax(m): 5:00pm On Aug 19, 2021
28plus:

Unfortunately, I've tried that and I realized I was wasting my time.
I need a tutor, a good one at that. Where I'll be taught well with projects and group works
if you can't do self-learning...look for a bootcamp.tons of them like codeworks, ...na your cash sha
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Bossman(m): 5:03pm On Aug 19, 2021
You can start with any structured programming language, such as Java. The key thing is to learn the concepts and master it, regardless of the programming language you use.

macjireh:

I am a novice to programming... wat programming language will u advice I start with?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Gfskw: 5:06pm On Aug 19, 2021
Leaving nigeria is priority in all aspects
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Ekg911(m): 5:09pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Oh yes that's why I tell people all the time to learn coding. Infact I have told gerrard59 that when God blesses me the only thing I will do for my homeland is opening a very huge IT centre with a ton of computers for my kinsmen to learn programming. Before I became a programmer I was a mechanic o. I was a mechanic and an auto parts trader with my engineering degree. No job anywhere. I went to volunteer at a mechanic workshop and learnt to fix cars. Left there and went back to ladipo. I was struggling day in day out yet no single Kobo. To even see a 100k in a month was like a huge amount after all expenses were done. It was hell. Even with all the skills I had. I knew digital marketing, how to fix cars yet nothing o. it was a very top guy in the Nigerian tech industry that told me to quit everything I was doing and learn coding. It wasn't easy but everyday I thank God I took that man's advise.

Infact the greatest thing that can lift Nigeria out of poverty now is programming but the greatest hindrance is a laptop and laptops aren't getting cheaper. the laptop I used to learn coding I got it for 75k the same laptop is being sold for at least 140k just in the span of a year.
Boss how far, I be auto mechanic, e no easy. Bro help me ooh
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by VictorOpurum32(m): 5:16pm On Aug 19, 2021
CSTRR:
And for those that say APC and pdp are the same , you are very mad.

PDP is multiple degrees better than APC.

A PDP is sensible enough to know the importance of the tech sector.

Atiku despite how corrupt he is would have been much better for the business climate in Nigeria.

Yes, I said it.

Atiku would have been better for Nigeria than Buhari.
Very true
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 19, 2021
Sheriman:

Everything in Nigeria is becoming worsening. I want to learn 3D Animation but I need a good laptop of 16gig RAM 8GIG Nvidia graphics card worth 500K. No where to get the money nobody to borrow you

3D animation is very good. Learn to start small and them you up your specs. I got a Dell core i7 E7270 up for grabs
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by 4dor: 5:43pm On Aug 19, 2021
TJoshy:
I studied Microbiology in my BSc. I work at an FMCG company as a Quality Assurance. I'm planning now to do a Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science and thereafter I'll do MSc Computer Science at Unilag during this time I'll be learning hard-core programming, I'm 30. I hope it's a good plan.

Terrible Plan!!!! Us that PGD money to buy a decent laptop and internet connection then go to freecodecamp to learn web development for free. That's what most people do. All you need is discipline.

4 Likes

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by McStoic(m): 5:58pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Bros trust me once I leave this country I wilk never come back and I will lay a curse on my generations. Anyone who decides to come back to Africa will die immediately he lands in African country. I shall lay the curse naked. Walai and I also tell my children the same thing. Anyday they return to where I have struggled to escape from they will die.

There's really no job in Nigeria I can come for. Maybe before I became a programmer you can say so. But all the money I make from programming it's white men. Infact my present skillset and how good I am now was my boss that took me under his mentorship and taught me so much. He's a white man. I have brought In two young Nigerians both juniors into the same company and he's also all teaching us. The same people were rejected by companies in Nigeria but na oyinbo man still come give them chance. Through his mentorship I have gone to work on projects that are used by billion dollar companies. Billion with a b o. As for political position, you can forget it. I will never ever contest to Be a politician in the zoo. I never even did my nysc after graduation so that disqualifies me and I don't give a Bleep.

There's really nothing Nigeria has given me I can say yes thank God I am a Nigerian. My university education wasn't even in Nigeria. As for working in Nigeria. I have only worked with a Nigerian company for two months and that was it the rest of my work has been with companies based abroad.

Secondary Citizen lol maybe for other professions not for programmers O. You don't know what is going on now. The tech industry is basically an employee's market now. This other countries I am talking about. Their salaries might not be USA level but they are ten times higher than Nigeria. I won't pay rent. Food will be given to me. This was stated explicitly at the interviews I have done so basically my salary will just be a pocket money. You can feel the desperation in their eyes even during interviews.

As for my family I really wish them well. The only thing I will do is build a house in Ghana for my mom and dad to stay in and bring my sister over immediately she graduates but as for Nigeria once I am done that's it. Even if I come to Africa to visit I will go to another African country and then the person who wants to see me will come there.

Chaiii....this one strong oooo. Bros easy ooo. See as you finish work here.. Naija don really do you strong thing grin
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by McStoic(m): 6:00pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

No problemo we would have more opportunities in the coming months just get good and PM me once you are confident to take a job. Our hiring window is closed now but you need to pass our test.

Bro can I send you a PM. I want to get some advices and insights from you.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by philip0906(m): 6:14pm On Aug 19, 2021
CapitalBank:

I stopped reading when you mentioned tech fraud...

I am sorry, but you belong to the set of Nigerians who mix ponzi scheme with Crypto just because some ponzi used BTC to receive money. There is a difference between a website telling u pay 20k and recieve 100k. Those are not tech companies please and you should know that,

if you don't know something, ask because you are accusing people wrongly.

ALL THESE GUYS ARE FUNDED THROUGH FOREIGN COMPANIES. The money they use to establish these things are not theirs and the investors have stakes up to 70% in the company.

You are simply ignorant of how the sector works and it shameful tha you do it with so much confidence. get some education please.
That guy you quoted, is a retard. His has gone beyond ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by mceze(m): 6:23pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Bros trust me once I leave this country I wilk never come back and I will lay a curse on my generations. Anyone who decides to come back to Africa will die immediately he lands in African country. I shall lay the curse naked. Walai and I also tell my children the same thing. Anyday they return to where I have struggled to escape from they will die.

There's really no job in Nigeria I can come for. Maybe before I became a programmer you can say so. But all the money I make from programming it's white men. Infact my present skillset and how good I am now was my boss that took me under his mentorship and taught me so much. He's a white man. I have brought In two young Nigerians both juniors into the same company and he's also all teaching us. The same people were rejected by companies in Nigeria but na oyinbo man still come give them chance. Through his mentorship I have gone to work on projects that are used by billion dollar companies. Billion with a b o. As for political position, you can forget it. I will never ever contest to Be a politician in the zoo. I never even did my nysc after graduation so that disqualifies me and I don't give a Bleep.

There's really nothing Nigeria has given me I can say yes thank God I am a Nigerian. My university education wasn't even in Nigeria. As for working in Nigeria. I have only worked with a Nigerian company for two months and that was it the rest of my work has been with companies based abroad.

Secondary Citizen lol maybe for other professions not for programmers O. You don't know what is going on now. The tech industry is basically an employee's market now. This other countries I am talking about. Their salaries might not be USA level but they are ten times higher than Nigeria. I won't pay rent. Food will be given to me. This was stated explicitly at the interviews I have done so basically my salary will just be a pocket money. You can feel the desperation in their eyes even during interviews.

As for my family I really wish them well. The only thing I will do is build a house in Ghana for my mom and dad to stay in and bring my sister over immediately she graduates but as for Nigeria once I am done that's it. Even if I come to Africa to visit I will go to another African country and then the person who wants to see me will come there.

Pls, connect me make I learn programming. My email- ezemichaelchukwudi@gmail.com
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Kent04235: 7:29pm On Aug 19, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Yes, I agree with you...anyone who wants to jakpa should. There is no thinking about it. Just Jakpa. But we can still save Nigeria.

Save Nigeria. Kwa

Bro this ain't the gospel of the lord

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Rictech: 7:52pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

No problemo we would have more opportunities in the coming months just get good and PM me once you are confident to take a job. Our hiring window is closed now but you need to pass our test.
Tensa abeg, My frontend is OK, although i have not really started hunting for roles, i am learning backend(django) for now. Nevertheless, I need a junior role
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by drealcivilceno(m): 7:58pm On Aug 19, 2021
grin grin grin grin
4dor:

Terrible Plan!!!! Us that PGD money to buy a decent laptop and internet connection then go to freecodecamp to learn web development for free. That's what most people do. All you need is discipline.

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by drealcivilceno(m): 8:07pm On Aug 19, 2021
philip0906:

That guy you quoted, is a retard. His has gone beyond ignorance.

Dude, people use this platform to run other things, guys have run away with peoples money, making it hard for others to run their own. no jokes ooh!

Investigations are going on, they were not supposed to close their transactions, govt officials will always be like but others that make them have the guts nko. It is that bad that govt Lawyers will have a mouth in the matter def coz our leaders are not learned, their own is to seize any opportunity to pilfer the genuine ones.

If una go and we think that what happened in ghana, will happen in Nigeria, hmmm, an tears and rain for una ooh!
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:09pm On Aug 19, 2021
Rictech:

Tensa abeg, My frontend is OK, although i have not really started hunting for roles, i am learning backend(django) for now. Nevertheless, I need a junior role
It's not automatic o but my company's own hiring window is closed. I put it up on WhatsApp groups I am active in when it was open and two people got in. I don't know where they are from though but they were the only ones who did well in our coding test.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Karleb(m): 8:10pm On Aug 19, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Kids abroad trying to come back to Nigeria with Nigeria in their heart, I felt that o, but let me tell you sir, it's because they have never been to Nigeria that's why!!

grin

I remember when I was young and I desperately wanted to go to my hometown which is a village. There was a day I cried so much because my parents didn't allow me to with one uncle like that.

Years later, I went to my village to see things for myself.

As at now, there is no single bank in my village.
Our market is every 5 days. The last time I went, I got injured by a barber.

These kids think Nigeria is the same as they see on TV. When they come, they stay on the beautiful part of Lagos Island and conclude that's how the whole of Nigeria is.

Issokay. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Rictech: 8:23pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

It's not automatic o but my company's own hiring window is closed. I put it up on WhatsApp groups I am active in when it was open and two people got in. I don't know where they are from though but they were the only ones who did well in our coding test.
Sure, I know it is not automatic.
But please,do let me know when the hiring window is open. Í'd like to get acquainted though as you're a big inspiration. I see similarities between you & mackynaija , the way you guys set out goals & strive towards achieving them is really refreshing & inspiring, it shows that with dedication, one can achieve whatever s/he wants. Keep it up bro.

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Bluntemperor: 8:34pm On Aug 19, 2021
Gerrard59:

In 2000, no one envisaged people would be kidnapped and huge ransoms paid to have them released. Ten years later, kidnappings became rife.

Prior to the late 2000s, no one believed Nigerians will indulge in suicide bombings. Ten years later, suicide bombings became a norm. In 2010, no one ever thought that school children would be kidnapped, raped and some killed or ransoms close to N1BN will be paid for their release. Just more than ten years on, such is rampant.

Currently, aircrafts are being shot down. By 2031, it will become a norm for aircrafts, commercial and military, to be shot down daily.

The Nigeria of today will be a paradise to the Nigeria in the next ten years.

Don't say you were not warned.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Joshuam1(m): 8:38pm On Aug 19, 2021
Can you please drop the link for some of these companies in the countries you mentioned.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 19, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Go and check there degrees, they did it in first class countries not Nigeria

One that's close to me finished from UI.

2 Likes

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by inyanging: 9:06pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

If I have not worked with expatriates and their comments in regard to blacks I will be accepting Ur posits but , those expatriates time without numbers said the preferred black coming to America with root with their people than those trying to claim America BC of good Life , ,SECONDARY CITIZENS CARRIES TAG TAG,for get that mentality, Nigeria is the next thing in this CENTURY, CHINA, UK,AMERICA ETC ,SIGNING, MOU,AGREEMENT, BILATERAL TALK POINT TO ONE GOAL '" AFRICA IS THE FUTURE, AND NIGERIA THE VERY ENGINE"
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:28pm On Aug 19, 2021
4dor:

I just saw this on Facebook and remembered the guy o. This person is even in the whole Baba USA

2 Likes

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I just saw this on Facebook and remembered the guy o. This person is even in the whole Baba USA
I did a worthless degree as an undergraduate (Microbiology) and its hunting me why I want something of prospect, at least i know am also in the tech field, career wise, why am opting for Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science before MSc. in Computer Science, I'll be learning programming while I work. My career will also get a massive turn around as am a Production Supervisor which is normally for engineering field, to get a new job as been irksome.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:56pm On Aug 19, 2021
TJoshy:
I did a worthless degree as an undergraduate (Microbiology) and its hunting me why i want something of prospect, at least i know am also in the tech field, career wise
I also did a worthless degree too marine engineering. What you have been advised here is the best. Use the post graduate money to learn tech skills if change remain you can acquire professional certs like Aws, Magento, Salesforce, servicenow et Al. They are more valuable than any masters from any university in Nigeria.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I also did a worthless degree too marine engineering. What you have been advised here is the best. Use the post graduate money to learn tech skills if change remain you can acquire professional certs like Aws, Magento, Salesforce, servicenow et Al. They are more valuable than any masters from any university in Nigeria.
Okay, thank you boss.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by biosystech: 10:39pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Exactly.
It's mostly what many beginners use to learn before switching to Mac and the fact that it is very light too adds to its allure.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by barnaby04(m): 10:43pm On Aug 19, 2021
I took time to follow this thread from the beginning and indeed encouraged with the zeal of a lot of people to switch to tech. Believe me, tech is the way out of poverty as an African man or woman and the good thing is that you don't need to have a CS degree or a graduate before you can make it in tech. Don't be scared by not having a CS background because most professionals in the tech industry today are self taught and some did not even pass through the four walls of an higher institution.

I read the story of a young Nigerian that was a gateman in one south Eastern state in 2016 and now working with Facebook in London as a product designer without a university or polytechnic certificate. He self taught himself design from YouTube tutorial videos and by divine prodividence got a job offer that relocated him first to Netherlands and later London where he is now with Facebook.

The tech industry is so broad that there are different career pathways or areas in which you can specialize as a tech person aside web development. You can be a cyber security expert, cloud computing, Artificial intelligence, Data Analyst or Scientist, Mobile App Developer, UX/UI/Product designer, network or database administrator. The list is endless.

What a lot of people don't know is that YouTube is the best university or institution you can come across to learn anything in life. Download various video tutorials from this website that will teach you any tech skill in you want in life. For those that want a structured learning path, I advise them to buy a course on Udemy which will take them through all the rudiments and projects to do. The projects you do in the course of your learning will help you build your profile which will help most especially when you are looking for jobs.

Not having a laptop or desktop computer is not an excuse any longer. You can start learning programming on your android phone through these wonderful apps; W3Schools, Sololearn and Code Academy.

Twitter has a thriving tech community which you can follow through #100DaysOfCode and #CodeNewbie. You will learn a lot from successful programmers on twitter from the tips they share regularly and probably get jobs if you are active with good content there.

I wish everyone considering transiting into tech industry the best of luck.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:44pm On Aug 19, 2021
biosystech:
It's mostly what many beginners use to learn before switching to Mac and the fact that it is very light too adds to its allure.
Omho that computer frustrated my life. It was good for learning code but once I got my first job. Sites were taking 3 hours to build. I even upgraded the ram nothing. I just have patience if not I would have broken it when coding.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Coded78: 10:53pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Bro I wish u well
Make u dey help us small ooo
Especially we wey no get money to get out of Nigeria.

Maka na Ike agwugokwanum
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by lordally(m): 11:25pm On Aug 19, 2021
28plus:

Which IT institute did you learn this?
I'm doing one yeye 30k job right now in order for me to save up and enroll in a reputable IT institute to learn coding. Any suggestions?

You can learn this one your own! All you need is

A Laptop
Good power Supply
Programming courses

And you're good to go.

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by lordally(m): 11:30pm On Aug 19, 2021
28plus:

Unfortunately, I've tried that and I realized I was wasting my time.
I need a tutor, a good one at that. Where I'll be taught well with projects and group works

If you're sure you need a tutor then , be ready to cough out like between 300 to 500k for some Bootcamps in Nigeria. But I also thought so like you until my eyes opened. I would advise you download a specific video on any of the desired field of software development you choose to go in. Please don't ask me the area of software development you should go in. That one is Meant for you to research on and choose the one which resonates with your interest.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Project Topics Tips For Computer Science Undergraduates / Top Earners in the Nigerian Software Industry / How To Download Any Udemy Course For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.