Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,591 members, 7,820,122 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer - Programming (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer (37132 Views)

Make Your BUSINESS Stand Out! Get AFFORDABLE Websites Done Made With Utmost Care / I Need A Programmer For My Project. / I'm Leaving Nairaland But Not Without A Gift For ALL Programmers! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by 28plus: 7:38am On Aug 21, 2021
UncleJudax:

if you can't do self-learning...look for a bootcamp.tons of them like codeworks, ...na your cash sha

But e worth am?
I de see one Anchorsoft Academy for Lagos, say na 200k. I never get the money but I de hope to get am Dec. My major problem now be say na north I base, I go need relocate and I never get where to stay for there.

Again, is it worth it?
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Enterprise090(m): 8:31am On Aug 21, 2021
Hi
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 9:24am On Aug 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Please mention me on an old thread and I will do it later today. So many PM's and mentions here.
How do I join the WhatsApp group?
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by lordally(m): 10:16am On Aug 21, 2021
28plus:

But e worth am?
I de see one Anchorsoft Academy for Lagos, say na 200k. I never get the money but I de hope to get am Dec. My major problem now be say na north I base, I go need relocate and I never get where to stay for there.

Again, is it worth it?

You've gotten the answer you seek...I no know why you still won confuse yourself again. Bro since you can raise that 200k that's good oya raise the money , set a target of 7 months for yourself download video on

HTML

CSS( A tutorial video by Maxmillian Schumuller on CSS )

JavaScript ( Download the complete JavaScript by Maxmillian Schumuller )

REACT ( Download the one by Maxmillian Schumuller or the one by Jonas Schemtman )

This is all you need guy!!! I'm telling you out of experience since you're based in the north and don't have a place to stay in Lagos. I'm saying this thing cos yeah you can actually go on a remote learning which is you pay for a training to any of this Bootcamps based in Lagos and learn from home but why do that when you can learn it on your own.

All you need is determination and seriousness. Then another important thing is to join a group of developers on Whatsapp to help out incase you get stuck.

That 200k you won blow. Keep am cos you would need it after your learning so as to move to Lagos for better opportunities.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by MirthOsas(m): 10:28am On Aug 21, 2021
lordally:

set a target of 7 months for yourself download video on

HTML

REACT ( Download the one by Maxmillian Schumuller or the one by Jonas Schemtman )

This is all you need guy!!!
@bolded, you're right! I'm not even halfway through the CSS course yet but my confidence level is high already. I believe this is the best path to follow for anyone who's open to self learning.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by 28plus: 11:19am On Aug 21, 2021
lordally:

You've gotten the answer you seek...I no know why you still won confuse yourself again. Bro since you can raise that 200k that's good oya raise the money , set a target of 7 months for yourself download video on

HTML

This is all you need guy!!! I'm telling you out of experience since you're based in the north and don't have a place to stay in Lagos. I'm saying this thing cos yeah you can actually go on a remote learning which is you pay for a training to any of this Bootcamps based in Lagos and learn from home but why do that when you can learn it on your own.

All you need is determination and seriousness. Then another important thing is to join a group of developers on Whatsapp to help out incase you get stuck.

That 200k you won blow. Keep am cos you would need it after your learning so as to move to Lagos for better opportunities.

Alright man
Thanks a bunch
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by lordally(m): 1:10pm On Aug 21, 2021
28plus:

Alright man
Thanks a bunch

Oya na!! If I hear you ask another similar question here again I go enter bush cut Cain then use am Flog craze comot for ya small yansh o! grin
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by lordally(m): 1:18pm On Aug 21, 2021
MirthOsas:

@bolded, you're right! I'm not even halfway through the CSS course yet but my confidence level is high already. I believe this is the best path to follow for anyone who's open to self learning.

You're absolutely correct bro.. well I'm using A JavaScript video course by Jonas Schemtman and it's amazing... The react video by Maxmillian Schumuller... I never reach React sha...na JavaScript I still dey( Basics of JavaScript )

2 Likes

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by von02: 2:25pm On Aug 21, 2021
richmanrichard:
which programming languages do you have? which one do you think one should learn as a pre-quesite first b4 learning others?

Before you start talking about which programming languages to learn, define your path first.

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by 28plus: 5:22pm On Aug 21, 2021
lordally:

Oya na!! If I hear you ask another similar question here again I go enter bush cut Cain then use am Flog craze comot for ya small yansh o! grin

grin grin
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by dauddy97(m): 5:34pm On Aug 21, 2021
28plus:

grin grin
I can help guide and mentor you about programming. I'm a data scientist, I consultant, tutor both home and abroad. My DM is open, so we roll.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by DonroxyII: 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2021
Gerrard59:

I love you! God bless the day we first interacted.

I LOVE YOU! grin
You can't definitely love that you quoted.... How could you ?

So what about if Europe is nuked and America et al and only Africa Forest has the thickness to safe Humanity ..... Now that he has laid curses... His children will never benefit from Africa as an Haven and Heaven .....

Africa is forever my Love and my Home .... I can travel out but Africa oh, Africa .... we are the bottom of the world but maybe Evolution will smile on us verily !!

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by pixey(m): 7:28pm On Aug 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Na only web development. Trust me bros me I always do what I say. You can go and trace my posts from when I started learning programming here and was even creating threads asking for help on CSS. Those threads are still there. Even getting certified in salesforce. Someone here said that I won't achieve anything with it. The same salesforce is giving me interviews from large corporate firms from all over the world o.
You should try AWS Certified developer.That is my plan.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:37pm On Aug 21, 2021
pixey:
You should try AWS Certified developer.That is my plan.
Check one of my posts. I made a post asking about the three. I chose salesforce and I am bullish on it.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by erubati: 8:40pm On Aug 21, 2021
As e be things o
In fact,my mind dey on summersault bayi
Go for programming even though say I no like am right from my University days.abi make I go for my cyber security or go through networking route.
Abi make I kuku dey gather more money to japa comot for Nigeria.
But I just dey think am.
Me wey no get any hand skills or anything.
Wetin I wan go do if I reach there
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by KushLyon(m): 11:30pm On Aug 21, 2021
lordally:

HTML

Lol, I wonder why the guy wan carry 200k give person when free resources dey everywhere online
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by lordally(m): 11:39pm On Aug 21, 2021
KushLyon:

Lol, I wonder why the guy wan carry 200k give person when free resources dey everywhere online

My brother I tire ooo. grin
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by MirthOsas(m): 12:21am On Aug 22, 2021
KushLyon:

Lots of persons no know say free materials like these dey available online oo
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by MonogramMaster(m): 5:24am On Aug 22, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Tech twitter has been on fire this past few days. First was the new startup law being passed that will see the government taking one percent of startup revenue especially fintechs and the second was the closure of accounts belonging to fintech companies like risevest, investbamboo, and trove. This is just 2 months after the crypto ban.

I predicted this will happen a few months back but some people as usual called me a pessimist. Now, this has happened. They came for gokada first citing stupid reasons yet okadas are still in Lagos driving anyhow. They blocked remittances and made it very difficult to receive money. If you work remotely in Nigeria for a foreign company, you can attest to how difficult it is to receive money. I know people who have lost their jobs just because the companies they work for could not figure out how they could pay them in Nigeria then add the epileptic electricity supply and the bad internet.

If you are a programmer, trust me you are amongst the elite. Walai every day I regret not discovering the tech industry earlier. There's a fucking huge demand for programmers outside the shores of Africa. Latin America, Europe, and Asia. A lot of people think japa and will be thinking USA and Canada. Getting a work visa to these countries as a Nigerian living in Nigeria is almost impossible. It has happened for some people but its not the norm and you should not place your hope on it. The USA has a cap on the amount of work visas that go out every year and those visas most times go to OPT candidates (people who have schooled in the US). Canada doesnt have a cap but they prefer permanent residents or citizens to processing a work visa from scratch for an outsider. Australia same thing.

There are other countries that exist that do not have a cap on work visas and are desperately looking for programmers. These countries can be used as a stepping stone to your final dream destination instead of wasting your life in Nigeria looking for a US or Canadian visa. Countries like portugal, spain, brazil, mexico, vietnam, japan, south korea. The list is endless. These are countries desperately looking for programmers and their work visas arent difficult to get. Their governments are even encouraging tech migration to prepare for the next industrial revolution. As a Nigerian you have a serious advantage getting there. You speak English. English is the unofficial defacto language of the IT industry. If you go on linkedin and search tech jobs in this countries, you would find out that one of the requirements for most of these jobs is professional english proficiency. Their citizens dont have it and a few who have it are headhunted to countries like the US and Canada leaving a huge gap for skilled third worlders like Nigerians to take advantage of. A japanese programmer who speaks english really well can get into the USA easily. Japan has a visa waiver program with the USA and is one of the few countries that shares a working holiday visa with the US. Brazil has one with germany. Uruguay has with sweden. These are countries you should target because their own people are leaving presenting a very huge gap. Once you can get into these countries, leaving to your dream destination isnt too difficult and even if you dont want to leave, these countries have a lot of opportunities for you to build your own tech business. Their governments are very progressive. Their people arent poor or getting poorer and are very open to using technology. Theres another way of getting to the US via L1 company transfer but how many american tech companies exist in Nigeria and whats the size of the engineering team? These countries have as much 2000 to 3000 size engineering teams. You can move there, switch jobs to an american company and request for an L1 company transfer. The possibilities are limitless.

I myself started testing this theory out and I have gotten ten interviews from companies in Ukraine, Poland, Belarus, Vietnam, and Chile. I am in the mid way of 3 and I really hope one goes through as I want to leave the zoo fast.

You might say stay in Nigeria and start a tech business. Well with what the government is doing to startups and the purchasing power of Nigerians reducing everyday, I dont know how that would be viable. NIgeria is so bad to the point that to eat food is a problem. Growing up, Nigeria was never at a level where food will be a problem. Festival periods and we would have food from all our neighbours even the poorest. Now thas not done and the worst is yet to come.

You can say stay in Nigeria and continue remote. Trust me remote work is sweet in your 20s but a sponsorship job is better as you would be provided insurance for, pension plans and all of that which remote work wont give you and remote jobs arent stable especially with small companies. You can lose them anytime and you need to start looking again. Its not bad in your 20s but will you be doing this at 40 and above. Will you be applying to remote jobs at 50 when your mates who migrated are CTOs for fortune 500 companies earning millions of dollars every year while you are looking for scraps in remote.

Make haste o.

Well written.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 12:15pm On Aug 22, 2021
NotGej:
Mr. Moderators and owners of Nairaland, don’t move topics like this to front page.

Nigeria is ours and there’s no body (including God) that will help rebuild, develop etc it if not us.

Let’s all put the supposed God etc aside and hold our leaders accountable by demanding that the right policies and plans are implemented.

We are all cowards in millions. We allow one man or a group of people (less than 1000) plunge our country into calamity. Then we sit back and judge with sentiments (religion, creed, tribe).

SMH

E no go better until we all begin to hold all politicians accountable ( from councilor, lg chairman etc).
If they want to leave,they should leave; no need for them to start spreading panic as if there is a nuke about to go off. Nigeria is bad but it's still very liveable for most people. It's not a must one must go where it's developed...the bulk of humanity still live in developing areas.
The countries they're running to have bled and suffered so much that Nigeria is child's play compared to what they've experienced.
Assuming things were to start going bad there,it will be to port again to another already made country. Very unpatriotic folks.

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by jackest1(m): 12:40pm On Aug 22, 2021
lordally:

HTML

Maxmillian Schumuller
Saving lives since 200BC

2 Likes

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by pixey(m): 12:44pm On Aug 22, 2021
BeLookingIDIOT:

If they want to leave,they should leave; no need for them to start spreading panic as if there is a nuke about to go off. Nigeria is bad but it's still very liveable for most people. It's not a must one must go where it's developed...the bulk of humanity still live in developing areas.
The countries they're running to have bled and suffered so much that Nigeria is child's play compared to what they've experienced.
Assuming things were to start going bad there,it will be to port again to another already made country. Very unpatriotic folks.
I am sorry to say this,You are very naive fellow and do not have an idea of what is going on around you.Before you call them unpatriotic.Are your leaders patriotic? The most important duty of any government is to provide security and good standard of living.You are not into tech and you will never understand how much they want to make this country better but a backward government will never favour technocrats because of self-interest and greed. Progressive government will always favour technocrats because they make their future,security and standard of living 50x better. So go Bleep yourself with your scam patriotism.Idiat! undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 22, 2021
BeLookingIDIOT:

Big words from someone whose leaders buy up properties abroad and get healthcare from the UK while the entire tertiary healthcare has been at a standstill for 3 weeks and counting in the middle of a pandemic.

You don't get to call anyone unpatriotic.

Nobody wishes their country would go from promising to literal sh!t.

4 Likes

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 22, 2021
BeLookingIDIOT:

And your so called "patriotic" leaders have multiple nationalities. Just shut up if you don't have better things to say.

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by lordally(m): 7:57pm On Aug 22, 2021
jackest1:

Maxmillian Schumuller
Saving lives since 200BC

I swear guuuuuuuuuy!!!
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by betshopagent(m): 9:22am On Aug 25, 2021
[
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by betshopagent(m): 9:24am On Aug 25, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Na only web development. Trust me bros me I always do what I say. You can go and trace my posts from when I started learning programming here and was even creating threads asking for help on CSS. Those threads are still there. Even getting certified in salesforce. Someone here said that I won't achieve anything with it. The same salesforce is giving me interviews from large corporate firms from all over the world o.
baba pls can i learn these progrmming languages(css, html&javascript) on any laptop? Like, can it be downloaded n runned on any laptop?
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Emeraldfynest(m): 10:54am On Aug 26, 2021
Ah, for you to call a degree you spent 4 years to acquire worthless, your eyes must have seen a lot in the labour market, what are your reasons boss, mind sharing?
TJoshy:
I did a worthless degree as an undergraduate (Microbiology) and its hunting me why I want something of prospect, at least i know am also in the tech field, career wise, why am opting for Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science before MSc. in Computer Science, I'll be learning programming while I work. My career will also get a massive turn around as am a Production Supervisor which is normally for engineering field, to get a new job as been irksome.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 26, 2021
Emeraldfynest:
Ah, for you to call a degree you spent 4 years to acquire worthless, your eyes must have seen a lot in the labour market, what are your reasons boss, mind sharing?

Obviously, no labour market for such degree in Nigeria but I know someone who got a job with her microbiology degree immediately she got to Canada.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Gerrard59(m): 9:29pm On Aug 26, 2021
DonroxyII:
You can't definitely love that you quoted.... How could you ?

So what about if Europe is nuked and America et al and only Africa Forest has the thickness to safe Humanity ..... Now that he has laid curses... His children will never benefit from Africa as an Haven and Heaven .....

Africa is forever my Love and my Home .... I can travel out but Africa oh, Africa .... we are the bottom of the world but maybe Evolution will smile on us verily !!

Europe and America can never be nuked. No one will dare. The west still possess power, neither China nor Russia will attempt to nuke a western country. As for Africa especially Sub-Saharan Africa, it's going to be the new epicentre for Islamic terrorism. Once Nigeria becomes islamised, it will be the world's largest training centre for islamists.

1 Like

Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 26, 2021
Emeraldfynest:
I studied Microbiology at Unilag, finished NYSC at 2018, got a job same year after 6 months, I started earning 53k and with promotion and increment I earn 100+ now and I have been on the same job for like 3 years + now. The position I hold is an Engineering role and if I leave this job my chance of getting another offer is slim. I have friends that studied Computer Science or Engineering who have changed job like at least twice and earning like 600+ now, There was a guy who we started together, left my current job without any offer because he was so sure he will get an offer because of experience and his degree in Elect Elect, now he works with KRONES and he told me he just got another offer with HUSKY. Give that person a BIG SLAP if he says degree don't matter. I'm a Production Supervisor (Quality Assurance), its better I go for Computer Science (MSc), further my career in Machine Operation, Automation while learning Data Analysis, Programming before shit hits the fan, you feel me? Never let your child study anything outside Computer Science/ Mech Engineering/ Elect Elect or related studies not just any stupid engineering courses as long as they are in Nigeria. Don't let anyone deceive you there are no jobs, because there are, but people ain't just qualified for them.
Re: Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 26, 2021
Citygal:

Obviously, no labour market for such degree in Nigeria but I know someone who got a job with her microbiology degree immediately she got to Canada.
Yeah, trust me you are right on this, its worthless in this country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Project Topics Tips For Computer Science Undergraduates / Top Earners in the Nigerian Software Industry / How To Download Any Udemy Course For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.