Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,218 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call (31272 Views)

What Do You Hate About Your Job Or Place Of Work? / The 'famous' Nigerian Female Police Officer Still Beautiful In Makeup Free Photo / Nine Things Nigerian Bankers Hate About Their Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Diffdeef(m): 5:43pm On Aug 23, 2021
At least the people in your profession are paid well unlike some.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by victorazy(m): 5:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
What do I want to say sef
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by gafman222: 5:45pm On Aug 23, 2021
God will reward all ur efforts and bless all healthcare workers all over the world

4 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Dreambeat: 5:49pm On Aug 23, 2021
As a doctor, like most of my colleagues, I hate being on call but you can't run away from it in most instances. In most specialties, calls are a must. Moreover that is where the bulk of your take home pay comes from.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by kambili999(f): 5:50pm On Aug 23, 2021
Being a doctor in Nigeria is a herculean task. Now being on call, its unpredictable. Sometimes you get it so easy and you enjoy the call in your call room undisturbed. Other times, you don't even get to put your head against your pillow. You are on your feet for 24hours.

But in all, the beauty and satisfaction of health care is seeing that patient who came to you at the verge of death smiling in a healthy state, being discharged from the hospital. God be praised.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Adeoye11(m): 5:51pm On Aug 23, 2021
Allbibcan say is God bless our doctors,
I know wetin my eyes saw, when my papa still dey active service.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Prenonjebose: 5:54pm On Aug 23, 2021
Like someone said, God bless healthcare professionals. . You can not but feel pity for them. Some of the ladies among them,having doctor husbands, still have children to give some attention to
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Oyerinde16(m): 5:55pm On Aug 23, 2021
I really envy doctors and I say kudos, I was sick recently and a doctor placed me on admission and drips, I had taken drips uptil like 10pm when the doctor on night said its better I go home that night, but I objected and preferred to stay till the next morning... What I saw with my two naked eyes through that night was an I saw, if I had known I would have gone home... I saw them rushed people in pain, psychological disturbed people, accident victims with blood dripping, I saw what I shouldn't have seen, the two doctors on call at the emergency units were kept busy all through the night, the next morning I left there and never to be admitted in an open ward again, I would rather pay anything to get a private ward, But in all I give it to God, then the docs...

6 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Iliveforever(m): 5:57pm On Aug 23, 2021
BigCabal:
Being on call as a medical doctor means that being on standby, ready to work on anything that needs your attention immediately. In this article, five Nigerian female doctors talk about the things they hate about being on call.

Dr Chichi

What I hate most about being on call is being on call. I work in a big hospital and we get a lot of patients every day. During the day, I struggle with the pressure that comes with a full hospital of sick people needing urgent care and my anxiety as I try to work through it. I can be performing surgery on one person while another person is crashing in that moment. On most days, I come in earlier than 8 AM and leave later than 5 PM. It takes a lot from me. Sometimes, I cry to release the tension.

I hate that patients often expect doctors to just know what’s going on with them and have an immediate solution. They don’t care what happens to the doctors or how they feel. On a good day, I only get four hours of sleep. Sometimes, I don’t even have enough time to shower before starting work in the morning. I miss out on a lot — events, intimate time with loved ones, friends and family milestones. What keeps me going is thinking about my bed or spending time with my friends and family. Sometimes, I wish my patients would spend a day in my shoes, maybe then, they will be nicer to their doctors.

Dr Olayide

Being on call almost always means you will be working through the night. There are more emergencies to attend to at night and more referrals to be made. I hate when patients have to be referred to a different hospital at night so being able to help anxious patients without referrals is one of my biggest joys when I am on call.

Dr Ayo

I don’t mind being on call at night because I have gotten used to it. I work in a private hospital so the workload is less than it is during the day but that changes anytime. During call at night, there are fewer people at work so the atmosphere is relaxed and commuting is easier and faster.

During my internship a few years ago at a tertiary hospital, I was scared of walking alone at night because there were many reports of people who got robbed or assaulted. I would run from my room to the wards or the emergency rooms but I feel safer now. Aside from that fear, I am always happy for the little things like a newborn and a happy mother. The truth is during call, you never know what you will get.

Dr Kakamor

During calls, I sleep less. I spend most of my time on-call on my feet, which means back pain is my friend. On some days, the work can be endless and I don’t get a break until the following morning. Sometimes, I end up going home during the weekend because of an overload of work. On other days, it can be calm. That’s when you will see doctors smiling. Having to deal with too many things at the same time strains the mind. Sometimes it’s so bad that I am already unhappy thinking about the next shift while I am on one.

During calls, food is the last thing on my mind and this is what makes doctors collapse on the job. The crazy thing is that you can be on call for a whole week, dragging your grumpy self around, stealing short periods of sleep in uncomfortable call rooms with mosquitoes or rats. Some days, there might be no water to even freshen up.

Another thing that frustrates me during calls is working with nurses that do not like to do their work. They will call my attention to every little thing, even when it’s something within their job description. Regardless of all this, I love what I do even though the hardship in the Nigerian hospitals is so unnecessary.

Dr Adetola

I hate the fact that calls deprive me of rest because emergencies could come in at any time and I have to be on my toes. Calls are almost always tedious and unpredictable. However, when you work at night in some departments, you get the next day off. Personally, I prefer working at the obstetrics and gynaecology department because most of the cases are usually similar and that takes the edge for me.

Source: https://www.zikoko.com/her/5-nigerian-female-doctors-talk-about-what-they-hate-about-being-on-call/

Please I have a serious question to ask.
Why do hospitals reject gun shot patients and ask them to go and get a police report, when you know it’s a crazy task that moment.

You guys are on strike because of money, no problem about that but don’t you guys think this law stopping hospitals from treating such patients should be one of the reasons you guys should be on strike??

In America, when a gunshot patient comes in, they first call the police secretly and also start proper medication almost immediately because such patient might’ve been a victim of armed robbery or other issues.

Please you guys should look into this.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by MrFinbarr(m): 6:01pm On Aug 23, 2021
Triangles1:
Despite the fact that doctors see kpekus on daily basis majority of them are womanizer.

Shut up please. This silly generalization is becoming really annoying and stale. I hate it that every time I introduce myself as a doctor, next remark I get is "doctors like women".... Like, wtf!!!

I don't even understand where that generation stems from because a good number of my male colleagues are very responsible and reserved men. Enough of this stupidity!!!

8 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Hassanmaye(m): 6:05pm On Aug 23, 2021
Bobotic:
What about those that need Urgent Money before attending to a serious patient?

This 9ja we country sef cry
Hahah
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Babastrong(m): 6:06pm On Aug 23, 2021
Please i want to know how you're coping seeing men joysticks in the hospital? and male doctors handling women tonto?
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by DBestDoc(f): 6:06pm On Aug 23, 2021
Iliveforever:

Please I have a serious question to ask.
Why do hospitals reject gun shot patients and ask them to go and get a police report, when you know it’s a crazy task that moment.

You guys are on strike because of money, no problem about that but don’t you guys think this law stopping hospitals from treating such patients should be one of the reasons you guys should be on strike??

In America, when a gunshot patient comes in, they first call the police secretly and also start proper medication almost immediately because such patient might’ve been a victim of armed robbery or other issues.

Please you guys should look into this.

The law has been abolished.
Patients with Gunshot injuries are attended to without presenting a police report. This is the practice in federal tertiary institutions as far as I know.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Cousin9999: 6:07pm On Aug 23, 2021
What they do is definitely appreciated.

But being a doctor isn't for lazy people who complain about goofy things. If they don't like it, they can sell akara.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by SmartyPants(m): 6:09pm On Aug 23, 2021
I surmise that Dr. Chichi chose the wrong profession for her disposition.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by drlaykay(m): 6:11pm On Aug 23, 2021
jaeyking:
You knew about the profession before jumping into it
So don't come and disturb us
90perc didn't know because they chose to become a doctor at very tender age.
A 16 year old filling medicine in JAMB, wouldn't understand the nitty gritty of work schedules. So change your mindset.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Iliveforever(m): 6:13pm On Aug 23, 2021
DBestDoc:

The law has been abolished.
Patients with Gunshot injuries are attended to without presenting a police report. This is the practice in federal tertiary institutions as far as I know.

Thanks for the reply, but until it’s fully practiced in all medical facility, then more innocent souls won’t be lost.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Kevinsamba: 6:26pm On Aug 23, 2021
Sense resides very far form you and the person's who have liked and will like your comment.
jaeyking:
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 23, 2021
DropsMic:
Doctors wey remain for Nigeria are those wey just graduate newly wey go soon Japa and those wey don tire to dey write PLAB test... The really good ones don Japa tey tey.

Virtually all my medical friends are now practicing abroad. Even those wey been dey form patriotism when reality hit them, them sef Japa.
Asif it's easy to get money to book those exams or even pass them
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by bizzibodi(m): 6:29pm On Aug 23, 2021
Going through medical school is stressful,now working as a doctor is also stressful.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Dagger111(m): 6:30pm On Aug 23, 2021
Greystone:

Amen.

Not just we doctors.

God bless all our healthcare workers.

U sha want us to knw you are a native doctor. Well done.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 23, 2021
Babastrong:
Please i want to know how you're coping seeing men joysticks in the hospital?
and male doctors handling women tonto?
You live a useless life

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by joyandfaith: 6:33pm On Aug 23, 2021
DropsMic:
Doctors wey remain for Nigeria are those wey just graduate newly wey go soon Japa and those wey don tire to dey write PLAB test... The really good ones don Japa tey tey.

Virtually all my medical friends are now practicing abroad. Even those wey been dey form patriotism when reality hit them, them sef Japa.

There are still good doctors on ground.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Horlarwaileh(m): 6:35pm On Aug 23, 2021
Nigerians and ungrateful. People are clamouring for employment while some are complaining of their job stress.
You only talked on your job stress but not on your salary.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Greystone: 6:35pm On Aug 23, 2021
Dagger111:

U sha want us to knw you are a native doctor. Well done.

Lol... grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Contango(m): 6:40pm On Aug 23, 2021
Me, my own be say...I dey find female doctor to date. Non doctors, kindly stay off cheesy
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by angelfallz(m): 6:42pm On Aug 23, 2021
Lol being on call is similar any where in the world. The most likely difference is that the doctor to patient ratio is better in western countries.

DropsMic:

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by MrHealth(m): 6:43pm On Aug 23, 2021
I need a Medical Practitioner I can Intern With for 3 Months or so.

I'm making a full career switch to the Medical line soonest.

I want to know how it feels and prepare myself.

I think I'm going to enjoy the experience
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by angelfallz(m): 6:43pm On Aug 23, 2021
Doctors are really trying, especially Nigerian doctors. Kudos to them.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:44pm On Aug 23, 2021
jaeyking:

They actually didn't.

Most made the decision as uninformed teenagers.

What does one know as a Jambite? Just the romanticized version of anything really.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by Babastrong(m): 6:47pm On Aug 23, 2021
[quote author=anastasius post=105104574] You live a useless life. Yes as useless as that of Nigerians.
Re: 5 Nigerian Female Doctors Talk About What They Hate About Being On Call by symbianDON(m): 6:49pm On Aug 23, 2021
Greystone:

Amen.

Not just we doctors.

God bless all our healthcare workers.
not just healthcare workers; God bless all workers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ikechukwu Ikeji, Lawyer & Pastor Dies (Photo) / Pictures Of How I Stylishly Resumed Work Yesterday (pics) / Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.